Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th March 2011, 21:19   #21  |  Link
Dark Eiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
That Seekbar Thumb Preview is a nice useful idea indeed fits to Vista/7 especially nice skill jinsk8r, i guess a lot of your gui could be fast realized inside PotPlayer if i saw it right it has a very good Interface Engine that supports skinning via XML and also works In DirectX Exclusive Mode, though implementing that dynamic parts indeed would be a lot of work, in the context of Dshow based for every format getting it from the stream without an enormous amount of overhead (so time lags not fluid) you can see this btw inside a lot of Flash Players working efficiently but even their it needs time. Especially in the context of Usability Frame accuracy would be highly needed i mean you see a picture click on it and you land 20 frames away from its not going to work also if you seeked backwards before and then forward landing @ some random frame would be problematic it would need super stable splitter/decoder first to even think about something like that
Never saw this in any Windows Player the ISV (company, guy or girl) who realizes this in a very fluid way should get a award not even Cyberlink,Arcsoft or Corel/Intervideo got this and they surely thought about it
As said for now we only gonna see that in some Flash Player (as the Mainconcept core it uses is very Frame accurate and not Dshow bound, for the supported formats)
I guess Splash Player does that pretty accurately, actually.
Dark Eiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 04:26   #22  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

I had a go at making a program icon for MPC-HC. It's my 1st proper icon.

Preview:

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mcjv8lmfcj5zp97
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:31   #23  |  Link
Dark Eiri

It looks really good!
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:06   #24  |  Link
burfadel

Yeah it does it looks modern which is the whole point!

For file icons, I strongly believe there should really only be two, one that states its video and the other stating its audio. The current icon library might be good in principle, but in reality it just creates a large separate dll and associated memory space use for the icon cache. WIth only an audio and video icon, they can be part of the exe. For example, the bottom of the bars in the above icon could be moved up slightly, and a stylish (maybe 3dish) 'Audio' and 'Video' below.

Just an idea its all about modernisation and throwing around ideas.

I still strongly believe the interface should be Windows 7-esque, considering it will probably stay like this for a while. The one thing I don't want to see are tiny play, stop etc buttons! Nice big (within prefect reason of course)! buttons would be much better. You should be able to point and click without any effort, not making sure you are lining it up properly with the buttons . In Direct3d mode, I don't see why you couldn't have a stop, pause, previous and next buttons on the left of the slider bar maybe? or put it across the top...

Also, seemless playback between files would be good, I don't see why that can't be done over a reiniitialisation which currently occurs... What would be really good is that, and a little button one the player which shows (in addition to the main screen) a window of the video. This would be handy to turn on and off in case you just quickly want to look at a file and are using a secondary screen which you currently have turned off. The shader mod system should also be a lot better, as it sucks having to load a video before using it, and making sure direct3d mode is off to do it! and making sure you enter it the precise way otherwise it has the habit of self deleting the shader input...

Basically, despite MPC-HC being a brilliant player, there is still massive room for improvement

Anyways keep up the good ideas!
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 10:51   #25  |  Link
pirlouy
_

What these vertical bars do represent ? An equalizer ? MPC-HC is not an audio player (for me). For me, this icon should be linked to a video player...

Your icon is nice, but for me, not adapted to MPC-HC.

Last edited by pirlouy; 4th May 2011 at 18:57. Reason: orthographe
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 11:33   #26  |  Link
Dark Eiri

Well, isn't that the default logo on the newest builds? The image that's on the player when it opens?
Also, you can think of it as a blue middle finger to the bloated players.
Old 4th May 2011, 14:19   #27  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

jinsk8r: cool stuff (personally i will probably try a design/implementation for adobe strobe flash playback component in following weeks).
smok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 16:47   #28  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eiri View Post
It looks really good!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
What these vertical bars do represent ? En equalizer ? MPC-HC is not an audio player (for me). For me, the icon should be linked to a video player...
It is copied from the default MPC-HC logo! It makes a nice logo as it is unique and I rather like the look of it.

Quote:
Also, you can think of it as a blue middle finger to the bloated players.
I didn't think of that before. I like it .

Now this is what I have just made. I am very pleased with it...

The program icon I posted before is a bit of a 1st draft version. Should be able to improve on it sometime.

EDIT: whoops I forgot to align the logo to the dead center. So that can be easily fixed. If you didn't even notice then pretend you didn't read this .

Last edited by mr.duck; 4th May 2011 at 16:53.
mr.duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 00:54   #29  |  Link
Dark Eiri

Your icons. Too pretty. I can't. Hypnotized.
Please, can you post PNGs \ ICOs on all sizes when you finish, so we can implement it on the icon lib, even if unnoficially?
Old 6th May 2011, 04:45   #30  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Yes that was my intention.

When done, I would want to put these icons forward for serious consideration to become the official
icons. Although I've no idea how much chance there is of that. Or if even most people care at all
about it.

I've been working on program icons too. I've come up with 4 different versions. Here is a preview. I
want to know what people think of them...

Old 6th May 2011, 21:49   #31  |  Link
Dark Eiri

The beleved one is really beautiful.
Old 10th May 2011, 03:32   #32  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
The beleved one is really beautiful.
That's my favorite one too. Followed by the gloss icon.

Filetype icons took a lot longer than expected to finish. Take a look...

Old 10th May 2011, 22:00   #33  |  Link
VipZ

Looks awesome, we need the dll or icon's for this now
Old 11th May 2011, 02:16   #34  |  Link
Dark Eiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.duck View Post
That's my favorite one too. Followed by the gloss icon.

Filetype icons took a lot longer than expected to finish. Take a look...

They look... I don't have a better word for this, so, well... they look delicious.
Old 11th May 2011, 17:49   #35  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Maybe you could use different colors for each audio format, like Foobar2000 does (just a suggestion, I'll always use default program association).
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 22:19   #36  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
they look delicious.

But I already found I wasn't happy with a couple of them. I remade the 48px icon and adjusted the 96px one. Updated to version 1.1...

Quote:
Maybe you could use different colors for each audio format, like Foobar2000 does (just a suggestion, I'll always use default program association).
Thanks for your suggestion but the mpciconlib.dll file is usually around ~7MB because of all the different icons which is why I deliberately went for only 2 icons for audio and video. Maybe I will make some more generic icons later to further cut the size in 1/2.

Can anyone volunteer to make the mpciconlib.dll file? I currently have the icons in PNG format with transparency. According to clsid:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
You can find the source code of the iconlib DLL in the MPC-HC code repository. By compiling your own DLL you can really customize it. For example by adding or removing icons.
But I don't know how to do that. I would need someone to walk me through it or simply make the dll for me.
Old 12th May 2011, 13:15   #37  |  Link
VipZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.duck View Post
Can anyone volunteer to make the mpciconlib.dll file? I currently have the icons in PNG format with transparency. According to clsid:

But I don't know how to do that. I would need someone to walk me through it or simply make the dll for me.
I could build the dll for both x86 and x64 if you wish
Old 12th May 2011, 20:08   #38  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipz View Post
i could build the dll for both x86 and x64 if you wish
ygpm
Old 12th May 2011, 22:12   #39  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

this one is pretty close to what i think a gui should be like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35DsphxQn_M

(mplayerx on osx)

Last edited by smok3; 13th May 2011 at 08:48.
smok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 23:12   #40  |  Link
Dogway

Quote:
yeah I second that. I normally use the default MPC-HC BE edition default icons, which differentiates by colors video formats. Maybe you could change the blue color with red, green etc for mp4, mkv, avi, and the rest... It looks nice

Tags
gui, mpc-hc