Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 6th March 2008, 00:04   #641  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

When two cells are not contiguous, the player needs some time to go from the first cell to the next one. The seamless flag should be clear to allow this little pause in the playback. However, if the gap is short enough and the muxing appropriate, the seamless flag can be set. Hence the yellow color, meaning warning.

(BTW, the next version of PgcEdit will also highlight the seamless box in yellow in the opposite case : when there is no gaps between the cells, but the flag is not set. This is normal at the layer break position, but can be an error elsewhere.)
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 06:24   #642  |  Link
selyb

Request:
I would like it if CallSS could be converted to JumpSS when copying/pasting between domains and vice/versa

e.g. When I copy CallSS-VMGM-pgc from a title and paste to a menu, it is now an illegal command and highlights in red
then I change it to JumpSS-VMGM-pgc and I dont have to change the pgc number because it is already in the right place

I guess what I'm asking is for a check to be done to make sure the CallSS is set to resume cell 1 and if pasting to a menu then change it to JumpSS

Also, if pasting a JumpSS to a title domain then convert it to CallSS with resume cell 1

I suppose if this is really low priority, I could figure it out myself and post the code changes/additions

There should probably be an option to turn this on/off next to the Highlight Errors option

Request: Move options for Trace Mode and Preview to Options Menu instead of being under their respective menus

Request: change option text "Hide toolbars in Trace Mode?" to "Hide toolbars/statusbar in Trace Mode?"

Request: change behavior of option "Start in Trace Mode (when a DVD is opened at startup)" to start in trace mode when a DVD is opened

IIRC, I once ran into some bug where I lost some functionality or buttons or something like that when I opened PGCEdit and later opened the DVD and I had this option checked... It's hard to say now and I can't reproduce the bug...

Anyway, I think it would be more fitting if PGCEdit can be in trace mode without a DVD open or if it goes to trace mode when a DVD is opened instead of only checking when PGCEdit is opened
selyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 09:56   #643  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

You are reading r0lZ's mind selyb - the CallSS/JumpSS swap will be implemented in the next version.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 09:58   #644  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by selyb View Post
Request:
I would like it if CallSS could be converted to JumpSS when copying/pasting between domains and vice/versa
Funny, I just did it... yesterday!

However, I force the resume cell to 1 only when a JumpSS is converted to CallSS, but I don't change it when a CallSS is simply pasted.

IMO, there is no need for an option to turn this off, as, indeed, it doesn't make sense to use a Call when a Jump is needed, and vice versa.

Quote:
Request: Move options for Trace Mode and Preview to Options Menu instead of being under their respective menus
Hum, maybe. Not sure I'll do it. Currently, the option menu contains all global parameters, and the parameters of the functions that do not have their own menu or config dialog. I think it is easier to have the setup next to the function itself when it's possible.

Quote:
Request: change option text "Hide toolbars in Trace Mode?" to "Hide toolbars/statusbar in Trace Mode?"
OK.

Quote:
Request: change behavior of option "Start in Trace Mode (when a DVD is opened at startup)" to start in trace mode when a DVD is opened

IIRC, I once ran into some bug where I lost some functionality or buttons or something like that when I opened PGCEdit and later opened the DVD and I had this option checked... It's hard to say now and I can't reproduce the bug...

Anyway, I think it would be more fitting if PGCEdit can be in trace mode without a DVD open or if it goes to trace mode when a DVD is opened instead of only checking when PGCEdit is opened
Well, I will not do that. I have accepted to add this option to start in trace mode, but I should have refused. Due to its nature, trace mode is constantly monitoring some things, just like a real player, and that causes many conflicts with the other functions of PgcEdit. I have finally something that works, but it is very dangerous to modify it again. Sorry. Anyway, the trace mode requires a complete and valid DVD structure loaded in memory to work, so I cannot open it when there is no DVD loaded yet.

Last edited by r0lZ; 7th March 2008 at 10:01.
Old 8th March 2008, 15:05   #645  |  Link
roux

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
When two cells are not contiguous, the player needs some time to go from the first cell to the next one. The seamless flag should be clear to allow this little pause in the playback. However, if the gap is short enough and the muxing appropriate, the seamless flag can be set. Hence the yellow color, meaning warning.

(BTW, the next version of PgcEdit will also highlight the seamless box in yellow in the opposite case : when there is no gaps between the cells, but the flag is not set. This is normal at the layer break position, but can be an error elsewhere.)
Does that also mean those cells don't have the same VOBID? From what i've seen each time two cells are not contiguous they have different VOBID's. I always mark those cells as "10" in PgcEdit, seamless and STC discontinuity.

For example i'm processing American Gangster R2 and this disc has both the theatrical and unrated versions. The disc is constructed like most seamless branching titles;
VTS1 PGC1 = unrated version
VTS2 PGC2 = theatrical version

I've hid all cells from PGC2 with DvdReMake and exported the disc. Looking at PGC1 then with PgcEdit shows the following figure:

DRM marks all cells with different VOBID's as a "10". PgcEdit gives a warning about several cells, but it does not warn about cells with an ascending VOBID, e.g. cell 5 and 6.

My dvd player pauses for about half a second on the cells were PgcEdit warns about. So i was wondering if i'm (DRM output) correct at setting the cell flags like this or is the gap between cells just too big like you explained in your post?

Last edited by roux; 8th March 2008 at 15:08.
roux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 17:50   #646  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, difficult to be sure, as the muxing itself has to be seamless. But, since the original DVD uses seamless branching, I suppose the cells are seamless. So, IMO, you can safely set the seamless flag. Anyway, most players are OK with that flag set (including at the layer break position), even if the flag should be clear.

Not sure why your player pauses, but, to get rid of the cells of PGC 2, it is better to remove them completely, instead of replacing them with blank cells. This way, the remaining cells will be contiguous, the seamless flag can almost certainly be set, and the player should really play the cells seamlessly. However, that might be difficult to do if there are chapters containing only removed cells, as you will be forced to shift the chapter points.

BTW, PgcEdit sets the warning when there are gaps, not when the VOB ID changes. A change in VOB ID doesn't mean that the cells are not seamless.

The STC discontinuity flag must be set when the VOB ID changes, that's correct. So, IMO, using 10 (seamless + STC discontinuity) is a good choice, but the presence of the blanked cells ruins the advantage of the seamless joints.
Old 9th March 2008, 00:54   #647  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

I don't see how any of those cells can be seamless except 5-6. It is correct to have STC discont set on each of them, though.

Regards

Old 9th March 2008, 06:51   #648  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The gaps between the cells are so small that the jump could be seamless, but I think it is not because the replacing cells are not muxed seamlessly.
Old 18th March 2008, 03:26   #649  |  Link
AlienX69
Interstellar Traveler

Clear jump to void PGC's

Hello to ALL,

r0lZ,

When selecting "Clear jump to void PGC's", I get the following on the Bee Movie (R1):
#########################################
list index out of range
list index out of range
while executing
"lset cmds [expr [lindex $src 5]-1] {00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00}"
("pgcs" arm line 3)
invoked from within
"switch [lindex $src 0] {
"menus" {
set cmds [get_type_cmds [lindex $src 4] ::menus([lindex $src 1],[lindex $src 2],[lindex $src 3])]
..."
(procedure "::utils::clear_jumps_to_void_pgcs" line 43)
invoked from within
"::utils::clear_jumps_to_void_pgcs"
(menu invoke)
##########################################

I did make a successful backup, no worries, I just ignored.

Just thought I would post this, I will send you the orig and modified IFO's (didn't modify much on this one). If you don't need them just toss in the virtual garbage !!!

AX
AlienX69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 08:57   #650  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks! I'll have a look.
Old 24th March 2008, 01:01   #651  |  Link
selyb

Sorry that I didn't get back sooner, my account was locked for a bit when I tried to change my email to my new domain and the doom9 server or forum software doesn't like my domain name I guess :-/

Anyway, about the trace mode thing: It makes perfect sense not to change it the way that I requested, I understand that now

My problem is that I always keep PGCEdit in trace mode and sometimes it doesn't automatically go to it

The times I have observed this, if I'm not mistaken, are when I open PGCEdit and manually open a DVD and also when I use FixVTS from the tools menu
Even if PGCEdit is already in trace mode when I use FixVTS, it does not go back to trace mode when the DVD is reopened

I have another request that may be too much work for the end result: Is it possible to have a system where BOVs would not need to be scanned every time the dvd is opened?

Here is the idea I have anyway: Save BOV info and the size of the vob or of the menu video data in the same place PGC comments are saved
if file size or video data size has not changed since last open then no need to scan for buttons again

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolz
Funny, I just did it... yesterday!
It seems like I asked about this a couple years ago and that you couldn't do it at that time or couldn't get it to work but I am happy to see it being implemented now
Old 24th March 2008, 03:47   #652  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Here is the idea I have anyway: Save BOV info and the size of the vob or of the menu video data in the same place PGC comments are saved
if file size or video data size has not changed since last open then no need to scan for buttons again
After your initial scan, you can load the menubuttons.but from the backup folder (they contain all the BOV info). This assumes you have not tinkered with the structure.

Regards

Old 24th March 2008, 10:28   #653  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The option to go to trace mode automatically at startup does exactly that. It works at startup only. Sorry, but as explained above, it is too difficult to change that.

Saving the BOVs infos is a good idea, but IMO the test you suggest is not sufficient. For example, the V/CIDs might have been reordered by VB or Fix. But it should be possible to verify also the last modified time stamp of the files. However, as implementing this is potentially dangerous, I will not do that in the next official release (almost ready.) Remind me later if I forget!
Also, if you use blutach's trick, please note that all menu buttons and BOVs will be marked internally as modified, and PgcEdit will need to save them when you save the DVD. This might not be what you want, and can even be dangerous if there are multiple sets of buttons in some cells, as currently PgcEdit replace them by a single set. So, use that trick with caution.

About the CallSS <-> JumpSS conversion, I have modified it recently, as, unfortunately, it is not possible to convert a CallSS to the current VTSM, because when the command is pasted, I have no way to know what VTS is concerned, and I can't initialize the VTS parameter of the JumpSS command correctly. But, of course, the CallSS to the VMGM are converted, as well as all JumpSS commands.

Last edited by r0lZ; 24th March 2008 at 10:35.
Old 15th April 2008, 04:57   #654  |  Link
selyb

Request: please allow for file browser other than explorer.exe
maybe similar to the option for other web browser
Old 15th April 2008, 10:36   #655  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, I've added "Options -> Input/Output -> Select Explorer". By default, of course, it's still the Windows Explorer that is used.
Old 15th April 2008, 11:54   #656  |  Link
selyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
OK, I've added "Options -> Input/Output -> Select Explorer". By default, of course, it's still the Windows Explorer that is used.
Sweet
Old 16th April 2008, 22:26   #657  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

Rebuild Time Map window stays open

I've run into Rebuild Time Map windows that did not close by themselves. When I rebuild manually it is expected for me to use the Close button to finish the rebuild. The occurance I believe is undesired is when I Tools->FixVTS which starts off automatically doing the rebuild, then launches the FixVTS window. At this point I'd expect the Rebuild Time Map window to be gone but it's still there. It appears that if I click on the close button in the Rebuild window it closes with no side-effect.
If I do not close it manually, it stays after FixTVS is closed, through the Find BOV window's life (closed manually), even back to the main PgcEdit window's focus (seen in task bar).
Perhaps it can be killed before FixVTS is launched by PgcEdit?
david42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 22:44   #658  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

What do you mean by "rebuild time map window"? Rebuild time map doesn't open a window, except when the operation is finished to display the log, and only if some durations have been fixed. That window is not a blocking window, and should allow you to continue working. It is never closed automatically, as you have noticed.
Anyway, I can't close it automatically, as it is important to let the user analyze the log, and save it if he wish. If it annoys you, just save the DVD manually before launching FixVTS.
Old 20th October 2008, 12:36   #659  |  Link
selyb

you must have lost interest in this project
Old 20th October 2008, 12:39   #660  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Hardly - a new version is expected out shortly. It is at very advanced Beta stages. Not wise to assume.

Regards