Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 9th March 2009, 02:36   #1  |  Link
gonwk

MEncoder Crash on WMV & Possible Codec Problem

Hi folks,

I have installed Shark007's Vista Codec Package (VCP) 5.1.4 and VCP-X64 1.7.0 successfully on my laptop that has Vista Home Prem., 64-bit.

Q1: Do I need to install AviSynth 2.5.8 separately if one of my Video Programs looks for it? And would installing it conflict with VCPs?

Q2: Can I still install "XviD 1.2.1" and "DivX 5.2.1 Pro" for my other Video Porgram that needs them even though I have VCP? And would installing it conflict with VCP?

Q3: I am not sure if this MEncoder problem or lack of Codec on my laptop ... .WMV video files that have been coded with "WMP v8" with Codec name of WMV2 MEncoder crashes while I try to convert them to AVI using a MEncoder GUI? Any thoughts on this!?!?

FYI ... .WMV files that have Codec Name: WMV3 and converted with "WMP v9 (VC-1 Simple/Main)" MEncoder coverts them just fine to AVI!

Q4: Do I need some additional Codec installed on my laptop to get that program working with any .WMV to AVI conversions!?!?

Thanks,

G!

Last edited by Guest; 10th March 2009 at 05:27. Reason: rule 9
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 04:21   #2  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Codec packs are a bad idea. Install what you need, forget the rest. MPlayer doesn't use Directshow or VFW codecs as input anyway so that isn't your mencoder problem.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 05:06   #3  |  Link
gonwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector.Gadget View Post
Codec packs are a bad idea. Install what you need, forget the rest. MPlayer doesn't use Directshow or VFW codecs as input anyway so that isn't your mencoder problem.
Hi Inspector Gadget,

That what I have always heard and read also ... but with this DARN Vista ... how do you know what the heck are the "Minimum" Codecs that you need ...

Q1: Since Video stuff is my Hobby and I love experimenting with Different Freewares (Video & Audio programs) ... what would you say are the Codecs I would need!?!?

Q2: Is there a "List of some Sort" that I can go by!?!?

THANKS!

G!
Old 10th March 2009, 23:44   #4  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

A1: Try ffdshow with Haali's Matroska splitter. Pick a player: a lot of people like MPC or MPC-HC. On my current Vista install, I've never found a file that couldn't play using MPC-HC, ffdshow (keeping updated with the latest generic builds from clsid), and Haali's Matroska Splitter.

A2: Not really, because most people address the problem in a way akin to killing a fly with a bazooka.

If you keep having trouble with encoding WMV2/WMV v8 to AVI, try making an Avisynth script loading the original file with DirectShowSource() and pass that to your favorite encoder. You can find the newest encoder applications in the "MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs" section of the Doom9 forum.
Old 11th March 2009, 02:12   #5  |  Link
gonwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector.Gadget View Post
... If you keep having trouble with encoding WMV2/WMV v8 to AVI, try making an Avisynth script loading the original file with DirectShowSource() and pass that to your favorite encoder. You can find the newest encoder applications in the "MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs" section of the Doom9 forum.
Hi Inspector Gadget,

Thanks for Your HELP!

Darn ... that means I have to finally buckle down and spend some time and learn AviSynth and Scripting ... programming does not come naturally to me ... so!

I will load up on the Codecs that you suggested ...

Q: BTW do I need FFMPEG on my lappy!?!?

Thanks again,

G!
Old 11th March 2009, 02:59   #6  |  Link
roozhou

Mencoder & FFMPEG do not rely on avisynth. They accept almost anything.
roozhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 03:12   #7  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

You don't need ffmpeg unless you have something in mind to encode with it.

Tags
converter, mencoder gui