Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 7th February 2006, 01:23   #61  |  Link
bond

so elder propably feeds mp4box with a wrong or incomplete muxing command so it doesnt mux all of the chunks

btw are there more than one video stream in the mp4 created by elder?

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 01:30   #62  |  Link
Professional Lemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond
so elder propably feeds mp4box with a wrong or incomplete muxing command so it doesnt mux all of the chunks

btw are there more than one video stream in the mp4 created by elder?
Gonna print the mux command in the next beta for your convenience. Then you can tell me if the command line is wrong or mp4box is misbehaving.

bis besser,
T0B1A5
Old 7th February 2006, 01:34   #63  |  Link
Revgen

Wow you're a genius!

There is indeed 2 video streams in the file. I didn't check for that.

Both streams look good. Here is how they are separated:

Sream 1 - Beginning of video, end of video

Stream 2 - First middle part of video, second middle part of video

I used 4 chunks when encoding so this is how they are separated.

Curly: Burned at the stake!

Moe: Why?

Curly: A hot steak is always better than a cold chop.
Revgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 01:36   #64  |  Link
bond

thats because for some reason mp4box recognized those streams to not use the same settings
its only allowed to merge streams which use the same settings, i think mp4box checks the SPS/PPS for that

maybe you can extract the raw streams from the mp4 and run the h264_parse tool from mpeg4ip over them
this will show you the structure of the headers (SPS/PPS) and if they are identical

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 7th February 2006, 02:14   #65  |  Link
Revgen

I ran h264_parse over both of the the streams. Stream 1 took a while and I was only able to copy the last of what was done. Stream 2 took a very short time amd ended with a message saying "couldn't find start code in buffer from 0"
Attached Files
File Type: txt stream1.txt (8.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: txt stream2.txt (4.8 KB, 95 views)

Old 7th February 2006, 06:34   #66  |  Link
ChrisBensch

No can do, but...

After trying to get ELDER to work for quite some time, I've had no luck:

"perl ELDER4X264_start.pl -a D:\$VIDEO_WORK$\WORKING\test-elder.avs -m 2 -b 4000 -c 4 -o c:\temp\test-elder.mp4 -q "--bframes 3 --b-pyramid --filter -2,-1 --subme 1 --analyse none --me dia --progress --no-psnr""

I did create some batch files from the CLI provided by MeGUI and tried two simultaneous instances of x264 and I got about a 50% increase in speed (~8.5fps with MeGUI with two threads to 13fps with the batch tests). I'm really interested in ELDER because of this increase since most of my encodes are HD sources.

I've tried a whole bunch of times with various settings. I copied the CLI output from MeGUI and nothing seems to work. I've attached a picture of my command window in hopes that maybe someone can see something I'm doing wrong
Attached Images

Last edited by ChrisBensch; 7th February 2006 at 06:51.
ChrisBensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 06:51   #67  |  Link
Revgen

Try this and see if it works. Please don't ask why.

"perl ELDER4X264_start.pl -a D:\$VIDEO~1\WORKIN~1\test-~1.avs -m 2 -b 4000 -c 4 -o c:\temp\test-e~1.mp4 -q "--bframes 3 --b-pyramid --filter -2,-1 --subme 1 --analyse none --me dia --no-psnr"

Old 7th February 2006, 06:54   #68  |  Link
ChrisBensch

Unfortunately, it didn't help, I get stuck at the same point. It appears to be stopping right when the "b" perl script is being called:

ex: perl ELDER4XVID_b.pl 776519

Something else to note, it's not detecting my FPS from the AVS script:

detected fps = format
detected frames = 2001

Last edited by ChrisBensch; 7th February 2006 at 06:57.
Old 7th February 2006, 07:39   #69  |  Link
Revgen

Are there actually 2001 frames in your video, or is that a misread by ELDER?

2001 frames are too short for using 4 chunks. Try increasing it to about 8000 or even 16000 as "708145" suggests.

If it's a misread than use the -f numberofframesinyourclip before the -q "" parameter starts.

EG: your clip is 16000 frames then use:

"perl ELDER4X264_start.pl -a D:\$VIDEO~1\WORKIN~1\test-~1.avs -m 2 f- 16000 -b 4000 -c 4 -o c:\temp\test-e~1.mp4 -q "--bframes 3 --b-pyramid --filter -2,-1 --subme 1 --analyse none --me dia --no-psnr"

Old 7th February 2006, 07:47   #70  |  Link
ChrisBensch

Yes, the 2001 frames is correct, but a mistake on my part. I had shrunk the frame amount for other testing. I'll increase the frame count to 16000 and try again. By the way, my setup is that on one hard drive I had elder then on another I had all of my video tools. I had to move the AVS script into the same dir and make an absolute reference to my .d2v within that script as things are on separate drives. By the way, the output from the earlier posted setup was terribly blocky and you could almost not even tell what the video was.

Another try coming...
Old 7th February 2006, 07:55   #71  |  Link
Revgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBensch
By the way, the output from the earlier posted setup was terribly blocky and you could almost not even tell what the video was.
I had this problem too but I solved it by removing --pass2 --stats and --mixed-refs

Perhaps there are other parameters that cause problems for ELDER. The only parameters that you are using that I didn't use was "--no-psnr" and "--filter". Perhaps these are causing problems.

Old 7th February 2006, 08:01   #72  |  Link
ChrisBensch

Another try in progress, instead of moving and editing the AVS to have an absolute path to the .d2v, it just needed the absolute path (mpeg2source("d:\videowork\test.d2v") not (mpeg2source("test.d2v"). Seems to be working fine so far.

Edit: The job has finished. Using MeGUI on the HQ-Slow preset, I would get about 8.5fps on the first pass and then about 3.5fps on the seconde with my HD sources on my 2.8GHz dual core. With the same source and AVS, I'm getting about 14.3fps (with 2001 frames, redoing with 16K frames) with ELDER for the one pass. I would however, like to use two-pass like MeGUI but am unsure as to exactly how I would do that. I am just copying the cli from MeGUI for testing so that I have at least a somewhat reasonable comparison between the two.
Old 7th February 2006, 08:03   #73  |  Link
ChrisBensch

One thing that would be nice is if you were somehow able to capture the average FPS for the whole process without having to sit and watch the output windows. Maybe write it to a file for info purposes?
Old 7th February 2006, 08:18   #74  |  Link
Revgen

Is your encode the right length?

Old 7th February 2006, 08:20   #75  |  Link
ChrisBensch

Before I go any further, I'm gonna sleep on it. My eyes are crossing as I've been up way to long to be doing this tonight. All I can say is ELDER is very interesting and I'll be back at it tomorrow. Thanks to all.
Old 7th February 2006, 10:23   #76  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revgen
I ran h264_parse over both of the the streams. Stream 1 took a while and I was only able to copy the last of what was done. Stream 2 took a very short time amd ended with a message saying "couldn't find start code in buffer from 0"
i need the sequence and picture parameter at the beginning of h264_parses output

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 7th February 2006, 16:35   #77  |  Link
Revgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond
i need the sequence and picture parameter at the beginning of h264_parses output
Okay I have the beginning sequence for Stream1.

I had to go into safemode command prompt form of windows to do it. My machine is way too fast in normal mode, hence their was no chance to pause the operation and copy anything.
Attached Files
File Type: txt stream1.txt (6.0 KB, 87 views)

Old 7th February 2006, 16:37   #78  |  Link
bond

thx but we would need both for comparing if the streams use the same settings

btw passing the output of h264_parse to a txt is very easy via the following cmdl:
Code:
h264_parse raw.264 > h264_log.txt

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 7th February 2006, 16:53   #79  |  Link
Revgen

The stream2.txt in my previous post (post #65) has the beginning info for second stream.

Only stream1.txt (in the previous post) was cut short.

Old 7th February 2006, 17:11   #80  |  Link
bond

hm they are identical, except the bitrate in the SEI, tough i dont think that mp4box checks the SEI

actually i have no idea what could be wrong on the mp4box side

maybe elder uses not -cat everywhere but -add maybe?

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis