Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 20th September 2007, 16:33   #2001  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

@thuan
thanks. "keep aspect ratio" enabled in mpc did the trick.
Old 20th September 2007, 16:55   #2002  |  Link
sjchmura

As a general question....

The fork is working VERY well with VistaMCE and the "plugin" that allows FFDShow to work.

However, how long with this "fork" continue? Will we always have the fork is is the plan, at some point, to merge back to a single repository?

Thanks for all the incredible work. FFDShow keeps me from using a MAC
sjchmura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 18:42   #2003  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
However, how long with this "fork" continue? Will we always have the fork is is the plan, at some point, to merge back to a single repository?
Well, given that MPC proper is as good as dead and no-one that's still active has write access to it's SVN I doubt there's going to be a merger down the road...

Same goes for ffdshow...

np: Luke Vibert - Clikilik (Chicago, Detroit, Redruth)
Old 20th September 2007, 21:33   #2004  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
The use of the [0,255]->[0,255] is justified because they say it's a more smooth conversion from YUV to RGB which could cause less banding. For me, I think the best should be the compromise solution.
Perhaps so. But when doing a [0,255]->[0,255] the black portions are too black and the bright ones are too bright. Imo, that's more annoying than any banding.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 11:46   #2005  |  Link
Dark_Angel_PT

Just a small question\request:

When using the translation mode of ffdshow, wouldn't it be a lot more useful to keep the original language showing in these dialogs, so we can compare what we entered and the original.

I suggest the original string should always be kept above the text box, to help translating. Sometimes I forget what was there in the first place, i have to be changing the languages back and forth to check what i entered.

Last edited by Dark_Angel_PT; 21st September 2007 at 11:50.
Dark_Angel_PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 11:55   #2006  |  Link
FredThompson

I've had very poor performance with MPEG2 4:2:2 and libmpeg2 decoder in the past few builds of ffdshow. If I open a file with MPC then move the position slider, the returned video is not playing. The position indicator will continue to move but the displayed video does not change, almost as if ffdshow's libmpeg2 decoder is returning blank frames. FWIW, the MPC and ffdshow configurations appear to be the same as in the past. Do other people have this problem with MPEG2 4:2:2 and ffdshow's libmpeg2 decoder?
Old 21st September 2007, 12:55   #2007  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredThompson View Post
Do other people have this problem with MPEG2 4:2:2 and ffdshow's libmpeg2 decoder?
Any idea where I could get hold of such an MPEG sample to test this? DVDs usually are 4:2:0 I think?
Old 21st September 2007, 16:41   #2008  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
I found the way.
* Enable "Uncompressed" and "Check for DTS in WAV" at the foot note of DTS.
* Raise the merit value.
Thanks, I'll try it !!!!
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 16:58   #2009  |  Link
Valeron

@haruhiko:
Thanks for ur reat job! A much faster subtitle rendering engine compare to vsfilter! Though some advanced effects r still limited.
I can play some low bitrate 1080p AVC encode with subtitle flawless with my old Barton now.
Valeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 18:42   #2010  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

how much cpu power does vsfilter take anyway on a c2d with 2.8ghz ?
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 19:16   #2011  |  Link
Valeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
how much cpu power does vsfilter take anyway on a c2d with 2.8ghz ?
depend on what subtitle u r going to render, what final resolution to overlay on, whether advanced effects or not. all these factors will affect the rendering power need.
Old 22nd September 2007, 20:10   #2012  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

hm its either an .srt or .ass subtitle on lets say 1080p resolution. using ffdshow with postprocessing for video decoding and ac3 filter for audio, haali splitter. for vsfilter picture size: original heigth, rest are standart settings I guess
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 02:15   #2013  |  Link
Valeron

c2d at 2.8GHz can handle 1080p AVC decoding even with libavcodec(the one in ffdshow) without too much problem if the bitrate don't go too high(2x~30Mbps maybe). libavcodec is single thread nowadays unless the AVC encode u r going to play is multi-splice coded.
the subtitle rendering thread will be dispatched to another core imo, so there's no problem unless u've already got shutter in the decoding process.

yes, NO advanced effect here. i'm just talking about plain text subtitle. i achieved my goal just with an Barton@2Ghz(with vsfilter i got 10%~20% higher CPU load and then met sub-async). the subtitle rendering process will never become painful for c2d imo.

Last edited by Valeron; 23rd September 2007 at 04:08.
Old 24th September 2007, 12:20   #2014  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Angel_PT View Post
Just a small question\request:

When using the translation mode of ffdshow, wouldn't it be a lot more useful to keep the original language showing in these dialogs, so we can compare what we entered and the original.

I suggest the original string should always be kept above the text box, to help translating. Sometimes I forget what was there in the first place, i have to be changing the languages back and forth to check what i entered.
Yes, maybe when we have time.
Old 25th September 2007, 10:20   #2015  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

hey guys, it seems Vobsub is completely broken in the latest builds (from september), is it a known issue?
By broken i mean it either crashes the player or displays nothing.
Later,

TSR
TheShadowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 13:17   #2016  |  Link
Boardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
hey guys, it seems Vobsub is completely broken in the latest builds (from september), is it a known issue?
By broken i mean it either crashes the player or displays nothing.
Later,

TSR
I had that too, but also with older builds. Whenever I encounter such vobsub files, I run them through vobsub 2.23 (get it from Doom9 download library) and then they load fine with ffdshow.
Boardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 15:42   #2017  |  Link
clsid

If it only crashes with specific files, then please upload a sample file.
Old 25th September 2007, 16:09   #2018  |  Link
SBeaver

A fresh x64 build would be nice now, I'd like to try the new half-ass multithreaded h264 decoder and see how it works.
SBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 17:55   #2019  |  Link
Shakey_Jake33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca View Post
Strange, since I use 32 bit ffdshow along with Zoom Player and Media Player Classic and my S/PDIF Passthrough works perfectly. I do need to check the "Maximize S/PDIF Compatibily" checkbox though. That's on Vista 64 with a Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBeaver View Post
Well ever since vista was released I've been reading about people like you who say everything is ok, maybe creative has some workaround in their drivers but it doesn't work for anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBeaver View Post
Just so we are clear on this, I hope all of you actually have a way to tell what signal is going to the reciever.
From all information I have gathered there should be no way to passthrough ac3/dts using 32bit filters in vista x64.
I apologise if I'm talking about something completely different here, or if this has already been cleared up, but I have an X-Fi XtremeMusic and ffdshow's SPDIF passthrough works perfect for me, although as the above poster states, 'Maximize S/PDIF Compatibility' does need to be enabled, otherwise the DTS sound is garbled.
Vista Home Premium 64-bit here.

I do also have an onboard HD Audio codec if anyone would like that tested.
Shakey_Jake33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 18:33   #2020  |  Link
SBeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
I apologise if I'm talking about something completely different here, or if this has already been cleared up, but I have an X-Fi XtremeMusic and ffdshow's SPDIF passthrough works perfect for me, although as the above poster states, 'Maximize S/PDIF Compatibility' does need to be enabled, otherwise the DTS sound is garbled.
Vista Home Premium 64-bit here.

I do also have an onboard HD Audio codec if anyone would like that tested.
Please do try it with the onboard audio, with 32bit version of ffdshow then of course.
I'm still very interested in understanding why creatives cards work and most others don't.
SBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl