Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 25th August 2014, 23:06   #181  |  Link
zerowalker

How come other codecs does this and MagicYUV doesn't, if i may ask?
zerowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 10:08   #182  |  Link
zerowalker

A suggestion,

Not really a necessity but can't hurt, and i guess it should be fairly easy to add.

Support for: UVYU.

My card seem to have that option, though i use YUY2 as it's the "standard".
But just noticed MagicYUV wasn't listed and UT Video Codec and ffdshow were (those were the only ones).
Old 31st August 2014, 22:00   #183  |  Link
Ignus2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerowalker
How come other codecs does this and MagicYUV doesn't, if i may ask?
It would be a bit lengthy to explain exactly why this deadlock happens, but in short other codecs probably don't initialize threads when they are loaded (so not creating a problem at DLL unload), and MSI Afterburner only seems to incorrectly close (or not close) codecs when showing it's configuration dialog.

If you are really interested and want to be fascinated by the intricacies of DLLs and threads, here is an article to get you started (especially the "Best Practices for Synchronization" section):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

BTW, I already fixed/worked around the issue with MSI Afterburner, so expect a release soon (strictly bugfix only).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
A suggestion,

Not really a necessity but can't hurt, and i guess it should be fairly easy to add.

Support for: UVYU.

My card seem to have that option, though i use YUY2 as it's the "standard".
But just noticed MagicYUV wasn't listed and UT Video Codec and ffdshow were (those were the only ones).
I guess you wanted to write YVYU. Yes, that could be added, but that will only make it after 1.0, as I made a feature-freeze (should have done that with RC1...) so anything new will have to wait after 1.0 is out.

Greets,
I.
Old 31st August 2014, 23:56   #184  |  Link
Ignus2

@De-M-oN:
I noticed a whole lot of talking on letsplayforum.de about the codec. Thanks for the promotion

First of all, I see some very good feedback coming in, but also some things to reflect on:
  • Predict Left is not necessarily the fastest option (to the contrary of common knowledge) especially when we also consider decoding speed. I wrote about it here why is that so: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...69#post1668769
  • When compressing to YUV, the Full range YUV option should be turned off. Programs usually expect YUV to be limited range.
  • While encoding is also optimized to be fast, but decoding speed should show even bigger speed difference when compared to other codecs.
  • The decompression setting "Set Avisynth compatible" button only adjusts the checkboxes above it, nothing else. But by default, it is already set up that way, so there is no need to press it. What it basically does is to prevent conversion to YV24 from sub-sampled colorspaces.

That's some I thought about quickly. But feel free to report/ask if something doesn't work as expected.

Greets,
I.
Old 1st September 2014, 02:48   #185  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignus2 View Post
[*]Predict Left is not necessarily the fastest option (to the contrary of common knowledge) especially when we also consider decoding speed. I wrote about it here why is that so: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...69#post1668769
Oh boy, my verbosity has, once again, come back to haunt me (cringe)

Last edited by WorBry; 1st September 2014 at 02:53.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 08:28   #186  |  Link
Ignus2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorBry View Post
Oh boy, my verbosity has, once again, come back to haunt me (cringe)
LOL
Well I certainly didn't thought about it this way at all, so apologies!

Greets,
I.
Old 1st September 2014, 08:51   #187  |  Link
zerowalker

Quote:
It would be a bit lengthy to explain exactly why this deadlock happens, but in short other codecs probably don't initialize threads when they are loaded (so not creating a problem at DLL unload), and MSI Afterburner only seems to incorrectly close (or not close) codecs when showing it's configuration dialog.

If you are really interested and want to be fascinated by the intricacies of DLLs and threads, here is an article to get you started (especially the "Best Practices for Synchronization" section):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

BTW, I already fixed/worked around the issue with MSI Afterburner, so expect a release soon (strictly bugfix only).

I guess you wanted to write YVYU. Yes, that could be added, but that will only make it after 1.0, as I made a feature-freeze (should have done that with RC1...) so anything new will have to wait after 1.0 is out.

Greets,
I.
Ah, will see if i understand it to some degree. Get the concept at least, thanks

Indeed, damn i even checked and searched to be sure i didn't misspell before posting, not sure how i even succeed:S

And yeah no need for it right now. No need for more RCs ;P
Also not a critical thing, just something trivial that's hopefully can get supported for the heck of it, as it should be simple to implement, as all YUV versions are the same with different positions as far as i get it.

Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 14:02   #188  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
.....so apologies! .
Absolutely none needed.

Great work with codec , btw. I'm using it all the time now as an edit intermediate.
Old 2nd September 2014, 03:02   #189  |  Link
Ignus2

1.0rc5 is out: http://magicyuv.com/index.php/download
I REALLY hope it's the last RC before 1.0 final.

This release includes fixes and workarounds for MSI Afterburner, so it is intended only for the users of that app.
Notably, it fixes the deadlock bug, but also includes a compatibility modification for the codec configuration dialog box when the codec detects that it is called from Afterburner.
Basically it changes the OK button of the config dialog to "Save as default and Close" when running from Afterburner, as Afterburner doesn't store VFW codec settings at all, so the settings must be saved globally to the registry to take effect in this case (otherwise anything you set in the dialog would be lost).

No other changes have been made, and if no new bugs are reported, 1.0 final will be released in a week.

Greets,
I.
Old 5th September 2014, 16:56   #190  |  Link
zerowalker

Ah nice. Damn bad implementation from MSI Afterburner though.
Quote:
Afterburner doesn't store VFW codec settings at all, so the settings must be saved globally to the registry to take effect in this case
Active as always, good job
Old 12th September 2014, 03:03   #191  |  Link
Ignus2

1.0 final is out

It is basically a re-branded 1.0rc5, so apart from a version bump, no changes have been made.

A long time have passed since I released the first 0.9alpha, and it has been a long road to get here. Thanks for everyone who helped out with suggestions/comments/bug reports!

Now that the feature freeze is lifted, features can come again I already have some ideas, and there are already some convenience features done for the next release, so expect a new feature release soon!

Greets,
I.
Old 12th September 2014, 03:12   #192  |  Link
zerowalker

Grats for the 1.0 Release!

It's great to see you keeping up the good work, quite the enthusiasm you got.

Care to share any of your, ideas;P?

//Good Job!
Old 12th September 2014, 08:34   #193  |  Link
Gargamel

In time ...
Big thank you, Ignus2 !
Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 20:31   #194  |  Link
De-M-oN

Quote:
I noticed a whole lot of talking on letsplayforum.de about the codec. Thanks for the promotion
It has good performance at recording games, so it was worth mentioning it.

Quote:
Predict Left is not necessarily the fastest option (to the contrary of common knowledge) especially when we also consider decoding speed.
Ok interesting. It felt faster than dynamic while testing though (but just very minor) I use dynamic for the better compression.

Quote:
When compressing to YUV, the Full range YUV option should be turned off. Programs usually expect YUV to be limited range.
Was that mentioned somewhere to have it enabled? Should be not the case.

Quote:
While encoding is also optimized to be fast, but decoding speed should show even bigger speed difference when compared to other codecs.
Ok. But it uses not much cpu at encoding and is pretty fast as well. And thats good.
Encodingspeed while having as low cpu usage as possible is for us the more relevant thing we need for recording games.

Quote:
The decompression setting "Set Avisynth compatible" button only adjusts the checkboxes above it, nothing else.
I know.

Quote:
But by default, it is already set up that way, so there is no need to press it. What it basically does is to prevent conversion to YV24 from sub-sampled colorspaces.
For me all checkmarks were set. After pressing avisynth compatible the checkmarks at yuv 444 went away.

Thank you very much for fixing the Afterburner problem although it was more a fault by afterburner.

Thank you!
De-M-oN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 15:32   #195  |  Link
Ignus2

@zerowalker:
I'll try them out first then I'll tell about it ;-)

@De-M-On:
Thanks, you're welcome. If you encounter any other strange behaviour or bugs, just tell me.

Greets,
I.
Old 14th September 2014, 14:22   #196  |  Link
nekosama

avisynth input

I'm having quite a hard time getting magicyuv to encode using avisynth. Everytime I try to encode my script (using a magicyuv lossless avi as source using avisource) I get 240 blank frames, hell even just plain opening the file in a mediaplayer (mpc-hc) gives 240 blan frames, only opening the script in avspmod gives me correct results.

Maybe it has something to do with NULL frames like lagarith but I don't even know if magicyuv makes use of them.

btw it's not caused by some corrupted plugin of some sort, hell even just calling source and using removegrain (or any simple filter for that matter) ends up in 240 blank frames in a mediaplayer.
nekosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 14:25   #197  |  Link
zerowalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekosama View Post
I'm having quite a hard time getting magicyuv to encode using avisynth. Everytime I try to encode my script (using a magicyuv lossless avi as source using avisource) I get 240 blank frames, hell even just plain opening the file in a mediaplayer (mpc-hc) gives 240 blan frames, only opening the script in avspmod gives me correct results.

Maybe it has something to do with NULL frames like lagarith but I don't even know if magicyuv makes use of them.

btw it's not caused by some corrupted plugin of some sort, hell even just calling source and using removegrain (or any simple filter for that matter) ends up in 240 blank frames in a mediaplayer.

I have been using MagicYUV A lot with Avisynth with no problems at all. Even when null frames has been present (Which MagicYUV does Not support in itself, however it's a global feature in AVI).

Really weird issue. You sure it's not some x64/x86 thing?
Old 14th September 2014, 14:27   #198  |  Link
De-M-oN

My GZDoom edited pfenh mod uses some effects which are very cpu intensive and so my recording fps seldom goes below the wanted. In this case dummy frames are inserted as well then.

Never had a problem with it though.

Avisynth reads it fine, vdub 32bit does it, mpc-hc 32bit as well (EVR-CP Renderer)

So I think for me it works.
De-M-oN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 14:32   #199  |  Link
nekosama

nope, Tried both x86 and x64 x264 but no luck. Maybe it has something to do with the decoder? is there something that goes between avisynth and x264 (ignoring avs4x264mod because nothing changes whether or not I use this).
nekosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 14:34   #200  |  Link
zerowalker

I have used MagicYUV with x264 both directly and with avs2x264mod, no issues here.