Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 17th December 2005, 00:54   #121  |  Link
Gdragon

Hi,

I just came across this as it looks great program. BUT, there is a big problem with detecting-downloading-finding needed applications. I have all programs and filters required, but the program refuses to use them. I have mostly newer versions then required, and I don't understand why the program don't except them.

Can this be changed somehow? Why the program needs exactly specifig build, since there is no significant differences between close builds, for example with VirtualDubMod.

Millan
Old 17th December 2005, 01:07   #122  |  Link
Gdragon

I noticed one more thing concidering installed codecs. I already have XvID 1.1.0-beta2, but program still claims that I have some unknown version and I must download it. Some goes with almost evrything. I have DiVX 6.0.3 but it is also not recognized. Only thing that passess check is JAVA.

How to slove this!

Last edited by Gdragon; 17th December 2005 at 01:14.
Old 17th December 2005, 01:57   #123  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I have all programs and filters required, but the program refuses to use them. I have mostly newer versions then required, and I don't understand why the program don't except them.
StaxRip shows a message box telling that you are using a wrong version but that message box has also a check box Use always wrong version. If you check this it won't tell you again that you are using a wrong version. You can also disable the warning in the External Applications dialog btw. You should however use always the required versions. I use always the best versions, if not please tell me where I miss something and tomorrow it will be fixed.

Quote:
since there is no significant differences between close builds, for example with VirtualDubMod.
VDM had quite often breaking changes. You can disable the warning and use another version but when something don't work please don't send a bug report until you have verified exactly the same problem occurs with the required version.

Quote:
I noticed one more thing concidering installed codecs. I already have XvID 1.1.0-beta2, but program still claims that I have some unknown version and I must download it.
I'm checking last write date so somebody must have compiled this on another day so you have two options to solve this: download my version or disable the warning.

If I wouldn't check the versions 90% of all bug reports would be related to incompatible applications, that's my experience with DVX and that's why other apps like GK have software bundles and codec packs. I never liked the idea of bundles, packs etc. unless I'm looking for guarantied way to mess up my system.

I have mad verification code in StaxRip like has user more than one Decomb in the plugin dir (e.g. Decomb521.dll and Decomb.dll), does the source path has comma's (not supported by DGIndex), has the user moved his files (d2v files have hardcoded absolute path information) has the user both DGDecode and MPEG2Dec3.dll in the plugin dir, is the DGDecode.dll in the plugin dir the one that belongs to the used DGIndex version. All this things did break StaxRip until verifications were added. It might work for other apps because they might load plugins manually (LoadPlugin(...)) or they might use a special syntax to reference a function (DGDecode_Mpeg2Source(...)) but it did break StaxRip. There are hundreds of lines of code dealing with this things. I get many bug reports a day per email and quite often the fix is adding more verifications. Lately I started to offer to fix a problem instead of just giving a warning because some users don't know what to do with a warning and send a bug report instead of fixing the problem as hinted in the warning.

Last edited by stax76; 17th December 2005 at 02:32.
Old 18th December 2005, 03:22   #124  |  Link
ricardo.santos

feature request

Hi everyone!

Stax would it be possible to add an option to shutdown the pc when conversion finishs?

I always set up the pc do do the conversions during the night (like so many others) and such a function would be usefull

Thanks
Old 18th December 2005, 03:50   #125  |  Link
stax76

It's there already , it's at the bottom of the window that is visible while encoding: When finished do: shutdown or standby or...
Old 18th December 2005, 09:19   #126  |  Link
horny_german

First of all a big thanx to stx for this really useful and nice working prog.
It helped me a lot and i was able to backup with such high quality. Very nice is the automatic download of missing programs wich are requiered to run StaxRip.
But at least I have one little problem.
I encode the audiopart with the default settings AAC-HE 80. The result is an playable mp4 audiofile. However after the videoencoding is done and StaxRip puts video and audio into the MP4 container you can't hear anything of the sound.
Is there any hint ?
Old 18th December 2005, 12:33   #127  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I encode the audiopart with the default settings AAC-HE 80. The result is an playable mp4 audiofile. However after the videoencoding is done and StaxRip puts video and audio into the MP4 container you can't hear anything of the sound.
Is there any hint ?
Maybe you have no DirectShow filter that can decode the audio file. I don't know what is the best filter, maybe ffdshow but I can't tell you where to grab the best build. There is also a player that don't rely on any DirectShow filter but has everything built in, it's called VLC (VideoLan Client).
Old 18th December 2005, 12:35   #128  |  Link
JoeBG
stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by horny_german
First of all a big thanx to stx for this really useful and nice working prog.
It helped me a lot and i was able to backup with such high quality. Very nice is the automatic download of missing programs wich are requiered to run StaxRip.
But at least I have one little problem.
Is there any hint ?
Thatīs hard to believe You can hear the single audio.mp4 => so you have all splitters and decoders. 2 ideas:
- try vlc as player. vlc will also show if there is a audiostream in the mp4
- open mp4 with yamb. yamb will analyse the mp4 will show you if there is an audiostream in the file.

Joe
------------------------
freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose
Old 18th December 2005, 18:16   #129  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Can we not get a separate forum in the Doom9 space devoted to StaxRip?
Great program, BTW. I like the flexability with external apps, but there seem to be too many "secrets" in the GUI, like options are so spread out it's a bit difficult to know where to change a setting.

Any chance of putting an update feature directly into StaxRip, where you can check for a new version and download and apply it automatically?

thanks again,

Chip
Old 18th December 2005, 18:31   #130  |  Link
horny_german

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBG
Thatīs hard to believe You can hear the single audio.mp4 => so you have all splitters and decoders. 2 ideas:
- try vlc as player. vlc will also show if there is a audiostream in the mp4
- open mp4 with yamb. yamb will analyse the mp4 will show you if there is an audiostream in the file.

... but true .... the single audiofile encoded as MP4 is fine as long as staxRip or i manually (withYAMB ) mux it into a mp4 container.
However if i encode manually the file with BeLight wich results in a single .aac file and mux afterwards the raw videostream and the aac file into a mp4 container everthing is fine.
The problem can't be the extension mp4 of the audiofile, can it ?
I use the latest vlc already...

Thanks
hg

Last edited by horny_german; 18th December 2005 at 18:41.
Old 18th December 2005, 18:35   #131  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Quote:
but there seem to be too many "secrets" in the GUI, like options are so spread out it's a bit difficult to know where to change a setting.
at the moment im trying to figure out how to change the audio encoding from 160cbr to 128cbr?

can any of you guys give me a hand on how to do it?
Old 18th December 2005, 19:11   #132  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I like the flexability with external apps, but there seem to be too many "secrets" in the GUI, like options are so spread out it's a bit difficult to know where to change a setting.
Can you tell me anything particular? Maybe we can find a way to make it more accessible.

Quote:
Any chance of putting an update feature directly into StaxRip, where you can check for a new version and download and apply it automatically?
I hope I find soon time for this, might be a little bit tricky.

Quote:
at the moment im trying to figure out how to change the audio encoding from 160cbr to 128cbr?

can any of you guys give me a hand on how to do it?
In the main dialog there is a drop down button for each audio track, choose Edit there and edit the audio settings in the dialog that pops up. If you want to use this often you can create a audio profile as described in the help of the profile dialog. Furthermore you could customize the default project to have this settings available at startup.

Quote:
However if i encode manually the file with BeLight wich results in a single .aac
I hope I'm not doing something wrong with BeSweet/MP4Box. Maybe somebody can look in the log file and check if the command lines use the best possible settings.

Last edited by stax76; 18th December 2005 at 19:31.
Old 18th December 2005, 19:49   #133  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Quote:
In the main dialog there is a drop down button for each audio track, choose Edit there and edit the audio settings in the dialog that pops up. If you want to use this often you can create a audio profile as described in the help of the profile dialog. Furthermore you could customize the default project to have this settings available at startup
ive done that before but it still encodes as 160 instead of 128,

dio i have to change the value in the besweet command line as well?

edit: wow, converting to divx using the 6.1divx codec is faster than the previous divx version

Last edited by ricardo.santos; 18th December 2005 at 19:56.
Old 18th December 2005, 20:04   #134  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Hi Stax

Sorry for being a pain, i was trying to encode a 5 minute dvdclip from starwars,reveng of the sith for test purposes only,
i wanted my final otput to be divxmedia format with 1 audio mp3 track and 2 xsub tracks.

ive followed your instructions and my final output is a avi file, the mp3 bitrate is 160cbr instead of the 128 i selected

heres the log_:

---------- Versions ----------

StaxRip 0.9.1.5
Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
.NET Framework 2.0.50727.42
DirectX 4.09.00.0904

AutoCrop 1.1
AviSynth 2.5.6a
BeSweet 1.5b31
Decomb 5.2.2
DGIndex 1.4.5
DivX 6.0.3 Pro
FluxSmooth 1.1a
Java
ProjectX 0.90.1
VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1 build 2439
VirtualDub 1.5.11
XviD XviD 1.1.0 Beta 2
MP4Box 2005-11-08
x264 334
Deen 2005-07-05
UnDot 2003-01-18
AVITOWAV 3.5
DirectShowSource 2.5.6
MKVtoolnix 1.6.5
MediaInfo 0.7.0.3
DivXMux 6.1 build 24

---------- Macros ----------

application:AutoCrop C:\Programas\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\AutoCrop.dll
application:AviSynth C:\WINDOWS\system32\avisynth.dll
application:AVITOWAV C:\SelfRunPrograms\StaxRip\Applications\AVITOWAV\avi2wavcmd.exe
application:BeSweet C:\SelfRunPrograms\StaxRip\Applications\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe
applicationecomb C:\Programas\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Decomb.dll
applicationeen C:\Programas\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Deen.dll
applicationGIndex C:\SelfRunPrograms\StaxRip\Applications\DGIndex\DGIndex.exe
applicationirectShowSource C:\Programas\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DirectShowSource.dll
applicationivX C:\WINDOWS\system32\DivX.dll
applicationivXMux C:\SelfRunPrograms\StaxRip\Applications\Tools\DivXMux.exe
application:FluxSmooth C:\Programas\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\FluxSmooth.dll
application:Java C:\Programas\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\java.exe
application:MediaInfo C:\SelfRunPrograms\StaxRip\Applications\MediaInfo\MediaInfo.exe
application:MKVtoolnix
application:MP4Box
application:ProjectX C:\SelfRunPrograms\StaxRip\Applications\ProjectX\ProjectX.jar
application:UnDot C:\Programas\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\UnDot.dll
application:VirtualDub
application:VirtualDubMod C:\SelfRunPrograms\StaxRip\Applications\VirtualDubMod\VirtualDubMod.exe
application:x264
application:XviD C:\WINDOWS\system32\xvidvfw.dll
application_dir C:\SelfRunPrograms\StaxRip\
audio_bitrate 288
audio_file1 C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 en-English 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3
audio_file2
avisynth_plugin_dir C:\Programas\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\
compressibility 0
crop_bottom 76
crop_height 428
crop_left 54
crop_right 2
crop_top 72
crop_width 664
encoder_out_file C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.avi
pos_ms 0
programs_dir C:\Programas\
source_dir C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\
source_file C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.d2v
source_files_blank "C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.d2v"
source_files_comma "C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.d2v"
source_files_comma_no_quotes C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.d2v
source_frames 7493
source_height 576
source_name VTS_01_1
source_rate 25,00
source_seconds 300
source_width 720
system_dir C:\WINDOWS\system32\
target_dir C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\
target_file C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.avi
target_framerate 25,00
target_frames 7493
target_height 304
target_kilobyte 51200
target_megabyte 50
target_name VTS_01_1
target_seconds 300
target_width 688
version 0.9.1.5
video_bitrate 1260

---------- AviSynth Plugins ----------

AutoCrop.dll 17-06-2003 13:45
Decomb.dll 04-09-2005 13:20
Deen.dll 05-07-2005 22:42
DGDecode.dll 01-10-2005 7:31
DirectShowSource.dll 28-10-2005 16:44
FluxSmooth.dll 29-07-2004 16:07
TCPDeliver.dll 28-10-2005 16:44
UnDot.dll 18-01-2003 18:05

---------- AviSynth Script ----------

MPEG2Source("C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.d2v")
Crop(54,72,-2,-76)
BicubicResize(688,304,0,0.5)

---------- Audio Encoding ----------

Encoding Type: Command Line Audio Profile
Command Line: "C:\SelfRunPrograms\StaxRip\Applications\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 en-English 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3" -output "C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 en-English 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms_AudioOutput.mp3" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -hybridgain ) -lame( -p --alt-preset cbr 160 )

---------- Audio Encoding Statistics ----------

Start time: 18:46:13
End time: 18:47:12
Duration: 00:00:59
Speed: 126 fps
Size: 5,7 MB
Bitrate: 159,82 KBit/s
Video Bitrate: 1260 -> 1229

---------- First Pass Codec Parameters ----------

bitrate: 1234
chromame: 1
desired_size: 45187
display_status: 0
max_bframes: 1
mode: 1
stats: C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\Temporary Files\VTS_01_1.pass
use_bvop: 1
vhq_mode: 1

---------- First Pass Encoding ----------

VirtualDub.Open("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Windows XP\\Ambiente de trabalho\\star2\\VIDEO_TS\\VTS_01_1.avs","",0);
VirtualDub.video.SetMode(1);
VirtualDub.video.SetCompression(0x64697678,0,10000,0);
VirtualDub.SaveAVI("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Windows XP\\Ambiente de trabalho\\star2\\VIDEO_TS\\Temporary Files\\VTS_01_1_FirstPass.avi");

---------- First Pass Encoding Statistics ----------

Start time: 18:47:13
End time: 18:51:15
Duration: 00:04:01
Speed: 31 fps

---------- Multi Pass Codec Parameters ----------

bitrate: 1234
chromame: 1
desired_size: 45187
display_status: 0
max_bframes: 1
mode: 2
stats: C:\Documents and Settings\Windows XP\Ambiente de trabalho\star2\VIDEO_TS\Temporary Files\VTS_01_1.pass
use_bvop: 1
vhq_mode: 1

---------- Multi Pass Encoding ----------

VirtualDub.Open("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Windows XP\\Ambiente de trabalho\\star2\\VIDEO_TS\\VTS_01_1.avs","",0);
VirtualDub.video.SetMode(1);
VirtualDub.video.SetCompression(0x64697678,0,10000,0);
VirtualDub.stream[0].SetSource("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Windows XP\\Ambiente de trabalho\\star2\\VIDEO_TS\\VTS_01_1 en-English 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms_AudioOutput.mp3",0x00000202,0);
VirtualDub.stream[0].SetMode(0);
VirtualDub.SaveAVI("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Windows XP\\Ambiente de trabalho\\star2\\VIDEO_TS\\VTS_01_1.avi");

---------- Multi Pass Encoding Statistics ----------

Start time: 18:51:15
End time: 18:56:49
Duration: 00:05:34
Speed: 22 fps
Size: 49,8 MB
Old 18th December 2005, 20:24   #135  |  Link
stax76

@ricardo.santos

Yes, you have to change the command line, the audio settings are cli based, it's possible to create profiles for any cli application, not just BeSweet. Building a basic GUI for BeSweet or any other application would be trivial btw. since StaxRip is build with extensibility in mind, it's just I don't need it and it's not frequently requested.
Old 18th December 2005, 20:50   #136  |  Link
ricardo.santos

thanks for the answer.

and what about the Dmf creation im only getting avifiles instead of **.divx files with xsubs on it, like DivxConverter does
Old 18th December 2005, 21:09   #137  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
and what about the Dmf creation im only getting avifiles instead of **.divx files with xsubs on it, like DivxConverter does
Did you really load a corresponding muxer?
Old 18th December 2005, 22:23   #138  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

I'll have to come up with specific examples of complex GUI instances.

But for now, how do you add text subtitles, or the filter for AVISynth so it gets recognized? In general, I'm trying to figure out how to maximize this with AVISynth, but because I'm still learning AVISynth and what it can do, I'm a bit unclear on this.

Edit: Also what would be nice, if you wanted to include burn-in subtitles present in the DVD stream (vob subs, not text) you could tick a box if you wanted them. Then a demux step would be added in the processes to include those subs.

Last edited by chipzoller; 18th December 2005 at 22:36.
Old 18th December 2005, 23:07   #139  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
But for now, how do you add text subtitles
Generally dmf and mkv muxer have idx support (image based vobsub subtitles) and mp4 muxer has srt support (text based subrip subtitles), you can also use burnt in subtitles using a (AviSynth) filter.
Quote:
or the filter for AVISynth so it gets recognized?
Did you see the walkthrough in the help?

Quote:
Edit: Also what would be nice, if you wanted to include burn-in subtitles present in the DVD stream (vob subs, not text) you could tick a box if you wanted them. Then a demux step would be added in the processes to include those subs.
Edit: VSRip requires to know the pgc but how do I know what pgc was ripped?

Last edited by stax76; 18th December 2005 at 23:41.
Old 19th December 2005, 00:50   #140  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Russia, Moscow
At this moment i use Nero Recode to convert DVD->mp4 (Ateme H.264 + Nero HE-AAC). I use "Maximum Definition AVC" profile wich gives me very good video quality (2 pass), and audio is HE-AAC 192 Kbps (usually 5.1) by default. There's also support for chapters. Up to 2 subtitles, up to 2 audio streams. And it is fully automatic (GUI is good too!), i.e. click-click-click and go! All is fine (even now), BUT!
1) Recode conflicts with ANY DirectX-based application (i.e. games ) and goes crazy. I must keep it inside another windows session, if i want to use my comp while Recode works.
2) Sometimes 2 audio and (more often) 2 subtitles is just not enougth...
3) On "Maximum Definition AVC" encoding is SLOW (on P4 3200 - only 1-2 fps!!!)
4) "Pause" button does not works (Recode still consumes my cpu in paused mode)
5) Anyway, Recode slows down all other processes (regardless what i set it "Low" process priority!)
Recently i learned, what x264 is, well, almost as good as Ateme H.264 (you should look at Second Annual AVC/H.264 Codec Comparison by MSU Graphics and Media Lab), and in some cases maybe even better! Then i searched for suitable application - and i found StaxRip
I took a look on it, and it seems pretty well for me. Still, i have some questions:
1) Will x264 + AAC + subs + chapters = mp4 work without any troubles? Any players/splitters incompatibilities?
2) I know, i should ask x264 developers, decause StaxRip is mainly DivX-related app, but i have really hard times configuring x264. I found no profiles for video, and i'm really not very informed in field of video encoding techniqes (all that features, modes, matrices, options etc). How about that? At least there IS profiles for audio...
3) Can i pause all the process at any moment (well, looks like whis is "question-to-x264-developers-not-for-stax" too ...) ? No application conflicts? Is there "idle" priority setting?
4) At this point i see support for only 2 audio streams. I think, i could mux some more to mp4 after transcode...But it's really not so easy for me to calculate result file size correctly (allright, i'm just lazy). Looks like number of subtitles is unlimited. I wish same for audio streams...
5) I think i found how to make audio profile for HE-AAC 5.1 192 kbps audio (-core( -input "%input%" -output "%output%" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -hybridgain ) -bsn( -6chnew -vbr_normal ) and 192 in proper edit field , if i remember correctly), but i'm really not sure about this. I am right?
6) Will StaxRip + x264 be faster than Recode + Ateme H.264? I do not really trust Ahead in field of optimization, speed and all that stuff. I think what lack of speed is because of Recode, not codec itself, and i hope StaxRip (and its component applications) will do better.
H-m-m-m. Allright, that is all. I hope, you will not kick me with legs for it
P.S. I just set up small video clip conversion with StaxRip. First pass gives me only 2-3 fps...Let's see results tomorrow...
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265