Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th September 2017, 16:51   #45361  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I don't think there is VP9 DXVA decoding on Windows 8.
The OS really doesn't matter to DXVA. The same codecs are supported from 7 to 10. D3D11VA is not available on 7, but thats not the one we were talking about anyway.
Old 4th September 2017, 17:18   #45362  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
12-bit is not supported through DXVA, no matter what the hardware claims to support.
I was succeeded in decoding my main12 HDR (HDR10 source reencoded using main12 profile) movie to madVR without dropping frames using DXVA with my EVGA Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB and the latest LAV filters integrated in Kodi Kripton 64 bit version. 32 bit decoding was failed, there was continuous frame drops with 100% CPU utilization.

Last edited by mparade; 4th September 2017 at 17:26.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 17:37   #45363  |  Link
azzuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzuro View Post
i come for an feedback about a crash on madHcCtrl.exe on last madvr release.

this issue appear on 2 computer, with different hardware but with last Win10 public version.

the crash appear when edit and apply the setting in the displaymode-refreshrate section.

using madvr 0.92.2
Attaching things to this forum doesn't work, they never get approved. For a madHcCtrl.exe crash I need the full crash report. Please upload it somewhere else and link to it here, thanks.
what full crash do you need ?
i have only the popup from windows, who say than madHcCtrl.exe stopped to work.

azzuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 17:40   #45364  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The OS really doesn't matter to DXVA. The same codecs are supported from 7 to 10. D3D11VA is not available on 7, but thats not the one we were talking about anyway.
So the changes with Redstone 1 update were only concerning Edge? I somehow recall this differently.

Could someone with Windows 7 + sufficient GPU please test if VP9 hardware decoding does work there?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 18:13   #45365  |  Link
VHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro View Post
Madshi, thanks for your reply.

I've deleted every custom resolution in the nvidia panel and also created the custom 1080p23hz in the madvr options.

Btw, Ive created a bunch of custom resolutions with the Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) a long time ago, maybe that app is the cause of my problems? (btw, none of the custom resolutions are active in the CRU right now).
Go to the "change resolution" tab from nvidia drivers and use NVIDIA color setting instead of your displays default settings. That should do the trick.
VHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 18:26   #45366  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
Please download the freeze report from Freeze Report
Ok, thanks, this will probably be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
I've deleted every custom resolution in the nvidia panel and also created the custom 1080p23hz in the madvr options.
And did it help?

Quote:
Btw, Ive created a bunch of custom resolutions with the Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) a long time ago, maybe that app is the cause of my problems? (btw, none of the custom resolutions are active in the CRU right now).
I thought CRU would do EDID overrides? EDID overrides should be totally different things and probably not affect custom modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
It was in that post just not formatted very well....cause you know, why would I make it easier for people to help me. LOL Sorry about that.

decoder queue 16
upload queue 8
render queue 8
present queue 1
This information is not complete. The queue information consists of 2 numbers each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
I was succeeded in decoding my main12 HDR (HDR10 source reencoded using main12 profile) movie to madVR without dropping frames using DXVA with my EVGA Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB and the latest LAV filters integrated in Kodi Kripton 64 bit version. 32 bit decoding was failed, there was continuous frame drops with 100% CPU utilization.
How's CPU utilization in 64bit?

Quote:
what full crash do you need ?
i have only the popup from windows, who say than madHcCtrl.exe stopped to work.
Does this one fix it?

http://madshi.net/madHcCtrl922.zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
Sorry to disturbing again. Just noticed.

So EVR custom preset in MPC-HC crop is ignored, but in MPC-BE is propertly displayed. But MadVR in MPC-BE has same issue as in Potplayer. See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...56#post1816256
Ok, the next madVR build behave somewhat differently now in this situation. However, only for software (or copyback) decoding, and only with specific FOURCCs (e.g. NV12). Furthermore, at least MPC-BE's pin information is IMHO incorrect. It does provide cropping information, but it didn't update the aspect ratio information, which means that the cropped video area will be stretched by madVR to cover the original aspect ratio. MPC-BE must update the "VIDEOINFOHEADER2.dwPictAspectRatioX/Y" information in the pin connection info to reflect the aspect ratio of the *cropped* video.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 18:32   #45367  |  Link
azzuro

Quote:
Does this one fix it?

http://madshi.net/madHcCtrl922.zip
no, same popup.
Old 4th September 2017, 18:34   #45368  |  Link
Dorohedoro

No Madshi It did not. I did that on my first try yesterday because I saw the similar issues other user had on this thread.

VHT I will try that as soon I get home.

Thank you so much to both of you.
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 18:39   #45369  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
no, same popup.
Argh, too bad. Can you try to point tool at madHcCtrl.exe while the error box is still open?

http://madshi.net/madTraceProcess32.zip

Maybe I can get a proper bug report this way. Please upload the bug report elsewhere (don't attach to this forum) and link to it here. Thanks.

Quote:
No Madshi It did not. I did that on my first try yesterday because I saw the similar issues other user had on this thread.
Ok, in your registry in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR", is there a subfolder called "DisplayModeMeasurements"? If so, does one of the subfolders is named like the custom mode that you want to measure? Does it have a "LatestMode" value?
Old 4th September 2017, 19:30   #45370  |  Link
azzuro

this is the trace report
Quote:
https : //forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1817445&posted=1#post1817445

thread $0:
>> stack not accessible, exception location:
00000000 +ffbde2c0 madTraceProcess32.exe madStackTrace +0 StackAddrToStr

main thread ($1e50): <priority:15>
>> internal error in GetThreadStack:
004586e7 +29f madTraceProcess32.exe madExcept +0 GetThreadStack

thread $2dec:

thread $122c:

thread $31c4:

thread $3240:

thread $2cb8:

disassembling:
>> will be calculated soon
Old 4th September 2017, 19:39   #45371  |  Link
mparade

@madshi

Quote:
How's CPU utilization in 64bit?
between 34% and 60% during play of the entire video on my

Windows 10 64 bit OS
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
i3-6100@3.7GHz

system. Kodi reports "HVC1 (FFMpeg) (HW)" as the decoder...I thought it is executed via DXVA because I have set it in LAV Video settings...but I realized afterwards that any settings (even Nvidia CUVID) are used in LAV Video for decoding "HVC1 (FFMpeg) (HW)" is reported by Kodi as the decoder. But at least not my weak CPU is used to it's maximum for decoding in case of main12 source.

Last edited by mparade; 4th September 2017 at 21:08.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 20:01   #45372  |  Link
Bernix

@Madshi
Yes, you are right. I thought it croped from top same as from bottom, but I did some primitive test, and it croped video propertly in MHC-BE. I made picture (videos) There are black bars on top and bottom with height of 80px each other bars are see clearly. Sorry, i am not very clever so the picture is wrong as it could only be. But it is only demonstration. So I think no problem.
Each bar is cca 80 pixel height. There are 9 bars. resolution is 1280x720. The videos are long enought. There is source picture too. Sorry, for such primitive test, I hope it helps to see croping in EVR custom preset is properly in MPC-BE even pin info say something different.
Here is series of videos with selfexplaining croping sizes.
http://leteckaposta.cz/941169353
Thank you very much for your interest.
Bernix
Bernix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 20:16   #45373  |  Link
tony359

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony359
I am experiencing a weird issue with the Test Patter Generator (TPG). I ran a calibration using DisplayCAL yesterday and all was good. It didn't look right so I tried running a verification but when I put the TPG to full screen there is no output - black screen with a mouse cursor. It worked fine in full screen the first time I calibrated.
I tried several times and indeed the TPG just refuses to show any content when in full screen. All seems ok when running in a window. MadVR works fine in Exclusive mode when using MPC-HC.
This is a freshly install system, Ryzen based, GTX 1050Ti with latest drivers.

Something I am not sure I am doing right: when selecting "fullscreen" the TPG window does not really go full screen so I usually force it by pressing ALT-ENTER. Am I doing that right, have I "broken" something by doing that?

I cannot run this in a window as this is a projector and the reflected light from the status bars etc would spoil the low level readings.
Originally Posted by madshi
Pressing the "fullscreen" button doesn't show immediate effect, but it will switch madTPG into fullscreen mode automatically when measurements are starting. Anyway, using ALT-ENTER is fine, of course.

Does the mouse cursor show in fullscreen mode? Is it possible your display doesn't even sync to the GPU, for some reason?
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Yes, I can see the cursor and I hear DisplayCAL working in the background (taking black readings!). The moment I switch back to the window I can immediately see the pattern I was supposed to see fullscreen.
Thanks for confirming ALT-ENTER is ok. It's just that when I select FULL-SCREEN it does not seem to work and it starts taking readings not full-screen.

I'll try again tonight, is there anything I can do for you or logs to send you to help identifying the problem?

Cheers
Tony
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 20:46   #45374  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ok, in your registry in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR", is there a subfolder called "DisplayModeMeasurements"? If so, does one of the subfolders is named like the custom mode that you want to measure? Does it have a "LatestMode" value?
Yeah there is that folder and also there are measurements for the custom 1080p23hz mode with the "LatestMode" value (REG_BINARY and a bunch of numbers in "data").

I did what VHT and Asmodian told me to do with no luck (the color option change on the nvidia settings and the resolution swiching on madvr).

Thank you so much to all of you for the help.
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 21:10   #45375  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
this is the trace report
Hmmm... Unfortunately it's not really helpful. Can you repeat the procedure multiple times? Maybe with a bit of luck you'll get one report without those "stack not accessible" and "internal error" problems? Otherwise it won't help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
between 34% and 60% during play of the entire video on my
That's still quite a lot, though. Are you using "native DXVA" or "DXVA copyback"? Do you have the "zoom control" options activated in madVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
Yes, I can see the cursor and I hear DisplayCAL working in the background (taking black readings!). The moment I switch back to the window I can immediately see the pattern I was supposed to see fullscreen.
Thanks for confirming ALT-ENTER is ok. It's just that when I select FULL-SCREEN it does not seem to work and it starts taking readings not full-screen.

I'll try again tonight, is there anything I can do for you or logs to send you to help identifying the problem?
Do you have the same problems when playing a video with madVR? Also a black screen in fullscreen?

Quote:
Yeah there is that folder and also there are measurements for the custom 1080p23hz mode with the "LatestMode" value (REG_BINARY and a bunch of numbers in "data").
1) Are you sure there's only one madVR installation on your PC? E.g. if you use J.River MC, that one comes with its own madVR installation etc.

2) Are you sure that your media player runs under the same user account as madHcCtrl.exe? Of course HKEY_CURRENT_USER only works if it's the same user for both processes.

3) Are you sure that 1080p23 is the actual active mode while you play a video? And you let the video play for at least 11 minutes without touching it in any way?

4) Does the OSD (Ctrl+J) report a frame repeat/drop estimation during those 11 minutes?

Quote:
Yes, you are right. I thought it croped from top same as from bottom, but I did some primitive test, and it croped video propertly in MHC-BE.
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm right with what exactly?
Old 4th September 2017, 21:13   #45376  |  Link
tony359

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi

Do you have the same problems when playing a video with madVR? Also a black screen in fullscreen?
no, fullscreen - exclusive or windowed - works fine when playing back from MPC-HC and MadVR
Old 4th September 2017, 21:14   #45377  |  Link
Bernix

I meant you are correct about wrong pin info in MPH-BE Furthermore, at least MPC-BE's pin information is IMHO incorrect.

Bernix
Old 4th September 2017, 21:19   #45378  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
no, fullscreen - exclusive or windowed - works fine when playing back from MPC-HC and MadVR
What happens if you play with the "image area" slider and the "disable OSD" button. If you modify the image area so you don't get a full black screen, and then enable the OSD, so you see the progress bar at the bottom, does all this go away if you go fullscreen with ALT-ENTER (before starting the measurements!)?

One thing you could is change the madVR settings. E.g. enable/disable fullscreen exclusive mode. Enable/disable "use D3D11 for presentation". Enable/disable overlay mode etc.

Quote:
I meant you are correct about wrong pin info in MPH-BE. Furthermore, at least MPC-BE's pin information is IMHO incorrect.
Ok, so let's wait for the next madVR build, then you test with that and complain to the MPC-BE devs. Then let's go from there, ok?
Old 4th September 2017, 21:23   #45379  |  Link
Bernix

O.K.
Thank you
Bernix
Old 4th September 2017, 22:02   #45380  |  Link
tony359

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What happens if you play with the "image area" slider and the "disable OSD" button. If you modify the image area so you don't get a full black screen, and then enable the OSD, so you see the progress bar at the bottom, does all this go away if you go fullscreen with ALT-ENTER (before starting the measurements!)?

One thing you could is change the madVR settings. E.g. enable/disable fullscreen exclusive mode. Enable/disable "use D3D11 for presentation". Enable/disable overlay mode etc.
No OSD at all, just black screen - and the cursor. No different colour frame when "image area" is not maxed out. But I can see that as expected when windowed.

I believe I have found a "workaround": leave the TPG to NON full screen and switch to full screen by double-clicking on the screen, not by pressing ALT-ENTER.

That seems to work ok. Does it make any sense at all?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling