Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 7th December 2005, 21:34   #261  |  Link
LeMoi

OK but it doesn't solve the problem, SubRip still can't process such subs properly
LeMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 11:24   #262  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Well, I think one in thousands is a pretty good rate, especially for free software .
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 16:44   #263  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

SubRip 1.50 Beta 1 is up.

ChangeLog:
Added whole words formatting (in the corrections window): if more than half the letters of a word are formatted (italic, bold, underline), the entire word is formatted.
Added support for text formatting in subtitle window: .srt subtitles can now be visualized with formatting (italic, bold, underline, and color).
Lots of other GUI changes: a progress bar for loading char matrices, etc.
Moved to Delphi 2005 (but Delphi 7 is still supported).
Speedup in processing videos when the frames are empty (as in, no white parts).
Experimental Spanish language correction for I vs. l: need help checking if it works correctly.
Updated Swedish language (1.40 Beta 3) by Masken.

Last edited by ai4spam; 8th December 2005 at 17:32.
Old 11th December 2005, 06:42   #264  |  Link
Esc

Hey! Downloaded the new version. The new colors look great, I like them.
Didn't have a chance to test any new changes, but I think it would help to have a font where you can tell apart I's and l's as the default.
update Oops! My bad again. They really were all l's. So scratch that and leave just the "look great" part.

Last edited by Esc; 11th December 2005 at 06:46.
Esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2005, 11:46   #265  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Thanks for the comments. Actually, the default font (Arial) looks a lot like what is used for most subtitles. The reason I chose it, however, was because it's the only on that has the entire UniCode set. You can easily set your own font if you don't do subtitles in "esotreric" languages.
Old 12th December 2005, 15:31   #266  |  Link
hawk123

Hey, ai4spam

TQ for sharing this great and little program.

I am new to this Subrip program.

I would like to know how can I change the color palette when I want to extract subtitles from DVD (ifo/vob files) to bmp format (sonic scenarist or spruce DVDMaestro) using Subrip. It seems that whatever color I choose the program just doesn't change it. It still sticks to the color set of red color background, blue text and white outline.

TQ in advance.

P/S: I can change the color palette if I save it to other format (I-Author, Philip SVCD Designer, Sonic DVD Creator and Pinnacle Impression).
hawk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 16:42   #267  |  Link
Esc

I actually found something I don't quite like. That strange file name suggestion. Okay, I understand when it gives some default name based on vob name. I don't think anybody would ever want to really save their file as vts_01_02English.srt. But okay, I can always change that. No problem. But then the new name doesn't stick. I am splitting the newly ocr-ed subtitle in episodes, and I want them to be named "Magic User's Club OVA 01.srt", "Magic User's Club OVA 02.srt", "Magic User's Club OVA 03.srt" and "Magic User's Club OVA 04.srt". So if the name were sticking I'd have to change only one char. But I still can handle that. Then I am done with splitting and start fine-tuning the timing. I open each file in the small window at the bottom, shift the timing until I am comfortable with when the subtitles appear and save the file back. And it again gives me that vts-based name instead of the one I just opened it with. This is where I crack.
My suggestion is: let the name stick. Use the one from the last save/open action.
Esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 17:57   #268  |  Link
johner23

Maybe @hawk123 wanna do similar thing that I am trying to do:

---> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=103925

If I could change the palette colors from IFO files / BMP in some problematic OCR cases ( which ones Subrip could'n read them properly), perhaps after that editing could become "readable" these IFO/ BMP than original ones.

If it is possible, how to proceed and which program to use in this process?

Thanks.
johner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 20:23   #269  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@Esc: It'll be taken are of.

@hawk123: I'm not familiar enough with the bmp format, I'm afraid I might break some specs if I change stuff. Zuggy?

@johner123: A lot of the cases when SubRip fails to OCR can be taken care of by selecting just 1 or 2 colors instead of all 4. Sometimes there still are problems (such as incomplete characters showing up). The rule of thimb is: if an incomplete "piece" is part of a character that has already been recognized, press Enter in the OCR form to skip it and any other fragments like it.

Last edited by ai4spam; 12th December 2005 at 20:40.
Old 13th December 2005, 02:38   #270  |  Link
hawk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4spam
@hawk123: I'm not familiar enough with the bmp format, I'm afraid I might break some specs if I change stuff. Zuggy?
Do you meant that you have developed the program in such way that its color palette can't be changed when it save the ripped bitmap subtitles in sonic scenarist and spruce DVDMaetsro format?

@johner123: No, what I am trying to do is save a bitmap format subtitle, it's nothing to do with OCRed subtitle. So far, as my own experience, Subrip have done the OCR job pretty good with all my DVD subtitles. But, I would prefer to carry the OCR in SubResync included in Vobsub. It is simple and no color setting. However, it's a bit frustrated to key-in every single letter everytime someone want to OCR cause there is not saved chr matrix feature. Once the program is closed, all your hard works and time spent before are gone.
Old 13th December 2005, 15:25   #271  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

No, I did not develop that part. It would be "easy" enough to change, but the problem is... what if some other application expects them just the way they are? That means I'd break the specs.

And... it baffles me why you would prefer something that frustrates you.
Old 13th December 2005, 17:26   #272  |  Link
hawk123

TQ for your quick reply.

Perhaps I should tell you what I am going to achieve. Then, you might able to provide me a head.

Pls refer to this post.

The reason why I don't want OCR the subtitle is because it's a Chinese subtitles. It will take me a lots of time and energy just to OCR it. It is almost like I am redo the typing of all the text in the subtitle.

I am just finding an easier way to add a few lines to the current subtitle.

I just notice today the timecodes for the subtitles I got from Subrip are quite different from that I got from idx/sub file. ( I save a copy of son file from Subresync and Subrip respectively and compared them ). And I would say that the idx/sub has a closer timecode with the original DVD. Thus, it has some progressive lag when I play the new DVD after muxing the subrip created subtitle.

Pls advice.

TQ
Old 13th December 2005, 18:04   #273  |  Link
zuggy

You are right, vobsub gets the best timecode. Subrip forgot to take "some" very small delay into account ATM, and in addition to, SR does only process PGC1. I have to fix it, but no time...

Now, it's recommended to vobsub dvd first (if you need accuratest timing) and then ocr it using subrip.
zuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2005, 19:34   #274  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Well, you two sort it out, I'll stick to my hardsubbed videos and other things like filling the matrix and so on .
Old 30th December 2005, 00:18   #275  |  Link
gubi-gubi

Ok here's my problem (it's really stressing me out now lol!). I've downloaded 1.50 from lots of different sites so im sure it's not the file im using so here goes...

I do the normal ripping process untill it's finished and all my subs are in the black text box. I go to save as then the bit below the menu flips to ANSI options. They look fine (default and then other latin) so I go to hit the save box to the right then the menu flips back so I even go to click the save as disc button there but then it flips back to the ANSI menu and so on and so on. The save as dialogue doesn't come up like it did on other versions... What's going on?
gubi-gubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 05:34   #276  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

I have no idea what's wrong, I just tested it and it seems to work fine here.
Try this: open the subtitle window, then go to file-open and open some subtitle file. Try saving it and see if the same thing happens, and let me know.
Old 30th December 2005, 14:03   #277  |  Link
gubi-gubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4spam
I have no idea what's wrong, I just tested it and it seems to work fine here.
Try this: open the subtitle window, then go to file-open and open some subtitle file. Try saving it and see if the same thing happens, and let me know.
Ok I've got it working. I'm running it with compatability for Windows 95. It also shows more subs this way wereas if run normally the sub wouldn't show at all on manual input but here I can make out what they say. Any ideas why I can only get it to work this way? Is there some settings on my computer interfering with it?
gubi-gubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 21:16   #278  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Hmm, it may be due to the switch to Delphi 2005. I may switch back to Delphi 7 if more users report this.
As for seeing the subs properly... there are weird things going on with the bitmap pallette. I'm looking into fixing it.
Old 31st December 2005, 00:15   #279  |  Link
awx

Hi,
I just wanted to report a strange thing I found after using 1.50 b1. My final SRT file contained this line after running the correction feature on it, using the new whole word formatting option:
Quote:
- Blah blah blah?
- A</i> <i>blah blah blah.</i>
Notice that there is no opening <i>.

I went back and reran Subrip on the idx/sub files and the uncorrected text is:
Quote:
- Blah blah blah?
- <i>A blah blah blah.</i>
Then rerunning the correction produced the bugged output.

SubRip 1.50 b1 also seems to be staying the frontmost window and blocking my attempts to click on another window's non-title bar area (such as Notepad) after the process of saving the SRT file.

If you need more details about the problems that I am seeing, please ask and I will do my best to elaborate. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by awx; 31st December 2005 at 00:22.
awx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 03:07   #280  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Thaks for the bug report. It's fixed in the new version, to be uploaded shortly.