Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st March 2019, 17:06   #55061  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
A rough mock up found in the wild of madVR ENVY

https://imgur.com/a/AZy01pS

No HTPC required !
Haha!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 17:10   #55062  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
4 GB Vram is enough for UHD output. BTW. we are only able to see how much Vram is reserved not how much is used.

don't buy an nearly 3 year old architecture if it isn't massively cheaper.

@422415
can you make a screen of the OSD?
I will take a picture later today when I'm home.
422415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 17:44   #55063  |  Link
brazen1

I can see it now...

Premarket headline Reuters - madVR 'Envy' initiates IPO (Initial Public Offering) today on Nasdaq led by founder and CEO - madshi. Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk were not available for comment.

Salesman - "Would you like an extended warranty for your new display? How bout' an Envy? They're on aisle 8 next to the remote controls if we still have any left in stock".
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 18:40   #55064  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
One question concerning RAM usage, as I'm contemplating the upgrade to either a GTX 1070 or a RTX 2060. Is the extra RAM important or are 6GB enough for 4K upscaling (from SD and HD sources)?
Used 1060 is still the go to for madvr,

ALTHOUGH, you gotta watch out for the crappy models which fill the lower ebay prices.

1070 and 2060 would give you NGU (very high), buh imho, the price difference isn't worth it. because 1060 can already do ngu luma very high for HD to UHD upscaling.

the 1070 would allow for NGU Chroma (H/VH) ontop of NGU Luma, but imho, paying higher price for chroma is meh, because the visual difference is very minute.

vRam is a non issue, 4gb is enough.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 1st March 2019 at 18:43.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 18:46   #55065  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
I can see it now...

Premarket headline Reuters - madVR 'Envy' initiates IPO (Initial Public Offering) today on Nasdaq led by founder and CEO - madshi. Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk were not available for comment.

Salesman - "Would you like an extended warranty for your new display? How bout' an Envy? They're on aisle 8 next to the remote controls if we still have any left in stock".
I'd imagine the company will mainly stay private UNTIL it has a very large product portfolio which necessitate branch out.
Old 1st March 2019, 20:57   #55066  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
4 GB Vram is enough for UHD output. BTW. we are only able to see how much Vram is reserved not how much is used.

don't buy an nearly 3 year old architecture if it isn't massively cheaper.

@422415
can you make a screen of the OSD?
I have attached the madVR OSD and my projector info when playing hdr files
Attached Images

422415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 22:14   #55067  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post

As I said, I recommend to use RGB Full 8bits with the new JVCs at the moment. This has no visible detrimental effect as long as you force 8bits in madVR as well. If you let bit depth set to "auto" or "10bits or more" in madVR, you will get a lot of banding. The nVidia CP should be set to RGB full 8bits, and you can either set the JVC and madVR to 0-255 if you care about having the correct levels in the desktop, or set the levels to 16-235 in the JVC and in madVR if you mostly care about video content. My HTPC is for movie playback only so I prefer to set both to 16-235 to avoid unnecessary conversions, as the content is in video levels and madVR's 3D LUT works in video levels as well. That way it remains in video levels all along. Using auto for levels in the JVC is fine most of the time, but then you're never sure if something isn't as it should. I use auto for colorspace but I set levels to 16-235 manually to see when something is not done as expected.

JVC has been informed of the forced YCC422 issue at 23/24/25/30p in RGB 12bits and hopefully they will correct it in a f/w update (see https://discuss.avscience.com/index....11347#msg11347).
Manni I want to thank you so much for informing us that this is the case. As I said I knew something was very odd weeks ago when I couldn’t use RGB on my NX9, but I just didn’t know why… I have changed everything in the chain to 8bits and 16/235 (since I only use that PC for video), the image is much cleaner, banding improved so Im happy to have this finally sorted!

Since you were the one to sort this, don’t you think it would be good to inform others on the AVSF NX thread in case they too are using madvr, I think it would be good?

Also when we get a fix from JVC and can return back to 12bit, can you explain what maybe better when playing BDs and UHD films on our madvr setups using 12bit over the 8bit we are doing in the meantime?

Again many thanks for the great detective work.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 23:02   #55068  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
I have changed everything in the chain to 8bits and 16/235 (since I only use that PC for video), the image is much cleaner, banding improved so Im happy to have this finally sorted!
Glad you got it sorted.

Quote:
Since you were the one to sort this, donÂ’t you think it would be good to inform others on the AVSF NX thread in case they too are using madvr, I think it would be good?
I think most of those using madVR should follow here (if they don't it's their loss ), so I wouldn't post something that specific there, it's a bit off topic and technical. I'll mention it in the recommended settings in the JVC calibration thread for the 2019 models though, as there is a short section for madVR users already. I'll announce a sub-thread on calibrating the JVCs for madVR after a new build is out, as I'll also suggest recommended settings for SDR and HDR playback on the JVCs.

Quote:
Also when we get a fix from JVC and can return back to 12bit, can you explain what maybe better when playing BDs and UHD films on our madvr setups using 12bit over the 8bit we are doing in the meantime?
I wouldn't expect much improvement regarding banding as madVR's dithering is truly excellent (provided the bit depth is set properly in madVR and of course dithering is enabled and set to ordered or error diffusion). There might be a minimal improvement in noise near black, but nothing I could see without pixel peeping, at least not in the few clips I checked. 10bits is important in the content, but for reproduction 8bits seems to be absolutely fine.

Quote:
Again many thanks for the great detective work.
You're welcome
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 2nd March 2019 at 00:54.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2019, 00:46   #55069  |  Link
SamuriHL

As a 1060 6gb owner, I can tell you that if you have any intention of using madvr's tone mapping at all, there WILL be compromises. I honestly wish I had a much faster card but at the time the stupid crypto mining idiots were buying up all our cards. LOL I don't know what current prices look like but if you're looking at tone mapping I'd bump that up to a 1070 to get some breathing room. The 1060 CAN do it...it just requires some...convincing here and there.
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:03   #55070  |  Link
el Filou

Are you talking about the fancy live dynamic tonemapping that's in the latest test builds? My 1050 Ti can tone map using the pre-measure method but only for 24p content. I was assuming that a 1060 would do live dynamic tonemapping easily, this is disappointing.
I hope that in the 7/8nm next generation there will be a card with 1060/1660 processing power for 75W TDP.
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:28   #55071  |  Link
SamuriHL

Like I said, it can do it, but, I have to make compromises in some areas. Which is fine. It's just that if you want a more complete experience where you can crank things up, you'll want a faster card.
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:15   #55072  |  Link
Alexkral

You're talking about MadVR's dynamic tonemapping alone without additional tools, right? I have not tested it yet but I also expected it to be faster.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2019, 03:12   #55073  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
As a 1060 6gb owner, I can tell you that if you have any intention of using madvr's tone mapping at all, there WILL be compromises. I honestly wish I had a much faster card but at the time the stupid crypto mining idiots were buying up all our cards. LOL I don't know what current prices look like but if you're looking at tone mapping I'd bump that up to a 1070 to get some breathing room. The 1060 CAN do it...it just requires some...convincing here and there.
What compromises ?
Old 2nd March 2019, 03:26   #55074  |  Link
ryrynz

Well it's always going to be quality that's sacrificed.. But no point in commenting really until the final build is out.
Hopefully this month?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2019, 04:51   #55075  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 422415 View Post
I have attached the madVR OSD and my projector info when playing hdr files
can you upload them somewhere else? attachment on this forum my take sometime.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2019, 05:11   #55076  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
You're talking about MadVR's dynamic tonemapping alone without additional tools, right? I have not tested it yet but I also expected it to be faster.
Yea, the dynamic tone mapping that's being tested right now is pretty hefty on resources. That may change once they get it dialed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
What compromises ?
Things like changing the chroma scaler from NGU to something that uses less resources like bicubic, changing dithering to ordered, etc. I try to avoid the trade performance options as much as possible but this is all just personal taste. What I mean is you're not cranking chroma scaling to NGU high and other options while tone mapping on a 1060. It's just not capable. But if you compromise some settings, tone mapping works just fine.
Old 2nd March 2019, 05:12   #55077  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Well it's always going to be quality that's sacrificed.. But no point in commenting really until the final build is out.
Hopefully this month?
I wouldn't bet on this month. It would be nice but they're neck deep in the dynamic tone mapping stuff right now. madshi has been cranking out test builds like they're going out of style. LOL I've not been able to keep up with all of them lately, but, his main testers have and they've been working overtime. I thought he was going to release what he had in late December but he has continued to refine the HDR code. And the result has been WAY worth it.
Old 2nd March 2019, 15:11   #55078  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
I was talking to someone at AVSForums who was getting 33ms rendering times with the latest test builds with a GTX 1060 with moderate settings:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...l#post57600310

You must be using very different settings.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2019, 15:21   #55079  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Yea, the dynamic tone mapping that's being tested right now is pretty hefty on resources. That may change once they get it dialed in.

Things like changing the chroma scaler from NGU to something that uses less resources like bicubic, changing dithering to ordered, etc. I try to avoid the trade performance options as much as possible but this is all just personal taste. What I mean is you're not cranking chroma scaling to NGU high and other options while tone mapping on a 1060. It's just not capable. But if you compromise some settings, tone mapping works just fine.
There might be a kink in your setup. I bought the same gpu as u

Madvr 92.17
Nvidia 417.71
Evga 1060 FTW+, 6GB , 2.1ghz core, 9ghz vram
G3258 CPU, 4.7ghz

Running on a 4K TV, These are tested on 1080p and 4K-hdr Remuxes, 40mbit (1080p), and 80mbit+ (4K)

For 4K HDR 24fps files 1:1 mapping

NGU Sharp- Med chroma
+ Dynamic tone map
+ Highlight Recovery

For 1080p 24fps 8bit , 2.35:1, w/black bar crop,

Ngu Sharp- High chroma
Ngu Sharp- Very High Luma
Ngu Sharp (Med) 2nd chroma.

For 1080p 24fps 8bit, 16:9, _________ Alternatively

Ngu Sharp- High chroma __________ Ngu Sharp- Med chroma
Ngu Sharp- Very High Luma _______ Ngu Sharp- Very High Luma
Bicubic60 AR 2nd chroma _________ Ngu Sharp- Low 2nd chroma

No quality reduction settings enabled, dithering on error diffusion

Last edited by tp4tissue; 2nd March 2019 at 23:21.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2019, 15:40   #55080  |  Link
Warner306

Did you try the any of the latest test builds at AVS Forums? The performance is slower than the current official build.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling