Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th March 2016, 01:14   #37221  |  Link
fedpul

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedpul View Post
I have made an album with some comparisons of chroma and doubling algos. By now I have uploaded just 4 images and they are based on a DVD release of the movie Howl's Moving Castle.

On a quick check NNEDI3 still has some lines a bit more focused/sharp. But super-xbr may have slightly less aliasing in some situations.
Hi madshi, that is true for Luma doubling, if you look closely to the hair it is quite easy to see the difference. But what do you think about the difference between these algorithms in Chroma Upscaling? Also I would like to know how I can go go to an exact frame in MPC-BE to make more comparisons. Thanks in advance.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 01:16   #37222  |  Link
Warner306

@madshi,

Would it be possible to start a thread where test images are available for download? By that, I mean the unaltered, original image. I am new to this but have discovered the following:
  • Not every image is a good test image;
  • Good test images are difficult to find on the Web;
  • Most images only show differences in parts of the image, not the entire image;
  • Some images show no difference at all;
  • Images must be the correction resolution and size to allow for adequate resizing.
If test images are indeed the best way to assist this enterprise, good test images should be available to everyone interested in testing.

Image hosting recommendations would also be beneficial to those looking for a place to host their images.

Last edited by Warner306; 28th March 2016 at 01:18.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 04:09   #37223  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Sorry, I don't seem to be able to post images.

Is it ok if I post link to dropbox files?
do as you please. there are tons of image hosts out there not sure what's the problem.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 14:10   #37224  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Maybe these are interpreted as menu commands? I tried with "Ctrl+Alt+1" as a test and that worked just fine for me.
You mean for getting the focus to the menubar menubar in some software, or such? Highly unlikely, the potplayer ui doesn't have a menubar and doesn't use alt. Also madvr hotkeys override the player's hotkeys if I remember correctly.
The diacritic thing just seem like a madVR flaw. It just doesn't allow me to use them. I prevents me from using nine keys, so it's pretty significant.

I don't see how "Ctrl+Alt+1" is relevant. That's neither "alt+[something]" nor does it include a character with a diacritic mark (like these: íöüóőúáűé)
I tried Ctrl+Alt+Q/W, which works here also. But not with only Alt as a modifier.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 15:53   #37225  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I think there's a small misunderstand: The option called "super-xbr, anti-bloating: 100" is *not* based on super-xbr 100. The anti-bloating filter was mainly written for sharpening, so it took some inventive tricks to make it work for super-xbr. Think of "super-xbr, anti-bloating xxx" as some special super-xbr configuration with different kinds of anti-bloating strength. Which means "super-xbr, anti-bloating: 100" has the highest anti-bloating strength, which makes it the softest of the anti-bloating super-xbr algorithms. If you find this one too soft, try the other anti-bloating variants. "super-xbr, anti-bloating: 25" should be the sharpest of the anti-bloating super-xbr algorithms.
i tried anti bloat 25-75 now and i can't find something that is useful for pure up scaling.

it kind of creates on effect of double lining where anti bloat 100 was so unsharp i didn't really notice this.

FHD->UHD with crisp edges 1.5 upscale refinment is already clearly highlighting this effect. and that for all anti bloat super xbr settings.

even super xbr anti bloat 25 isn't as sharp as super xbr 100 and every higher anti bloat setting isn't as sharp as spline 3.

so here is the main issue upscale refinement is needed with super xbr anti bloat which has issues with crisp edges.
Old 28th March 2016, 16:34   #37226  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I couldn't see the difference either.
it got kind of fixed with 364.72. the spikes are down to plus ~8 ms.

at least i can use may 3D LUT again.
Old 28th March 2016, 16:40   #37227  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it got kind of fixed with 364.72. the spikes are down to plus ~8 ms.

at least i can use may 3D LUT again.
Glad to hear it. I tried out the 36x line drivers with my old config, but I went back to the 355.98: it's faster and steadier.
Old 28th March 2016, 18:00   #37228  |  Link
Raimu

Using the latest 0.90.17 madVR I've encountered a glitch where if I keep resizing the MPC window so that the scaling changes just right, the brightness of the video becomes washed out. However, unchecking linear and sigmoidal light options in the down/upscaling menu removes the glitch.

Normal - http://i.imgur.com/4UpFebN.jpg
Glitching - http://i.imgur.com/UF7I9Cx.jpg

I'm watching an anamorphic DVD transfer. I couldn't quickly reproduce this glitch on 4:3 or similar content.

I tried on/offing the newest options, including "scale chroma separately, if..." but only turning LL/SL off makes this glitch go away.
Raimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 19:08   #37229  |  Link
krille

Don't know if this has been reported, but since version 0.90.16 there is a problem with dxva deinterlacing for me. The picture is extremely pale when deinterlacing is active.
I'm using Nvidia 960 with latest driver.

Last edited by krille; 28th March 2016 at 19:10.
krille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 19:33   #37230  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanUK View Post
I can't, most of my vids are shot in 1080p/60fps. If I even attempt x2 Supersamling I get horrendous frame drops, and I have a Palit 980ti Super Jetstream using just a 1080p monitor.

Same when I try to use Reconstruction for Chrome Upscaling. It takes my GPU usage right up to 100% and drops loads of frames to the point it bogs the PC down.
Must be different settings, I do not use Reconstruction. However, I do use NNEDI3 32n, which is supposedly more demanding. I have not tried 60p videos - only 23/24p ones for now. Thing is, 23/24p films play just fine even on my 120Hz monitor with Image Doubling set to Always.

Questions:
- Why does 1080p Image Doubling works fine without drops, delays, and glitches in Exclusive FullScreen mode, but not in Windowed mode? Does it have something to do with D3D11 running only in FullScreen mode..?
- Why do people say that Image Doubling (2x - always) makes the image look "different", not necessarily "better"? Its OBVIOUSLY better! All the details are finer and there is less ringing.

I also have another slightly off-topic inquiry:
- Only 4:4:4 mode can fully benefit from Chroma and Luma upscaling, doubling, and several other madVR image-improving settings, unlike 4:2:2 mode which cannot fully benefit from the same settings, although it does benefit from those settings partially. I have several displays - one running in 4:4:4 mode and another in 4:2:2 mode (let's not get into why). As far as I understand, SubSampling is highly related to how Chroma and Luma are used and displayed, which makes me wonder - would/does 4:2:2 mode benefit more from Chroma-related image improvement settings or Luma-related image improvement settings? I do see an obvious improvement from using Luma Image Doubling (set to Always) on my TV in 4:2:2 mode.

Last edited by XMonarchY; 28th March 2016 at 19:45.
Old 28th March 2016, 20:00   #37231  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Questions:
- Why does 1080p Image Doubling works fine without drops, delays, and glitches in Exclusive FullScreen mode, but not in Windowed mode? Does it have something to do with D3D11 running only in FullScreen mode..?
your GPU can't handle the extra downscaling?
Quote:
- Why do people say that Image Doubling (2x - always) makes the image look "different", not necessarily "better"? Its OBVIOUSLY better! All the details are finer and there is less ringing.
i only know one person that said this and that was me.

if you see a clear improvement why even argue?

Quote:
I also have another slightly off-topic inquiry:
- Only 4:4:4 mode can fully benefit from Chroma and Luma upscaling, doubling, and several other madVR image-improving settings, unlike 4:2:2 mode which cannot fully benefit from the same settings, although it does benefit from those settings partially. I have several displays - one running in 4:4:4 mode and another in 4:2:2 mode (let's not get into why). As far as I understand, SubSampling is highly related to how Chroma and Luma are used and displayed, which makes me wonder - would/does 4:2:2 mode benefit more from Chroma-related image improvement settings or Luma-related image improvement settings? I do see an obvious improvement from using Luma Image Doubling (set to Always) on my TV in 4:2:2 mode.
chroma subsampling has little to no effect on luma.
because chroma is not luma.
Old 28th March 2016, 20:16   #37232  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
It wasn't ever in the running AFAIC.

Set sharpness to whatever you want, all are good choices depending on how bright you like it. Enabling anti-ringing is a very good idea.
Personally I prefer values of around 100-150, 25 is nice if you like something close to Jinc but without the ringing issues and better performance too
I might end up settling on 125 now.

I'd would like to know for sure what would be closest to actual 4:4:4 content, maybe someone could test that, I suspect 125 or 150 would probably be the closest.
Based on the comparison, I'd say Super-XBR 100 has less errors when scaling chroma. Reconstruction soft has some weirdness going on with the pink color inside the bubble, like it scaled it wrong. Suber-XBR does have darker lines and edges, but that's actually good for chroma and helps separate the colors. Also has the benefit of making grain look sharper.

That's just what I observed from the image though.

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 28th March 2016 at 20:19.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 20:46   #37233  |  Link
markanini

I'm have some testing ahead of me but I hope for the new SR section AB an AR settings will help with ringing artifacts when used in combination with Enhance Details. It's disappointing to hear that they're reported as less useful for SR that other types of processing though.

Last edited by markanini; 28th March 2016 at 22:31.
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 20:55   #37234  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post
I'm have some testing ahead of me but I hope for the new SR section AB an AR settings will help with ringing artifacts when used in combination with Enhance Details. It's disappointing to hear that they're less useful for SR that other types of processing though.

Are you sure enhance details is the problem? I'm not sure it touches the outside of objects, which is where the ringing would occur.

See this comparison of SuperRes with anti-bloating: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...83#post1762283.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 21:36   #37235  |  Link
markanini

For hires photos SSIM downscaling w/ AR+AB100% seemed like the best compromise. I couldn't see any obvious differences between relaxed and strict AR. I vote for whatever uses the least GPU cycles.

Last edited by markanini; 28th March 2016 at 22:37.
Old 28th March 2016, 21:45   #37236  |  Link
markanini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Are you sure enhance details is the problem? I'm not sure it touches the outside of objects, which is where the ringing would occur.

See this comparison of SuperRes with anti-bloating: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...83#post1762283.
No I think image doubling algorithms are more likely the cause of the ringing. ATM I'm getting around the ringing issue by using the softest kernel, NEDI.
Old 28th March 2016, 22:41   #37237  |  Link
markanini

I think I can now retire NEDI+SR and replace it with "super-xbr, anti-bloating:75". It's almost as good as NEDI+SR at minimizing blocking and gibbs artefacts and will use much less GPU. Note: I always have enhance detail: 1.0 pre-resize.

Last edited by markanini; 28th March 2016 at 22:45.
Old 28th March 2016, 23:03   #37238  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Meaning?
Antibloat appears too strong in the new sxbr doubling options.

Quote:
Is this a new problem with v0.90.16? Or does this also occur with v0.90.15?
Nope, all is well with .15 whatever SD going dark in windowed mode or 720p going dark in FSE, it's actually downscaling antibloat that triggers it in combination with NNEDI3 luma-only doubling as I just found out.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 23:19   #37239  |  Link
Mistar Muffin

Quote:
I suppose you could setup a profile which has 3D disabled and one which has it enabled in the madVR settings, and assign a keyboard shortcut to them.
Thanks, that's what I'll do.

I'm trying to create a profile group under my display device and after creating the group I cannot enter text in certain text fields without focus jumping to a section in the tree above my profile group. The fields I have trouble with are the names for the profile/profile group and my profile selection rules. To elaborate, my profile group only has "display modes" in it. If I try to enter text in the fields I mentioned, the selection jumps above the profile group to "color & gamma". If I include calibration, color & gamma, and display modes in the PG, then the focus jumps up to "properties". I did the usual things like rebooting and upgrading to 0.90.17 to make sure this wasn't a bug that had been fixed. It doesn't happen when I make profile groups under scaling algorithms.

Thanks.
Old 29th March 2016, 03:08   #37240  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammerz View Post

If you looked you've probably noticed madVR doesn't have a deblocker (yet?) so you'll either need to preprocess with ffdshow, or make do.

How do I use ffdshow to improve clips from Youtube, I cant find this setting anywhere in madvr?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling