Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 25th May 2003, 12:53   #101  |  Link
Sigmatador

Quote:
[i]ps
Im almost tempted to use 7 (simpleidct) myself...even though tests have shown that iDCT accuracy doesn't seem to make any real kind of a difference to the eye when mpeg-2 decoding, maybe it will make a difference to the encoder (even if very very tiny)...Hmmm, I may have to check.
i hoped you officially recommend that ^^
Old 25th May 2003, 13:01   #102  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

thanks for the clarification.
i'm probably going to do some speed test soon, right now i don't have any time for it though.

thanks for your great work
steVe
Old 25th May 2003, 16:30   #103  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

NIc, could you verify from reading the code that:

1> Manual entry of idct in mpeg2source line always overrides a Def file idct entry.
2> If multiple DEF files exist, such as in working dir, plugin dir and/or a dir in which a loadplugin is directed to, which DEF file will be used? [I assume the loadplugin dir]

I am learning to never assume the obvious, hence the question. As always, a big thanks for this work to you and Tom.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2003, 17:58   #104  |  Link
CruNcher

@ Nic Trbarry and Shodan
absolute great work you do

here are my Speed and Size results PSNR results based against idct2 coming soon

nullspeed in XviD was used XviD itself used SimpleIDCT
Test Sequence is a 1501 frame 640x480 capture @ 25 fps DVB
for size test encoded @ q2 no other features Simple Profile

System: Still my good old P4 1.8 Williamete

Code:
idct1=compression time 00:01:55.756 (12.97fps) 38,2 MB (40.080.896 bytes)
idct2=compression time 00:01:55.748 (12.97fps) 38,2 MB (40.080.896 bytes)
idct3=compression time 00:01:58.076 (12.71fps) 38,3 MB (40.178.176 bytes)
idct4=compression time 00:02:14.946 (11.12fps) 38,3 MB (40.197.120 bytes)
idct5=compression time 00:01:52.496 (13.34fps) 38,2 MB (40.080.896 bytes)
idct6=compression time 00:01:55.920 (12.95fps) 38,2 MB (40.129.536 bytes)
idct7=compression time 00:01:55.783 (12.96fps) 38,1 MB (39.989.760 bytes)
Ok this test is somewhere flawed cause i estimate that idct2 is the best idct here but that has not to be true quality wise

Code:
idct1=106.0153
idct2=106.0153 same as (infinite) no difference
idct3=58.5690
idct4=58.4507
idct5=106.0153
idct6=59.1600
idct7=58.4504
idct1,2 and 5 are equal and only differ in speed as shown above
idct3,4,6 and 7 show major differences where idct6 is the nearest to idct1 and idct7 is the farthest

if you do some fuzzy logic you could say that the one with the biggest size is the best quality wise and the one with the smallest the badest but this must not be the true have to do more research to compare them in a more mathematical way could maybe somebody help here ?

Last edited by CruNcher; 25th May 2003 at 20:25.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2003, 18:59   #105  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

How about making the decoder more fault-tolerant toward streams that contain drops (HDTV) ?
Old 25th May 2003, 19:12   #106  |  Link
CruNcher

@ Blight
i know for sure that MarcFD did that for DVB Streams so it should also work for HDTV i think ?
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2003, 20:22   #107  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
How about making the decoder more fault-tolerant toward streams that contain drops (HDTV) ?
I put conditional code in MPEG2DEC2 (but not MPEG2DEC3) to set an error trap before decoding each frame and just return GIGO if it failed on that frame. But this would only run when compiled for debug for some reason (thus slower) and could crash vdub when you exited after encoding. So I only used it for problem cases.

- Tom

edit: What I should have done if not so lazy is on errors return a copy of the previously decoded good frame.

Last edited by trbarry; 25th May 2003 at 20:24.
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2003, 21:17   #108  |  Link
Nic

@CruNcher:
Thanks loads for those tests Dont understand why skal's was slightly slower...Oh well, good to have for completeness.
Looks like SimpleiDCT might be useful-ish though
Very interesting second results, idct=7 should be more accurate than idct=2 (idct=2 is almost exactly what XviD used to use (intel one with peter gubanovs changes)). Therefore it appears the difference between there output is quite large ? Or am I misreading the results?

@Tom: SimpleiDCT uses permutated data as its input, (its all in the new file idctnew.cpp (or newidct.cpp, I forget which). Meaning it goes through a little "for" loop to begin with? Is that easy to speed up with assembly or should the compiler already be doing a pretty good job?

@Blight: If you have a stream thats corrupt when using mpeg2dec3.dll and can upload a little bit, I can try and work on it. Otherwise it might be quite difficult for me to fix anything.

@DDogg: In my best homer simpson voice: "I don't know". Ill have to look that up myself. I didn't really like all the override code in there so I tried to ignore it. But ill check and post back.

Cheers,
-Nic
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2003, 23:24   #109  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
@Tom: SimpleiDCT uses permutated data as its input, (its all in the new file idctnew.cpp (or newidct.cpp, I forget which). Meaning it goes through a little "for" loop to begin with? Is that easy to speed up with assembly or should the compiler already be doing a pretty good job?
Yep. It would almost certainly be faster in assembler even if you just unrolled the whole loop and moved 1 word randomly at a time since there would be no subscript calculations or loop control.

I'm not sure yet if there are mmx games that would go faster yet. But there probably are.

- Tom

edit: (after further head scratching) ...

It would probably be faster yet if the wrapper was not called at all. Instead modify Simple_idct to rearrange the parms onto the stack. Also the idct could probably be changed to just output the values into the correct place so you didn't have to copy them again on the way back. It looks like there is a simple output pointer in edx that could be changed about half way through and the values do not have to be rearranged on output.

But I won't be able to do this soon myself.

Last edited by trbarry; 26th May 2003 at 00:01.
Old 28th May 2003, 05:48   #110  |  Link
Kyo
Anime Team!

a Noob question....

If I have an Athlon XP (so, no sse2) and choose the iDCT = 5 (for P4) what iDCT is used?... this will crash? (I write this because this not crash my cpu)

When I run DebugView it only say "Overiding iDCT With: 5" and the encoding process is ok, strange I think

BTW Nic,Tbarry,sh0dan Thanks for the new Toys
Old 28th May 2003, 07:24   #111  |  Link
JohnMK

I used idct=5 by mistake on my Athlon XP. Worked fine. I suspect it does a CPUID and when it fails to see SSE2, doesn't use SSE2 featurettes. It may revert to whatever your CPU is capable of, e.g. idct=2.

UNLESS the override code is incorrect and not working. In which case, we're probably all using idct=2 without knowing it.

By the way, where can I find the override definition file? That's my preferred method of overriding; I don't like to tweak the commandline because then it's one more thing my frontend can't do for me with absolutely zero invervention.

Last edited by JohnMK; 28th May 2003 at 07:38.
JohnMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2003, 07:25   #112  |  Link
Nic

Override will be set to 5....but then be re-adjusted down to 2. Because SSE2 is not supported on your chip. I thought this was better than MPEG2Dec3 just crashing

-Nic
Old 28th May 2003, 07:39   #113  |  Link
JohnMK

But Nic, you said up there you don't know if override is working.
JohnMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2003, 07:47   #114  |  Link
Nic

Where did I say that? And it depends what you mean by override. If you mean the idct you set in the mpeg2source line then that definitely works...but as for the .def file, I honestly cant be sure because I havent tested that bit, nor did I change any of that code, so I just "assume" it works

-Nic
Old 28th May 2003, 18:25   #115  |  Link
trbarry

I'm pretty sure it crashed in an early version of MPEG2DEC2 and I changed it to do pretty much what Nic said. It should drop back to SSEMMX and then to just MMX.

- Tom
Old 28th May 2003, 19:37   #116  |  Link
Kyo
Anime Team!

@devs
thx for the answer, this explain the behavior.
Old 29th May 2003, 09:15   #117  |  Link
yaz
n00b ever

default parms?

dear devels!

would anyone take care of the description of the plugin? there's one included but (imho) it's outta date. e.g. it says def.idct=0(=read from d2v).
would any of u list the available parms & their default values? i'm esp interested in moderate_h/v as it seems to be always on & i'm getting more&more convinced that it's responsible for some strange artifacting on decoding. i've been unable to figure out (from the readme) how to switch it off safely.

thx
y

Last edited by yaz; 29th May 2003 at 09:38.
yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2003, 10:27   #118  |  Link
Nic

"description of the plugin" ???
Do you mean the .def file?

-Nic
Old 29th May 2003, 10:44   #119  |  Link
yaz
n00b ever

nic :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic
"description of the plugin" ???
ok, let's make it clear. there's an mpeg2dec3.html included, created (afaik) by marcfd, describing what&how is going on. that's what i call 'description', but we can call it however u like :-) imho, the infos in there should be actualized. that's all.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic
Do you mean the .def file?
say so. it was incld in the former versions but not in the latest one.

anyway, right now i'd be sufficed with the trick of swiching off moderate_h/v safely. what's the way of doing it? btw, is it operable at all?

thx
y

ps. i use this filter with pleasure&success (thx for your efforts!) but at a moment it's occured to me whether i know what am i doing xactly :-)
yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2003, 11:10   #120  |  Link
Nic

The .html is upto date and correct. I didn't like the .def file mainly because people would include it with the .dll and not realise that any changes in there would always override the d2v file etc.
(And it just confused matters...you can just use an old .def file if you wish. But I do not support its use)

The moderate_v & moderate_h aren't turned on unless you turn on post-processing. They are the variables that control the strength of post-processing (exactly the same as they are in my XviD DShow filter).

-Nic