Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 19th January 2002, 15:11   #1  |  Link
yosemite
Half Dome - Come and see!

What's more important: "Bits/pixel*frame" or "Compressibility check" ?

hi,

after I have read the DivX3 guide for Gknot, I do not know if I have understand it correctly, so:

At first, the guide says that the "Bits/pixel*frame" box, (before the 5% compr.check)should be around 0.20 if u go for 1 CD!

Then the guide talks about the Compressibility Check with the 5%!
After I have done that, GKnot shows me a value of "57,5% of 0.581 Compressibilty Test" (I know that I shouldnt go under 60% but this is not so important for this movie).
OK, I have put down my resolution so that I get this 57,5% value!
But now the value of the "Bits/pixel*frame" box shows "0.334", that's 0.134 higher than needed, isnt it?

But I cannot go up with my resolution because then I would go below that 57,5%!

So, what is more important now? The value of the "Bits/pixel*frame" box or the Compressibility Check value?

Yosemite National Park, CA - The greatest place on earth
yosemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2002, 15:45   #2  |  Link
Ripe73
DVDR Freak!

HI!

I think if it is more bits/pixel the movie need it to compress the 57%,i always check the %
Old 19th January 2002, 20:10   #3  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

In who wants to update the Q&A ?, diji1 (thanks, dude!) wrote the following Q&A:

Quote:
Q: What does the bits/pixel*frames number mean ? What does the compression check do ? Do I need to use it ?

A: The bits/pixel*frame number provides a very rough guide as to whether the resolution is appropriate for the bitrate. It should only be used to determine the resolution settings before running a compression check. Suggested values are around 0.22 for 1 CD rips and around 0.27 for 2 CD rips. The compression check should always be run after setting this, and this value can be ignored from then on.

The compression check encodes a small portion of the movie to check how "compressible" it actually is as no 2 movies will be compressed to the same quality using the same settings. After it has finished the number next to the "load" button shows the quality of the movie as a percentage - under 65% means it is below optimum quality and you should lower resolution and over 75% means you could raise the resolution ( if appropriate - you may be happy with resolution ).

After you have set the correct resolution you must use the same field operation, noise filter and resizing settings in the first/second pass as the compression check for the check to valid.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote