Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st January 2002, 02:34   #61  |  Link
rmtaibo
MB Fan

from TMPGEnc creator Hiroyuki Hori and Pegasys Inc. site

http://www.tmpgenc.net/

Doom9's main page has a link to download the file since 12/29...

About my last post:

TMPGEnc will work if a VOB file has a constant (or almost constant) GOP structure,

And about Robshots guide:

If you take a look inside his method. Look very well at the bitrate viewer's MPEG-2 specs...

VARIABLE GOP PATTERN: NOT FOUND

That's why his method works. His movie has a constant GOP PATTERN

Why Does ReMPEG2 work?

Because it preserves the original GOP pattern along whole file. (The position of the "I" frames defines the GOP pattern)
rmtaibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2002, 20:20   #62  |  Link
wellyman

I've been having same issues. My question to all you gurus is:
Am I right in saying that its not possible to re-encode a movie with cce if its got variable GOP? I have tried Rempeg2.5.1 and have been unhappy with the quality, even at 85%. Seems svcd is better, although giving up ac3. I'm assuming all of you that have posted in this thread are looking for better quality than rempeg. Has anyone been able to get the video from cce to sync with orig. ac3?
wellyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2002, 23:27   #63  |  Link
IcedT

note really sure about some of this but here goes

Quote:
rmtaibo: If you check "Detect Scene Change" the original GOP structure will change completely. When any scene changes occur, TMPGEnc will broke the GOP structure and begins with a new I picture (new GOP). And the new VOB file will get a lot of "I" pictures more than the original. Maybe this is the reason for Out of Sync problem.

Check if CCE has this option.
Yeah, it has. 'Other Settings::Video' > GOP tab > Check 'Restrict Auto I-Frame Insertion'

[see the attachment, I hope]

It says in the documention that it inserts i frames for easier video editing. There's also more options regarding GOP structure, but I have no idea what to use those for. What I do know however, is that CCE's image quality is absolutely mind-blowing, especially vbr, it does 3 passes plus the initial CBR in the same time that the free tools need for one CBR on my Athlon 1.4.

The longest CCE + AC3 I have made thus far is 25 mins long (muxed with bbmpg). Sync. But I don't have a standalone, that's the only the mpg/vob with PowerDVD, without the IFO stuff. So I, too, would really like to know how to do that.

Also, I can't correctly play 2 audio stream multiplexed with the m2v. PowerDVD only sees the first, and, oddly, WMP sees only the second. Do you need the IFO's for that?? Or does bbmpg produce non-standard streams?

On a different note: Is there some good guide on all that progressive/FILM/pull-down whatever stuff? If I don't force film in dvd2avi I always either screw up sync or image.

I'm really curious how this unfolds.
IcedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2002, 23:42   #64  |  Link
IcedT

um, no attachments, hm? and I made such a nice 5k png

-----------------------||
|Video|GOP|Audio|

GOP settings

gop sequence: /ibbpbbpbb.../ibbpbbp...

M= [select] N/M=[select]

gop header every( [select] * N) frame(s)

seq header every [select] gop(s)

[x] Restrict auto I frame

[] Close all GOPs

------------------------||
Old 4th January 2002, 00:29   #65  |  Link
IcedT

Quote:
wellyman wrote:
I've been having same issues. My question to all you gurus is <...> Has anyone been able to get the video from cce to sync with orig. ac3?
If all you want is a quality movie-only rip, then yes. Check here.

CCE is the same as LSX, only much better with all kinds of options.

[not quite a guru tho]
Old 4th January 2002, 16:32   #66  |  Link
IcedT

Quote:
Originally posted by rmtaibo
TMPGEnc will work if a VOB file has a constant (or almost constant) GOP structure, [...]

Why Does ReMPEG2 work?

Because it preserves the original GOP pattern along whole file. (The position of the "I" frames defines the GOP pattern)
The same as for TMPGEnc then goes for CCE, I think. It does not preserve the original GOP structure, but you can exactly specify a Constant GOP Pattern in CCE or let it insert I-frames at scene changes.

However, if I understand the function of I, B, P frames correctly, isn't it actually good for the quality at lower bitrates if I-frames are inserted at scene changes?

In any case CCE is simply too good not to use it.
Old 4th January 2002, 16:44   #67  |  Link
IcedT

So if the GOP structure is the problem,
couldn't you somehow 'parse' a vob's GOP pattern,
and then automate neccessary adjustments to your Ifo stuff,
based on the GOP pattern that you set CCE to use
???
Old 4th January 2002, 21:33   #68  |  Link
robshot

I just have to get into this too :)

Hi all...
been reading this thread carefully.

reMPEG2 generates a .vif file when it reads a vob.

Is there someway we could extract the GOP info and stuff from this and kinda "overlay" it over the .vaf that 1st pass CCE creates?

Also, how reliable is DVD2AVI FORCED FILM/NONE/ treatment to the original vob. I've often compared rempeg2 total number of pic/frames with DVD2AVI total number of frames. They are 99% different (off by 4 - 8 frames)

Cheers