Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 9th March 2006, 21:36   #361  |  Link
bourtzovlakas
dvd.stuff.gr moderator

Open the subtitle text window....
Output format-->Set output format...
...choose SubRip and tick Extended Format(with pictures co ordinates)...
bourtzovlakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 22:01   #362  |  Link
GDion

I had many pms from people having problems with DivXMux and its conversion method of vobsubs (idx/sub) to xsub. The problem is that DivXMux accepts the 640x480 resolution for subtitles, making them appear off-center at current DivX players. The method we found is to use Subrip to convert vobsubs to Philips SVCD Designer format and then use bmp2xsub to convert them to XSub (and thus keeping to XSubs the original resolution of vobsubs, 720x480 or 720x576).

It would be very useful if Subrip will be able to convert VobSubs to XSubs - I think it's an easy implamentation to do.
GDion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2006, 03:59   #363  |  Link
johner23

And for those who wanna find some information about XSubs, follows above the related links:

--> http://projects.gdion.biz/guides/dmfwithxsub.html

--> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=89718

Thanks.
johner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 16:32   #364  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@GDion: Unfortunately, I don't have much time for new features. If anyone with some Delphi knowledge would like to help, either Zuggy and I could take care of integrating any changes/publishing them.

Big news: I finally got around to debugging the subtitle remover VirtualDub filter (an extension of DeLogo by Karel Suhadja). It's a bit slow, but does its job nicely. SubRip would need some changes in the hardsubbed video section to make it easier to save bitmaps for subtitle removal. I could also look into the SubPis filter as a way of making idx/sub files, and then saving them as bitmaps for my filter. In the meantime, since the homepage is so slow these days, I'd like to know if there is enough interest for the filter before posting it and/or a guide for its usage. Did anyone actually bother saving bitmaps when they ripped the subs from a movie?
In the meantime, you can use the MSU subtitle remover filter from http://www.compression.ru/video/subt.../index_en.html
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 02:33   #365  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4spam
Big news: I finally got around to debugging the subtitle remover VirtualDub filter (an extension of DeLogo by Karel Suhadja). It's a bit slow, but does its job nicely.
BTW, are there any AVS filters for subs or logo removal? Converting to RGB32 on filtering is not very good idea IMO
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 06:24   #366  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

I have no idea, but... wasn't there some way you could use VDub filters in AVS?
Old 19th March 2006, 21:59   #367  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
I have no idea, but... wasn't there some way you could use VDub filters in AVS?
Of course. But that still requires conversion to RGB32 and then back. Very inconvinent and waste of CPU, imo
Old 20th March 2006, 00:55   #368  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Unfortunately, I think that's how VDub filters were designed, to work on RGB32 frames.
Old 21st March 2006, 01:53   #369  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think that's how VDub filters were designed, to work on RGB32 frames.
legacy filters yes. But iirc the dev does new filters model for 1.7.0 or so, removing some constraints.

Any chance from you making your filter's AVS build as well? In, YV12, of course
Old 21st March 2006, 09:22   #370  |  Link
promitheas

saving bitmaps

<<Did anyone actually bother saving bitmaps when they ripped the subs from a movie?>>
Yes, i had worked in the past that way, ripping an old movie "The prince and the pauper" for getting greek subtitles.
The way i did it, which was a little bit time consuming, was :
1. Saving bitmaps with AVISubDetector
2. Ocr them with ABBYY Fine Reader.
It worked, but it was really hard.

It would be nice to have the chance of saving just one nice and clear bitmap for every subtitle line, having the time code the same time and then ocr it. The author of AVISubDetector
has done a good job on that but unfortunately his OCR settings ar very confusing for the average user.
Old 22nd March 2006, 03:18   #371  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Well, I was asking if anyone used SubRip to save the bitmaps. The format is pretty simple: a text file with <image#>,<frame begin>,<frame end>,<x>,<y>; and a whole bunch of .pgm black and white bitmaps. That's what my subtitle removal filter will work with. Basically, it does the first pass in SubRip, and the second pass in VirtualDub. So... anyone?
As for your process... you can probably open your bitmap sequence in SubRip and OCR it there, if what AVISubDetector saves is compatible. I never tried this method myself, and was similarly baffled by the interface of ASD. And, in the future, try SubRip's hardsubbed movies detection, it may work for you.

Last edited by ai4spam; 22nd March 2006 at 03:21.
Old 24th March 2006, 15:56   #372  |  Link
slk001

I have three issues with SubRip. The first is with the skipping of subs that are too short. If I set the SKIP SUBTITLES SHORTER THAN (ms) option to zero, Subrip still skips subtitles. Is there a way to get a list of the subtitles skipped and the timing offset where they occur so that I can inspect and correct the timing?

The second is with the character correction not picking up certain "I" versus "l" on the subtitle font. This almost always occurs on broken sentences, such as "I... I don't know." Ths sentence is corrected to "L... I don't know." This occurs so often that I usually just do a global search for "L..." and replace with "I..."

The third issue is with the character matrix for italic fonts. The character "box" is rectangular, while the font is "slanted", so the character box sometimes has parts of the previous character in the upper left corner. For example, the character combo "fo" would have part of the "f" in the "o" character box. Also, the italic "%" would have a "o/" part and a "o" part. I end up giving them both a "%" mapping, then search for the double and replace them with a single. Is it possible to get a character "box" to slant?

A feature that I would like to see is the removal of the part of the captions for the hearing impaired, such as "[ Laughing ]", or "[ Knocking on door ]" or "[Phone rings]". That would be of great help to be able to remove the brackets and all text between them. I believe that this would have to done with a search and dialog ("Remove this comment?"), since the subtitling program I use - SubStation Alpha - uses the brackets for section headers.

But still, Subrip is an excellent program that I find great utility with and that is very easy and intuitive to use. As for your questions about BITMAP capture, I use Subrip to capture subs in menu structures.
slk001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 20:35   #373  |  Link
prubin

If you're finding that you're replacing certain phrases repeatedly, try editing the 'English_Screwed.dic' file in the 'Dict' directory.

You might wish to try using 'Subtitle Workshop' from http://www.urusoft.net/
This tool will allow you to remove all the hearing impaired subs quickly.

Hope that's helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slk001
The second is with the character correction not picking up certain "I" versus "l" on the subtitle font. This almost always occurs on broken sentences, such as "I... I don't know." Ths sentence is corrected to "L... I don't know." This occurs so often that I usually just do a global search for "L..." and replace with "I..."

A feature that I would like to see is the removal of the part of the captions for the hearing impaired, such as "[ Laughing ]", or "[ Knocking on door ]" or "[Phone rings]". That would be of great help to be able to remove the brackets and all text between them. I believe that this would have to done with a search and dialog ("Remove this comment?"), since the subtitling program I use - SubStation Alpha - uses the brackets for section headers.
prubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 02:59   #374  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

For the "o/" and "o" vs. "%" issue, use the Extend Right button (the one with ">" on it), or press Ctrl-Right arrow. That allows you to select multiple regions inside a single recognized character.
And... use the char matrix from the SubRip homepage ( http://foxyshadis.slightlydark.com/r...CharMatrix.rar , mirror kindly provided by FoxyShadis).

Last edited by ai4spam; 26th March 2006 at 03:01.
Old 27th March 2006, 19:08   #375  |  Link
slk001

Quote:
For the "o/" and "o" vs. "%" issue, use the Extend Right button (the one with ">" on it), or press Ctrl-Right arrow. That allows you to select multiple regions inside a single recognized character.
Been using the program for years... never knew about this ability. This could help quite a bit!
Old 27th March 2006, 19:23   #376  |  Link
LeMoi

Quote:
Been using the program for years... never knew about this ability. This could help quite a bit!
It's been introduced after v1.17
LeMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 19:43   #377  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
wondering how you were ripping subs then w/o that handy option. It saves lots of trouble when e.g. two letters are too close to each other so subrip thinks it's one symbol.
Old 28th March 2006, 16:48   #378  |  Link
slk001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egh
wondering how you were ripping subs then w/o that handy option. It saves lots of trouble when e.g. two letters are too close to each other so subrip thinks it's one symbol.
A lot of manual editing. However, some subtitle streams are inherently better than others (I guess that it's the font that the DVD designer used). I know that once I've re-created the subs (same text and punctuation as the original), Subrip has NO problems OCR'ing them. My current project has more than its share of character "run-togethers".
Old 29th March 2006, 23:38   #379  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
A lot of manual editing. However, some subtitle streams are inherently better than others (I guess that it's the font that the DVD designer used). I know that once I've re-created the subs (same text and punctuation as the original), Subrip has NO problems OCR'ing them. My current project has more than its share of character "run-togethers".
naturally. For instance, itallic font quite often results in double-chars detected. I found that probably easiest way to deal with double-chars is to input 2 chars for detected group of symbols in the matrix and that's it. Like "rn" and other stuff.
Old 29th March 2006, 23:38   #380  |  Link
FarCry

Quote:
@GDion: Unfortunately, I don't have much time for new features. If anyone with some Delphi knowledge would like to help, either Zuggy and I could take care of integrating any changes/publishing them.

Big news: I finally got around to debugging the subtitle remover VirtualDub filter (an extension of DeLogo by Karel Suhadja). It's a bit slow, but does its job nicely. SubRip would need some changes in the hardsubbed video section to make it easier to save bitmaps for subtitle removal. I could also look into the SubPis filter as a way of making idx/sub files, and then saving them as bitmaps for my filter. In the meantime, since the homepage is so slow these days, I'd like to know if there is enough interest for the filter before posting it and/or a guide for its usage. Did anyone actually bother saving bitmaps when they ripped the subs from a movie?
In the meantime, you can use the MSU subtitle remover filter from http://www.compression.ru/video/subt.../index_en.html
so this will be possible in the future? because like you said this filter requires to uncompress the video and compress it again. is there any other way to do it? apart from this filter. thanks
FarCry is offline   Reply With Quote