Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th August 2018, 21:34   #1  |  Link
mp3dom

Abnormal bitrate and quality drop

Using x264 on blurays (high bitrates and vbv)

Under certain unknown circumstances, there are significant bitrates and very visible quality drop on scene changes. Generally, it appears more often when the previous scene is quite complex with some particles effects (snow falling, fire crackles, and so on...). The bitrate drop is very pronunced, it can be even 5x lower than expected.
The problem propagates for no more than a gop (on bluray it translates to 1 second), infact, the *same* scene, after that second, "regain" its bitrate and continue with good quality. I'm not even able to fix it with the use of zones, because with zones I can fix that scene a bit (albeit x264 totally ignore my bitrate multiplier but still it raise the bitrate in a decent way) but the problem is then "shifted", and just after the zone ends, the same bitrate drop appear.

This is an example:

As you can see here, after a scene change (new scene), the bitrate drops enormously (notice the next six B/P frames with their very low size). Then at the next gop (same scene I frame), the bitrate returns to its right value and so the quality.

The quality in that zone is really low, with lots of compression artefacts... and the average bitrate of the stream should be 33 Mbps.

Also, I would like to point out that it's not happening with a particular x264 release... I already encoutered this type of problem with elder x264 revisions. Depending on the footage, on a general 2 hrs movie this may happens 3-4 times. With the movie I'm working on now (action anime), it's happening 15 times

Last edited by mp3dom; 15th August 2018 at 21:50.
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote