Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th September 2012, 17:48   #14221  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Wow, that's really working nice here. Thank you ... :-)
Agreed. It's speedy here too.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 18:32   #14222  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.83.6 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: some more Overlay related issues (black screen, error messages etc)
* fixed: media player closing and loading a different video was slow
Working great here, thanks madshi!
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 18:36   #14223  |  Link
SamKook

Switching from FSE to overlay seems to work fine now. It takes a bit longer when it's done for the first time but that's not a big deal.

Also, my resizing macro now works every times in the last 2 versions so thanks for that. The actual video image is much slower than the player though since it starts moving only once the player window is resized, but that's not a problem at all since there always were a delay with the resize anyway.

One thing I've noticed completely randomly, when you right click repeatedly a few times(it usually take 3) in FSE mode, MPC-HC will lose focus to madVR(I think at least, the message is: "Focus lost to: mpc-hc.exe - madVR") and exit fullscreen to go to windowed mode.
It's not a big problem since that's not something one would normally do, but here's a debug log anyway: http://www.mediafire.com/file/le9f6agf6rc3k6i/madVR_log_SamKook_2012-09-27.rar
SamKook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 19:04   #14224  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

@ madshi

Hy there, i just have a quick Question for you.,.
In the newer versions of MADVR there are the options for d3d11 and more..But in the newer MADVR versions, these options are all gone!!!
i cant set some settings i needed before to get no pres glitches..now i cant set em up anymore..

Is that on purpose or just and error?

Greetz BetA

i think these options where all here or under rendering. not shure anymore...But i guess u know whjat i mean..

Last edited by BetA13; 27th September 2012 at 19:07.
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 19:15   #14225  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@BetA13, these options were only needed for older NVidia drivers. I've removed the options because the glitch problem was fixed by the latest NVidia WHQL.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 19:50   #14226  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Quote:
@BetA13, these options were only needed for older NVidia drivers. I've removed the options because the glitch problem was fixed by the latest NVidia WHQL.
ahhhh, ok. I didnt knew that..didnt even saw these in teh release notes of teh drivers..
Since what Driver Version is it fixed?
Using 306.02 here on my PC.

Thanks for the Info mate..
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 20:02   #14227  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Don't know, just use the latest WHQL, that should do the trick.
Old 27th September 2012, 20:27   #14228  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
I've tested again. MPC-HC is using the same source filter on my PC that is used on yours. On mine there was no "Color Space Converter" in the graph, though. So I added it to the "preferred" filters, then it showed up, too. In either case, with or without the Color Space Converter, jpg images show just fine on my PC with madVR, no crash at all.

Maybe you can try again with the latest madVR build and if the crash still occurs, upload another crash report? I'm not sure if it will help, though. The crash report you uploaded earlier didn't help, unfortunately. So there's a chance if you create another one, it might not help, either. But that's all we can try right now.
With the latest build (0.83.6), I didn't get a crash report but a couple of freeze reports. I found four freeze reports on my desktop (all of them look similar). I am attaching all four for the sake of completeness.

BTW, is it really a good idea to use madVR for viewing still images? I mean, does madVR apply appropriate color corrections to the still images as well?
Attached Files
File Type: txt madVR - freeze report (1).txt (31.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: txt madVR - freeze report (2).txt (31.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: txt madVR - freeze report (3).txt (34.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: txt madVR - freeze report (4).txt (34.3 KB, 45 views)
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 21:17   #14229  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
madVR v0.83.6 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: some more Overlay related issues (black screen, error messages etc)
* fixed: media player closing and loading a different video was slow
Excellent, thank you very much!
It's now as fast as 0.82.5, if not more!
Old 27th September 2012, 21:19   #14230  |  Link
dansrfe

What are the pros/cons of "delay playback start until render queue is full" and "use a separate device for presentation" ?
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 21:28   #14231  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

anyone got a clue about amd graphic drivers? with my laptop which has a radeon 4850 it doesnt work to put 1080p23 in the madVR field to autochange resolution. my TV (connected via HDMI and extended desktop) stays at 60Hz then. 1080p24 works, but I still get ~1 dropped frame every 1-2 minutes then.

with another laptop which has switchable graphics (intel HD and radeon 7670m) entering 1080p23 works, the TV automatically switches to 24Hz mode then (its tiny bit different than those 24Hz I get with 1080p24) and I also dont get any dropped frames any more. has this anything to do with the different graphic drivers, one time the "normal" ones and another time those mixed ones for Intel HD and the radeon card? (though for the radeon card, in both cases they are (based on) v12.6). in case of the other laptop, I can set 23Hz manually in the Intel HD graphic settings, while there doesnt seem to be any option in the regular CCC "my flat panels" tab for 23Hz, only 1080p 24Hz.
any idea what I could do there?
Old 27th September 2012, 21:33   #14232  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
With the latest build (0.83.6), I didn't get a crash report but a couple of freeze reports. I found four freeze reports on my desktop (all of them look similar). I am attaching all four for the sake of completeness.
Did you create them intentionally? They should be created only if you press "Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Break". Creating freeze reports makes sense only if the media player or madVR seem to be frozen. Was that the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
BTW, is it really a good idea to use madVR for viewing still images? I mean, does madVR apply appropriate color corrections to the still images as well?
madVR doesn't know it's a still image. It treats it as if it were video. Whether it's a good idea to use a media player for still image viewing? I don't really know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
It's now as fast as 0.82.5, if not more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
What are the pros/cons of "delay playback start until render queue is full"
+ less stuttering at the start of playback
+ less frame drops at the start of playback
- longer wait until playback starts
- in rare circumstances playback may stay paused "forever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
and "use a separate device for presentation" ?
Strict seperation of rendering and presentation seems to make things a bit easier for the GPU driver. As a result playback might be slightly more stable (less frame drops, less glitches, less weird effects). The only con is that raw GPU performance might be ever so slightly worse.
Old 27th September 2012, 21:59   #14233  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Arg madshi, It seems a small bug has creeped in.
Very often now, I get an error when I open a new video while one is already playing:
Quote:
Zoom Player
---------------------------
Access violation at address 4A469A63 in module 'madVR_[debug].ax'. Read of address 09D43570.
---------------------------
OK
The first video closes OK, then error message above and the 2nd video never opens. (i must close ZP manually)

A log is here: http://videoff7.free.fr/madVRTSR_log.zip
Old 28th September 2012, 01:22   #14234  |  Link
blackjack12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12 View Post
Wanted to provide a little more detail to some performance issues I have seen with Windows 8.

Windows 8 RTM (64)
Nvidia 560Ti
Nvidia driver ver. 306.23
MPC-HC 1.6.4.6011
LAV Filters 0.51.3-53
madVR - Comparing 0.82.5 (with antiringing 6 updates) - 0.83.5
MKV Blu-Ray direct rip files tested - VC-1, VC-1i, H264, H264i material

Problem:
With 0.83.5 files begin and play correctly, but if you jump ahead or back a number of times all of a sudden frames start dropping, stuttering and it does not stop or correct after pausing. It is consistent. Go back to 0.82.5 and there are no problems. ...

Cannot forward a log file or video sample because there is no crash or error indicated and have to move around a very large (20-40GB) file to see the issue. But it is consistent and always seen on this system and changing back to 0.82.5 always corrects the issue.
Seeing the same thing with 0.83.6. Go back to 0.82.5 and all is well.

Get 1-2-3 moves and then frame drops and stuttering. Tried quite a few files and always began causing dropped frames on the 3rd move ...

OSD screen shots for several files can be found here. They are at the point that dropped frames begin as you asked for. Once it starts it only gets worse over time.

http://sdrv.ms/UPOJRZ
Windows 10 Pro (all latest updates)
blackjack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 01:35   #14235  |  Link
alizard

Hey Blackjack, have you tried exclusive mode? I'm using Windows 8 x64 and an AMD 4870 and get flawless playback using old path exclusive mode (present several frames in advance unchecked) with delay playback until render queue is full and use a separate device for presentation both enabled. My max rendering stats never go beyond 0.10ms and I get no dropped or delayed frames.
alizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 03:43   #14236  |  Link
alizard

I also have delay exclusive mode by 3 seconds unchecked and automatic fullscreen exclusive enabled, with all the flush settings set to don't flush. Try these settings with use a separate device for presentation unchecked (I somehow hallucinated that I had that setting enabled but I don't, tried it to see if it mattered and I get stuttering after a few minutes of playback)
alizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 04:59   #14237  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
I just ran into a strange new issue with 0.83.5 where the Windowed mode Backbuffer Queue refused to fill after exiting FSE, and I was getting constant dropped frames because of it.
Same problem just happened in 0.83.6. Messed around with it a bit in that bugged state, and discovered that reducing the number of backbuffers to 1 or 2 made it act somewhat normally, 3 or above (normally I have it set to 4) and the backbuffer queue would refuse to fill at all with contanst dropped frames and playback which looks like 1fps. Otherwise, the problem remains until MPC-HC is exited.

Here is a debug log:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jk5o1ke6kgb0xoe

It seems like it may be triggered by activating subtitles in MKV with Haali + VSFilter via context menu which exits and re-enters FSE.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 05:29   #14238  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Any reports about the performance of closing the media player or changing video files, anyone? Did v0.83.5 bring the performance back to v0.82.5 levels for you? Or is it still noticeably slower compared to v0.82.5?
Ths isn't really about the speed of file opening/closing/changing but it's related to changing files.

If I start video playback in windowed mode and then change to fullscreen (fullscreen windowed mode in MadVR that is), if I switch video files the picture drops out of full-screen view and back to windowed. But only on the first video change. If I change video clips after that (with the next/prev keys for the media player) the picture stays full screen. This only occurs with Full Screen Exclusive mode turned off. With FSE mode enabled I get a flash of the beginning of the previous file instead.

I'm seeing this now with the current version of MadVR (0.83.6), but it has been happening for a little while now. I recorded two videos of me playing through a folder of music video files skipping and jumping in/out of fullscreen mode frequently. You can see that when I change from a windowed mode to full screen and then change clips (the video player OSD pops up when I do) on the first clip change after going full screen you see a brief flash of the player's window interface. This effects more than one player.

This first clip is using MadVR 0.82.5 on Zoom Player 8.5RC1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxhXyV3uE3w

This second clip was made a couple nights ago. Using MadVR 0.83.4 on MPC-HC 1.6.3.5818:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrWW8KaLieI

I can't recall when this first showed up, but since it's present in 0.82.5 I guess it was the 0.82 branch somewhere.

Edit: I did want to say that the problem disappeared in 0.83.1, but that's also when files started having a long black-screen delay between changes. But the problem reappeared in 0.83.4.

Last edited by nx6; 28th September 2012 at 05:40.
nx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 06:19   #14239  |  Link
sgraves66

What's the string setting / path for 'enable windowed overlay (Windows 7 and newer)'? Didn't notice it in the comments in mvrInterfaces.h.
sgraves66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 08:06   #14240  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Did you create them intentionally? They should be created only if you press "Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Break". Creating freeze reports makes sense only if the media player or madVR seem to be frozen. Was that the case?
Oh, now I can recall I actually got a freeze. I tried several keyboard shortcuts to come out the fullscreen mode. I also pressed "Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Break" and probably multiple times. That's why I saw four freeze reports on my desktop. I didn't remember that this key combination creates freeze report.

Finally, I had to press "Ctlr+Alt+Del" -> Start Task Manager -> kill mpc-hc.

If the freeze reports which I attached are not useful, then I will make one suggestion for the last time. If it doesn't help, then I will probably ignore this problem.

Could you please try opening a still image in fullscreen mode? Then move your mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen and bring it back. If you don't see any freeze or crash, then probably something is wrong with my setup.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling