Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th September 2002, 13:56   #1  |  Link
bookguy

problems with Vdub

HI everyone -

I'm having a problem splitting a 900meg divx file into two smaller files in order to fit them on two CDs.

I've tried using VirtualDub 1.4.10 to do this, but every time I try to open the file it gives me a "cannot open file" error - dx50 not found.

I've tried using earlier versions of VDub, and I've downloaded and installed all of the codecs that you have on the site here for good measure...all to no avail.

I'm doing this on my college system, which is NT based...I've checked that I have the codecs installed properly(...at least, I can see divxdec.ax and divx.dll in the win32 system folder)

I've searched your forums, and I can't find anything that wil solve this - any help greatly appreciated!

cheers, Bookguy
bookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2002, 15:24   #2  |  Link
Mac Sidewinder

I believe that the dx50 error refers to divx v5. Remove version 4 if you have it and reinstall divx 5.

Mac
Mac Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2002, 18:04   #3  |  Link
bookguy

Hmmm - I've tried that , but it doesn't seem to work - to clarify, I use a machine in a university lab running NT. I've installed the codecs correctly - it least they sem to play back divx fine, but I still can't open the big file in Vdub.

There's premier on these machines - can I use that? (Although I get a codec not found error with P5 as well...)

Cheers
Old 28th September 2002, 18:11   #4  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

I think, to install the codec properly, you need an account with administrator priveledges.

It's very easy to determine if DivX 5 is installed properly. Start Vdub, then check the list of video codecs it can see (Alt...Video...Compression). If you don't see DivX 5, you don't have it installed.

For decoding purposes, you do not need the "pro" version.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2002, 16:13   #5  |  Link
bookguy

Quote:
Originally posted by jggimi

It's very easy to determine if DivX 5 is installed properly. Start Vdub, then check the list of video codecs it can see (Alt...Video...Compression). If you don't see DivX 5, you don't have it installed.
[/B]
OK, it's not there...dammit.

What can I do to split this file, then?

Can I just split it using file splitter program and then mulch it somehow?

Help much appreciated - I'm tearing my hair out!

cheers!
Old 2nd October 2002, 06:12   #6  |  Link
jbk

Bookguy,

Try using Nandub instead of Virtualdub to split your AVI. I do this all the time with Nandub, and it works quite well. There is a guide that addresses the "how to" issues, but I don't recall which one off the top of my head. There are other methods and programs, but the Nandub method described in the guide is my method of choice.

JBK
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2002, 06:41   #7  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

You will probably need the codec installed in order to split at a keyframe, even using video in "direct stream copy."

Time to talk to an NT administrator, since you don't have installation priviledges, and you likely need the codec.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2002, 02:30   #8  |  Link
benedict
Lord of the Fourth Estate

What college? With all the stuff students do today, it's almost nonsensical for a college net to not have DivX. Sure, it's a possibility, but I'd be inclined to think the problem was perhaps elsewhere.

Where? Damned if I know.