Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 29th January 2012, 13:56   #8601  |  Link
thebigmunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspeh View Post
If you run LAV output side by side with MadVR it certainly looks alot different but that might be because we can't seem to work out between the 3 of us how to change Colour,Contrast and Brightness of MadVR to closer match that of the LAV output.
Like someone somewhat explained before, LAV Filters and MadVR are two different things. One is a splitter and decoder package, while the other is a video renderer. You can't really compare them side-by-side. What video renderer are you using where you're saying LAV Filters?
thebigmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 14:21   #8602  |  Link
Reino

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Hello nevcairiel,
I think it'd be a good idea to force RGB output for FRAPS video, if possible. This is required, the official FRAPS decoder does it too. Without it the video doesn't look right...

...I'm going to suggest this also for ffdshow.
You're not the first one: FFDShow feature request - Output colorspace as-is.
Old 29th January 2012, 14:40   #8603  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV will always try to output the color space of the video untouched, however, that is not always easy.

For some formats, like Fraps, its impossible to know what the "right" format is before we decoded the first frame.
However, before decoding it, we have to tell the renderer what we're sending, which if unknown is the default NV12 (because it covers like 90% of all important video).

Now, when the first frame was decoded, we know that its actually RGB, and we try to tell the renderer that we actually would like to send RGB.
Here is where the problems start. EVR does not allow changing its input format after the initial connection has been made, so its just not possible to switch from NV12 to RGB on-the-fly.
This problem does *not* exist with any other renderer. VMR is fine, Overlay Renderer is fine, Haali is fine, madVR is fine, just EVR (any variant) fails.

Thats why Fraps has this issue, and thats another reason why forcing RGB output for everything when using EVR is a good idea.
If people tell me that RGB Fraps is far more common then YUV420 Fraps, then i might add a special rule for Fraps to default to RGB instead of NV12, but this has to be done on a per-codec basis.
Old 29th January 2012, 15:19   #8604  |  Link
rica

@nevcairiel,

LavSplitter gives false information; it gives 48k/16 info while the original audio is 96k/24.

Here is a sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2jygu42sokq5c52

(Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Blu-Ray Audio.)
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 15:19   #8605  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
If people tell me that RGB Fraps is far more common then YUV420 Fraps, then i might add a special rule for Fraps to default to RGB instead of NV12, but this has to be done on a per-codec basis.
It's not IMO, but defaulting to RGB is a good idea with this codec regardless. Levels issues and other stuff.

BTW did you decide what to do when playing yuv444 content with AYUV output disabled, instead of converting to 420?
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 15:22   #8606  |  Link
Reino

Afaik is Fraps always RGB. At least I've never heard of YV12 Fraps files.

Excuse me if this sounds ignorant (I have no experience with coding splitters or decoders), but wouldn't it be much easier then for the splitter to detect the file's colourspace, so the decoder doesn't have to decode the first frame?

Of course this still doesn't explain why FFDShow's own FFV1(RGB) format and HFYU(RGB) are always converted to YV12, but this is also the wrong topic to discuss that.
Old 29th January 2012, 15:30   #8607  |  Link
aufkrawall

The official FRAPS Decoder always converts to RGB, both for YV12/RGB.
Otherwise everything is messed up due to PC range.

If possible there should be hardcoded that when the source's codec is FPS1, always RGB should be outputted.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 15:33   #8608  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRoNe View Post
Afaik is Fraps always RGB. At least I've never heard of YV12 Fraps files
Fraps has 6 versions

0: YUV 4:2:0
1: RGB
2: YUV 4:2:0
3: RGB
4: YUV 4:2:0
5: RGB

There are differences how the data is encoded, but thats the color spaces used.
The bad thing is, FPS1 is the FourCC for all variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRoNe View Post
Excuse me if this sounds ignorant (I have no experience with coding splitters or decoders), but wouldn't it be much easier then for the splitter to detect the file's colourspace, so the decoder doesn't have to decode the first frame?
Sure, the splitter knows the correct format (at least LAV Splitter does), but there is no "standard" way to communicate that to the decoder. I've been thinking about adding a LAV specific way to communicate this, so the problem can at least be controlled when using LAV Splitter + LAV Video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
BTW did you decide what to do when playing yuv444 content with AYUV output disabled, instead of converting to 420?
It should go to RGB right now, and not to 4:2:0, which is imho the most sensible solution.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 29th January 2012 at 15:38.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 15:34   #8609  |  Link
hissatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiii View Post
Hi,

I have tested on Terminator Salvation (on MediaPortal with LAV Splitter ofc).
I didn't have your issue, i have keep running 2 switching on m2ts (quite simple on that BD, one is @ 53 seconds and the second @ 1 minute 56 secs.)
Running on NVidia with CUDA.
I will try to do the same test with my Avatar seamless BD and on MPC-HC.
Thanks

*EDIT* : On Avatar, it's ok too (on MePo)
Well, thanks for checking. I'd really like being able to use a version of LAV Filters newer than .39 without have a black screen pop up every while. I guess no one else is experiencing this issue?
hissatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 15:41   #8610  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
@nevcairiel,

LavSplitter gives false information; it gives 48k/16 info while the original audio is 96k/24.

Here is a sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2jygu42sokq5c52

(Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Blu-Ray Audio.)
Thats DTS-HD, its normal for it to only show the DTS core information. Its not important, a DTS decoder does not need that information.
Its only a cosmetic issue, which however won't be fixed until ffmpeg gets DTS-HD support one day.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 29th January 2012 at 15:47.
Old 29th January 2012, 16:01   #8611  |  Link
rica

OK, thanks!
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 16:25   #8612  |  Link
msoltyspl

Two issues I noticed while remuxing things:

1) I noticed that LAV tends to "flatten" chapter editions in matroska - when there's more than 1 available, for example:

edition1
+chapt1
+chapt2
+chapt3
+chapt4

edition2
+chapt2x
+chapt3x

Now if say - chapt2x comes between edition1's chapters 2:3 and chapt3x between 3:4 - then when LAV splitter is active, it will present:

+chapt1
+chapt2
+chapt2x
+chapt3
+chapt3x
+chapt4

2) Another thing noticed - it looks like EditionFlagOrdered is generally ignored (the behavior is as if EditionFlagOrdered=0 - so no "playlist"-like behavior, though only haali does it, and not without certain quirks either).

I can imagine both things would be far away on a todo list, though at some point perhaps.
msoltyspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 17:24   #8613  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
Not correct depends on the Hardware (Driver), on SB its not the case (EVR Custom)
Not sure whar you mean...Will you still get HW deinterlacing when outputting RGB to EVR-CP on SB than ?
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 17:27   #8614  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
It should go to RGB right now, and not to 4:2:0, which is imho the most sensible solution.
Ugh, I fail. I wanted to say yuv422 if you disable all 422 formats. You said you were going to consider it, and since it's still prefering 420 over 444 or RGB, I'm asking again
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
Old 29th January 2012, 17:50   #8615  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
Not sure whar you mean...Will you still get HW deinterlacing when outputting RGB to EVR-CP on SB than ?
actually, i think the same thing may be happening on my amd e350.

I'm not sure what is happening tbh, im noticing the fps is doubled, so there must be at least a bob going on.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 19:15   #8616  |  Link
renq

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...67#post1554567
Old 29th January 2012, 19:18   #8617  |  Link
Pat357

Can anyone tell me the difference between P210/v210 ?
These are both 10bit and both 4:2:2....
How is the conversion done from one to the other ?
Is this a 100 lossless process ? (think it is, but want to be sure)

Similar for P410 / v410 ?
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 19:21   #8618  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Of course its a lossless process. v210 is just for some post-processing filters that don't understand P210. If there is a choice, always use P210, output of that is most likely faster.
v210 is a highly packed format, while P210 wastes a few bits to make it easier to work with.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 29th January 2012 at 19:25.
Old 29th January 2012, 19:31   #8619  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
Ugh, I fail. I wanted to say yuv422 if you disable all 422 formats. You said you were going to consider it, and since it's still prefering 420 over 444 or RGB, I'm asking again
Oh i forgot about that.
I still am not sure why anyone would turn that off, but okay.

I'll make it prefer 4:4:4 and then RGB, i suppose? Even though 4:4:4 YUV is so badly supported by renderers ... i wish EVR would just deny connection.
Old 29th January 2012, 19:39   #8620  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

444 then RGB is what I'd ideally do, but with the AYUV situation... vote for RGB over AYUV. Or RGB only, mind you.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter