Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > Advanced authoring

Old 22nd March 2006, 13:28   #1  |  Link
Craz

Subtitle hell

Hi,

I've been trying to process a disc but it's driving me completely nuts. The disc has 10 subtitles on it which I all want to keep.

Scenario 1:
I follow the dif4u/scenaid/scenarist guide step by step, disc gets processed without any errors, only it's oversized (4.38GB) and nothing left to strip. I used safe-50 so can't go any lower here.

Scenario 2:
Since I can adjust the bitrates and the size to my needs in ReAuthorist, I follow the dif4u/reauthorist/scenarist guide step by step, but docce4u fails. DoCCE4U constantly stops it's job leaving the main cce window open. It's no use to press the "encode" button there, it will just stop again and again and again...

Scenario 3:
I go for dif4u/scenaid/scenarist again (again safe-50 setting), but in the batchccews window I double click every item and set the bitrates myself according to what I had using reauthorist. Now scenarist just hangs when upon importing the script (after 4 hours still no change, not even the usual cache dir).

I really, really start to hate those damn subtitles, they are the only thing that's bugging me when processing dvds. And they have bugged me for the past 3 months already. It really has to stop.

If someone could tell me please how I can process dvds with more than 5 subtitles without CCE or Scenarist being a bitch, you'll become my true hero for the rest of my days.

Last edited by Craz; 22nd March 2006 at 13:31.
Craz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2006, 15:17   #2  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

well.. scenarist will take a while to import a script with 10 subs.. but not 5 hours. why dont you try muxman.. .15 is free and should be able to handle your scenarist script. if you have scenaid vip then you can actually set scenaid to make a native .mxp script for muxman. otherwise use the .scp you already have.
Old 22nd March 2006, 15:39   #3  |  Link
Craz

I was told that the free muxman can only handle 4 subtitle streams ?
Old 22nd March 2006, 15:57   #4  |  Link
mpucoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craz
I was told that the free muxman can only handle 4 subtitle streams ?
Since MuxMan 0.14 all 8 audio and 32 subpictures streams are allowed via script.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2006, 16:01   #5  |  Link
Craz

Ok I'll try that version.

Does it matter if the encoding was done through reauthorist or scenaid?
Will both methods generate a scenarist file that can be used in muxman ?
Old 23rd March 2006, 09:26   #6  |  Link
Craz

mpucoder,

I've processed the disc again (using reauthorist, for some reason docce4u didn't stop each time now).
The generated .scp file is 72MB.

Now when I load the generated scenarist file in scenarist, it just hangs doing nothing at all, as usual.

So I tried muxman as you told, loaded the scp file, I had a bar at the bottom moving (seemed it loaded something), but now I'm staring at a freezing screen with the bar at 100% and still nothing is happening in my working folder ?
Old 23rd March 2006, 10:36   #7  |  Link
salkku

Eh, you might want to try pressing the start-button.

EDIT: check the muxman-logfile, if you are having problems
salkku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2006, 11:00   #8  |  Link
Craz

I can't press the start button since muxman is freezing (white parts over it), the log doesn't mention any errors.

I'll try it again in scenaid (which I like more) see if it makes any difference.
Old 23rd March 2006, 14:43   #9  |  Link
D3s7
ScenAid

75mg script will take awhile to process...

If I recall, after importing the script is slightly processed which could by why you see it hit 100% then appear to hang
D3s7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2006, 22:40   #10  |  Link
Craz

I just tried it with scenaid, loaded the scp file into muxman (v 0.15P) and It tells me I got errors.
When I look in the log file I can't really tell if there are. I've attached the muxman logfile here.

Can somebody tell me whats going wrong and how to solve it ?
Attached Files
File Type: txt muxman.log.txt (50.3 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by Craz; 23rd March 2006 at 22:46.
Craz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 00:06   #11  |  Link
jel

Craz,

the problem appears to be duplicate scene names in the muxman script.
see a similar post here:
muxman problem!
i have also received this error on a number of discs.
jel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 08:10   #12  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

yeah.. ive noticed that too.. i just go in and rename them.. i suppose that scenarist must automatically rename them or catagorize them or something
Old 24th March 2006, 08:37   #13  |  Link
Craz

How can I rename then Trahald, which file(s) do I need to edit ?

Also, are you saying that this is something scenarist should take care of automatically ?
I tried importing the script in scenarist, but when I load the scp file for import scenarist just seems to hang. I believe scenarist just hangs, because normally it should create a cache dir when importing the script and after an hour I still don't see that cache dir. Is that a normal thing when the scp file is 70mb or is this scp file just too big for scenarist ?
Old 25th March 2006, 18:34   #14  |  Link
Craz

Trahald or someone else ?
Old 27th March 2006, 11:08   #15  |  Link
salkku

I don't know how .scp-files are composed, but you can edit the .mxp files with plain wordpad. You could try opening the .scp-file in it and search for duplicate scenenames.

Little off-topic; Scenaid could calculate the size needed for subs by checking the size of scenaid\SUP, right?
salkku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 22:15   #16  |  Link
Craz

I skipped the disc for scenaid processing, I used DVDRB which didn't have any problem in processing it. Must be something dvdrb can and one of the big3 tools can't.
Old 27th March 2006, 23:02   #17  |  Link
bagge1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craz
Hi,

I've been trying to process a disc but it's driving me completely nuts. The disc has 10 subtitles on it which I all want to keep.

Scenario 1:
I follow the dif4u/scenaid/scenarist guide step by step, disc gets processed without any errors, only it's oversized (4.38GB) and nothing left to strip. I used safe-50 so can't go any lower here.

Scenario 2:
Since I can adjust the bitrates and the size to my needs in ReAuthorist, I follow the dif4u/reauthorist/scenarist guide step by step, but docce4u fails. DoCCE4U constantly stops it's job leaving the main cce window open. It's no use to press the "encode" button there, it will just stop again and again and again...

Scenario 3:
I go for dif4u/scenaid/scenarist again (again safe-50 setting), but in the batchccews window I double click every item and set the bitrates myself according to what I had using reauthorist. Now scenarist just hangs when upon importing the script (after 4 hours still no change, not even the usual cache dir).

I really, really start to hate those damn subtitles, they are the only thing that's bugging me when processing dvds. And they have bugged me for the past 3 months already. It really has to stop.

If someone could tell me please how I can process dvds with more than 5 subtitles without CCE or Scenarist being a bitch, you'll become my true hero for the rest of my days.

I'd go for Scenario 1 and manually lower the bitrate around 30-60. I have to do that all the time.
bagge1 is offline   Reply With Quote