Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 19th January 2004, 03:03   #1  |  Link
cptshamrock

2 DVDshrink questions

1) Is there any advantage in burning dvd-decrypter as opposed to having the program write directly with nero? because ive been using imgtool and would like to speed up the process by using nero.

2) I read in this thread that DVDshrink changes the aspect ratios. Does this mean that the quality of the dvd in question is compromised more so because the picture size is also being changed?

thanks
cptshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2004, 05:02   #2  |  Link
ablindog

1) Is there any advantage in burning dvd-decrypter as opposed to having the program write directly with nero? because ive been using imgtool and would like to speed up the process by using nero.

My thoughts are that if it plays properly in your player and of equal quality one method is good as the next and I always like to save a little time. I use Nero.

2) I read in this thread that DVDshrink changes the aspect ratios. Does this mean that the quality of the dvd in question is compromised more so because the picture size is also being changed?

I reread the thread, twice, and didn't catch a reference to changing the aspect ratio. That being said, and it doesn't mean a reference is not there, DVDShrink does not change the aspect ratio, you can choose to shrink to stills one of the two if both full and wide are available on your disc and save a lot of space in the process. Or, just strip it out using one of the tools available.

HR

thanks
ablindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2004, 05:46   #3  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Re: 2 DVDshrink questions

@cptshamrock

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally posted by cptshamrock
I believe in DVD Shrink it is referred to as custom "compression" ratio and not custom "aspect" ratio. They are two different ratios. Your post did tend to confuse me but I really think you meant to say compression ratio.
Old 19th January 2004, 06:50   #4  |  Link
cptshamrock

i actually did mean aspect ratio as said by mrbrass in this posting (the 8th posting in the thread), in the section that says "code" so i was wondering about the shrink vs. recode comparison of aspect ratio.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@daehkcid
I know recode2 has 'merge' titles so as it's seamless playback without a pause. DVDShrink doesn't have this but I guess I never tested but I'd think you should be able to click next chapter on your remote to get to the next title (next vob).

Quality between recode2 and 3.1.1 ...transcoding. I highly doubt there's any difference but that's in my own testing and what a few others have said.

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Differences
Recode2 ------------------------- DVDShrink 3.1.1
lock aspect ratio --------------- custom ratio
merge titles -------------------- none..slight pause
none ---------------------------- built-in decryption
remove titles in Full Disk mode-- Still pictures only about 50%
can save detailed log file ------ none
can't cancel shutdown ----------- have 2 mins to cancel shutdown
dvd data files support ---------- must use autoshrinkiso
analyzing compression graph ----- shows percentage
nero6 comes with recode2 -------- need nero to burn--------------------------------------------------------------------------------