Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th May 2018, 06:36   #50841  |  Link
ryrynz

Defaults run smoothly :P reset madVR to defaults and enjoy the smoothness.
Someone needs to compile a set of profiles for various cards to avoid these same old questions.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 07:08   #50842  |  Link
XYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Someone needs to compile a set of profiles for various cards to avoid these same old questions.
Yes, please !
XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 08:06   #50843  |  Link
Asmodian

I recently got a 1050 Ti, I will attempt to make a profile tuned for it to pair with my current profiles for a 1080 Ti.

But it will be a few days.
Old 16th May 2018, 08:25   #50844  |  Link
XYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I recently got a 1050 Ti, I will attempt to make a profile tuned for it to pair with my current profiles for a 1080 Ti.

I would be very pleased.
XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 09:00   #50845  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

Do you make a profile for 4k display ?
I'm looking for buying this card for my 1080p PJ.
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 10:32   #50846  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post
Here are my settings for 24/25p material for my 1050 Ti on a 1080 display:

576p: NGU Sharp, luma doubling very high, chroma very high + upscaling Jinc, downscaling Lanczos4

720p: NGU Sharp, luma doubling high, chroma high + upscaling Jinc, downscaling SSIM2D100

2160p: scale chroma separately, downscaling SSIM2D100, convert HDR using shader math complex scientific RGB clip measure each frame's peak luminance

I'm using ReconSoft for chroma upsampling on all profiles, but you should choose the one you prefer.

I'm not using any image enhancements options but you should have some GPU power left if needed.

All in all I'm very happy with the 1050 Ti on a 1080 display. Hope this helps but I'm not pretending to be a reference user.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:03   #50847  |  Link
madjock

Questions

I have a 1050 Ti and well...

It is all very subjective for me, I think in hindsight if it was not for the HDR -> SDR Conversion to view 4K to 1080p I struggle to tell the difference, now that I have tried various concoctions and settings reading multiple guides and what people have in their settings.

I also don't understand how people can say "I do not need 4k sources on my 4k display as it makes 1080p so good!, this to me is not possible as you cannot add detail to a source, yes you may tweak an image sharpness etc, but not add anything to it as such.

I can hardly talk as I am using 4k a lot on 1080p and all the extra resources that uses including hard drive space, so what do I know.

It is also quite hard to find settings for 4K to 1080p as well, if there is that much extra detail (maybe) is there any settings that make any difference ?, how do you know what HDR tweaks to tweak if you do not have HDR on your TV.

I also find if I do not have scale chroma separately in the trade quality for performance, then I have a huge performance hit, what is the downside of this ?

I did chase the 23.976 for a while, and best thing I found was to roll back to 390.77 drivers, setup a custom res in Nvidia Control Panel, change 24 in refresh rate, then select Timing, select GTF to get those settings, then select Manual so you can edit them, and change the lower setting of 24 to 23.976. It is as near as dammit and floats between 23.9759 to 23.9762 or something, think I had it even closer at one point, but using Insider builds with Win 10 things change all the time as you can imagine.

I gave the MadVR custom settings a shot but found either they would not take, gave me a fuzzy picture or generally was a waste of time messing about with, but ultimately I started thinking Ive managed for years without worrying about 23.976 dead with Kodi using the standard Video player and never noticed any issues, so step away from the fixation I said and watch some films.

I started using the test MadVR that was going about, and then .14 when I found out there had been two updates inbetween, but I could be wrong but I have never seen any info on what to chose with all the new HDR to SDR settings and what they do ?. It is also hard to find what people use fro NIT settings as well.

Also how the heck do you stop MadVR settings from being on the top of everything all the time ? or am I thick ?.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 14:59   #50848  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Did you try the HD4000 to determine if it is a driver problem?
I forced it to use the Intel HD 4000 GPU instead of the Nvidia 680M, and playback appears to function at full screen (granted settings need to be reduced to minimums to not have drastically high amounts of glitches and render times).

I've also found that while the screen / mouse cursor is flashing right before driver crash if I : 1) drag the mouse to the bottom of the screen (bringing up the seek bar),2) press the Windows key, 3) have an on screen settings popup box (like madVR settings) forcing d3d9 windowed mode video appears and plays, and the GPU doesn't crash while any of those things are active on screen.

In summary (after the Windows update auto applied 5/13/18):
MPC-HC + madVR + LAV + XySubfilter using Nvidia 680M= fails to play full screen
MPC-HC + madVR + LAV + XySubfilter using Intel HD 4000 = plays in fullscreen successfully
MPC-HC + EVR Custom+ LAV + XySubfilter using Nvidia 680M = plays in fullscreen successfully

Edit:
by going into madVR settings -> rendering -> windowed mode and unchecking "present several frames in advance" making the videos run in D3D9 windowed (old path) I am able to play the videos at full screen.

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 16th May 2018 at 15:08. Reason: update with unchecking "present several frames in advance"
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 17:03   #50849  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I have a 1050 Ti and well...
If you're watching mostly 1080p at 1080p, then this is basically passthrough. If comparing to Kodi VideoPlayer, it simply renders pixels less faithfully. If you switch back and forth long enough, you will notice very small differences in color and occasional noise in VideoPlayer, but it is not a major change. madVR should also be slightly sharper, but this can be difficult to detect. But that's how the content was mastered. If you want it to be sharper, sharpen the image. If you want less noise, use artifact removal. But, mostly, the pixels are being rendered faithfully without adding any artificial detail.

If upscaling 1080p to 4K, you can indeed add detail to the image. Image upscaling will approximate what a low resolution image would look like if it was a high resolution image. There are four times as many pixels in a 1080p source upscaled to 4K. Unless you use Nearest Neighbor for upscaling, those new pixels will add detail to the image that was not there previously.

If you scale chroma separately, the chroma layer will be slightly lower quality. This is not overly important when doing a large downscale, so you can check this if you need to save resources. The only thing important is the quality of image downscaling. I would recommend using SSIM 1D 100%. If you select this, you may be able to uncheck the chroma quality checkbox with your graphics card.

As for HDR -> SDR conversion, it is completely up to experimentation. There are many settings because it is a work-in-progress. The setting "dumb - convert gamut late" is popular, while there doesn't seem to be consensus on the best scientific method. The target nits is like a brightness adjustment, and you can use any value you want, as long as the image looks good to your eyes. There is no scientifically accurate value. Higher target nits will crush the low end in attempt to increase the detail of the specular highlights at the top end, but this can lead to black crush at high enough values.

I don't know what you mean by having madVR settings on top of everything all of the time. Just close it if it is stealing focus from other windows.

Last edited by Warner306; 16th May 2018 at 17:17.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 17:08   #50850  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
Also how the heck do you stop MadVR settings from being on the top of everything all the time ? or am I thick ?.
I have no way of evaluating your thickness, but Ctrl-J toggles the on-screen display.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 17:12   #50851  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
Edit:
by going into madVR settings -> rendering -> windowed mode and unchecking "present several frames in advance" making the videos run in D3D9 windowed (old path) I am able to play the videos at full screen.
I would try an older driver before giving up. You are using an older graphics card, so proper driver support will always be a concern.

madshi would have to comment on your issue given the specific nature of your problem and the apparent solution, but he could be at the mercy of the driver.
Old 16th May 2018, 17:20   #50852  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Hello everybody ,
I'm trying now for a few days to set the madVR so that 1080p & 2160p movies run smoothly.
Unfortunately, I don't get it somehow (either the 4k movies are running well or the BluRays).
... seems to be a high art, to adjust the madVR well!

Does anyone of you use an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphic card with a 4k-TV, where the playback of 1080p & 2160p movies runs smoothly?
I would be very happy about his attitude to it - preferably everything with screenshots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Defaults run smoothly :P reset madVR to defaults and enjoy the smoothness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post

@Warner306 has detailed set up guides and sample profiles for the GTX 1050 & 1080.

At the very least these are brilliant starting points.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...974#pid2238974
Clown shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 18:08   #50853  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown shoes View Post
@Warner306 has detailed set up guides and sample profiles for the GTX 1050 & 1080.

At the very least these are brilliant starting points.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...974#pid2238974
I would change some of those settings based on recent experience, but it probably wouldn't hurt anything if you wanted to try those settings. I can't see any reason to use debanding with 10-bit, 4K sources. And NGU Sharp does seem to benefit from using soften edges 1 or 2 depending on the scaling factor. I noticed this when upscaling still images. NGU Sharp is a good chroma upscaler, but I don't know if it's the best chroma upscaler.

Last edited by Warner306; 16th May 2018 at 18:10.
Old 16th May 2018, 18:28   #50854  |  Link
CHEF-KOCH
madVR + LAVFilters User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz
If there is an interest in a global database for madvr profiles then send your profiles too me and I'll upload them with a proper description and credits and of course a small explanation. I would see this as step forward since people can simply download those profiles and compare, when something is wrong you can safe a lot of time explaining each toggle you changed by just download the specific profile/settings and replace it and then restart madvr.

It's not that this is against existent guides but who really reads them, especially beginners are really fast pissed off and it anyway ends up testing everything as per own needs. I also doubt that such profiles wasting much bandwidth. Just PM me and I see what I can do.

Edit:

https://github.com/CHEF-KOCH/madVR-profiles

You can submit your profile/settings via Pull Request or Issue Ticket.

Last edited by CHEF-KOCH; 16th May 2018 at 19:09.
CHEF-KOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 18:51   #50855  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Quote:
I would change some of those settings based on recent experience, but it probably wouldn't hurt anything if you wanted to try those settings. I can't see any reason to use debanding with 10-bit, 4K sources. And NGU Sharp does seem to benefit from using soften edges 1 or 2 depending on the scaling factor. I noticed this when upscaling still images. NGU Sharp is a good chroma upscaler, but I don't know if it's the best chroma upscaler.
I'd be interested to hear what other elements of those profiles you no longer apply?

I already use soften edges and grain with NGU sharp.

Are you saying you no longer NGU sharp for chroma?
Old 16th May 2018, 19:00   #50856  |  Link
brazen1

settings.bin's for common database

Here is my settings.bin for a GTX960 4GB using 4k and 3D.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xuhr0te0k...tings.zip?dl=0
Attached Files
File Type: zip settings.zip (16.5 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by brazen1; 16th May 2018 at 22:11.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 19:43   #50857  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

I'm interested to hear if anyone is successfully using a 3D LUT for HDR in their current setup?

At present I can only get HDR looking right if I use passthrough. If I create a LUT using MadVRTPG and DisplayCal using the MadVR HDR template the resulting image is a total mess with highlights going red.
Old 16th May 2018, 21:15   #50858  |  Link
Asmodian

I like NGU AA high as my favorite chroma upscaler, with medium a close second.
Old 16th May 2018, 21:22   #50859  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
If upscaling 1080p to 4K, you can indeed add detail to the image. Image upscaling will approximate what a low resolution image would look like if it was a high resolution image. There are four times as many pixels in a 1080p source upscaled to 4K. Unless you use Nearest Neighbor for upscaling, those new pixels will add detail to the image that was not there previously.

I am a big fan of your knowledge and have used a lot of information you have passed on and lessons learnt from you, but I have to disagree with your statement, this is like saying all 2k masters to 4k UHDs are at most slightly better detail and this is after a studio and techs and mastering equipment messes with it, are you telling me an app, as wonderful as it is, is capable of adding detail to a 1080p image to make it as good as 4K, I get a 720p to 1080p idea of this, but 1080p to 4k, I dont think so.

If you scale chroma separately, the chroma layer will be slightly lower quality. This is not overly important when doing a large downscale, so you can check this if you need to save resources. The only thing important is the quality of image downscaling. I would recommend using SSIM 1D 100%. If you select this, you may be able to uncheck the chroma quality checkbox with your graphics card.

I think I tried that, that was my original setting with it, messed about with DXVA yesterday, never saw much of a difference, but, I ticked the trade quality, and went back to lots of high settings again anyway

As for HDR -> SDR conversion, it is completely up to experimentation. There are many settings because it is a work-in-progress. The setting "dumb - convert gamut late" is popular, while there doesn't seem to be consensus on the best scientific method. The target nits is like a brightness adjustment, and you can use any value you want, as long as the image looks good to your eyes. There is no scientifically accurate value. Higher target nits will crush the low end in attempt to increase the detail of the specular highlights at the top end, but this can lead to black crush at high enough values.

Understood. But I was hoping there was explanations on what each part did (not that I would understand it tbh), but I think you can agree most of the options we have are very discernible at best, so just a general this does this would help most I think.

I don't know what you mean by having madVR settings on top of everything all of the time. Just close it if it is stealing focus from other windows.
I hear you, but when messing with different settings to see differences and the like, it would be a lot easier to switch it to focus as you were doing this, be it custom resolutions, HDR settings and the likes, thought I was missing an easy fix thats all. But then again I only worked out quite recently that double clicking on the Mad VR icon would bring up the settings itself, rather than click click, so was just checking to see if I missed another trick
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 21:29   #50860  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, I have had good results with an HDR 3DLUT. I have to change my TV's mode off of PC though, so I get better gamut coverage. In PC mode I get clipping of the gamut, resulting in odd off-magenta banding in highlights.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling