Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 26th December 2002, 16:13   #61  |  Link
DJ Bobo
Encoding Dinosaur!

Well, if you show me a place where I can upload it, no problem
DJ Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2002, 06:25   #62  |  Link
natami
Novice

hello...im in a spot where im not sure what to do...the project i'm currently working on comes out in dvd2avi as 80% FILM...how would you recommend i go about deinterlacing and ivtc...is it just normal telecide/decimate with decomb (or ivtc...or is my best bet just trial and error...thanks

2602MHz p4
512mb 333mhz ddr
2X WD 120gb 7200rpm caviar
2X WD 40gb 7200rpm
cheap philips 12X burner, cheap LiteOn dvd rom
natami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2002, 06:50   #63  |  Link

You need to process that with Decomb and specifically using the new mode=3 for Decimate. This new mode will be released very soon. It will decimate film portions in the normal way while applying the equivalent of ConvertFPS() to the video portions. The resulting clip will have a frame rate of 4/5 the input rate, i.e., 23.976 for NTSC.

An alternate approach would be to use Decimate(mode=1) with the improvements to mode=1 support that will also be released.

Hybrid material is challenging and a good solution is still being evolved.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2002, 06:50   #64  |  Link
ArdenDag
Confused Poster

I'd definitely go the decomb route first (I should try IVTC2.2, but I'm just to lazy to get another IVTCer and test it and find it's best settings for each encode I do...)

If you're doing this in AVS 2.5, I'd get Don's new release and test some of the new stuff he's added... Might help tracking down the non-film sections better and keep the field mis-matching and combing to a minimum

EDIT: LOL, beaten by the man himself!

The Secret O' Life is enjoying the passage of time -- James Taylor

Live by it.
ArdenDag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2002, 06:53   #65  |  Link
ArdenDag
Confused Poster

@neuron

Question about flags left by DVD2AVI project files, and I know this has been asked before...

Does it keep flags as to where a film converges from FILM to NTSC (let's say this for now...) and back again, where it happens, etc etc... and can these be used by decomb? I know I read somewhere you responding to this, but I forget where...

EDIT: You also mentioned the 'new' mode=3... so will this be a god-send for us who are planning to rip/encode hybrid stuff like Star Trek DVDs? (Gonna happen for me eventually... )

Live by it.
Old 31st December 2002, 07:36   #66  |  Link

Quote:
Originally posted by ArdenDag
Question about flags left by DVD2AVI project files, and I know this has been asked before...

Does it keep flags as to where a film converges from FILM to NTSC (let's say this for now...) and back again, where it happens, etc etc... and can these be used by decomb? I know I read somewhere you responding to this, but I forget where...
It keeps the RFF and TFF flags of the MPEG syntax. If they accurately reflect the actual video content, they can certainly be used. The problem is that the flags are commonly abused such that they do not reflect the actual video content. Let me give an example. A 3:2 pulled-down video is captured from Svideo, so no MPEG. Then the captured video is MPEG encoded as straight interlaced video. Now we have a case where the flags tell us nothing but the video content itself is easily IVTC'able by Decomb (and others).

But certainly, where the flags are known to be reliable, they can be used. I am addressing ways to exploit them.

Quote:
You also mentioned the 'new' mode=3... so will this be a god-send for us who are planning to rip/encode hybrid stuff like Star Trek DVDs? (Gonna happen for me eventually... )
I can't promise you any trips to God, but mode=3 will give you a second way to process hybrid material. It seemed to me that when the clip is mostly film, it ought to use mode=3, so that the film portions go through nicely, since they are the majority of the clip. But when the clip is mostly nonfilm, you would want mode=1, to render the video portions nicely.

Because clips are usually mostly film (especially from rips), this new mode may well be helpful.
Old 31st December 2002, 07:41   #67  |  Link
natami
Novice

thanks for your quick and informative replies...is mode 3 available in the legacy version decomb?, or is it (will it be) a yv12 thing...thanks

2602MHz p4
512mb 333mhz ddr
2X WD 120gb 7200rpm caviar
2X WD 40gb 7200rpm
cheap philips 12X burner, cheap LiteOn dvd rom
natami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2002, 09:06   #68  |  Link

Quote:
Originally posted by natami
thanks for your quick and informative replies...is mode 3 available in the legacy version decomb?, or is it (will it be) a yv12 thing...thanks
It is not available in Legacy, nor will it be.

But Avisynth 2.5 is not restricted to YV12.

I encourage everyone to switch to Avisynth 2.5.
Old 31st December 2002, 09:07   #69  |  Link
ArdenDag
Confused Poster

I'll switch soon enough

Live by it.