Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th January 2016, 23:52   #35041  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it is 50 FPS because of deinterlacing
Deinterlacing in video mode, wrong auto-detected, right? As in "PAL 4" case?

Quote:
YADIF is a deinterlancer film mode is an IVTC algorithm.
it tries to restore the orginal frmae rate and onyl works on telecine source not interlanced sources.
But madVR's deinterlacing film mode does work in "PAL 3" case. It gives the better result (http://i63.tinypic.com/sfi168.jpg) than madVR's deinterlacing video mode (http://i68.tinypic.com/x7nva.jpg). Is the source telecine?

I tried YADIF deinterlacing in ffdshow - madVR recognizes double frame rate. So the problem is perhaps in LAV. Also, the picture I got with it for PAL is the same I got with LAV (worse than I got with madVR's film mode deinterlacing). Does it mean that YADIF deinterlacing algorythm is objectively worse in this case and the bug report will be senseless?

Magically yours
Raistlin

Last edited by GCRaistlin; 7th January 2016 at 23:55.
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 00:03   #35042  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
Deinterlacing in video mode, wrong auto-detected, right? As in "PAL 4" case?
if i'm not mistaken than madVr doesn't have a working auto detection for film oder video mode deinterlancing.
i don't think so anymore it should be a problem with lavfilter. it is working with ffdshow so it is very unlikely a problem in madVR and the automatic detection should have anything to do with it. madVR gets an progressive stream from lav when yadif is used so this detection shouldn't be used what so ever.

Quote:
But madVR's deinterlacing film mode does work in "PAL 3" case. It gives the better result (http://i63.tinypic.com/sfi168.jpg) than madVR's deinterlacing video mode (http://i68.tinypic.com/x7nva.jpg). Is the source telecine?
i don't think so. a short sample will tell me.

Quote:
I tried YADIF deinterlacing in ffdshow - madVR recognizes double frame rate. So the problem is perhaps in LAV. Also, the picture I got with it is the same I got with LAV (worse than I got with madVR's film mode deinterlacing). Does it mean that YADIF deinterlacing algorythm is objectively worse in this case and the bug report will be senseless?
it is impossible to use SVP on a interlanced stream so YADIF is very important for AMD user and CUVID is broken on windows 10 and has some other limitations so there is currently "only" yadif for SVP.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 00:04   #35043  |  Link
GCRaistlin

madshi, 2 feature requests:
  1. The possibility to choose constant OSD background color. When the video sample has too bright background (like the sky) it's really hard to read OSD from a distance (on the projector).
  2. The delay before madVR switches the display to the appropriate mode. When I try to drop the player's window to the second monitor it often gets dropped back on the primary one because of immediate mode switch.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 8th January 2016, 00:28   #35044  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
i don't think so anymore it should be a problem with lavfilter. it is working with ffdshow so it is very unlikely a problem in madVR and the automatic detection should have anything to do with it. madVR gets an progressive stream from lav when yadif is used so this detection shouldn't be used what so ever.
We're still talking about "PAL 1" case, aren't we? YADIF is off for it. So I'm not sure what LAV problem you're talking about.

Quote:
i don't think so. a short sample will tell me.
PAL from http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...69#post1752069

Quote:
it is impossible to use SVP on a interlanced stream so YADIF is very important for AMD user and CUVID is broken on windows 10 and has some other limitations so there is currently "only" yadif for SVP.
What is SVP?
YADIF is very important, yes, but, as I said above, sometimes it gives worse results than madVR's film mode: http://i66.tinypic.com/15yk9c.jpg (compare it to madVR's deinterlacing screenshots here). Is it the issue it is worth to report of?

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 8th January 2016, 00:40   #35045  |  Link
nussman

madVR film mode can (nativ progressive content) restore the original frames. Result is perfect.
Don't know which mode LAV uses for yadif, but I dont think there is an auto film/video detection and so it is in "video mode"?
"Video Deinterlacer" do not give you always a perfect results for film content.
Imho this works as it should.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 01:25   #35046  |  Link
Plutotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
That's a very interesting link you got there, thanks.
Regarding Dolby Vision, here is a very good info:
http://hdguru.com/dolby-vision-tries...t-bar-for-hdr/
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolog...hite-paper.pdf

Will it be technically possible to achieve accurate playback of the UHD BD mastered in Dolby Vision using MPC-HC/LAVfilters/madvr?
Old 8th January 2016, 04:14   #35047  |  Link
x7007

so if I understand correctly if I have philips 7007 which doesn't support full . should I select limited in the nvcp and madvr full ? what about setting in potplayer or mpdn. ? I get crushed black when I use that . black is too black
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 05:21   #35048  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD View Post
Hi, I experience lots of dropped frames after switching between fullscreen and windowed modes, the way I describe below:

What I do is this: start playback-> all is fine, go fullscreen -> everything is still fine, then go back to windowed mode -> all still fine -> go back to full screen -> now lots of frames dropped, it does not recover itself unless I pause the video, and then resume. With 0.88.12 it was enough to pause once, and then playback would be smooth again after resuming; with 0.88.19 once is often not enough, I have to pause twice. It looks like the render queue does not recover staying at 1-3 or 2-3, even though the decoder, subtitle and upload queues fill up to their normal stats. The present queue also ends up with the same fill status as the render queue.

Some details: I'm using MPC, with its internal filters for h264 playback of mkvs, it happens on both 8 bit and 10 bit content, irrespective of whether I use software or hardware decoding. Happens only when using D3D11 and fullscreen exclusive mode. If I use full screen windowed mode, or I use the D3D9 renderer, all is fine.

I happen to have a Sony TV which accepts 12 bit color input. When using D3D11 and fullscreen exclusive mode, the TV receives 12bit per channel input (I can see this by pressing the Info key on the remote).

Have not changed the graphics drivers since a long time ago, it's still version 347.25 on a GTX980 for me.
I have this same issue but usually it doesn't happen in 8 bit, it seems only with 10 bit, in my laptop windows 8.1 it doesn't happen with same settings, only in windows 10 .
Old 8th January 2016, 05:29   #35049  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
so if I understand correctly if I have philips 7007 which doesn't support full . should I select limited in the nvcp and madvr full ? what about setting in potplayer or mpdn. ? I get crushed black when I use that . black is too black
most philips support fullrange RGB in PC mode if it isn't to old.
Old 8th January 2016, 05:45   #35050  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
most philips support fullrange RGB in PC mode if it isn't to old.

If I use Full-Range I get crushed black, everything just become like what's called black crush, shadows just doesn't shown as shadows anymore.

Another question about Exclusive mode :

When entering and exiting FSE , frame dropped suppose to happen and shown in madvr OSD Statistics ? Because when entering and exiting FSE those frame dropped becomes and issue when the video try to reset itself and play the video like it is lagging behind and I have repeating frames over and over again while the render queue is dropping. even the Madvr OSD is repeating itself with the numbers you can see the numbers before in an instant while everything is stuttering. it happens as long as D3D11 FSE is enabled no matter if it's 8 bit or 10 bit. The only thing that fix it is using "Delay playback start until render queue is full" and "delay playback start after seeking too" which shows that the issue is with the render queue like I said before. but what is causing this issue only in windows 10 with D3D11 FSE ? can someone please help with this, I've been trying older madvr version , but nothing changed. Even with Delay both selected I still have dropped frames while entering FSE and exiting. I'm using CPU queue size : 16 and GPU queue size : 12 , would other numbers fix the issue ? or what could the render queue settings should I focused on. I tried to play with the prerender but 3 suppose to be the best.

pretty please someone , it was working great before , I didn't need to enable delay playback and delay after seek . I don't know what changed. I even tried older nvidia driver which didn't fix the issue. MPDN D3D11 FSE have no issues at all going and exiting.

In the end it could be an bug in potplayer, but why would same version works fine in windows 8.1 and not windows 10 ?

someone else had the same issue : https://www.doom9.org/showthread.php...72#post1730672

as a check to the post withe the Cpu and Gpu queue https://www.doom9.org/showthread.php...58#post1730558

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...42#post1752242
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...57#post1752157

Last edited by x7007; 8th January 2016 at 05:58.
Old 8th January 2016, 08:23   #35051  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
If I use Full-Range I get crushed black, everything just become like what's called black crush, shadows just doesn't shown as shadows anymore.
Go to TV's color settings and see if you can change Black level. On some TVs its Low by default and needs to be changed to High for full range.
In sum, for RGB 0-255 you need PC mode for HDMI input and High black level in color.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 10:04   #35052  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post
Go to TV's color settings and see if you can change Black level. On some TVs its Low by default and needs to be changed to High for full range.
In sum, for RGB 0-255 you need PC mode for HDMI input and High black level in color.
I don't have any option to change the black level. what philips tv brand do you know can do that ? that's what interesting me , cause I checked reviews over many philips tv models and never seen this option.
Old 8th January 2016, 11:02   #35053  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I don't have any option to change the black level. what philips tv brand do you know can do that ? that's what interesting me , cause I checked reviews over many philips tv models and never seen this option.
yes usually only PC mode is full range.
and yeah there are issues with contrast/ brightness which can clip a lot of black levels.
Old 8th January 2016, 11:31   #35054  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
yes usually only PC mode is full range.
and yeah there are issues with contrast/ brightness which can clip a lot of black levels.
I have Game mode and Computer mode, but game mode is like 0-255 you use Limited . and Computer mode is like it turned the brightness up and using Full range makes it look like Game mode. but if you go 3D mode then it revert back to Game mode automatically and you are left with crushed black again.
Old 8th January 2016, 15:29   #35055  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
I don't have any option to change the black level. what philips tv brand do you know can do that ?
Sorry, I don't have any experience with philips. I have 2 LG TVs and both have options to change black level either in PC and non-PC modes.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 09:20   #35056  |  Link

Can we move the levels discussion to its own topic?
It's not specific to madVR at all and has filled several pages of this topic.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 19:35   #35057  |  Link
James Freeman

I love madVR.
Old 9th January 2016, 22:04   #35058  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
I love madVR.
Well said.

It's so cool to have my SD movies from the 30s and 40s all look like Blu-ray restorations. Thanks madshi.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 23:31   #35059  |  Link
Della

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Well said.

It's so cool to have my SD movies from the 30s and 40s all look like Blu-ray restorations. Thanks madshi.
If you're getting Blu-Ray like SD upscaling, I definitely need a better GPU or better settings!

GTX-960 upscale to 2160 sure ain't a blu-Ray experience for me.

Della is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 01:05   #35060  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della View Post
If you're getting Blu-Ray like SD upscaling, I definitely need a better GPU or better settings!

GTX-960 upscale to 2160 sure ain't a blu-Ray experience for me.

He is probably experiencing this with SD -> 1080P upscaling. I don't think it looks like a Blu-ray, but the chain of Image Doubling + SuperRes(3) + crispen edges(1.0) looks pretty impressive to me.

The dilemma madVR has created for this user is that I enjoy Kodi as a media frontend but only the defunct DSPlayer is compatible with madVR. In a year or less, I will be forced to choose between madVR and Kodi. It's madVR, of course.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling