Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th June 2017, 15:01   #4461  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I can imagine Vulkan being a noticeable improvement over OpenGL, but I don't think using Vulkan would help either MPDN or madVR. AMD/Nvidia spend most of their time optimizing their drivers for Direct3D, so using Direct3D should offer the best performance - on Windows at least. Of course for a multi platform project using Vulkan sounds like the best solution.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 13:50   #4462  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
Mpv has already (not in master) a working vulkan renderer with +95% of its current opengl renderer and massive performance improvements. So it's not impossible for the MPDN team too!
Is there some evidence for the performance improvements? I really doubt this since the OpenGL renderer is doing absolutely fine with low CPU and GPU usage on both Windows and Linux (who knows about that crippled Mac environment which doesn't get Vulkan anyway).
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 10:52   #4463  |  Link
stax76

What could be the reason if the player don't start? I just hear some error beep.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 12:04   #4464  |  Link
Shiandow

If it doesn't start at all that sounds like the issue is in MPDN itself, possibly some problems with .Net. Are there any messages in the windows event logs? You could also try running Debugview.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 12:18   #4465  |  Link
stax76

I've tried both but didn't find anything.
Old 27th June 2017, 13:08   #4466  |  Link
Shiandow

Odd, I'd expect at least something to show up in the event log. What version of MPDN and Windows are you using?
Old 27th June 2017, 13:24   #4467  |  Link
stax76

W10 Pro 1703 x64 and MPDN just downloaded.
Old 27th June 2017, 14:57   #4468  |  Link
Shiandow

Why is it always windows 10 with the weird .net issues? Anyway, reinstalling the .net framework might help, but maybe MPDN itself needs to be recompiled before it works properly on windows 10. In theory neither of these should be necessary, but then again in theory it shouldn't just crash on one PC and run fine on another.
Old 27th June 2017, 15:44   #4469  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

It's also always Windows 10 with the weird GPU driver issues...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 16:00   #4470  |  Link
stax76

It's not that Windows 7 don't has issues... batch file processing is broken for instance if you use unicode and Umlaute, I need to deal with batch files for several reasons like x265 requiring piping or piping with eac3to.

Quote:
Note there are serious implementation bugs in Windows's code page 65001 support which will break many applications that rely on the C standard library IO methods, so this is very fragile. (Batch files also just stop working in 65001.) Unfortunately UTF-8 is a second-class citizen in Windows.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...mmand-line-how

Win 10 has it fixed along with 1000 other issues.

Last edited by stax76; 27th June 2017 at 16:03.
Old 27th June 2017, 17:04   #4471  |  Link
YxP

Maybe we have reached the maximum amount of code for humans to handle with windows 10 or something. Everyone seems to have at least one problem with it, but it rarely is the same. Did I just hear "minimal MadOS for HTPC"?
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 04:29   #4472  |  Link
Hrxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
What could be the reason if the player don't start? I just hear some error beep.
This definitely shouldn't happen. I don't know if it is related to .NET at all, never heard of something specific here, to be honest.

I don't know, anything unusual about your Windows configuration, programs running in the background that are not considered as "common"?
Hrxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 09:28   #4473  |  Link
stax76

I use win defender and autohotkey with a simple hotkey script.

ApplicationFrameHost, AutoHotkey, backgroundTaskHost, Calculator, conhost, csrss, dasHost, dllhost, dwm, explorer, fontdrvhost, GoogleCrashHandler, GoogleCrashHandler64, googledrivesync, HxCalendarAppImm, HxTsr, IAStorDataMgrSvc, Idle, igfxCUIService, igfxEM, IpOverUsbSvc, IPROSetMonitor, jusched, lsass, Memory Compression, Microsoft.Msn.Weather, MSASCuiL, MsMpEng, NisSrv, nvcontainer, NVDisplay.Container, NVIDIA Web Helper, NvTelemetryContainer, nvtray, OneDrive, powershell, PresentationFontCache, RemindersServer, RtkNGUI64, RuntimeBroker, SearchFilterHost, SearchIndexer, SearchProtocolHost, SearchUI, SecurityHealthService, services, SettingSyncHost, ShellExperienceHost, sihost, SkypeHost, smartscreen, smss, SpeechRuntime, spoolsv, sqlwriter, StaxLauncher, svchost, System, SystemSettings, taskhostw, thunderbird, vmcompute, vmms, vmnat, vmnetdhcp, vmware-authd, vmware-usbarbitrator64, wininit, winlogon, WinStore.App, WmiPrvSE, WUDFHost
Old 29th June 2017, 12:44   #4474  |  Link
Hrxn

Windows Defender itself is definitely not the problem, and Autohotkey shouldn't be the culprit either.

But it seems that you have VMware running? Maybe that's locking the GPU driver in some way, I don't know..
Old 2nd July 2017, 22:07   #4475  |  Link
donger

Is there any reason that after correctly using rate tuner i still have to delay sound 150ms to avoid lipsync issues?
donger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 16:33   #4476  |  Link
Shiandow

Well, the most obvious reason would be that the audio on the video you're trying to watch is early by about 150ms.
Old 6th July 2017, 08:52   #4477  |  Link
pose

Shiandow, hello! Can you tell me your preferences in scalers and shaders with MPDN, please? What things you use in different scenarios with various sources? Thank you!
pose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 23:25   #4478  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pose View Post
Shiandow, hello! Can you tell me your preferences in scalers and shaders with MPDN, please? What things you use in different scenarios with various sources? Thank you!
With the latest extensions my default was Bilateral > SSIM > Deband Experimental > SSSR. All using the default settings (which shouldn't be too surprising, since I defined the defaults). I use this for pretty much all sources (although I heavily use script groups with shortcuts to switch between different settings or turn parts of the processing on or off).

However keep in mind that my setup is basically designed to test and improve the renderscripts I made. And that my version of the extensions might differ slightly from the current available version.

For example, one of the more recent changes I made allowed debanding to be done before chroma scaling (which is nice since you can work with the original 8 bit values). I've also added a shader at the end to convert from a 2.2 gamma to 2.4, since the current standards seems to suggest that SDR media should be displayed on a 100 nit screen with a 2.4 gamma.
Old 8th July 2017, 05:45   #4479  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I've also added a shader at the end to convert from a 2.2 gamma to 2.4, since the current standards seems to suggest that SDR media should be displayed on a 100 nit screen with a 2.4 gamma.
well you missed something important here.

this only makes sense when your screen is perfectly calibrated to 2.2 but... just calibrate it to 2.4 if that is what you want.
and gamma should be chosen on room ambient light.

the current "standard" is BT 1886 BTW.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 12:33   #4480  |  Link
Hrxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
With the latest extensions my default was Bilateral > SSIM > Deband Experimental > SSSR. [...]
SSIM? As in SSIM Downscaler?

Well, I've seen/heard this before, but never found an convincing explanation so far. What is the point of the downscaling step? How does it really improve anything?

Tags
direct3d, mpdn, nnedi3, opencl, reclock