Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 5th October 2008, 21:54   #1  |  Link
plonk420
amd & h.264 fanboy

Wiki-izing x264/FFmpeg switches

sorry, Dark Shikari, i'm too impatient to wait for a reply to your PM (are you ignoring me :P anyways?)

do any if you people who have created one of those x264-to-FFmpeg switch conversion guides mind if i put it on one of the wikipedia projects? i'm partly doing it for myself to learn more about what some of the switches actually do since i minimally mess with MeGUI's default options (save for the obvious quality improvers).

i'll give attribution... just be aware it becomes some variation of the GNU/creative commons/whatever license...
plonk420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 22:35   #2  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

There's already a ton of wiki-ized x264 options on the MeGUI wiki, why not put it there?
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 22:43   #3  |  Link
plonk420
amd & h.264 fanboy

where?

i was hoping for a solution that would be guaranteed to be around (as long as a "guarantee" can be in this world of collapsing Yahoos and DVD Decrypter nearly being wiped off the internet). too many sites disappear eventually. i don't see the wikisites disappearing (or if they do, there at least MIGHT be a warning where people could download a backup copy), MAYBE hydrogenaudio, if they allow an exception for this situation...

edit: doom9 could always open a wiki

Last edited by plonk420; 5th October 2008 at 22:48.
Old 5th October 2008, 23:14   #4  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post

edit: doom9 could always open a wiki
you ganna pay for it?
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 23:28   #5  |  Link
plonk420
amd & h.264 fanboy

isn't it just a matter of setting it up? unless doom9 only uses (and is only able to make use of) static pages (plus tons and tons of bandwidth)...

i'd offer, but i don't know the ins and outs of the security behind it... i screwed up my own wiki test quite nicely and spammers filled up the db to the point where all i could do was delete that db, rendering the wiki unaccessable...

edit: found the MeWiki...

Last edited by plonk420; 5th October 2008 at 23:30.
Old 6th October 2008, 05:57   #6  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
isn't it just a matter of setting it up? unless doom9 only uses (and is only able to make use of) static pages (plus tons and tons of bandwidth)...

i'd offer, but i don't know the ins and outs of the security behind it... i screwed up my own wiki test quite nicely and spammers filled up the db to the point where all i could do was delete that db, rendering the wiki unaccessable...

edit: found the MeWiki...
not all the mirrors on doom9 support dynamic content(I didn't know hosts still existed that don't)
my mirror usually goes through more than 30gb/month
so the wiki would need to handle at least that, plus a few million connections/queries

tl;dr: need moar sever
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 07:06   #7  |  Link
plonk420
amd & h.264 fanboy

...like one of wikipedia/wikimedia's servers? (if it falls under one of their categories of "larnin'")

Last edited by plonk420; 6th October 2008 at 07:11.
Old 6th October 2008, 07:53   #8  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

http://x.somestuff.org/doku.php?id=x264:main
(the db could be made available for download)
p.s. somehow i didn't find the time to work on it more.
Old 6th October 2008, 14:47   #10  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

MeWiki is going to be alive indefinitely. I have no intention of ever shutting it down at this point, and I'm willing to continue paying for hosting for it. You can put content up there without worry. (furthermore, you can ask for a database dump anytime you'd like).

If someone wants to work on the x264 settings page I have semi completed there they are welcome to!
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 15:31   #11  |  Link
Avenger007
Bruce Wayne

http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/Me...ng_Guide/Video, which is still relevant to many users, needs some serious updating.
I mean, are there guides that are as widely known as the MeWiki guides that show how to use the latest version of MeGUI to rip & encode in a comprehensive step-by-step manner and always stay up-to-date with the latest x264 API changes and MeGUI changes?
That is what I expect from the MeWiki guides.

for having the site and guides up there in the first place; it's a good start, but the site has a LOT more potential (imagine being the official wiki for the new x264 site ).
Avenger007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 15:47   #12  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

You want it updated? You got the job sonny!

I am but one man, and one man without that endless wellspring of motivation that others on this forum seem to possess. I edit when I feel like it, and not when I don't.

If you want something improved, you can do it!
You want the basic guide updated to work with the latest MeGUI? Do it!
You want a new guide added to explain how to use newer features of MeGUI? Do it!

It's easy to ask for changes on a wiki. Luckily, it's easy to make those changes too . Don't be worried about putting up bad content, there's no such thing. All the pages started as empty husks. Here's an example of something I'm working on right now. It's a wiki, so every revision a little more will be added. From great oaks, little acorns grow!
Old 6th October 2008, 16:18   #13  |  Link
mitsubishi

I thought about making an updated options page before and sending it in, but was too afraid of getting it wrong
mitsubishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 16:48   #14  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

If you submit a page that's right, I'll love you forever. If you submit a page that's partly wrong, I'll fix the wrong parts and be glad you wrote the rest! If it's fully wrong, I'll be glad you submitted an outline for the page and rewrite it.

No matter what, submitted content results in a win for you, me and the readers. Seriously.
Old 6th October 2008, 21:08   #15  |  Link
plonk420
amd & h.264 fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
There's already a ton of wiki-ized x264 options on the MeGUI wiki, why not put it there?
so, Dark Shikari, may i put your guide on the MeGUI site? (well, i'll probably start with CCing it, then if i can wrap my finger around the description, maybe reword or pull ideas from descriptions from other switch explainations/conversion charts)
Old 6th October 2008, 23:05   #16  |  Link
Avenger007
Bruce Wayne

I found this site, http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wi...or_DVD_to_H264.
It looks cool (step-by-step), but not exactly up-to-date.

http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/Encoding_Video seems to have more comprehensive steps/subsections.
Avenger007 is offline   Reply With Quote