Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th March 2009, 11:19   #1  |  Link
DVD Maniac

Freeware Media Player(s) and HD Playback Support

Not having ventured into the world of freeware players for sometime i'm finding it very confusing to locate any definitive answer as to which of (the many) here have Blu Ray / HD DVD playback support from either Optical Disk or HDD Folder?

Im fed up with playing the upgrade game with the commercial options and finding functionality being removed

Trawling the threads is not proving useful so maybe someone could reply with some guidance which would be much appreciated. I'm running Vista x64 with a 9800 Nvidia card and a dual core AMD processor if that influences the choices.

Thanks
DVD Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 16:22   #2  |  Link
Turtleggjp

I don't think any freeware tools will playback the entire disc structure yet. Your best bet is to use tools such as eac3to, tsmuxer, tsremux, and mkvmerge to process the main movie into a single .mkv or .m2ts file that can then be played on something like Media Player Classic Home Cinema, which has support for hardware acceleration (H.264 only though for your video card, VC-1 will have to be done in software).
Turtleggjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 17:51   #3  |  Link
Jong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleggjp View Post
VC-1 will have to be done in software.
Not quite right. Owners of ATI GPUs get VC-1 hardware acceleration too.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html
Jong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 18:19   #4  |  Link
NanoBot

NVidias onboard GPUs 9300 and 9400 ( only the onboard version, not the version used on discrete graphic cards ) are also able to fully decode VC.1 in hardware, using the internal VC.1 decoder of MPC HC. Nevertheless, the internal decoder is ( not yet ) able to decode interlaced VC.1 content, it only works with progressive VC.1 streams.
NanoBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 14:39   #5  |  Link
Turtleggjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Not quite right. Owners of ATI GPUs get VC-1 hardware acceleration too.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleggjp View Post
I don't think any freeware tools will playback the entire disc structure yet. Your best bet is to use tools such as eac3to, tsmuxer, tsremux, and mkvmerge to process the main movie into a single .mkv or .m2ts file that can then be played on something like Media Player Classic Home Cinema, which has support for hardware acceleration (H.264 only though for your video card, VC-1 will have to be done in software).
I was refering to his stated GeForce 9800 card, which as far as I know does not have full VC-1 acceleration. That's why I went with a GeForce 9400 motherboard for my HTPC. Aside from its inability to de-interlace 1080i content 100% perfectly without help from my GeForce 8500 card, I found it to be the better choice for such a setup. It also doesn't suffer from the blurring bug that the Radeon cards seem to have.
Turtleggjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 19:22   #6  |  Link
Jong

Fair enough!
Old 25th March 2009, 21:36   #7  |  Link
Sion

I'm confused.
This article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA_PureVideo
States that VC-1 and h.264 support (albeit limited) was available as far back as the 6600gt gpu's from Nvidia.
Sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 10:55   #8  |  Link
Jong

MPC-HC and the MPC Video Decoder specifically can only support DXVA in bitstreaming mode, i.e. where full decoding is done by the GPU. It cannot utilise the partial H.264 HA implementations in earlier GPUs and still in Nvidia GPUs for VC-1.