Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd November 2011, 01:01   #21  |  Link
vampiredom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinr View Post
Or maybe:
Code:
# in .avs script
Try {_ = ScriptName()} Catch(_) {_=_ScriptName(_)}
AVSfilename = _

# in .avsi file
function _ScriptName(string err_msg) {
                err_msg = MidStr(err_msg, FindStr(err_msg, "(") + 1)
                filename = LeftStr(err_msg, StrLen(err_msg) - FindStr(RevStr(err_msg), ","))
                filename
        }
}
Indeed. That is an option (though it appears you have an extra "}" in the function there). I like the previous approach, however, as it keeps the line in script as brief as possible... but it really does not matter. Either way, I think it is about as good as it will get for AviSynth 2.5.8 compatibility.

How about others here: do you have a preference as to whether the attempt at 2.6's native ScriptName() is tried in the .avs or the function?
vampiredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 11:19   #22  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiredom View Post
do you have a preference as to whether the attempt at 2.6's native ScriptName() is tried in the .avs or the function?
I don't think it matters much either way, but FWIW I think jmartinr's solution is slightly 'cleaner', as
- it uses one try/catch instead of two;
- it does not depend on '_' being previously undefined (and so can be used more than once in a script);
- it makes the function more self-contained - its job is then simply to extract the file name from a specified error message, so it could in principle be used in other contexts.
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:06   #23  |  Link
vampiredom

Quote:
FWIW I think jmartinr's solution is slightly 'cleaner', as [...]
Alright then. Those are reasons enough for me! Here it is again, almost like in jmartinr's post but cleaned up a little more (and using '_' in the function for brevity and consistency)

Code:
# in .avs script
Try {_ = ScriptName()} Catch(_) {_=_ScriptName(_)}
AVSfilename = _

# in .avsi file
function _ScriptName(string _) {
        _ = MidStr(_, FindStr(_, "(") + 1)
        LeftStr(_, StrLen(_) - FindStr(RevStr(_), ","))
}
As good as it gets?
vampiredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 21:21   #24  |  Link
alzamer2

if you put theses function in the top of your avs file you will get the same effect of ScriptName(), and ScriptDir() in version 2.58

Code:
Function ScriptName(){try{_}catch(err_msg){return Chr(34)+RevStr(MidStr(RevStr(MidStr(err_msg,Findstr(err_msg,"(")+1)),FindStr(RevStr(MidStr(err_msg,Findstr(err_msg,"("))),",")+1))+Chr(34)}}
Function ScriptFile(){try{_}catch(err_msg){return Chr(34)+MidStr(RevStr(MidStr(RevStr(MidStr(err_msg,Findstr(err_msg,"(")+1)),FindStr(RevStr(MidStr(err_msg,Findstr(err_msg,"("))),",")+1)),StrLen(RevStr(MidStr(RevStr(MidStr(err_msg,Findstr(err_msg,"(")+1)),FindStr(RevStr(MidStr(err_msg,Findstr(err_msg,"("))),",")+1)))-FindStr(MidStr(RevStr(MidStr(err_msg,Findstr(err_msg,"(")+1)),FindStr(RevStr(MidStr(err_msg,Findstr(err_msg,"("))),",")+1),"\")+2)+Chr(34)}}
Function ScriptDir(){try{_}catch(err_msg){return Chr(34)+RevStr(MidStr(MidStr(RevStr(MidStr(err_msg,Findstr(err_msg,"(")+1)),FindStr(RevStr(MidStr(err_msg,Findstr(err_msg,"("))),",")+1),FindStr(MidStr(RevStr(MidStr(err_msg,Findstr(err_msg,"(")+1)),FindStr(RevStr(MidStr(err_msg,Findstr(err_msg,"("))),",")+1),"\")))+Chr(34)}}
alzamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 22:04   #25  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

You need to remove the CHR(34)'s
EDIT: They are already strings, it's good to enclose in quotes before you give a filename to eg a DOS
command, but not before eg concatenating file name node to a directory, you would need to remove the
quotes, concatenate and then put them back again, not good.
EDIT: Name changes might be good too, eg ScriptDir25 or whatever.

EDIT: this might be handy,
Code:
ver = VersionNumber() # Float, Implemented v2.07

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 13th September 2012 at 23:04.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 23:37   #26  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thought it might be an idea to point out somewhere in these simulated ScriptName etc threads that
SMPlayer (built on MPlayer)) returns returns paths with a '/' separator instead of DOS '\' causing
the simulated functions to fail, 2.6 functions cope just fine. EDIT: Perhaps it dont, see next post.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 13th September 2012 at 23:04.
Old 7th September 2012, 00:13   #27  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Correction on previous post, v2.6 may not cope just fine when called via eg smplayer with Unix style '/' path separators.

Code:
# 2.6, Windows Media Player 2
Scriptname= C:\z\26.avs	
ScriptDir= C:\z\	
Scriptfile= 26.avs	

simulated scriptdir= C:\z\	

# 2.6 smplayer	
Scriptname= C:/z/26.avs	
ScriptDir= C:\z\	
Scriptfile= 26.avs	

simulated scriptdir= C:/z/26.avs, line 10)
2.6 ScriptDir DOS style '\' whereas, ScriptName uses Unix '/', presume this one or other is an error.

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th September 2012 at 04:49.
Old 7th September 2012, 23:17   #28  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Code:
# _GetWorkingDir(), Get Current Working Directory as used by Avisynth for easy importing of scripts:- By StainlessS
# Unaffected by problems suffered by either 2.6a3 Script??? functions or synthetic versions, eg AVSPMod (null paths)
# or smplayer (unix style slash).
# Can live anywhere, unaffected by location of the function, can avsi autoload or import.
# Any script using "SetWorkingDir()" will of course change the return value, but assuming working dir not changed,
# then should return the location of your main AVS script. May have advantage over eg ScriptDir as can deliberately
# use SetWorkingDir to something other than the main script directory.
Function _GetWorkingDir(){Try{Import("?\")}Catch(_){s=FindStr(_,Chr(34))_=MidStr(_,s+1,FindStr(_,"?")-s-1)}_}

Function GetFullPathName(String Path,String n) {
# Convert relative path name to full path name.  By StainlessS
# If n (path or filename) starts with eg "C:" or "\\" then returns n.
# Otherwise, appends n to the Path arg ("" defaults Current WorkingDir) and returns the result.
# Result may be either a filename or directory converted from relative to explicit, dependant upon n.
    n=StrReplace(n,"/","\")(FindStr(n,":")!=2 && FindStr(n,"\\") != 1)? Eval("""
    Path=(Path=="")?_GetWorkingDir():StrReplace(Path,"/","\")
    Path=(FindStr(RevStr(Path),"\")==1)?Path:Path+"\"    
    n=(FindStr(n,"\")==1)?MidStr(n,2):n n=Path+n"""): NOP n
}

Function StrReplace(string s,string find,string replace) # Repeated, string replacements
# Original:- http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1540504#post1540504           By Vampiredom, Gavino, IanB
#{i=s.FindStr(find)return(i==0?s: s.LeftStr(i-1)+replace+s.MidStr(Strlen(find)+i).StrReplace(find,replace))}
# Converted to use RT_Stats RT_StrAddStr() to avoid 2.58/2.6a3 string concatenation bug:-
{i=s.FindStr(find) return(i==0?s:RT_StrAddStr(s.LeftStr(i-1),replace,s.MidStr(Strlen(find)+i).StrReplace(find,replace)))}

Function StrReplaceDeep(string s,string find,string replace) # DEEP Repeated, string replacements
# When replacing eg pairs of SPACE characters by single SPACE, StrReplace can leave some pairs non replaced.
# Assumes that you want to rescan where replaced string could constitute part of a new find substring,
# Length of replace must be shorter than length of find, else will call StrReplace instead.
# Based On:- http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1540504#post1540504           By Vampiredom, Gavino, IanB
# {i=s.FindStr(find)return i==0?s:s.LeftStr(i-1)+( strlen(replace)<strlen(find)? \
# StrReplaceDeep(replace+s.MidStr(Strlen(find)+i),find,replace) : replace+StrReplace(s.MidStr(Strlen(find)+i),find,replace))}
# Converted to use RT_Stats RT_StrAddStr() to avoid 2.58/2.6a3 string concatenation bug:-
{i=s.FindStr(find)return i==0?s:RT_StrAddStr(s.LeftStr(i-1),( strlen(replace)<strlen(find)? \
StrReplaceDeep(RT_StrAddStr(replace,s.MidStr(Strlen(find)+i)),find,replace) : \
RT_StrAddStr(replace,StrReplace(s.MidStr(Strlen(find)+i),find,replace))))}
Added StrReplaceDeep function, to fix problem noted 2 posts later.

Last edited by StainlessS; 29th December 2012 at 02:17.
Old 29th September 2012, 15:08   #29  |  Link
martin53

@all,
after mf/stickboy's help, I made myself an .avs file template in 2009. I can create this template by using shortcuts in various file commanders, or dragging a video file onto a vbs icon, or using windows' "new" context menu command ...

In my case, the template contains the try ... function, but I gave that function the name Me().

Thus:
Code:
function Me() {
    Try { assert(false) } Catch(err_msg) {
        err_msg = MidStr(err_msg, FindStr(err_msg, "(") + 1)
        filename = LeftStr(err_msg, StrLen(err_msg) - FindStr(RevStr(err_msg), ",") - 4)
        return filename
}}
Below, the template says
Code:
Show(Me+"")  #object oriented people say: Me.Show
and that's all.

Show() is another function that I put together over the years. It checks for existence various extensions to Me, so it can work the same, whether Me is the basename of an .avi, a .mp4, a .mpg, a .flv ... and it uses totally different source filters, depending on the found extension, of course. It automatically Audiodub()s two sources for demuxed media etc.
Show() also automatically splices up to about 20 media files together. I.e. the script 01+02.avs will find the sources 01.avi and 02.avi, and present them as one.

And I made Show() also parse the string Me not only for the file name, but in fact that string can contain AviSynth commands. I decided to separate the part of the Me string that comes in front of the first pair of semicolons, and to use the rest of the script name as space that is executed by Eval():
Code:
    pos = findstr(name, ";;")
    args = pos > 0 ? MidStr(name, pos+2) : ""
    name = pos > 0 ? LeftStr(name, pos-1) : name
    GEval( Replace( Replace( args, ";;", chr(13) ), "''", chr(34) ) )
That means I can write an AVS script into the file name of the script itself, where I type a pair of ;; for a newline and a pair of single quotes '' for a quote ".

The reason for adding an empty string +"" to Me for Show() is, of course, that I can also add script commands to a file that is open in the editor, instead of changing the file name in this case.

Why am I writing all this in the forum?

First, because it is one possible answer on how to modify the script behaviour easily, without opening an editor - by a different variable definition in the name of two scripts (e.g: two template files myfile;;preview=true.avs and myfile;;preview=false.avs provide the variable preview inside your script, so it can react on it. Show() reacts on a set of variables I need often.

Second, to point out the importance of having the base name, in contrast to the complete file name, of the .avs script. Of course, that can easily be derived from ScriptName. But that again needs one user function to be written (many of us will have to do so, or one does it and many copy it), so it would be less effort in total - and reasonable - if AviSynth provided ScriptBaseName right away.

Last edited by martin53; 29th September 2012 at 16:48.
martin53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 22:42   #30  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Problem in StrReplace() script function: 2 posts earlier, and here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...04#post1540504

Code:
Q="[10]      9   -0.13    0.16   0.004 0.99927"

RT_Debug("Source_string ='",Q+"'")
x=StrReplace(Q,"  "," ")                   # Repeated replace pairs of SPACE's with single SPACE, ie SPACE compact.
RT_Debug("StrReplace    ='",x+"'")
y=StrReplaceDeep(Q,"  "," ")               # Repeated replace pairs of SPACE's with single SPACE, ie SPACE compact.
RT_Debug("StrReplaceDeep='",y+"'")

return colorbars()

Function StrReplace(string s,string find,string replace) # Repeated, string replacements
# Original:- http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1540504#post1540504           By Vampiredom, Gavino, IanB
#{i=s.FindStr(find)return(i==0?s: s.LeftStr(i-1)+replace+s.MidStr(Strlen(find)+i).StrReplace(find,replace))}
{i=s.FindStr(find) return(i==0?s:RT_StrAddStr(s.LeftStr(i-1),replace,s.MidStr(Strlen(find)+i).StrReplace(find,replace)))}

Function StrReplaceDeep(string s,string find,string replace) # DEEP Repeated, string replacements
# When replacing eg pairs of SPACE characters by single SPACE, StrReplace can leave some pairs non replaced.
# Assumes that you want to rescan where replaced string could constitute part of a new find substring,
# Length of replace must be shorter than length of find, else will call StrReplace instead.
# Based On:- http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1540504#post1540504           By Vampiredom, Gavino, IanB
# {i=s.FindStr(find)return i==0?s:s.LeftStr(i-1)+( strlen(replace)<strlen(find)? \
# StrReplaceDeep(replace+s.MidStr(Strlen(find)+i),find,replace) : replace+StrReplace(s.MidStr(Strlen(find)+i),find,replace))}
{i=s.FindStr(find)return i==0?s:RT_StrAddStr(s.LeftStr(i-1),( strlen(replace)<strlen(find)? \
StrReplaceDeep(RT_StrAddStr(replace,s.MidStr(Strlen(find)+i)),find,replace) : \
RT_StrAddStr(replace,StrReplace(s.MidStr(Strlen(find)+i),find,replace))))}
Results
Code:
00000006	18.30790710	[2872] RT_Debug: Source_string =' [10]      9   -0.13    0.16   0.004 0.99927'	
00000007	18.32215691	[2872] RT_Debug: StrReplace    =' [10]   9  -0.13  0.16  0.004 0.99927'	
00000008	18.34622955	[2872] RT_Debug: StrReplaceDeep=' [10] 9 -0.13 0.16 0.004 0.99927'
Both above funcs have standard Avisynth versions (commented out) and RT_StrAddStr() version which fixes a bug in 2.58 & 2.6a3.

EDIT:
Have edited to implement as a new separate function, StrReplaceDeep (alternative name suggestions ?).

Last edited by StainlessS; 29th December 2012 at 02:16.
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:50   #31  |  Link
martin53

I am using V2.60, build: Aug 28 2012 [18:17:07].

Usage of ScriptName() etc. throws an error.
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:24   #32  |  Link
jmartinr

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin53 View Post
I am using V2.60, build: Aug 28 2012 [18:17:07].

Usage of ScriptName() etc. throws an error.
And what error might that be? What does it say?
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:48   #33  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
And what error might that be? What does it say?
And also, from whence did you obtain Aug 2012 executable.

(ScriptName is builtin to 2.6) EDIT: Although it will (I think) be using script version instead, if supplied.

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd December 2012 at 17:10.
Old 3rd December 2012, 18:54   #34  |  Link
martin53

Yep, sorry. I really forgot to be more specific.

Version.Subtitle(foo) says I don't know what "foo" means as expected.
Version.Subtitle(ScriptName) says Script error: Invalid Arguments to function "Subtitle"
Version.Subtitle(ScriptName()) says the same, also Version.Subtitle(ScriptDir), Version.Subtitle(Scriptfile) with and without additional function brackets.

Version.Subtitle("<"+string(Scriptname)+">") produces the version clip with <> subtitle.

assert(false,IsString(Scriptname)?"true":"false") returns false, likewise IsBool, IsClip, IsFloat, IsInt and Defined. While assert(false,IsString(foo)?"true":"false") returns I don't know...

ScriptName seems to be existent but of no type somehow.

I cannot remember where I downloaded the package from. Its file name is avisynth_2.60MTalpha_SEt_120828. The dll properties reveal version 2.6.0.3, 1.65MB from 08/28/2012 16:45
Old 4th December 2012, 10:59   #35  |  Link
jmartinr

Here it works.

Code:
Version.Subtitle(ScriptName)
Using Avisynth 2.60, build may 16 2012. If it's important to you, you might want to change versions.

Don't remember where I got this from, but it is an MT-version. It's still in my dowload-archive as a 7z-file. If you want you can download it at: http://roelofs-coaching.nl/downloads/avisynth.7z
Old 4th December 2012, 11:16   #36  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Here it works.

Using Avisynth 2.60, build may 16 2012.
Judging from the date, that is the previous version of SEt's 2.60 MT build, while martin53 appears to be using the latest one.

Looks like a bug has been introduced in the latest version - I don't know if SEt reads all the threads here, so I suggest you report it on the 2.60 MT thread.
Old 4th December 2012, 16:25   #37  |  Link
vdcrim

So the ScriptName function you're using is the included in AviSynth 2.6 or one of the script functions posted in this thread? If it's the former your problem must be that the program you're using to load the script doesn't support the v2.6 interface.

There's two ways to load an AviSynth script, using the VFW interface and loading AviSynth directly as a library and then calling env->Invoke + Eval. The ScriptName, ScriptDir and ScriptFile functions just return the string saved in a global variable of the same name that is set by AviSynth when using the VFW approach. On the second case the variables are still declared by AviSynth when creating the environment but as the script file is not opened by AviSynth itself they are left uninitialized. This is called in the AviSynth language a variable of type void. Void variables can't be created by scripting, I figure that that's why there isn't a IsVoid function.

So the caller application is responsible for setting those variables before creating the clip. I don't know how many programs currently do this. AvsPmod only started doing it in the recent 2.4.0 version.

Edit:there seems to be a mismatch between the AviSynth source code files and the wiki, as the later refers to not declared variables also as void.

Last edited by vdcrim; 4th December 2012 at 16:53.
vdcrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 18:06   #38  |  Link
martin53

vdcrim,
thanks for the helpful info.

I was using the included, not a script function, and I was using AvsPmod 2.3.0

The reason I appreciate the builtin function is that you cannot use script functions from included .avsi files - they return the name of that script instead of the calling one. So when you provide a filter script to others that needs to write files and you want to prevent collisions if the user opens more than one clip at a time... you need something unique, and the calling script name is good for that.

I verified that indeed opening the same script in VDub shows the string correctly.
However, between VDub (1.10.1 portable) and AvsPmod (2.4.0), there is an annoying difference:

in VDub, ScriptName shows the filename with path, while in AvsPmod, it shows only the filename without path.
In VDub, ScriptFile shows only the filename without path, while in AvsPmod, it shows the complete filename with path.

Now which one is intended and which is wrong? The terms 'name' and 'file' are not very unmistakable.
Edit: according to the prior usage of the function names in this thread, AvsPmod is wrong. Solution is in pyavs.py lines 126/127, but I cannot build AvsPmod.

I kindly ask the AviSynth developer team to please clarify the intention of the variable names and initiate the solution. Should I help to forward the issue somehow?
Edit: posted the issue in the AvsPmod thread

Last edited by martin53; 4th December 2012 at 18:34.
Old 4th December 2012, 18:14   #39  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdcrim View Post
There's two ways to load an AviSynth script, using the VFW interface and loading AviSynth directly as a library and then calling env->Invoke + Eval. The ScriptName, ScriptDir and ScriptFile functions just return the string saved in a global variable of the same name that is set by AviSynth when using the VFW approach. On the second case the variables are still declared by AviSynth when creating the environment but as the script file is not opened by AviSynth itself they are left uninitialized.
If the script is in a file, the usual way to load it using Avisynth as a library is to call env->Invoke("Import") (not Eval).
It's the Import() function (not the VfW interface per se) that sets the global variables, so ScriptName() should still work with this approach. AvsP[Mod] is different as it already has the text in a buffer, so uses Eval instead of Import.

Quote:
This is called in the AviSynth language a variable of type void. Void variables can't be created by scripting, I figure that that's why there isn't a IsVoid function.
The Defined() function is the equivalent of IsVoid. A void variable can be created by passing a default parameter, or (in v2.60) using the Undefined() function.

Quote:
Edit:there seems to be a mismatch between the AviSynth source code files and the wiki, as the later refers to not declared variables also as void.
Not sure what you mean here. Where is the mismatch?
Old 4th December 2012, 18:28   #40  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin53 View Post
in VDub, ScriptName shows the filename with path, while in AvsPmod, it shows only the filename without path.
In VDub, ScriptFile shows only the filename without path, while in AvsPmod, it shows the complete filename with path.

Now which one is intended and which is wrong?
As implemented by Avisynth, ScriptName is the actual string passed in to Import(), and may or may not be the full path, depending on the caller.

ScriptDir and ScriptFile are the full path of the containing folder, and the basic filename part, respectively.

See this post by IanB.