Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 21st June 2005, 16:25   #61  |  Link
JoeBG
stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
And there I thought people were only using MeGUI for x264. I'm not getting much feedback on the whole zone thing actually, but it was a whole lot of work and quite nifty if you start using it.. I really want it to be properly tested before propagating it through everything else. Are you refering to auto-mode or video-only mode? The reason I'm asking is that job generation is completely independent in the two modes (well, almost.. I try to put everything used at least twice into separate methods but there's a lot of additional logic in auto mode).
It´s video only and I loaded my usual test Avisynthskript for a testclip.
Zones in x264 are ok, but I´m wondering why there are only zones in the second pass in xvid and lavc. I´m just wondering if this could be correct?

By the way: It makes no sense for me to use x264 when I have a target bitrate (1/3 DVD) of 1800 for a 90 minute Film

Joe
------------------------
freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose
Old 21st June 2005, 16:31   #62  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
but I´m wondering why there are only zones in the second pass in xvid and lavc. I´m just wondering if this could be correct?
That's a bug allright.

Phew, I really have my plate full today, haven't I? I'm really glad berrinam is around and has already solved many of the issues reported.
Old 21st June 2005, 19:52   #63  |  Link
Pasqui

@Doom9
I have the same problem as odyn1982: the progress window is not updated whereas the x264.exe process is displayed in the task manager.
using the following command:
H:\>"F:\Program Files\x264\x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 611 --stats "2pass.log"
--bframes 2 --subme 2 --weightb --analyse i4x4,p4x4,i8x8 --progress --no-psnr --
output NUL "H:\MATRIX_RELOADED_DISC_1\VIDEO_TS\Matrix2.avs" >output.txt

I get an empty output.txt !
But in the command window, I get the following info:

avis [info]: 640x272 @ 25.00 fps (198950 frames)
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities MMX MMXEXT SSE 3DNow!
encoded frames: 597/198950 (0.3%), 20.72 fps

Regards,

Pasqui.
Old 21st June 2005, 20:12   #64  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@pasqui: thank you.. so x264.exe acts as I expect it to. There are a few bugs in the x264 commandline generation that will cause the progress bar to fail. I hope to catch them all in the version I'm about to release.
Old 21st June 2005, 20:19   #65  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Instead of ">" (stout redirection), try "2>" (sterr redirection) - I did not check it, but it may be worth a try.
Old 21st June 2005, 20:29   #66  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@JoeBG: Please explain how you are encoding when you only get zones in the second pass. Below you'll find my log output for an automated 2 pass encoding session using the lavc codec:

Code:
Next job job9-1 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"mencoder.exe" "D:\DVDs\DVDVolume\VIDEO_TS\re-trailer.avs" -ovc lavc -o NUL: -passlogfile "2pass.log" -lavcopts vpass=1:vbitrate=800:turbo:vmax_b_frames=2:vqdiff=2:vrc_override=1,182,20/3214,3598,20
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job9-1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log for job job9-1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
job job9-1 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job9-2
Next job job9-2 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"mencoder.exe" "D:\DVDs\DVDVolume\VIDEO_TS\re-trailer.avs" -ovc lavc  -passlogfile "2pass.log" -lavcopts vpass=2:vbitrate=800:vmax_b_frames=2:vqdiff=2:vrc_override=1,182,20/3214,3598,20 -o "D:\DVDs\DVDVolume\VIDEO_TS\test.avi" -of avi -ffourcc MP4V 
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job9-2
As you can see, the zones are in both passes. I did this by loading an AviSynth script, set intro and credits in the preview window that popped up, selected the lavc codec, set output type to avi, pressed config to configure codec, set encoding mode to automated 2 pass, enabled turbo, pressed OK, pressed Queue, started encoding.
I just debugged xvid job creation (exactly same scenario) with the same results (obviously without intro). However, I found a bug in the commandline generation (you didn't post yours.. it's essential information to me)

@kurt: something is seriously wrong with your PC. MeGUI should never use 50% cpu time.. it uses hardly any CPU time on my box.

Quote:
Instead of ">" (stout redirection), try "2>" (sterr redirection) - I did not check it, but it may be worth a try.
Good thinking.. that'll tell me what comes out in stderr (which is what I'm reading in order to write the status updates)
Old 21st June 2005, 20:32   #67  |  Link
Pasqui

@LigH & Doom9
using this command line
"F:\Program Files\x264\x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 611 --stats "2pass.log" --bframes 2 --subme 2 --weightb --analyse i4x4,p4x4,i8x8 --progress --no-psnr --output NUL "H:\MATRIX_RELOADED_DISC_1\VIDEO_TS\Matrix2.avs" é> output.txt

I get nothing in the command window and the following is redirected to output.txt:
avis [info]: 640x272 @ 25.00 fps (198950 frames)
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities MMX MMXEXT SSE 3DNow!
encoded frames: 199/198950 (0.1%), 21.12 fps
encoded frames: 398/198950 (0.2%), 20.71 fps
Old 21st June 2005, 20:34   #68  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

to those that do not have a progress bar: does the status window disappear once encoding is done? if so I can put debug code into the log and you can post it here after encoding. doing that would require virtually no additional effort and hopefully help me trace the problems (if they're not caused by incorrect commandlines.. I found at least 3 bugs that cause this problem already)
Old 21st June 2005, 20:39   #69  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@scorpdt: does audio encoding work if you're not using auto-mode? obviously it's easier for me to just test that. Actually, never mind I tested it.. but it would've been useful to know just in case so I start looking at the right place. The less time I spend trying to reproduce the problem, the more I can spend to quickly resolve outstanding issues and add additional features
Old 21st June 2005, 20:47   #70  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

Quote:
to those that do not have a progress bar: does the status window disappear once encoding is done?
jep, it disappear when the job is finished ...

about my machine: will try to change the priority of MeGUI in windows and see if it helps...
Old 21st June 2005, 21:10   #71  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@scorpdt: actually, you're report isn't quite correct Audio encoding does in fact work. But using your source, BeSweet doesn't act like it normally does. Besweet writes progress reports to the commandline.

Normally such output looks like this:

[00:00:00:000] Initializing...
[00:00:00:000] -- Initializing...

[00:00:00:032] | Maximum Gain Found : 128.7dB
[00:00:00:064] | Maximum Gain Found : 122.1dB
transcoding ...
[00:00:00:640] transcoding ...
[00:00:00:672] transcoding

In order to compute the percentage, I use the last "Gain found" line as the audio length, then compare the value in a transcoding line with that value. Now here's a snippet of how audio encoding looks using your source file:

[00:00:00:000] Initializing...
[00:00:00:000] -- Initializing...

[00:00:00:072] | Maximum Gain Found : 0.0dB
[00:00:00:072] |

[00:00:00:040] Asserting negative delay..

[00:00:00:064] transcoding ...
[00:00:00:088] transcoding ...

As you can see, there is no gain finding for reasons beyond me. I tried without the delay but that seems to have no influence. I've also used the exact same settings for both files. And since we don't have an audio format mismatch (encoding a 2.0 source to 5.1 will give weird timestamps).. it's BeSweet's doing. I basically have to capitulate here.. only DSPGuru can tell why BeSweet reacts like that. But, in order to still allow you to encode, I have added a sanity check to my percentage finding algorithm.. if it gets a value that is too large (like in your case), I'll simply set it back to the maximum allowed value.. 100%. It'll look like it is done right away, but I'm afraid there's really not much more I can do.
Old 21st June 2005, 21:15   #72  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@everyone with the no progress problem: in the build I'm about to release I have added some code that will add every line I'm reading from x264.exe's stderr to the log. This means huge logs and I'm sorry for that. If you don't have the problem and everything else works fine, just flush the logs.. if you have the problem, pick the simplest scenario where it happens (direct mp4 output, no auto mode, default x264 settings (that means you do not load your default profile!!) and attach the log to a post here).

@kurt: I just checked the task manager when I'm encoding.. MeGUI uses 0% CPU, rarely 1 or 2%... basically x264.exe eats up all the cpu time which is how it should be. And that's with x264.exe running at low priority (MeGUI runs at normal priority by default).
Old 21st June 2005, 23:32   #73  |  Link
Maximus_G

Quote:
@Maximus_G: your description sounds like you're not doing things right. I don't know what you're doing.. you're refering to some ominous button that I do not know for starters, and the process of auto encoding works like that on my box: configure video, configure audio, press auto-encode...
OK, odyn1982 has posted the pictures - the same for me.

Are you going to fix the missing "--8x8dct" parameter?
Old 22nd June 2005, 01:53   #74  |  Link
Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
@Rash

didn't you notice the other MeGUI topic where I mentioned how to change the decoder, there are various other topics about this as well

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...hlight=avsedit
Thanks a lot Stax!

Alright! I'm sorry! I promise next time I will look for before asking in the topic. I just thought it was somehow related to my problem!

Now it worked! No problem at all. I even saw the progress bar (though I think MeGUI was reporting the encoding fps incorrectly, it was saying about 1400fps! oh, I wish! ). Thank you all very much for the support!

Last edited by Rash; 22nd June 2005 at 01:56.
Old 22nd June 2005, 02:41   #75  |  Link
scorpdt

Doom9, thanks for looking into the problem reported on the audio. Sorry for insufficient information provided on my part (actually I did test out audio only encode but somehow miss that out in my report)

I'll try out other audio files. Thanks.

Scorpio
Old 22nd June 2005, 09:15   #76  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

So, does anybody have any feedback on the progress bar using x264.exe? Does it still not work for you. If it doesn't, please attach the contents of the log here.

Quote:
though I think MeGUI was reporting the encoding fps incorrectly, it was saying about 1400fps! oh, I wish!
Have you used 0.1.9.8 for that? if so please attach the log. If not, please try again with 0.1.9.8 (or the 0.1.9.9 I'm about to post) and then attach the log if the problem still happens.
Old 22nd June 2005, 09:20   #77  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

alright.. the new release is out. Now more fiddling with the custom commandline, now you have matrices built-in even though the editor isn't quite ready yet. Enjoy.

The debug code for the missing x264.exe progress bar is still in there. Please post your logs if you are still not getting a progress bar when using x264.exe.
Old 22nd June 2005, 09:46   #78  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

new version isn't downloadable yet
Old 22nd June 2005, 10:01   #79  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Now it is. You're one of the people who had problems with the status bar, haven't you? How did 0.1.9.8 work out for you?
Old 22nd June 2005, 10:14   #80  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

yes, but with 0.1.9.8 the progress bar problem was still there...see at the attachement (logfile is a bit short, isn't it?!) ..

I'll try 0.1.9.9 later that day...
Attached Files
File Type: zip logfile-22.06.2005-00-51.zip (415 Bytes, 261 views)
Closed Thread