Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th November 2004, 03:49   #1  |  Link
ursamtl

V.I Stereo to 5.1 Converter VST Plugin Suite

V.I Stereo to 5.1 Converter VST Plugin Suite
V.I is a 2-input, 6-output VST plugin that converts a two-channel stereo input to a six channel output in 5.1 format.

Also included: fLfR, CLFE, and sLsR are 2-in/2-out VST plugins duplicating V.I’s effects in channel pairs in VST hosts that do not support 2-in/6-out multichannel plugins:
  • fLfR duplicates V.I’s front channels:
  • CLFE duplicates V.I’s Center and LFE channels:
  • sLsR duplicates V.I’s rear surround channels:
(Note: the plugin “II” that was distributed with Beta versions of V.I has been replaced by sLsR.)

Contents of This Guide
Features
New Plogue Bidule Layouts
Required Software
Using V.I with Plogue Bidule
Using V.I in Steinberg Cubase SX Or Nuendo
Using V.I with audio editing programs or players
V.I Web Site
Feedback

Features
These plugins server as a follow-up to the original V.I bidule layout and incorporates several improvements. Here are some of its notable features.
  • Width correction helps compensate for source files that were mixed too narrow or too wide.
  • Independent controls for adding ambience to the front or rear soundstage.
  • Pass-through of original left and right signals ensures accurate reproduction of original stereo imaging (when not in Movie Mode).
  • Companion fLfR, CLFE, and sLsR VST plugins duplicate V.I’s effects in channel pairs in VST hosts that do not support multichannel plugins such as V.I
  • (Guide coming VERY soon)
  • Movie Mode switch redirects some dialog frequencies from front left and right channels to the center channel to enhance dialog while still maintaining a good stereo soundstage.
  • On/off control for A-B monitoring of effect.
  • Switchable LFE channel.
  • V.I has been tested in various multichannel hosts such as Plogue Bidule, Audiomulch, Sound Forge 9, and Steinberg Cubase SX or Nuendo versions 2.x or later.
  • The 2-in/2-out fLfR, CLFE, and sLsR plugins have been tested successfully in Adobe Audition 1.5-2.0, Steinberg Wavelab 5.0, Kristal Audio Engine, Cakewalk Sonar 5 Producer Edition, and Sony Vegas 6.
V.I is a VST plugin designed to convert a stereo input to a 5.1 audio output. You can then encode this data into a surround sound file using appropriate software.

V.I cannot go back into a recording studio and separate the original multitrack audio into separate channels, but it can extract ambience information embedded in the stereo audio and redistribute it among 5.1 channels for playback on home theater equipment capable of decoding surround sound information. Recording engineers, audio engineers and enthusiasts have been doing this kind of thing for years in one way or another. V.I simply combines some of their techniques in one VST plugin.

Yeah but isn't V.I just "double stereo" with some filters
No, V.I is not just "double stereo." I'll get technical for a minute. To ensure a stable soundstage, V.I starts with the original front left and right channels from the stereo source file, but then it builds on them with a combination of crosstalk cancellation and second-order Ambisonics for the front ambience. Try the slider called Front Ambience and see how you like it. Even without any rear channels, the sound on some recordings seems to jump out of the speakers and take on a life of its own! For the rear surrounds, V.I extracts ambience using a modified second-order Ambisonic approach. In fact, inside the V.I plugin, there are over 300 software connections similar to the kinds you would find in modular programs such as Plogue Bidule, Audiomulch, etc. This may sound complicated but the result is a smooth, natural surround effect.

As for filters, there are only two: one for the LFE if you choose to use it, another for Movie Mode, again if you choose to use it. Any other sound that seems to be filtered is just the natural result of proven Ambisonic techniques.

If you have a computer with a 5.1 soundcard and speakers, try listening to music going through V.I and then switch it off and on a couple of times using the button on the plugin. Whenever you turn V.I on, notice how the instruments and sounds seem to remain in basically the same place but suddenly become three-dimensional as if you were standing in the room with them.

Required Software
You can download V.I VST Suite here (3.8MB):
V.I Suite Installer or V.I Suite Zip file
IMPORTANT#1: This installer automatically checks your PC's registry for the current shared VST Plugins folder and defaults to installing the plugin in this folder. Be sure the VST host program you use (Plogue Bidule, Cubase, Nuendo, etc.) is set to read this directory. If your system does not have a default VST directory, the V.I Suite installer will place the files in a subdirectory of your Program Files folder called "V.I Suite." Of course, you can change this during the installation to whatever destination you wish.

IMPORTANT#2: The process of extracting ambience from a stereo recording can result in files that occasionally contain transient peaks exceeding 0dB, resulting in distorted sound. If your playback levels are too high, you may damage your equipment, and at the very least end up with a distorted file. Always use a limiter on the V.I, fLfR, CLFE, and sLsR outputs. These plugins are free to use at your own risk. The author of the V.I Suite plugins, Steve Thomson, assumes no responsibility for any damage as a result of their use or misuse.

Don't let this warning dissuade you, just be careful with your levels and follow directions.

Using V.I with Plogue Bidule
For Plogue Bidule users, I’ve created three Bidule layouts for V.I on its own, or with additional reverb effects for the rear channels. The V.I Suite installation program prompts you at the end to install these layout files if you have Plogue Bidule. If you don't currently have Bidule but intend to get it at some point, you can still install the layouts anyway. The installer will place them in your V.I Suite support files directory.

All three layouts feature a “5.1 OUTPUT” group that implements two essential tools used by professional sound engineers, dithering for converting output files to 16-bit format, and limiting to prevent clipping. You'll also need to install additional files available from other third-party sites. For links to the files and instructions, see:Using V.I in Steinberg Cubase SX Or Nuendo
To use V.I with Steinberg Cubase SX or Nuendo versions 2.x or later, see:Using V.I with audio editing programs or players
V.I guides on Other Sites
V.I Web Site
For instructions on using the V.I controls, see the manual PDF that's installed with the software or check out the V.I web site.

Feedback
If you have any questions or comments about V.I or its companion plugins, please feel free to contact UrsaMtl.

Happy surrounding!
UrsaMtl

Last edited by ursamtl; 17th April 2007 at 22:49.
ursamtl is offline   Reply With Quote