Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 29th November 2005, 13:11   #61  |  Link
juskixxx

some tests made...need --threads

made some tests AMD 64 3000+@2400MHz vs. AMD X2 3800+

getting over 50-105% boost when setting:

SetMTMode(2,0)
and rest of my avisynth script

and setting number of threads to 2 in megui

http://www.avisynth.org/tsp/avisynth256MT3.zip was used, x264 version 380 and CE Highprofile from sharktooth's profiles (turbomode disabled)....same profile was used in staxrip settings.

stax could you add threads setting to your x264 configuration options....

nice to get all out of my X2

Last edited by juskixxx; 29th November 2005 at 14:07.
Old 29th November 2005, 18:30   #62  |  Link
stax76

new version available:

Quote:
0.9.0.9 (2005-11-29)
  • new: MP4Box par switch.
  • new: x264 thread switch.
  • new:macro %pos_ms% which returns the current preview position in milliseconds. Useful to start e.g. MPC (Media Player Classic) at the current frame position using the Execute action of the customizable menu of the main dialog or the menu in the preview. For MPC use the following arguments: "%source_dir%%target_name%.avs" /start %pos_ms%
  • minor: fixed auto resize not working in some circumstances.
sure, 2 minutes it was done, even released it the same day it was requested

Last edited by stax76; 29th November 2005 at 18:37.
Old 29th November 2005, 21:47   #63  |  Link
JoeBG
stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
new version available:

sure, 2 minutes it was done, even released it the same day it was requested
Great job

Joe
------------------------
freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose
Old 29th November 2005, 21:58   #64  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
Currently I don't have plans for chapter support other than letting define the path to a chapter file. Am I right to assume DVDDecrypter outputs ANSI chapter files?
yep

Quote:
I've added DAR support to MP4Box muxing but wasn't able to playback this right. I tried using latest VLC as well as ffdshow. I followed the description found here. Maybe my ffdshow or haali splitter is too old and I just need to update. I capture DVB and encode it using XviD/AVI or use XviD/mkv with vobsub for DVD so I'm still a little bit clueless about x264/MP4 as I don't use it yet.
anamorphic resize is done exactly the same way in mp4 as in avi, meaning its stored in the bitstream and not in the container

Quote:
What I've done is adding DAR arguments to the MP4Box cmdl if no filter of the category "Resize" is enabled. Must I also signal something to x264? I saw a switch called sar, never heard of this before, by now I know ar, dar and par, things are getting ugly now...
do you really support DISPLAY AR or more PIXEL AR?
btw the one and only right expression for pixel aspect ratio in avc is "SAR" (sample aspect ratio). the avc standard also doesnt know "display aspect ratio", meaning dar has to be recalculated to the correct sar, but you propably know that already

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
Old 29th November 2005, 22:43   #65  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
anamorphic resize is done exactly the same way in mp4 as in avi, meaning its stored in the bitstream and not in the container
Why MP4Box has a par switch then?

Quote:
do you really support DISPLAY AR or more PIXEL AR?
PAR for MP4Box but only when no resize filter is used (assuming a resize filter uses the %target_width% macro)

Quote:
btw the one and only right expression for pixel aspect ratio in avc is "SAR" (sample aspect ratio). the avc standard also doesnt know "display aspect ratio", meaning dar has to be recalculated to the correct sar, but you propably know that already
So SAR is basically the same as PAR, I feel somehow relieved now because this stuff started to bother me.
Old 30th November 2005, 01:36   #66  |  Link
Moat

Feedback

Just a little feedback. I was trying to install the external programs using the download method built into StaxRip. Everything seems to work fine but BeSweet and VirtualDubMod always come up as unknown versions even when installed thru StaxRip.

-Moat

Update: I tracked it down to:
If VersionDate.ToShortDateString = FileHelp.GetLastWriteTime( path).ToUniversalTime.ToShortDateString Then

It's the .ToUniversaltime that causes it. It changes my date of VirtualDubMod.exe to 3-9-2004 instead of 3-8-2004. If I remove it everything works fine.

Last edited by Moat; 30th November 2005 at 15:58. Reason: Update
Old 30th November 2005, 20:04   #67  |  Link
stax76

Great you know VB .NET, maybe you can help me to tackle this issue. I don't get it since I took the date for all applications using universal time, needless to to say here it works.

Code:
Public Class VirtualDubModPackage
    Inherits Package

Public Sub New()
        Name = "VirtualDubMod"
        Filename = "VirtualDubMod.exe"
        Version = "1.5.10.1 build 2439"
        Website = "http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net"
        Description = "VirtualDubMod is derived from VirtualDub and supports additional formats."
        VersionDate = New DateTime(2004, 3, 8)
        DownloadFilename = "VirtualDubMod_1.5.10.1_build_2439.zip"
        TreeFolder = "Video Processing"
    End Sub

Public Overrides Function IsRequired() As Boolean
        Return TypeOf p.VideoEncoder Is VirtualDubEncoder AndAlso _
            Not DirectCast(p.VideoEncoder, VirtualDubEncoder).UseVirtualDub
    End Function
End Class

Private Sub DebugCopyDateCodeClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
    Dim dt As DateTime = FileHelp.GetLastWriteTime(ActivePackage.GetPath(False)).ToUniversalTime
    Clipboard.SetDataObject("New DateTime(" + dt.Year.ToString + ", " + dt.Month.ToString + ", " + dt.Day.ToString + ")", True)
End Sub
I also realize this code is a little bit dusty since .NET 2.0 has many new methods like File.GetLastWriteTimeUtc or Clipboards.SetText.

edit: the bug is what you spotted VersionDate get converted to universal date (it is already universal date)

Last edited by stax76; 30th November 2005 at 20:40.
Old 30th November 2005, 22:38   #68  |  Link
stax76

new version available:

Quote:
0.9.1.0 (2005-11-30)
  • fix: fixed bug in zip extraction code that was writing a false time to the extracted files.
@Moat: thanks for the help, the bug were somewhere else, in my zip exctracting code (not in the IC#Code zip lib). I hope this time I got it right. This bug was in DVX for many month.

Since the files were extracted with wrong date you have to download them again. Disabling the warnings about wrong versions would also work but I cannot suggest this.

edit: probably the bug is still there, maybe tomorrow I have more luck

edit 2: after reading usenet I found out dealing with file times at some place at some time it is doomed to fail (timezones, daylight saving times, wrong os or bios date, very long tool chain (reading/writing dates (packing/unpacking again reads/writes dates)) etc. etc.). As example, the .NET API to get the last write date for a file returns a different date as the windows explorer here!

I could use a checksum (.NET has algorithms built in but it would probably be too slow for large files) assuming file attributes like time have no influence on this. Using the filesize is problematic as well, it was the first approach used in DVX and it turned out some applications had a different version but same filesize.

Last edited by stax76; 1st December 2005 at 00:44.
Old 1st December 2005, 10:57   #69  |  Link
bratao

MD5 its pretty fast , .ComputeHash can do it fast !
maybe you can take a look .
http://support.microsoft.com/default...3&SD=MSDN&FR=1
Old 1st December 2005, 11:13   #70  |  Link
stax76

It would have a noticeable impact I think as I loop through all packages to validate them before showing some dialogs. (I'm using MD5 in quite a few locations in StaxRip btw. )

I'm not making much progress these days so what I'm gonna do is continue to use to compare the last write days but simply make a tolerence of two days!

Last edited by stax76; 1st December 2005 at 11:20.
Old 2nd December 2005, 08:18   #71  |  Link
fight2win
What's in a name dude !

i guess it's audieu to autogk now, coz dr. divx and staxrip rock!
Old 3rd December 2005, 10:49   #72  |  Link
JoeBG
stupid

I want to add a custom Audio profile. Can someone give a tip how to do? I want to add a new AAC profile.

Joe
------------------------
freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose
Old 3rd December 2005, 12:09   #73  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I want to add a custom Audio profile. Can someone give a tip how to do? I want to add a new AAC profile.
I was already afraid that this is not intuitiv enough so I got think about if this can be done easier and of course better help files are needed. Regarding help I did some work already (nice css menu) but it needs a lot more work.

Generally you create new profiles in the profiles dialog. Regardless of what profile it is the dialog to manage profiles is always the same. With "Add" you create a new profile. It opens a selection with profiles usually starting with "Current" what are the current settings following with "factory" defaults so what you pick is "Current". Your customizations need to be done before of course using the "Edit" option in the drop down button in the main dialog which opens the configuration menu of the audio settings. I hope it's clear now. I really have to think if it can be done more intuitive, please let me know if you any ideas. I might see things sometimes too much from a developer view and not enough from user view.

Last edited by stax76; 3rd December 2005 at 12:14.
Old 3rd December 2005, 18:21   #74  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Hi!
I have to say i was never a big fan of your Dvx program mainly because i had to track the right versions of the programs to make it work, but now with StaxRip that has changed(button to download the right version, nicer gui, customization of the menu for foreign language users and a lot more) only thing missing is the DMF format support but judging by your posts here on doom9 youre are already working on it.

Ps: i havent compared the encoding times but being a user of AutoGk and avi.net it seems StaxRip is a bit slower, but like i said i havent compared it.

Good work!
Old 3rd December 2005, 18:25   #75  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo.santos
only thing missing is the DMF format support
support for the divx format is very easy, simply rename .avi to .divx

no, thats not a joke...

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
Old 3rd December 2005, 18:37   #76  |  Link
ricardo.santos

feature request

would it be possible that when converting dvdsubs to Divxmedia format the user could change the position onscreen of the subs?

Let me explain:

At the moment im creating my divx files by converting the dvd with AutoGk and adding subs with srt2bmp, why? lets say i have 2 tvs one being 4:3 and the other 16:9. at the moment with srt2bmp i can create one sub stream to be played on the black bars instead of on the video when viweing the video on a 4:3 tv, and another substream to positioned on the bottom of the picture when viewing it on a 16:9 tv.(one divx file with 2 different sub streams for different tvs)

when converting dvds with autogk and avi.net they will put the subs on the video, if the video has an aspect of 2:35:1 the picture is already small when played on a 4:3 tv, subs on the video will only make it worst, thats why i use srt2bmp to make the subs appear on the black bars.

i know its probably a bit confusing but this is a feature no other program has at the moment(that im aware)

Ricardo
Old 3rd December 2005, 18:39   #77  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond
support for the divx format is very easy, simply rename .avi to .divx

no, thats not a joke...

i meant converting the dvd to Dmf maintaing chapters, selectable audio and subs(xsubs)

more here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=89718

http://labs.divx.com/archives/000066.html

Last edited by ricardo.santos; 3rd December 2005 at 18:42.
Old 3rd December 2005, 19:36   #78  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
would it be possible that when converting dvdsubs to Divxmedia format the user could change the position onscreen of the subs?
So far I've only looked at the docs, I'm not so familiar with MP4 and DMF and hope I make soon progress with these containers. Basic support usually is not so hard, subtiltles usually involve most work.
Old 3rd December 2005, 19:44   #79  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Thanks for the update/status.
Old 5th December 2005, 16:53   #80  |  Link
stax76

new version available:

Quote:
0.9.1.1 (2005-12-05)
  • new: MP4Box subtitles.
  • new: Help and web design and content.
  • change: Main menu in the main form had to be reseted because of various changes.
edit: I just uploaded this build again because it turned out the VirtulDub/Mod multiplexer needed to be newly created due to bug fix I had done. Because of this I invalidated all Encoder and Muxer settings forcing them to be newly created. Once beta stage is reached I hope I'll be able to avoid reseting so often so many settings.

edit: I wasn't able to get DivXMux to work and nobody confirmed success using it so DMF support is delayed until I can use DivXMux.

Last edited by stax76; 5th December 2005 at 22:30.
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265