Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th February 2012, 14:38   #9001  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
It never hurts, but its not necessary.
OK, thanks. I'll have to check out this new installer.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Old 12th February 2012, 14:57   #9002  |  Link
entrecour

LAV Audio Config works fine now.
entrecour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 15:33   #9003  |  Link
DragonQ

It worked fine for me before 0.46 v2. :/
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 16:04   #9004  |  Link
Xaurus

Thanks nev for 0.46!

Since you're an Nvidia guy, what decoder do you use for MPEG4-ASP? Reading through all the posts here it seems the CUVID decoder has some problems with this.

Also, does anyone know a site where I can download some test clips for the major formats?
Old 12th February 2012, 16:11   #9005  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I just use software decoding for MPEG4-ASP, no reason to bother with hardware for such a stupidly simple format.
Old 12th February 2012, 16:16   #9006  |  Link
RBG

nevcairiel

Thank you very much for your hard work. As a feature request, can you add a separate decoding method selection for hardware accelerated formats in future. For example, as it is now, it is impossible to select CUVID for H.264, MPEG-2, VC-1 and DXVA(c/b) for WMV3, or select QS for H.264, MPEG-2, VC-1 and CUVID for MPEG-4 asp, you just have to stick with one decoding API for all supported formats.
RBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 16:18   #9007  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

are lavaudio and splitter actually able to play and split/demux dts express tracks?
Old 12th February 2012, 16:19   #9008  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
are lavaudio and splitter actually able to play and split/demux dts express tracks?
Split sure.
Play only with the ArcSoft DTS decoder (dtsdecoderdll.dll)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBG View Post
As a feature request, can you add a separate decoding method selection for hardware accelerated formats in future. For example, as it is now, it is impossible to select CUVID for H.264, MPEG-2, VC-1 and DXVA(c/b) for WMV3, or select QS for H.264, MPEG-2, VC-1 and CUVID for MPEG-4 asp, you just have to stick with one decoding API for all supported formats.
I would rather stick with a simpler configuration.
Its not only my config that would need to change, its also the programmatic config interface which would no longer be backwards compatible. All the major formats are supported by all of the different APIs, and i personally don't really care all that much about wmv3, and even less about mpeg4-asp
It might be easier to teach wmv3 to cuvid. There are also rumors that QuickSync will get wmv3 hw support in some upcoming driver.

I may change the configuration some day to allow this, but i doubt it'll be soon.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 12th February 2012 at 16:28.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 16:38   #9009  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

droping the dtsdecoderdll.dll into the lav (x86) dir doesnt seem to work for some reason. it still doesnt play the dts express file properly and also the dts-hd options for bitstreaming are greyed out.
Old 12th February 2012, 16:40   #9010  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
also the dts(hd) options for bitstreaming are greyed out.
The DTS-HD option is only greyed out when DTS is not selected.
Its currently not possible to bitstream DTS-HD but not DTS, thats why.
Also, bitstreaming DTS Express is not supported.

The DLL is not required for bitstreaming in any case, only for decoding.
Old 12th February 2012, 16:42   #9011  |  Link
adam777

Thank for the new version, nev
I have a request/question - a bit long, so try to keep up

I'm using Zoom Player and its equivalent to MPC-HC's preferred filters is Smart Play, that while smart indeed (you are able to configure exact filter chain per file type), has a very annoying limitation - you can't define a globally preferred filter.
That is, marking a splitter as preferred is relatively easy - you can define file types it will handle by extensions.
When it comes to decoders, you can't specify a wildcard that will serve as "try and throw anything you encounter on this decoder", but rather have to specify which media subtypes each decoder will handle.

Now, in order to get the media subtypes supported by LAV Audio/Video I do the following:
- Add as preferred in MPC-HC.
- Go to the registry and export the relevant key which contains all of those media subtypes.
- Some text editing and I have a list of all supported media subtypes for both decoders, which I can use in Zoom Player Smart Play profile.
Pretty annoying to do it on each LAV update.

The best solution would be to allow the definition of wildcard in Zoom Player, and a feature request was made.
However, in the meantime, is there anywhere I can see the supported media subtypes per decoder in a more straight forward way? (that is, somewhere in the code, obviously not a function you should provide).

On a side note, while doing the above I noticed there are a lot of duplications. For example, in LAV Audio, out of a list of about 120 media subtypes there are ~60 unique (GraphStudioNext shows another, different, number).

Adam.
adam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 16:45   #9012  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
The DTS-HD option is only greyed out when DTS is not selected.
Its currently not possible to bitstream DTS-HD but not DTS, thats why.
Also, bitstreaming DTS Express is not supported.

The DLL is not required for bitstreaming in any case, only for decoding.
alright, but decoding still doesnt work for some reason. turns a dts express track of 2h9m into a 193h track which only produces garbage and also which cannot be opened with mpc-hc unless I use the sonic HD demuxer (so lav splitter is not even loaded despite it has been set to prefer)
Old 12th February 2012, 16:50   #9013  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam777 View Post
However, in the meantime, is there anywhere I can see the supported media subtypes per decoder in a more straight forward way? (that is, somewhere in the code, obviously not a function you should provide).
Media.cpp has the list of all subtypes in both decoders. However, i doubt it'll help you much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam777 View Post
On a side note, while doing the above I noticed there are a lot of duplications. For example, in LAV Audio, out of a list of about 120 media subtypes there are ~60 unique (GraphStudioNext shows another, different, number).
GraphStudio says 62 for LAV Audio for me, which seems to be the correct number from a quick rough count in the code.
Since you seem to take that from MPC-HC, maybe it is bugged or its storage is weird.
Old 12th February 2012, 16:51   #9014  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
alright, but decoding still doesnt work for some reason. turns a dts express track of 2h9m into a 193h track which only produces garbage and also which cannot be opened with mpc-hc unless I use the sonic HD demuxer (so lav splitter is not even loaded despite it has been set to prefer)
You mean a raw dts-express file?
I don't know if that would work, and honestly i don't really care that much. Mux it into a MKV together with the movie were it belongs.

I've only ever tested DTS Express directly from Blu-ray m2ts, because thats the only place known to me where it exists.
Old 12th February 2012, 16:53   #9015  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
You mean a raw dts-express file?Mux it into a MKV together with the movie were it belongs.
not supported by mkvmerge (and apparently mosu doesnt care enough to implement this)
Old 12th February 2012, 17:03   #9016  |  Link
adam777

Quote:
Media.cpp has the list of all subtypes in both decoders. However, i doubt it'll help you much.

GraphStudio says 62 for LAV Audio for me, which seems to be the correct number from a quick rough count in the code.
Since you seem to take that from MPC-HC, maybe it is bugged or its storage is weird.
I'll have a look ,thanks.
adam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 17:06   #9017  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
is it possible to do bitstreaming when possible and fall back to software decoding when not a la ac3filter?
I've put it on a todo list for later, but its not really high priority, so it might be a while.
Old 12th February 2012, 18:06   #9018  |  Link
RBG

Quote:
I would rather stick with a simpler configuration.
Its not only my config that would need to change, its also the programmatic config interface which would no longer be backwards compatible. All the major formats are supported by all of the different APIs, and i personally don't really care all that much about wmv3, and even less about mpeg4-asp
It might be easier to teach wmv3 to cuvid. There are also rumors that QuickSync will get wmv3 hw support in some upcoming driver.

I may change the configuration some day to allow this, but i doubt it'll be soon.
Then, I just have to wait. That is how it looks in PotPlayer.
RBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 18:41   #9019  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Thanks for the new version!
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.

Last edited by STaRGaZeR; 12th February 2012 at 18:51.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 18:45   #9020  |  Link

I have a couple of questions which aren't specific to the new version, but I was wondering if I could get some help with.

Firstly, subtitles. I've had a look over the documentation here and I think I have it mostly figured out.

I only speak English, and I don't need subtitles for English-speaking films, but I do need subtitles for anything else. Currently what seems to be working is:

"eng:*|f;eng:*|d;*:eng"

Which, if I understand the documentation correctly, does:
  1. If English, play any forced subtitles.
  2. If English and no forced subtitles are found, play default subtitles. (typically disables subtitles)
  3. If audio is not English, display English subtitles.
This seems to be working in most cases, except forced subtitles never seem to display anything.

One of the more mainstream examples I can think of where this is a problem, would be Kill Bill Vol. 2 where the film is mostly in English, but there is a section in the middle where they are speaking in Cantonese. When I play this in PowerDVD, this works as you would expect, automatically playing subtitles for the Cantonese parts without any configuration, but nothing for the English-speaking parts.

With LAV Filters using my current configuration, it selects the "Forced Subtitles (auto)" track, but doesn't display any subtitles throughout the film.

I have to select the third English subtitle track (pictured) to only have subtitles appear during the Cantonese sections. The first English subtitle applies to all spoken parts, and the second on the list includes audio descriptions.

Is there any way to have this happen automatically?

My second issue, which I'm not sure if it's even related to LAV Filters, is playing back Apple Lossless files in MPC-HC. I just bought the Indie Game Music Bundle 2, which supplies the music as FLAC files. I then converted these to ALAC using dBpoweramp. Most of the tracks are fine, but the Machinarium soundtrack comes up with a "Failed to render" error, and if I try to load the folder as a playlist, MPC-HC crashes. The files work perfectly in iTunes or on my Apple devices though.

Is this something even affected by LAV, or does it need to be a video file with embedded audio for it to work? (I can't see a way to bring up a filter list in MPC-HC when audio tracks are playing)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter