Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 21st January 2007, 01:11   #81  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Bad move foxy, VC SP1's only really necessary if you do a lotta 64-bit programming, and it's a space hogger too. (Read Avery Lee's blog at virtualdub.org and you'll find out more.)
Old 21st January 2007, 01:24   #82  |  Link
clsid

I tried compiling lavc with ICL, but it gives errors in 'opt.c', 'imgconvert.c' and 'dv.c'. The same errors are present when compiling with plain MSVC2003.
Old 21st January 2007, 08:34   #83  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

I know, I should uninstall SP1 and reinstall ICL fresh, but I'm sort of fed up with it at the moment. Soon.

Odd thing I noticed: VMR9 mixer mode prevents queue now. I'm pretty sure it was working before, but none of the old builds I tested works, so maybe I'm just absent minded. Didn't update anything related to it as far as I know. I don't remember the benefit anyway, so I'll just leave it off.

Devil pointed out to me that ICL and ICC aren't the same engine. Silly me, I should have known, but Intel's documentation hints toward the opposite. Too bad, it'd be much easier that way.

Last edited by foxyshadis; 22nd January 2007 at 11:22.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 07:03   #84  |  Link
fatchick1o9

Good evening gentlemen.

I wanted to start by thanking you for carrying on the development of ffdshow. I came across ffdshow when I joined the AVS forums when I became interested in building a serious HTPC + home theatre. In time I came to realize that regardless of the hardware that was used, a few essential pieces of software were regularly used and highly praised.

ZoomPlayer
ffdshow
Mediaplayer Classic
etc...

Although I have gone through many pieces of hardware and software, ffdshow has always been the first thing I install on any
machine I setup. Be it my machines or friends PC's that are having problems playing audio or video files.

Thank you for all the work you do. ffdshow is always evolving thanks to the dedication of passionate people like the ones @ doom9 and abroad.

Now, when I watch DVDs, satellite tv, listening to my CD's or my mp3's I always know that I am getting the best possible sound & video quality thanks to a hand full of well written software applications, plugins & codecs.

I do have 1 feature request for ffdshow. This is not a major problem for me but I think it may go a long way towards making the use & configuration of ffdshow a little easier.

Would it be possible to make the audio & video configuration panel of ffdshow resizable I realize that codec performance and quality are of the greatest importance, but as a person that constantly uses the config panels I find it a pain sometimes to have to scroll up and down to select the various sections I want to configure.

I understand that I could just remove the filters from the left panel so that only the ones I need are visible. But this is not always the best option as I sometimes forget I have removed a filter or a Preset profile loads up depending on my application and I spend a lot of time trying to remember what I did that caused the filter to disappear.

If making the audio / video configuration panels resizable is too much effort to accomplish, then please forgive my ignorance as I am not well versed in writing code for applications.

Thanks you for you time and consideration. I appreciate all the hard work you guys put into making ffdshow the best application that it ca be.

Have a good day.

eric g.

P.S. Damn, I registered on the forum just to say that and I still had to wait 5 days just to make my 1st post.
fatchick1o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 12:50   #85  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Hello, fatchick1o9.
Interesting request, to make vertical size resizable is not an impossible thing. But it may not be easy to code (not too difficult though).
I would like to prioritize debuging and documentation over feature requests. I may reconsider when I have finished debuging and documentation, but please do not expect too much, because they are almost endless.
Old 22nd January 2007, 13:24   #86  |  Link
fatchick1o9

Thanks Mr. Yamagata. Your work on the Queueing and SMP is something I follow more closely than anything else.

I recently put together an AMD 64x2 with dual FX7600GT's specifically for using ffdshow's queuing.

I figured that the development team had other priorities but as the saying goes "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". Well I am just waiting to get lubed up.

eric g.

Last edited by fatchick1o9; 22nd January 2007 at 13:31.
fatchick1o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 13:45   #87  |  Link
fastplayer

If this was Java code, it'd be relatively easy to adjust vertical size: Just change the frame size and the layout manager does its magic - more or less. Dunno how it's handled in C++ though...
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 04:44   #88  |  Link
Jeremy Duncan
Didée Fan

May I ask if it's possible to update the deinterlacers in the deinterlace tab ?
Some of them don't work, and the one that does work, tomsmocomp, causes artifacts when used.

Specifically, I'm asking if Tomsmocomp deinterlacer can be updated, please.

Here's tbarries web page. You can look to see if you have the latest version of Tomsmocomp, please.
Link

Last edited by Jeremy Duncan; 23rd January 2007 at 04:47. Reason: added the link
Jeremy Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 10:36   #89  |  Link
the_corona

Hi guys,

I am very happy with FFDSHOW there is just one request for me regarding 4:3 material on my 16:9 screen.
http://www3.impacthosting.com/trbarry/HDTV.htm

So if I may be so bold and request this :-)

Again thanks a ton for your hard work.

Corona
the_corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 11:47   #90  |  Link
Syris2k4

I too have mused over the resizable config idea. For about 2 years infact... I even went and hacked together a small script to force the window to be resizable - however that was purely thru the window management... so it would randomly crash and burn... still - I think it would be a pretty neat thing to throw in

Keep going guys, ffdshow is looking great at the moment
Syris2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:15   #91  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_corona View Post
I am very happy with FFDSHOW there is just one request for me regarding 4:3 material on my 16:9 screen.

At the end of the day.... a 4:3 image should be displayed on a 16:9 screen like this: -

Displaying them any other way, by distorting their shape is "just plain wrong"....

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 23rd January 2007 at 20:37.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 14:57   #92  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Hi guys,

Again thanks a ton for your hard work.

Corona
Better done as an avisynth script as proof of concept before trying to integrate anything into ffdshow. So for now, give this a shot:
Code:
converttoyuy2().WarpedResize(m(2,width*1.15),height,.7,1).converttoyv12()

ratio=16.0/9.0
bordersize=int(height*ratio-width)
bordersize > 0 ? colorborders(bordersize) : last

function colorborders(clip c, int bordersize) {
	global border1 = int(bordersize / 4) * 2
	global border2 = bordersize - border1
	global colory = 0
	global clp = c
	temp = c.addborders(bordersize,0,0,0)
	scriptclip(temp,"""
		overlay(blankclip(last,color_yuv=colory),clp,x=border1)
	""")
	FrameEvaluate("colory = int(AverageLuma())*65536+int(AverageChromaU())*256+int(AverageChromaV())")
}
function m(int r, float x, string "type") { return x<16 ? 16 : int(round(x/float(r))*r) }
The warpresize parameters can be changed to taste. If you're sizing the whole thing up to fit the screen, you'll need to play with them. Ratio needs to be the desired output ratio. Also, it's pillarboxing only, didn't think about changing it to do both.

Further ambience effects are possible, but this functions as a proof of concept only. I don't especially care for the effect.
Old 23rd January 2007, 16:41   #93  |  Link
Jeremy Duncan
Didée Fan

Here's the newest Tomsmocomp Link

It was released to the public a few months ago.
Please use it and update the FFDshow Tomsmocomp.
Jeremy Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 16:42   #94  |  Link
the_corona

Well...plain wrong might be a bit strong. Sure it changes the image but so do many other filters in ffdshow. If it enhances peoples enjoyment why not add them?

The script sounds awesome, I'll give this a try when I get home. Thanks alot for putting it together.

Looking from how little code (well script) it seems to be in avisynth does it mean that it would be possible to introduce this into ffdshow? Does nobody want their 4:3 content being displayed as efficiently as possible (even if loosing a bit of original image) on their 16:9 screen?

Regarding the "black" frame average colorisation, perhaps this would be even better if each side would only take into account its respective, let's say 1/3, of the image? I'm sure this would need to by tried and depends alot on the user's subjective preferences probably. Some people might even find it highly distracting.

Edit: after trying the script I get an error: "There is no function WarpedResize". When I take out the line though the black borders get their averaged colores nicely!

Last edited by the_corona; 23rd January 2007 at 17:29.
the_corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 18:41   #95  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Here are 6 builds for filter performance comparison.

download

MSVC2003: mmx/sse/sse2
ICL9: mmx/sse/sse2
Has anyone tested this yet? I am curious if SSE/SSE2 further improves the performance of ICL builds. Some filter benchmarks:
http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/html/en/faq.htm
Old 23rd January 2007, 18:54   #96  |  Link
fastplayer

I'm not good at testing but I'd gladly integrate the results into the FAQ
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 22:53   #97  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Well...plain wrong might be a bit strong. Sure it changes the image but so do many other filters in ffdshow. If it enhances peoples enjoyment why not add them?

The script sounds awesome, I'll give this a try when I get home. Thanks alot for putting it together.

Looking from how little code (well script) it seems to be in avisynth does it mean that it would be possible to introduce this into ffdshow? Does nobody want their 4:3 content being displayed as efficiently as possible (even if loosing a bit of original image) on their 16:9 screen?
It's much harder to do something as a filter than as a script. (And harder to change once it's done.) The benefit is that it's often faster running. I'll ask around and see what others think, if it's popular I'll fine-tune it.

Quote:
Regarding the "black" frame average colorisation, perhaps this would be even better if each side would only take into account its respective, let's say 1/3, of the image? I'm sure this would need to by tried and depends alot on the user's subjective preferences probably. Some people might even find it highly distracting.
That's what I meant about further ambient effects. It'd take a few days to put together different versions and test them to see what actually looks decent. (My hunch was actually smearing some of the video into the borders, fading into average. But I have no idea how nice or ugly it'd look.)

Quote:
Edit: after trying the script I get an error: "There is no function WarpedResize". When I take out the line though the black borders get their averaged colores nicely!
Requires this plugin in <c:\program files\avisynth 2.5\plugins> or wherever your install is, for the warpedresize. It should look a little better than no resize or a linear resize.
Old 23rd January 2007, 23:57   #98  |  Link
wyrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Has anyone tested this yet? I am curious if SSE/SSE2 further improves the performance of ICL builds. Some filter benchmarks:
http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/html/en/faq.htm
my test result here.
used sample (58MB)
Thanks
wyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 00:17   #99  |  Link
F_L_C
Fun Lovin' Criminal

Which one of the developers makes ICL SSE builds? It is clearly superior when xsharpen is enabled and competitive w/ ICL9 when enabling denoise3D, at least according to wyrd's numbers.

Edit: Oh I get it. You have to download the package from clsid at mytempdir and then rename the ffdshow.ax version that you need. Finally, copy it into the ffdshow root folder overwriting the current ffdshow.ax file. I'll be using ICL9 SSE because I have an overclocked xp mobile CPU and I use all those filters.

Last edited by F_L_C; 24th January 2007 at 00:34.
F_L_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 00:37   #100  |  Link
clsid

If there are enough positive test results, then I probably will enable SSE by default for my ICL builds. SSE vs SSE2 doesn't seem to make much difference.

Denoise3d does not gain much from optimizations, while xsharpen gains a lot.

More tests with other filters are greatly appreciated.

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl