Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th January 2007, 17:54   #1  |  Link
Skunk
Me Like DVD

All-Encompassing Codec Solution

I have been capturing and converting video for awhile now. I have built quite a large collection of videos in a wide variety of formats. Recently I wiped my HD clean and did a fresh install of XP. Now I am having much trouble getting all of my files to play in WMP (they all played perfectly beforehand).
What codecs do you guys use? I want to use as few as possible and have all my files play in WMP11. I would prefer to stay away from a codec pack if possible.
I am noticing that when I install one codec, I am able to play more video files, but often some that played fine before no longer work. I am frustrated with this. Any thought are appreciated.

Dark Helmet : Spaceballs
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 18:10   #2  |  Link
_xxl
ffdshow user

You could try ffdshow.
_xxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 18:17   #3  |  Link
Skunk
Me Like DVD

FFDShow does most of what I need, but it also causes problems with a few files that play fine without it. The strange thing is that the files that work are the same codecs as the ones that don't in some cases. I could use FFDShow as a solid base, but i need to suplement it with something else.
I am looking for the best reslult for myself, but I welcome people to post the filters they use, just for informative purposes. Maybe people having problems in the future can learn from us

Dark Helmet : Spaceballs
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 18:53   #4  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

ffdshow with everything enabled, WMP11, xvid, haali's, quicktime & real alternative if you need those (I rarely touch the formats), a few misc splitters (like flvsplitter, AC3Filter, VSFilter, radlight ogg) if you want them, and coreavc if you own it. Huffyuv, Lagarith, maybe fraps & msu for lossless needs. Windows comes with Intel 5. That should play just about everything, and give you the option of creating most of them too.

You can also just install Nero and play everything in Showtime.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 22:36   #5  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

I'd recommend the CCCP. Read the (very large and badly organised) FAQ for more info: http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/ind...e_CCCP_play.3F
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 00:13   #6  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

I find it that it's best to configure Ffdshow to handle only formats which aren't already handled by existing individual codecs. So for example, disable MP3, MJPEG, DV, WMV decoding in ffdshow - as you've already got filters in place to do that.
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote