Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th February 2016, 01:52   #36581  |  Link
jmelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I don't do anything specific to support NVidia 3D Vision specific hardware. All I'm doing is using the OS 3D APIs to do 3D playback. Whether that works or doesn't work with NVidia 3D Vision hardware I can't say. If it doesn't work then there's not much I can do about it. I'm probably not going to add extra code for a proprietary NVidia solution. You could ask NVidia about it. I think they should be able to make it work for NVidia 3D Vision hardware. After all I'm using the official OS 3D APIs.

This is a known bug in the NVidia drivers. You can work around it by either using D3D9 presentation, or by telling madVR to enable/disable OS 3D support, depending on whether you play 2D or 3D content. Unfortunately NVidia 3D drivers are pretty shaky atm, especially in Windows 10.
Thanks! was just testing performance on my pc before transitioning over to the HTPC which uses standard 3D to the TV.

The D3D9 switch fixed the fullscreen crashing, thanks. The 3D switching was causing issues with the title bar of certain programs vanishing. Another Nvidia problem I would think.
jmelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 02:04   #36582  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by macycat View Post
I have heard that before, so I did a quick test with some 1080i content that I typically watch. With a custom application setting of ""Prefer maximum performance", my rendering time is ~6 ms. When I change the setting to "Adaptive", the rending time goes up to 13 ms. Something is impacting the rendering times. My typical settings include ordered diffusion, Direct3D 11, Exclusive mode, and display at 1080i (video card is doing the scaling).

My display is natively 2560x1440p60. I played around with letting madVR do the scaling. I did the same test and obtained ~13 ms rendering times with either"Prefer maximum performance" or "Adaptive" power mode settings.

The render times simply get lower when the clock is higher for the same task.
Sometimes the driver seems to decide differently about choosing what clock state for the same task, but this shouldn't really be "bugged behavior" as long as there are no frame drops.
However, I can't explain the weird behavior you described in the end. Maybe it's again unexpectable behavior, caused e.g. by DXVA deinterlacing?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 02:22   #36583  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Since v0.90.11 playback results in a black screen for me.
Looks to be the exact same issue I reported. He'll have it fixed in the next build.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 03:29   #36584  |  Link
jmelan

Well I sort of figured out what the problem with Nvidia 3d vision was:

I normally keep the monitor (asus pg278q) at 120hz

At 120Hz, 3d playback is enabled but I still see double with the glasses
At 60Hz, playback works. Is there a way to automatically switch to 60Hz when a 3D file is played?

...nevermind, the above only works occassionally

Switching to any resolution with the windows display properties option while the video is playing makes 3d work in windowed mode but causes intermittent crashing of MPC-HC when changing to fullscreen. Using the nvidia control panel to change anything seems less reliable. Seems more Nvidia bugs.

After some more testing, this only worked for few tries then stopped as well. After turning off stereoscopic 3d in the windows display properties and back on it started working again. no idea why the behavior is so inconsistent.

But the key to get it working was changing to a different 3D resolution or frequency while the video was already playing. After stopping the video and closing MPC-HC, and reopening the video, 3D again does not work until changing the resolution or frequency. Changing the resolution with the windows 10 display properties seems like the most reliable method.

Last edited by jmelan; 29th February 2016 at 04:21.
jmelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 03:31   #36585  |  Link
Neeto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Tested. Don't see any difference at all. Present Queue drops the same with or without this option enabled when the seek bar is on screen in FSE mode. Also same stutter as before when seek bar is visible.

Didn't notice any sync problems.
Had a similar issue with queue draining very slowly and then not filling.
Had to clear both reclock database & change the vsync detection to the opposite I had set to get it stop it from happening.
Not sure if it's relevant - but just in case.
Old 29th February 2016, 07:35   #36586  |  Link
har3inger

I tried out the alternative glitch option on d3d11 playback (8 bit). My queues are now able to go above 2-3/3. (However, setting them to 16 will max them out at 14-15/15 for some reason).

I get presentation glitches "more", but only in situations that I'm supposed to have them, like when I empty the present queue on right clicking out of FSE, toggling full screen and FSE, seeking, etc. In normal playback, I don't get any extra presentation glitches.

I let a movie run for 5 minutes without pausing. No A/V desync that I could notice.

Thanks for the fix!
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 10:56   #36587  |  Link
Werewolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
When releasing v0.90.11 about a week ago I asked you guys for feedback about the following things:

1) Agressive downscaling anti-ringing filter: Is it working well for you, or do you see any problems?
2) New sharpening anti-ringing filter: Is it working well for you, or do you see any problems?
3) crispen edges: Do you prefer the linear light option to be enabled or disabled?
2) I really like it! I liked "sharpen edges" but there was a little bit of ringing sometimes that stopped me to always use it. Now it's very clean, I haven't seen any problems with it and I'm considering to use it with low values (and it's a big step for me because like I've said, I don't like sharpening filters).
3) Hard to tell... LL on is closer to the source (less bright with high sharpening values) but it generates artefacts around letters, I don't think it's ringing.
I will post screenshots ASAP but I still prefer LL off for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I don't like this look anymore either, but have you tried SuperRes against it? I think it works wonders, and unlike with super-xbr, haloing, ringing, aliasing and dark line boosting doesn't become an issue.
I tried various photographs and NNEDI3 + SuperRes always came closest to ground truth for me. And btw. even with a SR strength of 4, result was still much softer than ground truth.
So SuperRes can lessen the mosaic look that NNEDI3 produces on grass for example?
But SuperRes boosts the aliasing and ringing that NNEDI3 has hidden

Last edited by Werewolfy; 1st March 2016 at 10:22.
Werewolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 11:52   #36588  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeto View Post
Had a similar issue with queue draining very slowly and then not filling.
Had to clear both reclock database & change the vsync detection to the opposite I had set to get it stop it from happening.
Not sure if it's relevant - but just in case.
It's not really a problem unless you like watching movies with the seek bar on the bottom for some reason.

When it's hidden it's all fine.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 14:03   #36589  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
So SuperRes can lessen the mosaic look that NNEDI3 produces on grass for example?
Yep, SR makes it look more naturalistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
But SuperRes boosts the aliasing and ringing that NNEDI3 has hidden
Seems we have to live with that.
Old 29th February 2016, 15:16   #36590  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

^ Yeah, really not convinced by the SR+NNEDI3 combo except on very low res.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 16:05   #36591  |  Link
aufkrawall

I'd be really interested to see an example where it actually fails in comparison to other settings in your opinion.
Old 29th February 2016, 17:21   #36592  |  Link
XMonarchY

Just a personal embarrassment story about my bug solutions with madVR.

My previous clean Windows 10 Pro x64 10240 RTM install on freshly formatted SSD resulted in madVR-rendered videos acting weird with top part of the screen being out-of-sync with the rest of the screen and insane number of drops + presentation glitches when videos were paused and then resumed. That happened with 4-6 builds of madVR and nobody else was experiencing this issue. No madVR settings adjustment helped either.

However, in every other way the system was rock-stable. No spyware, only 3 tiny background programs, no issues in games, no unnecessary services, a lot of crap disabled, all the latest drivers (DDU used before each install) and firmware, all the latest LAV filters, MPC-HC, all checked & re-checked, fully updated, used DISM RestoreHealth and SFC Scannow. It was flawless and yet madVR was messing up... Then I upgraded to Windows 10 x64 Pro 1511-10586 build on top of the original 10240 RTM build. Nothing changed.

I assumed it was madVR, but it wasn't because a few months later I clean-installed Windows 10 x64 Pro onto freshly formatted SSD simply because I wanted a clean start, not because there was anything wrong with my previous install. To my surprise, after 1511-10586 install, all madVR issues were gone. To this day, I get no madVR issues. I don't know what the problem was before, but it is gone now.

I am not saying you need to format and re-install Windows, but if you get an issue nobody else gets or one that is very uncommon, it might help to fresh-format and re-install OS, but I can't promise it will help.
Old 29th February 2016, 22:32   #36593  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Hello!

For me, with Nvidia default drivers, GTX860M laptop, I cannot use Direct3D11 without getting a mpc-hc crash. Everything works fine if I do not try to use Direct3D11

I will post crash report.

madVR - crash report.txt
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 01:20   #36594  |  Link
Anima123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Hello!

For me, with Nvidia default drivers, GTX860M laptop, I cannot use Direct3D11 without getting a mpc-hc crash. Everything works fine if I do not try to use Direct3D11

I will post crash report.

Attachment 15301
It might be related to the crash reported I've submitted earlier, which madshi said it probably due to a bug in the driver.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 02:05   #36595  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
It might be related to the crash reported I've submitted earlier, which madshi said it probably due to a bug in the driver.
Yeah the 860s haven't has a good run recently with Nvidia it seems. Try some earlier drivers.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 05:08   #36596  |  Link
x7007

If I have TV Philips 7007 LED/LCD Display IPS Panel , Which nit setting should I choose ? How can I know or test or what should I look for for correct ? Brightness : 450 cd/m2

What about my laptop display LG Display LP173WF4-SPD1 which is AHIPS I think , it says Brightness 300 , should that mean I need to choose 300 nit ? http://www.panelook.com/LP173WF4-SPD...iew_24463.html

Last edited by x7007; 1st March 2016 at 05:13.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 06:17   #36597  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
If I have TV Philips 7007 LED/LCD Display IPS Panel , Which nit setting should I choose ? How can I know or test or what should I look for for correct ? Brightness : 450 cd/m2

What about my laptop display LG Display LP173WF4-SPD1 which is AHIPS I think , it says Brightness 300 , should that mean I need to choose 300 nit ? http://www.panelook.com/LP173WF4-SPD...iew_24463.html
you need a colorimeter to get such an info.

this info just means it could reach 450/300 cm² with maxed settings.

and this info is totally unreliable. over time displays will lose max brightness too.

not sure if i would even try to increase brightness on an IPS screen.

edit: set the HDR nits to that that looks best to you.

Last edited by huhn; 1st March 2016 at 07:30.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 06:41   #36598  |  Link
har3inger

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
I tried out the alternative glitch option on d3d11 playback (8 bit). My queues are now able to go above 2-3/3. (However, setting them to 16 will max them out at 14-15/15 for some reason).

I get presentation glitches "more", but only in situations that I'm supposed to have them, like when I empty the present queue on right clicking out of FSE, toggling full screen and FSE, seeking, etc. In normal playback, I don't get any extra presentation glitches.

I let a movie run for 5 minutes without pausing. No A/V desync that I could notice.

Thanks for the fix!
Disregard that, I'm experiencing a/v desync right from the beginning of the playback.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 11:33   #36599  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Yeah the 860s haven't has a good run recently with Nvidia it seems. Try some earlier drivers.
I actually tried all drivers versions that would work with Windows 10. It seems that nothing so far would repair the situation, and I did send more than a few reports to nvidia about driver problems.
Old 1st March 2016, 11:35   #36600  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post

The laptop display has been confirmed to be around 300 nits by notebookcheck and laptopmedia.

I still do not understand exactly what hdr does, but as soon as I get my hands on some HDR sample videos, I will test it out.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling