Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 9th June 2003, 05:30   #181  |  Link
Cyberia

As far as I can tell, the only things MPEGDecoder can do that MPEG2DEC3 cannot is open *.mpg files and directly read *.vob files. It reads the vobs by creating a d2v file on the fly (or maybe as a virtual d2v)

Many people would love to have both these abilities in MPEG2DEC3. Here is my concern: Adding them would put a really big question mark on future development of MPEGDecoder, though MPEG2DEC3 would receive more regular maintainence. Plus, it wouldn't divide Nic's time on two very similar projects. Only Nic can make that decision.
Cyberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2003, 05:42   #182  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

I think, and as demonstrated by this thread, the Mpeg2dec model has really hit a performance barrier, so I would not be suprised if Mpegdecoder had development continued (or perhaps even a completely new project), and this was just for legacy stuff...
int 21h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2003, 08:59   #183  |  Link
Nic

It is tempting to put my D2VCreator code in MPEG2Dec3, as well as adding better DeCSS support.

But something says I shouldn't start adding lots of things and leave it as it is. Hmmmm.

What does everyone reckon? Should I leave it as it is or add d2v creation code to it?

As for MPEG-1 support, Id love to add that, and mpeg-2 decoders should be able to decode MPEG-1 (MPEG-2 just being a superset of MPEG-1). But MPEG2Dec3 is very adjusted for dealing with field based MPEGs (amongst other things). And MPEG-1 support would be difficult (being just frame based). Maybe if ill get time ill try to add it, but otherwise ill just improve mpegdecoder.

Cheers,
-Nic
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2003, 09:24   #184  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

Might as well add some caching techniques too (for reading from the drive), then coupled with better DeCSS support and some yet to be implemented IFO parsing, Mpeg2Dec would be the uber-source plugin.
int 21h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2003, 12:00   #185  |  Link
ssjkakaroto

i'm no programmer so forgive me if my question is stupid
is it possible to merge mpeg2dec3 e mpegdecoder but one independent from the other, so to choose which one you want to use you would have a new option, for example:
mpegsource("x:\file.d2v",mode=2)
mpegsource("x:\file.mpg",mode=1)

thx in advance

ps: thx a lot on this new version of mpeg2dec3
ssjkakaroto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2003, 12:32   #186  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

ssjkakaroto:
That's not really an issue, you can do that according to the extension automatically. I just think nic doesn't want the mix the code.
Old 9th June 2003, 14:55   #187  |  Link
Cyberia

I do a lot of transcoding, so having an uber-plugin (MPEG2DEC3) that handles all MPEG-1 *and* MPEG-2 would rock. So, if you feel like adding the vob and mpg stuff, that would rock also! But if not, I understand.
Cyberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2003, 17:55   #188  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Quote:
What does everyone reckon? Should I leave it as it is or add d2v creation code to it?
Consider this a positive vote. I don't see why it should be necessary to fire up a separate program just to read MPEG2/VOB files.
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2003, 21:39   #189  |  Link
Nic

HMmmmm. Ok but It will have to do D2V Creation first. Without it you can get a mismatch in the length and no accurate seeking.

That ok?

-Nic

ps
In the next release ill add that, and also fix it so it reports the correct tff flag to TomsMoComp (when using the -1 param). After that ill be stumped for anymore additions I think.
Old 9th June 2003, 21:54   #190  |  Link
bond

for me the most important thing would be speed increase, it seems that there isnt any speed increase possible anymore in mpeg2dec3
so i would vote for further improvment of mpegdecoder (speed and seeking)

but if you nic say that there isnt any speed increase possible anymore uhh i would say i am perfectly happy

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2003, 05:01   #191  |  Link
JohnMK

Well in most modern systems mpeg2dec3 isn't anywhere close to being the bottleneck. If Nic could find a way to speed up XviD, now that'd be killer.
JohnMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2003, 08:11   #192  |  Link
CruNcher

@ JohnMK

trbarry speeded it up allready with his optimizations for the SimpleIdct you should get a new build SimpleIdct is now the official IDCT for all Cpus in the CVS hope koepi comes back soon to make a new build

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2003, 09:13   #193  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
For that matter, the ability to read MPEG2 files (*.m2v or *.mpg) would be nice. (Unless this is already possible -- I've never messed with DVD2AVI so perhaps my ignorance is showing...)
This is possible with dvd2avi
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2003, 09:33   #194  |  Link
JohnMK

Quote:
Originally posted by CruNcher
@ JohnMK

trbarry speeded it up allready with his optimizations for the SimpleIdct you should get a new build SimpleIdct is now the official IDCT for all Cpus in the CVS hope koepi comes back soon to make a new build
I don't quite understand why XviD needs to do any idct, can you explain?
JohnMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2003, 09:41   #195  |  Link
Nic

You know better than not to search John

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...769#post181769

-Nic
Old 11th June 2003, 12:56   #196  |  Link
symonjfox
IUUULEEEENZ

@ Nic
Hi, I appreciate very much the work you're doing on these filters.
I just wanted to know if is it there a chance to improve the MPEGDecoder.dll to support also MPA audio.
I always use MPAsource.dll and I asked to WarpEnterprises if is it possible, but he said that he has no knowledge of how demux PS streams and so on.
I tested many times MPEGDecoder and I don't think it will be difficult to include the MPAsource code.

You should say "what is the purpose of such work?" Easy, you'll help me and other lazy DVB recorders to edit their files. Just set our favourite program to record in MPG (not PVA) and the file recorded, just processed without demux or other things like this.

It should be nice if an error detection and audio synch routine will be created for this, since DVB recordings are always damaged somewhere; instead of losing time with PVAstrumento.
Old 11th June 2003, 19:57   #197  |  Link
Selur

little question about SimpleiDCT:

Quote:
11.6.2003 14:20:
U xvidcore/src/xvid.c (rev.1.47) Isibaar:
- switched back to Walken idct
U xvidcore/src/xvid.h (rev.1.30) Isibaar:
- switched back to Walken idct
Does anyone know why Isibaar went back to "Walken idct"?
(just curious )

Cu Selur
Selur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2003, 02:54   #198  |  Link
JimBryce

Just wanted to let you know that I tried using "iDCT=6" (Skal's SSEMMX iDCT) on version 1.08 of MPEG2Dec3.dll (this is the first time I've tried it on any version) speed went from .70 ~ .75 to .50 ~ .55! (this was tested over a 24 hour period on 4 different films). After that I just changed "iDCT=6" back to "iDCT=2" and encoded again, all else being the same. Speed back up to .70 ~ .75.

JIC I mis-understood, I read "iDCT=6" as being PIII compatible. Correct?

Other than that, MPEG2Dec3.dll v1.08 is doing fine and seems to be a great part of the Avisynth–eclCCE–CCE–MPEG2Dec3.dll system!

Keep up the good work!

ps. On the "can you include MPEG1" and "what about MPA audio" I don't really have a strong opinion either way but thought I'd mention that the more a program does, usually the worse it does, sorta' similar to the "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" idea.

Jim
"Guam: Where America's Day Begins!"
JimBryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2003, 03:39   #199  |  Link
cuisinart

After trying to get frames the same way as in the Getpic example it looks like mpeg2dec3 1.08 doesn't treat the chroma as interlaced even interlaced frames. The original mpeg2dec looks like it gets it right on all frames. Is this an intentional difference?
Old 12th June 2003, 09:52   #200  |  Link
Nic

@Selur: I know exactly why he went back to the Walken iDCT (i.e. the intel one, optimised by Peter Gubanov and includes Michel's infamous rounding trick....while writing this I realise I know far too much about iDCT.lol). But its long winded, basically its better to use an iDCT that everyone uses for MPEG-4 than one that's more accurate. (iDCT is a real problem for MPEG-4, but ill discuss this one day in the XviD forum)

@JimBryce: Ignore the skal iDCT and use the SimpleiDCT instead Sorry it didn't help you, it was faster on my Celeron 1000. But hasnt been much use to anyone else, ill leave it any there just for completeness though.
(And I go along with the jack of all trades line)

@cuisinart: Thats because im going straight from yv12 to RGB. I could make it so you can set it either to do interlaced chroma upsampling or not. Or go from yv12 to YUY2 (or 4:4:4) and then goto RGB. Ill look into that for you.

@symonjfox: Ill make a version of MPASource soon that takes MPEG as input rather than MPA. Best not to include in another plugin, as things get messy that way.

-Nic