Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 9th September 2018, 02:53   #14701  |  Link
tebasuna51

And what is the fps of extracted video?:

[v02] Creating file "H:\Mux\Video_2.h264"...

Is 27.730p? Or 2: h264/AVC, 1080p 24 /1.001 (16:9)?

I think than the 27.730p is only a wrong info but the video is not changed.

Please use MediaInfo with the two 00008.m2ts and 00004.m2ts in Advanced Mode, to see durations in seconds, not only minutes.
Maybe the audio tracks are different.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 9th September 2018 at 03:07. Reason: Add info
Old 9th September 2018, 08:10   #14702  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

The 27.730p comes from trying to interpret the m2ts packet time stamps. *Usually* this matches the video fps, but sometimes not. You can safely ignore this information. It's probably eac3to misunderstanding the timestamps somehow, or the timestamps containing unusually high jitter or something...
Old 10th September 2018, 05:07   #14703  |  Link
Megalith

I've figured out why there's an incorrect audio delay. The problem is that the DTS track begins playing at the very beginning of the file (00008.m2ts, which is supposed to be a silent 11-second title card), even though it isn't supposed to start until the actual movie (00004.m2ts).

I'm not sure where the issue stems from, since the 00004.mpls file itself is fine. Could it actually be a problem with mkvmerge?
Old 10th September 2018, 10:08   #14704  |  Link
tebasuna51

When the first m2ts don't have the same audio streams, eac3to most the times crash.

If not you can forget the first 11-second credit and work only with the 00004.m2ts, or delay all streams not present in 00008.m2ts.

eac3to "H:\Mux\Audio_3_Undetermined.DTS" "H:\Mux\Audio_3_Delayed.DTS" +11100ms
Old 26th September 2018, 13:25   #14705  |  Link
Anakunda

Hello there, I'm having question to BR demuxing.
If the media contains two or more surround audio tracks being DTS-HD Master Audio and TrueHD, which one is expected the have lossless layer more fidelity?
And is eac3to always using the lossless layer when extracting to PCM/FLAC/WAV?
Last question, how do I view which codec is eac3to using to decode DTS(HD) and TrueHD, can I configure it?
Old 26th September 2018, 16:07   #14706  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakunda View Post
If the media contains two or more surround audio tracks being DTS-HD Master Audio and TrueHD, which one is expected the have lossless layer more fidelity?
As both are lossless audio formats, they have the capability of sounding exactly the same.
Old 6th October 2018, 04:45   #14707  |  Link
mrh335

Freeze at "Muxing video to Matroska"

I am using EAC3TO 3.34 with a GUI and using Staxrip 1.9 with version 3.34.

I am using a bluray ISO file which I have ripped and want to encode to a smaller MKV file.

If I use either software, I am able to choose the playlist I want to perform work on and then I select only the video portion, no audio and no subtitle (have tried both ways) and the process stops after a few seconds.

There is no log file generated. The size or playlist or bluray file do not matter.

This same process works on one 2015 Macbook Pro and one 2010 custom desktop, but not on newer 2017 Macbook Pro and 2017 iMac. All these computers are running Windows 10 natively via bootcamp.

If I change the output from MKV to h264, the process completes, but not vice versa.

Copy of status window is below and last line is the last status print out at 1% with no further progress even after hours.

Can anyone advise how to extract a bluray playlist to MKV given this issue? I have tried every version of EAC3TO over the last 1 year with the same results.

M2TS, 1 video track, 6 audio tracks, 10 subtitle tracks, 1:48:06, 24p /1.001
1: Chapters, 28 chapters
2: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
3: DTS Master Audio, English, 7.1 (strange setup) channels, 24 bits, 48kHz
(core: DTS-ES, 5.1 channels, 1509kbps, 48kHz)
4: AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 448kbps, 48kHz
5: AC3, Spanish, 5.1 channels, 448kbps, 48kHz
6: AC3, French, 5.1 channels, 448kbps, 48kHz
7: AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 224kbps, 48kHz
8: AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 224kbps, 48kHz
9: Subtitle (PGS), English
10: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
11: Subtitle (PGS), French
12: Subtitle (PGS), English
13: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
14: Subtitle (PGS), French
15: Subtitle (PGS), English
16: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
17: Subtitle (PGS), French
18: Subtitle (PGS), English
Creating file "C:\Users\markh\Desktop\New folder\dp_chapters.txt"...
v02 Extracting video track number 2...
v02 Muxing video to Matroska...
Old 6th October 2018, 09:59   #14708  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Why not use MKVToolnix GUI to do the job if there's no need to process audio but use it as it is? Eac3to is really not a muxing tool.
Old 7th October 2018, 04:22   #14709  |  Link
mrh335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Why not use MKVToolnix GUI to do the job if there's no need to process audio but use it as it is? Eac3to is really not a muxing tool.
I want to use Staxrip to compress using h265 and either convert the audio or transfer it over depending on what I want to use the smaller file to do.

The trial without the audio was to focus on the fact that I can't create a MKV regardless of the options I choose and it is linked to issues with EAC3TO whether being called through Staxrip or as a stand along program.
Old 7th October 2018, 07:31   #14710  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh335 View Post
Can anyone advise how to extract a bluray playlist to MKV...?
Usually with the eternal beta version of makeMKV. The purpose of eac3to is mainly to process audio only, not everything.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
Old 17th October 2018, 15:35   #14711  |  Link
justnobody

hi all
actually I have a question, "auto"-audio delay question, it's a bit complicated, I've uploaded samples for you guys
situation is source file already has delay in audio

example one
a video from iTunes having -42ms in audio (almost every iTunes video has delay in audio, audio format is AAC, iTunes loves AAC), 23.976fps

I cut a small piece out of it (mkvtoolnix), delay is now 5ms

and we demux this file with eac3to and put them (all tracks) together again with mkvtoolnix, delay is gone, 0ms now

since these delay are small, I can't heard difference between final 0ms or the 10ms or the original -42ms, seems all are fine

example two
this file freaks me out, video is 29.970 fps, a DVD and its encode, both are 29.970 fps, I will just leave the DVD alone, and I extract the audio track from VOB and mux it with the encode video (mkvtoolnix), result showing -100ms delay but it's in sync

I cut a piece out of this encode (sample showing 2ms delay), demux in eac3to, sometimes h.264 file becomes 25fps, if that happens I need to mark the video file with "*.h264 -29.970" (when I demux the whole film, framerate becomes 25fps in this case, but demux this sample it automatically makes the video 29.970)

and I put the demux video and audio together with mkvtoolnix, out of sync, the final result (the output from mkvtoolnix) is obviously more than 2ms.. even more than 100ms, totally not working if we demux-and-mux a file like this (of course the final file is showing 0ms now) (when the h.264 file becomes 25fps I also tried to label it as 29.970fps in mkvtoolnix during muxing, the result is also out of sync)

my question: with example one, should we demux and mux again to eliminate the delay, makes it 0ms? or just keep it there? exp one is a file from iTunes that coming with their own syncing audio since the start, in exp two, the audio is extracted from VOB and muxed with encode, once muxed (with mkvtoolnix) it's perfectly sync but showing -100ms delay

example two, when I demux-and-mux (both samples are in sync) the whole film, same thing happens, whole film out of sync, so when we come across a file like this (a DVDRip that has audio delay) we better leave it alone and not trying to demux it? That's my guess... Sorry for the long words

samples
http://www.mediafire.com/file/v550n7ugev3qug0

ps, if syncing is a big problem then in movie production how do they make it smooth?
Old 17th October 2018, 17:39   #14712  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnobody View Post
example one
a video from iTunes having -42ms in audio (almost every iTunes video has delay in audio, audio format is AAC, iTunes loves AAC), 23.976fps
Maybe it is a delay from video re-ordering (bframes)? 1000/(24000/1001) ~= 41.7ms ~= 42ms

Or could be because of AAC encoder delay (though I expect 44ms, then. ~42.66.. ms is length of 2 AAC frames) . The most common lossy audio formats have this.
https://developer.apple.com/library/...TFFAppenG.html

Now whether or not this is really stored correctly in your original file ... no idea. ~40ms is hard to tell confidently.

Quote:
I cut a small piece out of it (mkvtoolnix), delay is now 5ms
This is misleading because video and audio frames have different lengths and they won't 100% align at the cut point. Mkvmerge stores delay via container to make up for this.

Quote:
and we demux this file with eac3to and put them (all tracks) together again with mkvtoolnix, delay is gone, 0ms now
If you demux to "raw" (ADTS) AAC there is no way to store the delay infos that mkv or mp4 container can store. It is lost. You will introduce a slight delay (here: -5ms). MediaInfo doesn't know this. It is not an AI that analyzes e.g. speech to mouth movement of video but only looks at the delay values stored in the container (mkv/mp4).

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 18th October 2018 at 14:03.
Old 17th October 2018, 20:50   #14713  |  Link
arrgh

hi
in some UHD discs eac3to detects an "Dolby Vision Enhancement Layer" which it Shows as a separate track... it obviously can also be extracted...
is it really a separate track? if yes, can it be remuxed? if yes, how (e.g. in a *.mkv)?
thanks

Last edited by arrgh; 17th October 2018 at 21:48.
Old 18th October 2018, 06:16   #14714  |  Link
Dulus_No

Quote:
example one
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Maybe it is a delay from video re-ordering (2 bframes?)? 2 * 1000/(24000/1001) ~= 41.7ms = 42ms
Delay shows up because DRM removing tools (except Requiem) also drop edit/elst atoms from source m4v file. And after MKVToolNix fixed the issue #1889 mkv files with iTunes source have that delay.

Last edited by Dulus_No; 18th October 2018 at 06:23.
Old 18th October 2018, 09:16   #14715  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Assuming there's also aac encoder delay they almost (44ms - 42ms = 2ms) cancel each other out completely if the edit lists of both tracks are lost, right?
Old 18th October 2018, 09:32   #14716  |  Link
mkver

@arrgh: The only way to store Dolby Vision data in Matroska is if it is embedded in the video stream and is copied with the video stream into the Matroska file by the muxer. (I don't know how Dolby Vision is stored in the video stream if it is stored in the video stream so I don't know if the Dolby data looks like invalid/garbage data and is therefore likely filtered out by muxers.) Even if the data ends up in the file, no indication of this would be stored at the container level, there is no header element saying "This track contains Dolby Vision data". I don't think that this can be meaningfully extracted as a separate track (if it is shown as a separate track, then it is likely not stored in the video stream, so it has its own PID and one could "extract the track by using a PID filter).
@Justnobody:
1. Your samples are not very informative. You should have given us files before you remuxed them so that we can analyze its sync. (This wouldn't work with the iTunes file because if Dulus_No
2. That the "delay" value changes when you extract a part of a file is (as sneaker_ger already said) a result of audio and video frames having different durations. Here is an easy example: You have an AC-3 track (duration of a each audio frame: 32ms) and a PAL 25p video (duration of each frame 40ms). If both audio and video start at 0:00 (and don't have any gaps) and there is a keyframe at 1s and you cut everything before 1s away, then your new file will have a delay of 24ms: The first video frame that will be kept was at 1s and is now at 0:00, the first audio frame that will be kept was at 1024ms and is now at 24ms.
This effect also implies that if you want to upload remuxed files and not the original files for us to analyze, you should upload the beginning of the file, not something in the midle (checking with a subtitle for the movie this scene is at 28:26 (if the subtitles and your movie have the same fps)).
3. But one can nevertheless say something meaningful about your second sample. NTSC DVDs were designed to work with old analog 6/1.001 i TVs and so they had to output 60/1.001 i, but this doesn't mean that they had to use this format internally. One can store 24/1.001p material as progressive on a NTSC DVD by using repeat-field-flags. The typical way to do this is by using a 2:3 pulldown: One frame will be the basis for two fields and therefore shown 2/(60/1.001)s (about 33ms) long, the next frame will be the basis for three fields and therefore shown 3/(60/1.001) s long. Of course, the natural framerate for such material is 24/1.001fps and that's how modern equipment will play it.
Your second sample "beginning sample Ibitsu [720x480][H264][AAC] (1) (1).mkv" before extraction and remuxing is actually 24/1.001p although the default duration in the header says 30/1.001fps. Here is my guess to what happened: You remuxed this file and the remuxing tool just used the frame rate info the bitstream signalled (one should keep in mind that this is not wrong -- the "default duration" is not intended to be the reciprocal of the frame rate) and wrote 30/1.001fps into the Matroska header. But lateron you used a tool to reencode it to H.264 that is smart in the sense that it noticed that this is just a cfr movie that has been subjected to a 2:3 pulldown and that therefore created 24/1.001p output pictures, but unfortunately it still wrote 30/1.001 fps in the Matroska header and it gave the bitstream a timebase of 60/1.001 (but didn't set the fixed_frame_rate_flag). When mkvmerge remuxd the video elemetary stream, the only timing information the bitstream contained suggested 30/1.001fps and that is how mkvmerge remuxed it. The result is totally out of sync and there is no video for the last few seconds of audio. The asynchronity in this case has nothing to do ith an initial audio delay, instead it is a result of mismatched framerates and as such gets gradually worse.
4. Actually, the VOB/Program Stream demultiplexer and the MPEG-2 module of mkvmerge have some bugs, but the developer of mkvmerge considers MPEG-2 obsolete and doesn't want to spend time on this. One should not really use mkvmerge to remux DVDs, use MakeMKV instead (it can also parse the ifo files so that one gets the correct DVD color palette and the chapters).
Old 18th October 2018, 09:38   #14717  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkver View Post
@arrgh: The only way to store Dolby Vision data in Matroska is if it is embedded in the video stream and is copied with the video stream into the Matroska file by the muxer. (I don't know how Dolby Vision is stored in the video stream if it is stored in the video stream so I don't know if the Dolby data looks like invalid/garbage data and is therefore likely filtered out by muxers.) Even if the data ends up in the file, no indication of this would be stored at the container level, there is no header element saying "This track contains Dolby Vision data". I don't think that this can be meaningfully extracted as a separate track (if it is shown as a separate track, then it is likely not stored in the video stream, so it has its own PID and one could "extract the track by using a PID filter).
There are 2 ways to store Dolby Vision. One as SEI messages in the base video stream. On Blu-Ray it seems they use a second "track" instead. As you say there isn't really any way to "properly" copy that into mkv yet.
Old 18th October 2018, 09:38   #14718  |  Link
mkver

Quote:
Assuming there's also aac encoder delay they almost (44ms - 42ms = 2ms) cancel each other out completely if the edit lists of both tracks are lost, right?
You are making presumptions about the aac encoder delay that needn't be true. Not every aac encoder has a delay of 2 frames. The best bet would probably to test Apple's AAC encoder. Or maybe Dulus_No knows a bit more about this?
[Edit]: This and this both suggest 2112 samples which are exactly 44ms. You knew that, didn't you?
[Edit2]: Yes, you did. Of course you did.

Last edited by mkver; 18th October 2018 at 09:49.
Old 18th October 2018, 09:45   #14719  |  Link
sneaker_ger

This is the link I posted earlier: https://developer.apple.com/library/...TFFAppenG.html
Apple's AAC encoder uses 2112 samples of delay. At 48 kHz that's exactly 44ms. If you use QAAC it confirms this.

(Of course we still can't be 100% sure that's what they use for their streaming but it's the best guess until someone has a properly decrypted sample.)
Old 18th October 2018, 10:29   #14720  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Quote:
If you demux to "raw" (ADTS) AAC there is no way to store the delay infos that mkv or mp4 container can store. It is lost. You will introduce a slight delay (here: -5ms). MediaInfo doesn't know this. It is not an AI that analyzes e.g. speech to mouth movement of video but only looks at the delay values stored in the container (mkv/mp4).
@justnobody
One thing I forgot to add:
When you extract certain audio formats with eac3to it will delete/add audio frames to preserve the delay value of the source container as best as possible (within length of 1 audio frame). The eac3to log should tell you if that happens. Not sure if that works with AAC as eac3to's AAC handling seems to be very limited.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to