Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 25th June 2022, 08:37   #1  |  Link
CapricornX10X

Understanding of the dolby vision layer in bluray uhd

Hello everyone, I have a bluray uhd title
And I noticed that there are two video tracks:
1. 4k resolution with hdr 10
2. HD resolution with dolby vision

Can anyone give me an explanation of this.

And another thing If i want to rip the disc to mkv or mt2s does the dolby vision layer remain?
CapricornX10X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2022, 08:41   #2  |  Link
CapricornX10X

screenshot

this is the screenshot from the title
Attached Images

Old 27th June 2022, 11:21   #3  |  Link
CapricornX10X

anoter question

Movies that have a dolby vision layer have an additional 1920x1080 file. Which is basically the add-on that enables dolby vision.

My hallucinatory question ... is it technically possible to "get smart"?

And take the same layer of dolby vision and add it to the title of a movie that does not have the dolby vision layer

And make adjustments of course like cutting time and adjusting to the relevant film
Old 27th June 2022, 12:58   #4  |  Link
von Suppé

A short explanation to DV enhanced UHDBD. It uses Dolby Vision Profile 7. Which means indeed two videotracks are muxed in the m2ts: basic layer (BL) and enhancement layer (EL). Non-DV compliant equipment will only use BL. EL will also be processed when played back on DV compliant equipment.

BL is 10bit (HDR) HEVC encoded independent video.
EL can be MEL (Minimal Enhancement Layer) or FEL (Full Enhancement Layer). MEL only holds RPU, which is Dolby Vision's metadata. FEL (Full Enhancement Layer) holds RPU and extra videodata. This extra videodata + BL make up for full 12bit video.

As for your question
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapricornX10X View Post
...take the same layer of dolby vision and add it to the title of a movie that does not have the dolby vision layer
No, that is not possible. EL and BL must have same order of frametypes. Read https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool/issues/44

However, you can extract RPU from UHDBD's EL, convert it to Profile 8.1 and inject it into another source. As you noticed, you indeed have to check if framenumbers match, otherwise a delay has to be applied. Another thing to watch is if the target video is cropped.

The dovi_tool from quietvoid can do all this. But I think you should read https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=183479
-QfG- put a lot of effort in creating very helpful scripts that will make things easier.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote