Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th August 2011, 22:23   #1  |  Link
vmrsss

avisynth on wine, mdegrain and hqdn3d

Hi there.

I am not an expert user of AviSynth and its filters, sorry about that. I have two questions please.

I occasionally bump into a source so grainy to suggest the use of MDeGrain (from MTools). The results are typically fine, but the processing is prohibitively sloooow.... Questions:

(1) Is MDeGrain single threaded? It just doesn't seem to use but the smallest fraction of my processors. (As a result, my encoding speed is about 1fps, with CPU utilisation about 10%, which is not pretty to see.) How is it? I run AviSynth via wine (I am not on Windows), is that the issue? Or is it the same for all users of MDeGrain?

(2) How does MDeGrain compare to HQDN3D? It's just a matter of quality difference in accomplishing the same task (and then I'd say MDeGrain is better indeed), or is there an intrinsic difference in the applications these filters are respectively intended for?

Thanks.
vmrsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 01:25   #2  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

avisynth (without modification and less-than-elegant in-script tricks) is not multi-processor capable.

some plugins are though, meaning with a fast script and a multithreaded input plugin you can get good CPU utilisation and fast speeds. complex degraining is hard to parallelize without rewriting of very complex plugins and possibly incorporating a lot of mask manipulation into their own plugins, etc.

you can use the opportunity to choose encode settings that are 1fps and use 90% of your CPU... your computer might as well do something while it's doing nothing