Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 25th June 2009, 21:15   #1  |  Link
Dreamhacker

MKV to M2TS...

I recently bought a Playstation 3, and now I want to stream all my video content from my HDD to the TV through it.

But, as the PS3 does not support MKV, I need to put them into a format that is compatible with the PS3. With most of my HD files, I sorted this with tsMuxer, as they contained AVC and AC3 streams.

Problem is that now I need to convert MKVs that do not contain AC3 streams, but AAC streams.

What I did try was to demux the MKVs and mux the video and audio streams into the M2TS container. The result is that the audio is way out of sync. And I don't know why this happens.

Any suggestions to why this happens?
Dreamhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 21:19   #2  |  Link
rack04

Without knowing how you demuxed the mkv and muxed to m2ts there is no way to know why the audio is out of sync. Try tsMuxeR.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 21:28   #3  |  Link
Dreamhacker

I demuxed with MKVExtractGUI and muxed with tsMuxer. It should not matter how the demux was done, the streams would be not different in any case? Or?
Old 25th June 2009, 22:27   #4  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Have you set the fps of the video in tsMuxer correctly?

You may also want to try out mkv2vob. It can remux MKVs so that the PS3 can read them without having to reencode AVC or AC3 data.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 12:58   #5  |  Link
LUCHOO

try....demuxed with Eac3to and muxed with tsMuxer ....
LUCHOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2009, 00:15   #6  |  Link
Dreamhacker

I downloaded Eac3to, and tested this "Clown" program that was included. Funny enough, it sees the video stream of the MKVs as an audio stream.
Does that make sense in any way? It surely explains why tsMuxer talks about an unsupported stream when I run the files through it, though.

EDIT: Log says: "Bitstream parsing for track 1 failed. <WARNING>"
Old 27th June 2009, 01:34   #7  |  Link
setarip_old

@Dreamhacker

Hi!

If you do a simple Googlesearch for "PS3+AAC" (without the quotes), there are loads of postings that appear to indicate that PS3s will playback videos containing AAC audio. If so, no reason to convert...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2009, 09:52   #8  |  Link
Dreamhacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@Dreamhacker

Hi!

If you do a simple Googlesearch for "PS3+AAC" (without the quotes), there are loads of postings that appear to indicate that PS3s will playback videos containing AAC audio. If so, no reason to convert...
The problem is that the PS3 doesn't support the MKV container, while it does support the formats inside. Which is why I wanted to just remux the files. But after remux, the audio and video is not synced.

EDIT: If I change the FPS from 29.97 (which tsMuxer detects) to 23.97 or 24 FPS, the file becomes more synced, though not perfectly it looks like.

Last edited by Dreamhacker; 27th June 2009 at 11:07.
Old 27th June 2009, 13:19   #9  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamhacker View Post
EDIT: If I change the FPS from 29.97 (which tsMuxer detects) to 23.97 or 24 FPS, the file becomes more synced, though not perfectly it looks like.
Use "24000/1001" (=23.976...) to get the fps right. If it still is not in sync it may be a file with variable framerate (And thus setting a constant framerate will ruin the sync). Extract the timecodes with mkvtoolnix and upload them here.
Old 27th June 2009, 14:43   #10  |  Link
m3mbran3

As sneaker_ger says, just get mkv2vob. It will fix all your problems.
m3mbran3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2009, 15:35   #11  |  Link
Dreamhacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3mbran3 View Post
As sneaker_ger says, just get mkv2vob. It will fix all your problems.
mkv2vob does exactly the same as tsMuxer, just that it muxes into a vob container? How is that any different from what I'm already doing?
And it still doesn't explain why it won't sync the audio to the video correctly at any frame-rate. :S

EDIT: Added the information from mkvtoolnix. But there isn't enough upload space to upload timecode for all three tracks too. :S

Rapidshare link for the timecodes: http://rapidshare.com/files/249253886/TimeCode.rar
Attached Files
File Type: txt mkv_info_01.txt (7.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Dreamhacker; 27th June 2009 at 15:58.
Old 27th June 2009, 18:34   #12  |  Link
setarip_old

@Dreamhacker
Quote:
1) What is the video framerate of your original source material (presumably a BluRay disc), from which you made the MKV?

2) What software and procedures did you use to rip your original source material and convert it to MKV?
Old 27th June 2009, 19:15   #13  |  Link
Dreamhacker

Quote:
@Dreamhacker

1) What is the video framerate of your original source material (presumably a BluRay disc), from which you made the MKV?

2) What software and procedures did you use to rip your original source material and convert it to MKV?
1) 29.97 FPS, I think. It's retail R1 DVDs.

2) I cannot recall, a while ago now.

But, I tried to extract the AAC from the MKV, and for some reason MPC-HC lets me choose those extracted files as audio-source when I playback the original MKV. And it's totally out of sync, video moves faster than the audio.

So, is there something in the container that specifices how fast the sound should be played? If so, is it possible to transfer that something to the m2ts container?
Old 27th June 2009, 19:51   #14  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
It's retail R1 DVDs.
Since it's not BluRay/HiDef, then why don't you just take a few minutes to make a backup copy of your original DVD, so that it will have acceptable audio as well as video - and you'll have no problem with synch?
Old 27th June 2009, 21:13   #15  |  Link
Dreamhacker

Quote:
Since it's not BluRay/HiDef, then why don't you just take a few minutes to make a backup copy of your original DVD, so that it will have acceptable audio as well as video - and you'll have no problem with synch?
Well, the reason I convert it to x264 is because a DVD takes quite some space.

Though, it's a lot of hassle due to the interlacing on many of my DVDs, so might be better to just store them in the original format.

But is VOB an ideal container for storing it? Or should I remux it into something else? (Know nothing about the VOB-structure. )
Old 27th June 2009, 23:40   #16  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I had a look at the timecodes and it seems to be VFR content so you can't just remux the data. (Or does m2ts support VFR? - I don't know...)
Old 27th June 2009, 23:53   #17  |  Link
Dreamhacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I had a look at the timecodes and it seems to be VFR content so you can't just remux the data. (Or does m2ts support VFR? - I don't know...)
That surely makes it a lot harder to swap container, I'd assume. I might as well just re-rip the thing.
Old 28th June 2009, 00:10   #18  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
because a DVD takes quite some space.
And hard drive space has become ridiculously inexpensive lately ;>}
Old 28th June 2009, 10:29   #19  |  Link
Dreamhacker

Quote:
And hard drive space has become ridiculously inexpensive lately ;>}
That is very true, I guess.

Still, should I store it in the VOB container when I rip it without re-encoding?

EDIT: I tried to rip the VOBs, and put the contents into a .m2ts container... Problem is that my PS3 which I stream to, will not read the subtitles like this.

Is it possible to kinda do a direct re-encode from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, without trying to reduce it size and stuff, so you basically transforms a 1GB MPEG-2 video to a 1GB MPEG-4 video with same quality?

Last edited by Dreamhacker; 28th June 2009 at 20:10.