Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th August 2002, 15:03   #1  |  Link
Crzylgs15

DVD9 to DVD5 (Should be simple)

The VOBs for the main movie are small enough to fit on a DVD-5, but the extras put it over the allowable size for a DVD-5. Isn't their a simple way to lose the extras and still make the movie playable in a standalone DVD player?

If IFOedit is the only way, please be specific on the instructions with that program as I have tried to use it before and it doesn't seem to play in my standalone player.

Thanks.
Crzylgs15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2002, 19:03   #2  |  Link
colebert
Elite Member

I use DVDDycrypter in "IFO MODE" which selects the main movie VOBS. Then I enable stream processing and remove all the foreign languages and subs. Then I rip. I open the IFO DVDDycrypter ripped with the VOBs in IFOEDIT. I run Get VTS Sectors twice and restart IFOEDIT. Then I goto VOB EXTRAS and check Correct VOB, Correct IFO, and Create New (nothing else checked in the options box) and make new VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_01_01.IFO. After that runs I overwrite the old IFOs with the new ones and run Get VTS Sectors twice more.

Using this method you won't have menus or extras, etc.

-Cole
colebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2002, 03:34   #3  |  Link
Crzylgs15

I did that and I don't have any sound now.

WinDVD 4.0 - has sound playing
PowerDVD XP - no sound
Standalone - no sound

Any suggestions?
Old 8th August 2002, 04:45   #4  |  Link
colebert
Elite Member

"Sounds" like you selected an audio stream that wasn't the default (0x80). If you don't select the first audio stream in Stream Processing, you have to tell DVDDecrypter to map it to 0x80, the default audio stream a player looks for.

If thats your problem, you can go into IFOEDIT, open the VTS_01_0.IFO file and under VOB Extras and check "strip streams" and keep the only working stream. Also have checked the first three options I told you to in the first post. DOn't forget to Get VTS Sectors a couple times after its all over.

For the disc you burned that doesn't play in the settop, try getting sound by changing the audio language selection.

Does that sound like the problem?

-Cole

Last edited by colebert; 8th August 2002 at 04:49.
Old 8th August 2002, 16:56   #5  |  Link
Crzylgs15

You were correct it was Track 2. The movie is Top Gun and track 1 is 2 channel and I wanted 6 channel.

What changes in the process when I strip the audio?

Thanks Cole for your help and patience.
Old 8th August 2002, 18:11   #6  |  Link
colebert
Elite Member

when IFOEDIT strips the tracks it is weeding out all the streams you didn't select (for instance 2ch) and keeping 6ch, then chaning the IFO file to reflect that the 6ch is the default stream. In your case, since you had already stripped the 2ch in DVDDecrypter its just changing the IFO to reflect the only audio stream present in the VOB.

If the 2ch was actually present in the VOB it would actually be removing it from all the VOBs.

-Cole
Old 9th August 2002, 16:35   #7  |  Link
Crzylgs15

Thanks again Cole. I ripped the movie again with DVD Decrypter and did not strip any streams until I got to IFOedit. I did the Get VTS Sectors twice, then closed IFOedit, then opened IFOedit, then VOB EXTRAS, checks were in Strip Streams (to get 6 ch), other 3 you listed, Remove P-UOps, Remove Macrovision, Adjust VOB-Unit Pointers &Adjust Audio/Subp Point. Any suggestions?
Old 9th August 2002, 16:37   #8  |  Link
Crzylgs15

I forgot to include that it gave me the error of not being able to find the VIDEO_TS.IFO file.
Old 9th August 2002, 17:56   #9  |  Link
colebert
Elite Member

I tend not to like the IFOEdit way of stripping the streams because it hoggs space. You have to copy the whole movie to disk, then IFOEdit makes another copy of the movie w/o the streams. I prefer to just strip them at the same time they are ripped.

If you rip with DVD Decrypter and do stream processing, make sure you map a stream to 0x80 if you strip the first stream (which in this case you did). The way to do this is in stream processing, when you processed out the 2ch, to click on the 6ch and a little box appears below it saying "MAP TO." Map it to 0x80.

The reason IFOEdit is giving you no Video_TS.IFO error is because the way i've told you to rip with DVDDecrypter doesn't give you one. You have to make one by opening the IFO DVDDecypter did give you (VTS_XX_X.IFO) and checking the following options in VOB EXTRAs within IFOEdit:

"Correct VOB..."
"Correct IFO..."
"Create New..."

Make sure you set the destination directory to something different that the directory you have the VOBs in. It will process everything, then spit out 4 files (2 VIDEO_TS and 2 VTS_01_1 IFO files). Move them back into the directory with the VOBs, run GET VTS a couple times and you should be good to go.

Keep it up, we'll eventually get this fixed.

-Cole

Last edited by colebert; 9th August 2002 at 18:01.
Old 12th August 2002, 00:24   #10  |  Link
blahblah9

Sorry if this is a silly question but could you please explain why you run GET VTS sectors more than once?

Thanks
blahblah9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2002, 17:09   #11  |  Link
jacobjef

CRZYLGS,

This is a great way you've provided to rip dvd-9's and conserve space. Thanks. One question though, I've had no problems doing this method on my desktop machine; XP, cleron 500mhz, 192 ram. However, when I try to do the same exact method on my laptop, XP, P4, 1.7ghz, 256 ram, IFO edit doesn't respond when I try to run VOB EXTRAS. Any clues what could be causing this? Maybe I should also post this in the IFO section too?

Thanks
jacobjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2002, 19:47   #12  |  Link
colebert
Elite Member

the new version of DVD Decrypter puts a PGC_XX in your VOB files while it leaves the IFO file as originally named. IFOEdit looks for VOBs named the same as whats in the IFO file. But since DVDDecrypter has renamed them you're probably not getting any action from IFOEdit for that reason.

If thats the reason, just rename them to remove the PGC_X text and rename them back to their original names on the DVD. Lightning is working on an update to fix this.

-Cole
Old 21st August 2002, 02:53   #13  |  Link
jacobjef

THANKS COLE,

That's exactly what the problem was.
jacobjef is offline   Reply With Quote