Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 29th May 2007, 10:50   #1  |  Link
itchione

pgcedit virtual player not smooth

I just updated to an old Dell 3GHz P4 GX520 as my last machine was even older

When using trace mode on pgcedit v8.2.1 (and the previous v7.3) the virtual player was not at all smooth in it's playback.
I know it wasn't the (on disk)DVD as playback was smooth within WinDVD, so it must have been a pgcedit configuration issue
Couldn't have been a user error

Read as much as i could within the pgcedit help file and tried searching this forum but without complete luck...

After playing with 'virtual player' and 'preview options' under 'setup' within the trace menu, i still had some problems.
I later ticked 'disable direct draw' under 'trace' and the playback became smooth although not at normal speed (it was faster than real-time).

Is there some configuration i have not as yet set correctly ?

The odd thing is that on my previous machine, a 1.1Ghz P3S, i didn't have to configure anything and it worked out of the box
Or was it that pgcedit does not provide real-time playback and my older P3 masked this problem ?

Cheers, Itchione
itchione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 14:35   #2  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Check your DirectX drivers. Run dxdiag from Window$.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 07:05   #3  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Indeed, on some systems, it is necessary to disable the directdraw overlays. I had the same problem, but after reinstalling Windows after an hard disc crash, it works fine now. I guess it's a problem with some DirectX drivers/codecs, but I have been unable to determine the cause of the problem.

The PgcEdit preview is not designed to run at real-time. Usually, it is slower when directdraw is disabled, but I suppose that the real speed is very hardware dependent, and, under directdraw, it depends also of the codecs installed on your system, and the way they are configured.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 10:09   #4  |  Link
itchione

Thanks for the info r0lZ, thats what i suspected.

Fault finding directx driver/coded issues can be a real pain but in my case i know it works if i disable direct draw so i will stick with that solution for now
As blutach has suggested, i ran dxdiag and all tested OK but i must admit i can't say i really know what i should look for
Atleast i know i have DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) and most .dll files are at version 5.03.2600.2180 with final retail attribute, english language and 4/08/2004 date (with a few exceptions).

As for playback speed, pity it can't handle real-time playback and sound, that would be sweet

Cheers, Itchione
Old 1st June 2007, 16:36   #5  |  Link
frank
Banned

Same issue here on my DELL Inspiron 640m notebook.
It uses chip graphics and I thought that was the problem.
I have to disable DirectX for smooth playing with PgcEdit.

But your P4 has a graphics adapter.
Now I believe there is a problem with dual core processors in DELL systems.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 07:55   #6  |  Link
itchione

The GX520 i have is the small form factor type.
That is, it only has one PCI slot, no AGP slot & has the 82945G Express Graphics chip onboard.

Doom3 is just bearable at lowest resolution
Also, doom3 stalls at startup and wont display menu buttons without trying to bring up the console, <ctrl><d>, first...

Tried the latest Intel drivers for this chipset, but obviously there is something going on when the driver install fails and intel install recommends you go back to Dell for 'their driver' !!!

As well, i see no real difference with and without hyperthreading activated in any of the apps i have used..

Initially i didn't care too much about the lack of a graphics port.
But with these sort of issues, i am reconsidering this machines worth.

Ah, it was only a stop gap until i got a new machine towards years end.
Maybe i will bring the replacement data forward a little

Cheers, Itchione