Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 26th February 2002, 11:12   #1  |  Link
Jimi

Programmable Playback

I want to put 8 short Video clips on a few identical DVD-R but program the playback order on each disc (differently each time I play it). Or even use Random. Using Reel DVD to author the disc, I can't get the Pioneer standalone player to go into program mode or use Random.

Is this a limitation of DVD-R General Media or is it my authoring program ? Or is it me ? Could I do it in Scenarist ?

Would greatly appreciate some help with this one.
Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2002, 05:21   #2  |  Link
auenf

Re: Programmable Playback

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimi
I want to put 8 short Video clips on a few identical DVD-R but program the playback order on each disc (differently each time I play it). Or even use Random. Using Reel DVD to author the disc, I can't get the Pioneer standalone player to go into program mode or use Random.

Is this a limitation of DVD-R General Media or is it my authoring program ? Or is it me ? Could I do it in Scenarist ?

Would greatly appreciate some help with this one.
depending on the DVD player random is handled differently.

some do random chapters in the current VTS, others do random VTS.

the pioneer 535 here ive only seen it do random chapters in the current VTS, altho DVDVirtuoso can only create 1 VTS.

what you might want to try (on a rw preferably) is put all the clips in the one VTS with chapter points separating them, and try the random in your player.

to do random in the authoring software, you need command sequences.

Enf...
auenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2002, 11:33   #3  |  Link
Jimi

Thanks very much for your reply. I must stress that I am interested in Random Playback but what I really want to do is have a disc with 8 short movies on it and choose which of the movies to show each time I play the disc. On one occasion,for example,I might show only movies 3,5 and 6 looping. So really I want to program the player, not initiate Random.

Thanks to Jestorius, I realise that Reel DVD can not help me here...This has to be a Scenarist project, right, a program I do not currently have although I have made a simple disc on Scenarist 2.0 before.

If you have any suggestions about how I can author a disc which I can program I would be very grateful ( using Scenarist ?). I don't have much experience but this is important to me and I really want to learn.

I have my 8 M2Vs as seperate tracks and also as one long M2V which I split with Chapter points in Reel DVD.

Very grateful for any pointers.

mjtxxx@hotmail.com
Old 27th February 2002, 11:48   #4  |  Link
Jestorius

It isn't easy to guess what you wanna do with this disc.
"each time I play the disc" - each time you insert the disc or each time the loop beginns to play?

If you have a structure than you have a x-number of variations to author.

Make a Menu in the FistPlay with unvisible buttons. Each button has a number. It can be a motion menu so it isn't look like a menu. Make x-number buttons. Set the end action as you wanna determine to each sequence.
You can do it in ReelDVD.

I don't have any smart solution without advanced programming.

Last edited by Jestorius; 27th February 2002 at 12:01.
Jestorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2002, 12:17   #5  |  Link
Jimi

Thanks for reply. I think I am making some confusion, I can explain what I want to do with the disk :

I am using the disc to make shows for the public. I will make three identical discs and show them at the same time through three video monitors. There are eight short movies on the disc. When I set the show up, I want to be able to decide which movies should play back from each disc. For one show, I may need to show movies 1 and 2 looping on Monitor 1 and movies 6 and 7 on Monitor 2. The choice of movies would be different each time I set up the show. This is why I cannot have a preditermined order run from a menu and need to program the player.

I don't understand what level of structure I need on the disc to acess the programming features of the standalone playback unit. Could it be something to do with GPRM settings? No chance to see anything like that in Reel DVD !

I tried with the movies as seperate tracks and as 1 long M2V with chapter points - 'next' worked fine but trying to program the disc remained impossible.
Old 27th February 2002, 12:41   #6  |  Link
Jestorius

Sorry, DVD isn't the right media for this showtime.
Old 27th February 2002, 13:08   #7  |  Link
Jimi

...and with VCD it's so easy...
Old 27th February 2002, 13:21   #8  |  Link
Jestorius

This kind of showtime needs a system like Bossanova for Tv-studios.
It costs you more than you can....
Old 27th February 2002, 13:37   #9  |  Link
Jimi

You are right about affording stuff !

Can you answer, though, what the conditions of the authoring must be in order to allow any access to the programming functions of the player ?
Old 27th February 2002, 14:07   #10  |  Link
Jestorius

Sorry, I can't help you with this.
Because you wanna make something I never did before.

Here is a trick:

Make only Motion Menus with your video-clipps. Each of the clip gonna be a background for a MotionMenu with 8 unvisible buttons on each of it.

Fistplay(MotionMenu 8 buttons, each button has a number. You can use DVDMaestro, if not...,I don't have time) -> Each menu-button is linked to other motionmenu etc. You can assign timeout for each menu. If you don't choose a menubutton than it goes to the next menu which is a motinmenu, a movie.

Can you follow..

So, each motionmenu (videoclipp) has a timeout (the time of the videoclipp). If you push a number on the remote it goes to an other menu, if not after timeout it jumps to the end-action-selection.

GoodLuck
Old 27th February 2002, 14:14   #11  |  Link
Jestorius

Just one more thing abouth menubuttons.

In DVDMaestro, menu editor . You can see in the midle of the navigation editor a number. It is a corresponding number to the button.
Old 27th February 2002, 14:20   #12  |  Link
Jimi

Thanks for helping, I certainly learned some stuff.
Non-Linear Access from a Versatile disc, it's got to happen.
I'll post if I get anywhere interesting with this.
Old 28th February 2002, 03:13   #13  |  Link
auenf

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimi
Thanks very much for your reply. I must stress that I am interested in Random Playback but what I really want to do is have a disc with 8 short movies on it and choose which of the movies to show each time I play the disc. On one occasion,for example,I might show only movies 3,5 and 6 looping. So really I want to program the player, not initiate Random.

Thanks to Jestorius, I realise that Reel DVD can not help me here...This has to be a Scenarist project, right, a program I do not currently have although I have made a simple disc on Scenarist 2.0 before.

If you have any suggestions about how I can author a disc which I can program I would be very grateful ( using Scenarist ?). I don't have much experience but this is important to me and I really want to learn.

I have my 8 M2Vs as seperate tracks and also as one long M2V which I split with Chapter points in Reel DVD.

Very grateful for any pointers.

mjtxxx@hotmail.com
use a playlist then if you want a specific playback order.

Enf...
auenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2002, 06:05   #14  |  Link
Jimi

The thing is, I need to change the order of playback each time I use the disc. A playlist will just give me one fixed order.

On VCDs burned in Roxio Platinum, had no problem programming the Pioneer standalone to program-play back the tracks in any order I chose...
Old 28th February 2002, 06:31   #15  |  Link
Jestorius

How did you program the standalone from the VCD? You didn't. You made a playlist in the standalone player.

The problem is that you want to control the random playback each and every given time. It is like to make a playlist for every time you play the disc.

The only way to make it as I sad: Author a MotionMenus only DVD with invisible buttons. Define the time-out for the menu. It is the play-time of the background video. Define end-action for the menu.

With the remote you can jump to other MotionMenu which is playing an other movie. Like a disc-jockey you can play what ever you like.
Old 28th February 2002, 11:28   #16  |  Link
easy2Bcheesy

A video randomiser would be a very simple thing to do in Maestro. First of all, set up a GPRM to set random play on/off.

Now, set up a command sequence. After having checked to see if random play is set on, randomise another GPRMs between 1 and 8, then jump to each video depending on the value of the GPRM. If random play isn't on, have it jump back to the main menu.

Now just set the end point of each video to jump to the randomiser command sequence.

The concept of being able to set up a playlist via the authoring software is too complex, even for Maestro or especially the more complicated Scenarist. This is because every conceivable combination of video orders would have to be programmed. And the interface you'd need to produce on-screen would be just as torturous to program.

The idea of having each of the eight movies set up as motion menus with invisible buttons is an interesting idea, but better yet would be to use buttons over video in the VTS. This way you wouldn't be limited to the 1gig limit on the menu system.

You could use invisible buttons, but you'd only have four possible destinations (for Up, Down, Left and Right) meaning you couldn't access all 7 of the remaining other videos. Maybe you could have a discrete number of buttons on-screen as the videos run?
easy2Bcheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2002, 11:52   #17  |  Link
Jestorius

It is a very good solution but he wants to control the random play.

28.02.2002 1,2,3,5,6,7,5 loop
01.03.2002 2,3,8,7,6,8,2,4,5 loop
next time 1,1,1,2,3,8, etc.
It's not possible I guess.

With my suggestion he could push the number pad on the remote and jump to any of the 8 movies. If you don't define a Up, Down etc to the menu-button than the only way to make action is to push the corresponding number. The buttons are invisible so nobody can see that it's a menu.

Last edited by Jestorius; 28th February 2002 at 13:23.
Old 28th February 2002, 13:25   #18  |  Link
Jestorius

easy2Bcheesy

Can you post the randomiser command sequence here.
Old 28th February 2002, 14:08   #19  |  Link
easy2Bcheesy

Ahhhhhhh yes, I get it now - using the 1-8 buttons but keeping them invisible. Yes that would work.

Off the top of my head

Jump to Main Menu if GP0=0
RAN GP1(8)
Jump to Movie1 if GP=1
Jump to Movie2 if GP=2
Jump to Movie3 if GP=3
Jump to Movie4 if GP=4
Jump to Movie5 if GP=5
Jump to Movie6 if GP=6
Jump to Movie7 if GP=7
Jump to Movie8

In this case, GP0 is the flag to say whether the randomiser should be on or off, 0 for not, anything else for on.

GP1 is the randomised GPRM.

Simple!
easy2Bcheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2002, 14:16   #20  |  Link
Jestorius

That's nice, thank you.