Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 20th December 2004, 18:40   #41  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
Originally posted by jeanl
I'm just puzzled that things got broken like that...
Me too, but I am clueless anyway. But thanks for the tip, cause it worked with adding a post-command to the ep. Still, I didn't think it to be that time-consuming. I guess, I'm gonna make my own simply menus for the next rips

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 18:44   #42  |  Link
jeanl

time-consuming yep, but that's also the way you learn man!
And after all the trouble, when it works, you know you've mastered the beast (and a what a beast that is, don't get me going on the DVD specs!), submitted it to your will!!!

Take care!
Jeanl
Old 29th December 2004, 12:55   #43  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Re: Re: Re: making progress

Quote:
Originally posted by r0lZ
You can use the Copy LU cmds to other LUs to automatize this procedure.
If you don't want to keep the other menu languages, then you should Strip the unwanted LUs with IfoEdit (Menu Extras button, with the Strip Language Unit's (LUs) option checked).
Hi r0lZ,
Just a feature request, since other nice and useful options are present for handling LUs in PgcEdit...

Can you consider an option for killing the playback of a specific LU ?

Cheers,
SD
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 15:44   #44  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Can you consider an option for killing the playback of a specific LU ?
Well, it's not possible to kill playback of an LU. It is however possible to change the language code of the LU so that it will not be called anymore. But I can't see a good reason to do so. If you don't want to see a specific LU, just set the language code of your player to another one.

It is also possible to remove the complete LU, and all the references of the LU to the VOB cells. This solution will allow to strip the unreferenced cells with IfoEdit or VobBlanker.
But stripping the LU directly with IfoEdit is easier, and more efficient: all you have to do is to select the LU you want to keep, and the VOB will be stripped of all cells related to the removed LU.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 17:13   #45  |  Link
Sir Didymus

@r0lZ.

Well, you're definitely right, meaning that with IfoEdit the job is easy and efficient... So, sorry for the request...

By the way, let me spend some more words just to explain the reason for the request...
Well, since there are no VM commands for playing a given language unit, the behaviour of a standard player, for choosing the one of some possible LUs to play, is driven by the the following rules:
1. Compare the preferred language of the player against the different LUs, and play the matching one;
2. In case of no matching, playing the "default" LU, if present;
3. In case the "default" LU not present, play the first LU.

Now, I have a player with very poor characteristics [ok I will trow it away asap... ]... that does not allow to set a language code different than English, German and French...

Since my preferred language is different (Italian...), the funny situation I am experiencing is that all the titles I try to play on this player have a "natural" tendence to play the first LU available in the title, and never the Italian menus, that I normally see on all my other players...

As you have pointed out the IfoEdit way is the proper one, and that's exactely what I normally do...

It is that recently found very handy to use PgcEdit for copying commands between different LUs...

and got a look at this very nice guide of 2COOL:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=72547

So I wondered to myself how should it cost to implement a macro in PgcEdit, performing something similar...

And after asking to myself and asking again, at the end i decided to ask directly to you...

Cheers,

and again... afraid for the request...

I totally agree that's was not a good idea to ask to perform functions already carried out by other EXCELLENT tools...

SD

Last edited by Sir Didymus; 29th December 2004 at 17:16.
Old 29th December 2004, 19:10   #46  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
2. In case of no matching, playing the "default" LU, if present;
Well. I really don't know what you are calling the "default" LU. For me, there are only two rules: if a LU matching the player's preferences is found, it is played. Else, the first one should be played.

PgcEdit has the ability to swap the LUs, so that your preferred LU will be in the first place.

However, if your player has no configuration option, and is stupid enough to think he must always show one specific, hardcoded LU (say english), then the method of stripping the english LU with IfoEdit should work.

Of course, changing the 'en' code of the english menu to, for example 'zu' (Zulu) may also work. But I don't like that: this LU will probably never be played anymore. So, stripping it is again the best solution.

If you really wants to rename the english menu, you may use 2COOL's guide. Note that the guide has the effect of effectly stripping the LU in the IFOs, but not in the VOBs.
Old 29th December 2004, 19:30   #47  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Didymus
So I wondered to myself how should it cost to implement a macro in PgcEdit, performing something similar...
@r0lZ
I was thinking about something similar. Is there an official thread for PgcEdit feature requests already? I'd like to see my guide on Importing selfmade menus to episode DVDs done with DVD Shrink put into a macro so I can do it with the click of a button just like with the DVD Shrink Remote buttons-macro. Is there a way for us users to implement such a thing? I guess, you're quite busy adding other new features with higher priority...

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 19:38   #48  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Exactly! I have to make the BOV support and the menu editor. After that, probably in a couple of months, I will start a special 'feature requests' thread, and implement some of the most useful ones.
Old 30th December 2004, 09:34   #49  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Quote:
Originally posted by r0lZ
Exactly! I have to make the BOV support and the menu editor. After that, probably in a couple of months, I will start a special 'feature requests' thread, and implement some of the most useful ones.
Really sorry: it was my fault to start this OT discussion. BOV support ? menu editor ? This sound nice, very nice!!! Good to hear something about the heavy (and really appreciated) work you are doing with PgcEdit.

Quote:
If you really wants to rename the english menu, you may use 2COOL's guide. Note that the guide has the effect of effectly stripping the LU in the IFOs, but not in the VOBs.
Yeah. This is the reason I called this "Kill LU Playback" and not "Strip LU"... I agree with Chetwood... It's unfair to ask you to implement the most strange and crazy functions... The possibility of executing external code is all what users may need to try to write their own PgcEdit macros... By the way: no pressure on my side. This have clearily a very low priority respect to the other extensions you are working on...

Quote:
Well. I really don't know what you are calling the "default" LU. For me, there are only two rules: if a LU matching the player's preferences is found, it is played. Else, the first one should be played.
About the "third rule...". Sometimes my poor English prevents me being clear... For default I intended "not specified"... Language code "und", as defined by ISO 639, part b:

http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/langcodes.html

IfoEdit reports languages marked with "und" as Not Specified, while PgcEdit presents them with the symbol "(--)".

I didn't test it with PgcEdit, but I think that in order to be DVD compliant, if a LU is not matching the player prefererred language and an Unspecified LU is present, this one should be played even in the case it is not the first one...

Regards,
SD
Old 11th December 2005, 23:16   #50  |  Link
MarioGarcia

rosemary baby

hello
it's maybe time to make this thread living again
i am backing up and old movie: rosemary baby.
all the pgrm are used, and i am wondering how to deal with it, all my reading hasn't led anywhere.
the movie from factory is already going to the main movie, without editing anything; I Just used another guide to override the language selection and screen ratio menus and i want it to go to the main menu.
here's the code:
Code:
********** pre commands:
[20 A4 00 04 00 02 00 05]   1  if ( gprm(4) == 2 ) then { LinkPGCN PGC 5 } 
[20 A4 00 04 00 03 00 06]   2  if ( gprm(4) == 3 ) then { LinkPGCN PGC 6 } 
[20 A4 00 04 00 04 00 11]   3  if ( gprm(4) == 4 ) then { LinkPGCN PGC 17 } 
[00 B2 00 05 00 0A 00 00]   4  if ( gprm(5) != 10 ) then { Break } 
[61 00 00 08 00 82 00 00]   5  Set gprm(8) =(mov) sprm(2:Sub-picture stream number) 
[61 00 00 09 00 81 00 00]   6  Set gprm(9) =(mov) sprm(1:Audio stream number) 
[71 A0 08 08 00 3F 00 49]   7  if ( gprm(8) == 73 ) then { Set gprm(8) =(mov) 63 } 
[41 00 00 00 88 00 00 00]   8  (SetSTN) Set Sub-picture stream = gprm(8) 
[00 B2 00 09 00 01 00 00]   9  if ( gprm(9) != 1 ) then { Break } 
[00 B2 00 08 00 3F 00 00]  10  if ( gprm(8) != 63 ) then { Break } 
[71 00 00 08 00 49 00 00]  11  Set gprm(8) =(mov) 73 
[41 00 00 00 88 00 00 00]  12  (SetSTN) Set Sub-picture stream = gprm(8) 
********** post commands:
[30 06 00 00 00 42 00 00]   1  (JumpSS) Jump to VMGM Title menu 
********** cell commands:
thank you
mario garcia
Old 11th December 2005, 23:32   #51  |  Link
jeanl

MarioGarcia,
Here's the deal, if I remember correctly (it's been a while!!!)
- IF the DVD navigation NEVER returns to the first-play PGC, then you can use ANY gprm you care to, used or unused, it does not matter.
- If the DVD navigation does return to first-play, then essentially, I believe there's no safe way to do what you want to do. Still, you might find a gprm that's set but not used (never read) or something like that...

To find out whether navigation returns to first play, you'd use the Calls cross-reference in the info menu in pgcedit... or the "got to calling commands"...

jeanl
Old 12th December 2005, 00:02   #52  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Which method are you using? 2COOL's Jump2PGC, Jeanl's guide, or the PgcEdit function? In the later case, which version of PgcEdit do you use?
Thanks to 2COOL, the latest version of the Jump to PGC function in PgcEdit works even when there are no free GPRMs.
Old 12th December 2005, 12:01   #53  |  Link
MarioGarcia

i am using the jeanl guide; the version of the pgc edit it's the latest available 0.6.2

the movie starts automatically, it never goes through the main menu, after the movie is done it goes directly to the features menu.
Old 12th December 2005, 13:07   #54  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Could you send me your IFOs? (Original and modified, please.)
pgcedit (at) tiscali (dot) be
Old 12th December 2005, 19:34   #55  |  Link
MarioGarcia

hello
I think i have solved the problem, i used the 2cool's jump2pgc guide with the small exe and it goes to where I wanted to go, thank you for mentionned that guide to me..
i would have never known it otherwise

kind regards
Mario