Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 26th May 2016, 18:37   #41  |  Link
manolito

Hi Marius,

any plans for an update?
I'm not too interested in new features (I like it very much as it is now...), but the software does not work with current versions of FFmpeg any more.

And FFmpeg did improve its built-in AAC encoder quite a bit during he last year. It's status is no longer "experimental", so this parameter is not needed any more. Maybe this is the reason why current versions crash with the older command line parameters.

Whatever, thanks again for this nice software, I use it all the time...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 23:44   #42  |  Link
manolito

libfdk_aac for dmMediaConverter 1.80

Looks like development is on hold - it has not been updated in 9 months (not enough donations I guess...).

Anyways, this is still my favorite MPEG 4 GUI, about the only thing I was missing is better AAC audio support (only integrated AAC encoder is supported).

So here comes my little tool which enables the Fraunhofer libfdk_aac encoder. Here's the Readme:

Quote:
Enabling the Fraunhofer libfdk_aac encoder under dmMediaConverter 1.80

Copy the files from the appropriate folder into the "i386-win32" subfolder
under the dmMediaConverter folder (overwriting the existing files).

Note:
For AAC VBR mode only values from 1 to 5 are supported. 1 is the lowest
quality, 5 is the highest quality.

For more information about AAC encoding with ffmpeg see here:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/AAC

The ffmpeg builds and the libfdk_aac.dll files come from Sherpya's
Mplayer website:
http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer

Enjoy...
manolito

Download here:
http://www50.zippyshare.com/v/HIytQzXi/file.html

Cheers
manolito

//EDIT//
Added 64-bit versions. Causes a speed increase of more than 10% under a 64-bit Operating System. Please redownload...
Note: Does not work if the source is an AviSynth script using a 32-bit AviSynth version.

//EDIT2//
After some listening tests I added the "-cutoff 18000" parameter for CBR audio bitrates above 128k and for VBR mode 4.

Last edited by manolito; 21st June 2016 at 23:22.
Old 16th June 2016, 13:15   #43  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Hi Marius,

any plans for an update?
I'm not too interested in new features (I like it very much as it is now...), but the software does not work with current versions of FFmpeg any more.

And FFmpeg did improve its built-in AAC encoder quite a bit during he last year. It's status is no longer "experimental", so this parameter is not needed any more. Maybe this is the reason why current versions crash with the older command line parameters.

Whatever, thanks again for this nice software, I use it all the time...

Cheers
manolito
Hi, you are right...have been 10 months since an update, little time for it, i have only corrected some bugs. Sorry.
But what do you mean that the app is not working with the latest ffmpeg? I use it with 3.0.2. Could you please explain?
Thanks.

P.S. Do you mean the "-strict experimental" option? I could remove it.

Last edited by mdalacu; 16th June 2016 at 13:56.
mdalacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 14:58   #44  |  Link
manolito

Hi Marius,

I have no idea if it is the "-strict experimental" option or if it is something else...

Could also be my ancient computer. It runs WinXP, the CPU is an old Intel Coppermine without SSE2 support.

It happens with ffmpeg point releases 2.86 and 3.00 (and higher). Of course the Win32 static versions from Zeranoe. The versions up to 3.00 still support WinXP, higher versions need to be patched. And these versions run perfectly on my machine under AVStoDVD, DVDStyler and some other applications.

When I try to convert a small FLV clip it works nicely using the ffmpeg version which ships with dmMediaConverter 1.80. The following command line is used:
Quote:
"E:\Programme\dmMediaConverter\bin\i386-win32\ffmpeg.exe" -fflags +genpts -y -i "F:\Download\test.flv" -map 0:0 -c:v:0 libx264 -preset:v:0 medium -crf:v:0 23 -map 0:1 -c:a:0 aac -strict experimental -b:a:0 160k -metadata:s:a:0 "language=unknown" -shortest "i:\test.mkv"
When I replace ffmpeg.exe and ffprobe.exe with one of the newer versions, the job fails without any error message in the output window. The output window looks like this:
Quote:
ffmpeg version 2.8.6 Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 5.3.0 (GCC)
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-w32threads --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libdcadec --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libilbc --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-lzma --enable-decklink --enable-zlib
libavutil 54. 31.100 / 54. 31.100
libavcodec 56. 60.100 / 56. 60.100
libavformat 56. 40.101 / 56. 40.101
libavdevice 56. 4.100 / 56. 4.100
libavfilter 5. 40.101 / 5. 40.101
libswscale 3. 1.101 / 3. 1.101
libswresample 1. 2.101 / 1. 2.101
libpostproc 53. 3.100 / 53. 3.100
Input #0, flv, from 'F:\Download\test2.flv':
Metadata:
audiosize : 2735460
canSeekToEnd : true
datasize : 18451327
videosize : 15366116
hasAudio : true
hasCuePoints : false
hasKeyframes : true
hasMetadata : true
hasVideo : true
lasttimestamp : 330
metadatacreator : flvtool++ (Facebook, Motion project, dweatherford)
totalframes : 8264
encoder : Lavf57.25.100
Duration: 00:05:30.58, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 446 kb/s
Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p, 588x392 [SAR 1:1 DAR 3:2], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 50 tbc
Stream #0:1: Audio: aac (LC), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 64 kb/s

I have not tested this using a different computer, mainly because I have switched to Sherpya's ffmpeg builds which allow me to use libfdk_aac.

Cheers
manolito
Old 17th June 2016, 02:27   #45  |  Link
manolito

Did some more tests, this time using my Win7 64-bit notebook.

Quote:
Could also be my ancient computer. It runs WinXP, the CPU is an old Intel Coppermine without SSE2 support.
Seems to be true, under Win7 64bit using the latest ffmpeg builds (32-bit static) works without any problems.

I also made an interesting discovery about 64-bit ffmpeg versions. dmMedia Converter (which is 32-bit only for Windows) has no problems using 64-bit versions of ffmpeg.exe and ffprobe.exe. The speed increase is not placebo, it is real. On my notebook I consistently got speed improvements of more than 10% using 64-bit ffmpeg versions.

Cheers
manolito
Old 17th June 2016, 06:06   #46  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Did some more tests, this time using my Win7 64-bit notebook.

Seems to be true, under Win7 64bit using the latest ffmpeg builds (32-bit static) works without any problems.

I also made an interesting discovery about 64-bit ffmpeg versions. dmMedia Converter (which is 32-bit only for Windows) has no problems using 64-bit versions of ffmpeg.exe and ffprobe.exe. The speed increase is not placebo, it is real. On my notebook I consistently got speed improvements of more than 10% using 64-bit ffmpeg versions.

Cheers
manolito
Sorry but i have no ideea. I thought that was from that option regarding AAC, anyway since now native AAC it is final i have removed that flag.
In the next version i will drop support for Windws XP and Linux on 32 bit e... My application i think that will still run on XP but the supplied ffmpeg will not, so it will have to be replaced with an patched version.
You are right you can use 64 bit ffmpeg with my 32 bit win app without any problems.
I can give you an EXE wtih "-strict experimental" option removed and some other bugs removed to see if it does any good but i don't think so. If you want it just say..:-)
Old 17th June 2016, 18:23   #47  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalacu View Post
I can give you an EXE wtih "-strict experimental" option removed and some other bugs removed to see if it does any good but i don't think so. If you want it just say..:-)
Of course I do...
Old 17th June 2016, 20:54   #48  |  Link
manolito

While I'm at it, may I ask for a new feature in the next version?

Can you implement storing the main window size and position upon shutdown, and restoring them on startup?

Right now the lower part of the main window is cut off on my low resolution 14" notebook. Changing the link properties and specify to start the program maximized does not help, the software does not obey.

Cheers
manolito
Old 21st June 2016, 07:11   #49  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
While I'm at it, may I ask for a new feature in the next version?

Can you implement storing the main window size and position upon shutdown, and restoring them on startup?

Right now the lower part of the main window is cut off on my low resolution 14" notebook. Changing the link properties and specify to start the program maximized does not help, the software does not obey.

Cheers
manolito
Hi, it could be done in a feature version, right now i have made that the window will be displayed at 0,0 screen coordinates, i hope that will help your problem a little bit.
I put a link to dmmediaconverter.exe, just overwrite the old one. Please do not distribute it it is a work in progress version.
Please share your thoughts about it and notify me when you have dowloaded tha file so i could delete it.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...UwxVE9vWHhBU0k
Old 21st June 2016, 11:20   #50  |  Link
manolito

Thanks very much...

Download is finished, will start playing with it right away.

Cheers
manolito
Old 21st June 2016, 14:52   #51  |  Link
manolito

Test results:
Everything looks cool. Except for the window position and the removed "-strict experimental" parameter I could not see any difference to the current stable version 1.80.

The behavior under WinXP also has not changed: It still does not work using current ffmpeg versions (Zeranoe 32-bit static builds). And of course the ffmpeg version which ships with dmMediaConverter 1.80 does not work with the test version due to the missing "-strict experimental" parameter.

I also had to modify my little libfdk_aac plugin from this post:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...11#post1770411
to make it universal (already uploaded).

Cheers
manolito
Old 21st June 2016, 15:57   #52  |  Link
GMJCZP

Manolito:
I have noticed that, at least, to convert mp3 the ffmpeg zeranoe patched xp version is slightly faster than ffmpeg sherpya version. What is this about? It's for --disable-w32threads in zeranoe build?

GMJCZP's Arsenal

Last edited by GMJCZP; 21st June 2016 at 16:09.
GMJCZP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 19:13   #53  |  Link
manolito

Sorry I have no idea...

You did not say if you just used ffmpeg.exe and ffprobe.exe from Sherpya's build, or if you used the files from my libfdk_aac plugin. If you used my plugin, then you are using a different aac encoder, and the plugin also intercepts and changes the ffmpeg command line. This will add a little overhead at the start of the conversion. If you check the "ffmpeg.bat" file in the plugin "Source" folder you will notice that it uses a nested "For" loop which makes about 160 iterations before actually calling ffmpeg.exe.

The reason I switched to Sherpya's builds is that I can use libfdk_aac instead of the ffmpeg native aac encoder.

I mostly convert captured TV content (DVB-T), and until recently my target format was DVD. But now I have a small streaming box (Xstreamer) which handles AVC/AAC clips, so I decided to change my target format to AVC/AAC in an MKV container. I tried a couple of different conversion GUIs for X264, and I found that dmMediaConverter meets my needs almost perfecty. The exception was the built-in aac encoder (I really do not want to convert the audio separately and then pipe the result into ffmpeg). I know that libfdk_aac is not as good as Qaac, but it sure is good enough for me (after removing the default low-pass filter).

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 21st June 2016 at 23:23.
Old 21st June 2016, 23:54   #54  |  Link
GMJCZP

Only I use ffmepg.exe in CLI mode. The test I did was with mp3 and aac with lib fdk aac from sherpya, not yours.

PD: I prefer fhgaac and fdkaac over qaac in cbr and low bitrates (< 128 kb).

GMJCZP's Arsenal

Last edited by GMJCZP; 22nd June 2016 at 00:14.
GMJCZP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 11:07   #55  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Sorry I have no idea...

You did not say if you just used ffmpeg.exe and ffprobe.exe from Sherpya's build, or if you used the files from my libfdk_aac plugin. If you used my plugin, then you are using a different aac encoder, and the plugin also intercepts and changes the ffmpeg command line. This will add a little overhead at the start of the conversion. If you check the "ffmpeg.bat" file in the plugin "Source" folder you will notice that it uses a nested "For" loop which makes about 160 iterations before actually calling ffmpeg.exe.

The reason I switched to Sherpya's builds is that I can use libfdk_aac instead of the ffmpeg native aac encoder.

I mostly convert captured TV content (DVB-T), and until recently my target format was DVD. But now I have a small streaming box (Xstreamer) which handles AVC/AAC clips, so I decided to change my target format to AVC/AAC in an MKV container. I tried a couple of different conversion GUIs for X264, and I found that dmMediaConverter meets my needs almost perfecty. The exception was the built-in aac encoder (I really do not want to convert the audio separately and then pipe the result into ffmpeg). I know that libfdk_aac is not as good as Qaac, but it sure is good enough for me (after removing the default low-pass filter).

Cheers
manolito
Hi Manolito...still using Windows XP? I will drop support for it.

Last edited by mdalacu; 28th October 2016 at 14:26.
Old 29th October 2016, 09:38   #56  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalacu View Post
Hi Manolito...still using Windows XP? I will drop support for it.
Hi Marius,

yes I do still use WinXP on my main desktop computer, but I have a Thinkpad notebook running Win7 64-bit also. For converting clips to AVC I can only use the notebook because the ancient Coppermine CPU on the desktop needs almost 24 hours to convert a 90 min video...

Still I'd like to know why you are dropping XP support? Is it only because FFmpeg does not work under XP any more?

You probably know that the only reason why Zeranoe dropped XP support is to be able to use the Intel QSV encoder. And just about anyone who cares for the quality of the encoded result will refuse to use the Intel QSV encoder.
Quote from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Quick Sync, like other hardware accelerated video encoding technologies, gives lower quality results than with CPU only encoders. Speed is prioritized over quality.
There are also FFmpeg builds by rogerdpack available which do work under WinXP.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffm...?source=navbar

Cheers
manolito
Old 31st October 2016, 07:15   #57  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Hi Marius,

yes I do still use WinXP on my main desktop computer, but I have a Thinkpad notebook running Win7 64-bit also. For converting clips to AVC I can only use the notebook because the ancient Coppermine CPU on the desktop needs almost 24 hours to convert a 90 min video...

Still I'd like to know why you are dropping XP support? Is it only because FFmpeg does not work under XP any more?

You probably know that the only reason why Zeranoe dropped XP support is to be able to use the Intel QSV encoder. And just about anyone who cares for the quality of the encoded result will refuse to use the Intel QSV encoder.
Quote from Wikipedia:

There are also FFmpeg builds by rogerdpack available which do work under WinXP.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffm...?source=navbar

Cheers
manolito
Hi, you are right, mainly this is the reason. The ffmpeg that i bundle with the app does not work on XP anymore. You can still use a different ffmpeg with the app.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...UwxVE9vWHhBU0k
Do you want to test this now version until i publish it and share some thoughts...bugs,etc. I didn't have much time to invest into it so do not expect a lot of new things, just a little polish there and there.
P.S. A hidden option: the app creates an ini file located in your user profile c:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Local\dmMediaConverter\Config\dmMediaConverter.ini where you could modify this line
AACEncoder=aac and put something else like libfdk_aac...

Last edited by mdalacu; 31st October 2016 at 08:14.
Old 31st October 2016, 19:52   #58  |  Link
manolito

Just gave this new version a test run on my old WinXP computer, this is what I found:

I used an FFmpeg build by Sherpya to be able to use libfdk_aac. The hidden option in the INI file to use libfdk does work, but only for constant bitrate mode. For VBR mode the parameters for libfdk are different, see this page:

For using libfdk it would also be useful to let the user decide if he wants the low pass filter or not (specify the cutoff frequency).

The new "ETA" display does not work here, it always shows 0:00:00 on my machine.

Cheers
manolito

//EDIT//
On my Win7 64-bit notebook using the latest Sherpya FFmpeg build from July 2016 the "ETA" display works just fine. On the XP machine it must be either WinXP itself or the older FFmpeg build which causes the ETA display to fail...

Last edited by manolito; 31st October 2016 at 22:38.
Old 1st November 2016, 15:24   #59  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Just gave this new version a test run on my old WinXP computer, this is what I found:

I used an FFmpeg build by Sherpya to be able to use libfdk_aac. The hidden option in the INI file to use libfdk does work, but only for constant bitrate mode. For VBR mode the parameters for libfdk are different, see this page:

For using libfdk it would also be useful to let the user decide if he wants the low pass filter or not (specify the cutoff frequency).

The new "ETA" display does not work here, it always shows 0:00:00 on my machine.

Cheers
manolito

//EDIT//
On my Win7 64-bit notebook using the latest Sherpya FFmpeg build from July 2016 the "ETA" display works just fine. On the XP machine it must be either WinXP itself or the older FFmpeg build which causes the ETA display to fail...
Hi, you are right....i have corrected the vbr thing for libfdk...it is a bug in ffmpeg it should work passing the q parameter but it translates it in a wrong vbr value.
The cutoff option is a big change for me ...so i skip it for now, the cutoff frequency is dinamically choosen by ffmpeg. You can manually enter it in More settings/ Other (-cutoff:a 18000), it works for Bulk mode too.
The ETA thing...you need a ffmpeg version that displays "speed" in encoding output..(>3.0)

I have uploaded a new version, same link. You don't need the ini modification for now, just choose AAC FDK...i will think of something else to hide it.
Please, can you test it?
Thanks.
Old 1st November 2016, 21:12   #60  |  Link
manolito

Hi and thanks for the new version...

Selecting the FDK AAC encoder right from the GUI seems very logical to me, I see no reason to hide this setting. Of course the option should only be available if an FFmpeg version with libfdk support is installed.

The VBR parameters work correctly now.

For the low pass cutoff values I believe that the Fraunhofer defaults are overly cautious. In my little libfdk plugin I did it like this
Quote:
After some listening tests I added the "-cutoff 18000" parameter for CBR audio bitrates above 128k and for VBR mode 4.
and never heard any adverse effects.

One cosmetic thing in the audio encoding section:
The text box "Audio Filters" does not have enough room, the word "Filters" is partly cut off (how much depends on the screen resolution).

And thanks a lot for implementing the feature to remember the main window size and position. Makes my life easier on my notebook.

Cheers
manolito

Tags
ffmpeg, frontend, gui, handbrake, linux