Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 30th August 2003, 22:24   #1  |  Link
VILLA21

Final image(VIDEO_TS) plays fine on WinDVD...not on TV-set

The conversion ended succsesfuly, tested with WinDVD5, was ok (video, audio sync,etc..) and burnt with DiscJuggler on TDK DVD+R 4x.
Problems:
-Pioneer 343 didn"t even start playing the DVD.
-On my 2nd DVD player BlueSky DVD plays ok but the subs are not readable cause are dislpayed at the bottom of the screen.

I authored a 2nd DVD ( DiskJuggler + TDK DVD+R 4x) with Ifoedit this time with the created files from DVD2SVCD. To my surprise plays fine on both DVD palyers (none of the above issues).

Is it Scenarist 2.6 that creates buggy images or missing something...?
Old 31st August 2003, 10:53   #2  |  Link
xp_eric

same here : plays fine on my pc (PowerDVD) but not on my standalone player (Philips DVD723)... I use Scenarist 2.7 pro

Eric
xp_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2003, 22:33   #3  |  Link
VILLA21

I tried again with the latest 1.2.1B2a and the problem still exists. Is it the version of Scenarist that i use (2.6)?...anyone to confirm that Scenarist 2.6 works?
Old 11th September 2003, 20:44   #4  |  Link
Koelie

Same here plays fine on my computer but not on my standalone(pioneer 525)it gives subtitles almost out of the picture and a chunky audio picture is fine.But when i use another program like dvd shrink or dvd2dvd-r it works fine on my standalone so it must be scenarist causing the problem b.t.w. i have used version 2.6 and 2.7 both gave the same problem.
Koelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2003, 21:26   #5  |  Link
Happygolucky
blah blah blah blah...

I also have a Pioneer 353 standalone player and I'm having really a bad time getting it to play burned DVDs. So far I've been able to get it to play 1 out of 6 DVD+RW discs I created. I cannot get it to play any DVD+R discs I've tried. It does play DVD-R discs seemingly OK. It doesn't seem to matter how I create the discs, I've used DVD2SVCD along with all three supported encoders, I've used TMPGEnc Plus and Procoder by themselves, I've changed the audio to AC3s, I've authored the discs with TMPGEnc DVD Author or with Nero 6... nothing seems to matter except the type of disc. Not sure why one of the DVD+RW discs work but none of the others do, and not sure why the DVD-R works and not the DVD+R. I'm using TDK branded media on a TDK 440n external firewire burner (multiformat model).

Even though my burner can handle anything, my standalone player seems to prefer DVD-R discs. I'm going to obtain some DVD-RW discs and see how they perform, hopefully it will like them as I'd rather not waste DVD-Rs.
Happygolucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2003, 22:53   #6  |  Link
VILLA21

Quote:
Originally posted by Happygolucky
I also have a Pioneer 353 standalone player and I'm having really a bad time getting it to play burned DVDs. So far I've been able to get it to play 1 out of 6 DVD+RW discs I created. I cannot get it to play any DVD+R discs I've tried. It does play DVD-R discs seemingly OK. It doesn't seem to matter how I create the discs, I've used DVD2SVCD along with all three supported encoders, I've used TMPGEnc Plus and Procoder by themselves, I've changed the audio to AC3s, I've authored the discs with TMPGEnc DVD Author or with Nero 6... nothing seems to matter except the type of disc. Not sure why one of the DVD+RW discs work but none of the others do, and not sure why the DVD-R works and not the DVD+R. I'm using TDK branded media on a TDK 440n external firewire burner (multiformat model).

Even though my burner can handle anything, my standalone player seems to prefer DVD-R discs. I'm going to obtain some DVD-RW discs and see how they perform, hopefully it will like them as I'd rather not waste DVD-Rs.
No, the problem is not the DVD+Rs media i use. Read carefully my 1st post. It"s the authoring program (Scenarist 2.6)or the input project files comes from D2S...don"t know... When i author the same files with IfoEdit ( and using the same DVD media+DVD burnig application) everyting is OK....
@DVD2SVCD where r u?

Last edited by VILLA21; 12th September 2003 at 07:30.
VILLA21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2003, 05:08   #7  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

He has been missing in action the last few days. Dunno where the rascal is. Probably taking a break.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2003, 17:42   #8  |  Link
Fastolfe

I experienced the same with my Samsung DVD player, subtitles on top of the screen and scrambled. Playing the same disc on my PC with WinDVD or PowerDVD, no problems at all.
Done with D2S 1.2.1B2a with Scenarist 2.7 Pro on DVD-R without visible errors during the entire process.
So, I remade manually the DVD with Scenarist and the files available (redid subs with DIF4U), and all OK on PC and Samsung DVD player .

Any idea if this bug is confirmed yet?

FF
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2003, 21:34   #9  |  Link
VILLA21

Quote:
Originally posted by Fastolfe
I experienced the same with my Samsung DVD player, subtitles on top of the screen and scrambled. Playing the same disc on my PC with WinDVD or PowerDVD, no problems at all.
Done with D2S 1.2.1B2a with Scenarist 2.7 Pro on DVD-R without visible errors during the entire process.
So, I remade manually the DVD with Scenarist and the files available (redid subs with DIF4U), and all OK on PC and Samsung DVD player .

Any idea if this bug is confirmed yet?

FF
So, seems that it"s the way the program exports the project files to Scenarist.
By the way, only 4-5 users report this "bug"...strange? or most of the them author the DVD"s manually with IfoEdit/Scenarist ?
Still waiting for @DVD2SVCD to check it out...
Old 23rd September 2003, 11:02   #10  |  Link
InF

Same here plays fine on my computer but not on my standalone player:\

When i author the same files with IfoEdit ( and using the same DVD media+DVD burnig application) everyting is OK.

DVD2SVCD are u there?

Last edited by InF; 23rd September 2003 at 11:50.
InF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2003, 15:32   #11  |  Link
DDogg

Well assuming D2S is going to get some time soon to check into this let's do some background tests for him. I'll throw out a few things. The only problem is I don't know much about dvd authoring so bear with me as I attempt to at least facilitate.

1> I noticed Fastolfe knew scenarist enough to manually use the files generated by d2s and they played when burned, but he said something about redoing the subs. Are the people having problems always using subs? Can somebody do a complete encode with just one ac3 audio and no subs and try?

2> Has anybody actually mounted the movie.dvd image in a virtual drive and done a disk copy?

3> Anybody that is reading that has no problems playing the burned image or files please post with details of player, media used burning method/software.

4> In general we need to figure out what it is for d2s as he might have time to fix it but I doubt right now he has the time to do all the background research. You guys should try to narrow it down to a few possibilities.
Old 23rd September 2003, 18:27   #12  |  Link
Fastolfe

DDogg,

1- Hopefully to clarify a bit, my first go w/D2S 1.2.1B2a was w/o subs, simple execution since the subs take so much more time to process ;-) = 1 video stream + 2 ac3 streams. The conversion went smoothly, did burn on DVD-RW with Nero6 and played fine on PC and on standalone DVD player (video+audios+chap = OK). So, I went for the complete conversion with 3 subs this time. The entire process went smoothly again, did burn on the same DVD-RW with Nero6 and played fine on PC (video+audios+chap+subs = OK) and on standalone DVD player except for the three subs (video+audios+chap = OK but subs = NOK). With scenarist, I just did follow the guides available at Doom9 and I did import the created assets from D2S into scenarist. The subs (from D2S) being in a format that I cannot import into scenarist (my fault, do not know how), I did reprocess the subs from the DVD with DIF4U (it exports them into .sst). With all the files imported into scenarist, I just created a new DVD-Video.
Hope I did better this time describing what was OK and what was not.
2- Can (will) try this.
3- ...
4- Would gladly help.

FF
Old 23rd September 2003, 19:35   #13  |  Link
DDogg

Fastolfe, thanks, that clarified a lot.

Now we need VILLA21 and InF to try a "simple" encode with no subs and only one audio. If that burns and plays we then have it bracketed. Also, it might be a good idea to set max at 8500 instead of 9000 when you guys do try it.
Old 23rd September 2003, 20:35   #14  |  Link
InF

Ok i will try to encode with no subs and only one audio stream.

I`ll be back..
Old 23rd September 2003, 21:12   #15  |  Link
VILLA21

Quote:
Originally posted by DDogg
Fastolfe, thanks, that clarified a lot.

Now we need VILLA21 and InF to try a "simple" encode with no subs and only one audio. If that burns and plays we then have it bracketed. Also, it might be a good idea to set max at 8500 instead of 9000 when you guys do try it.
Will test it asap
Old 23rd September 2003, 23:03   #16  |  Link
kheops

the great ifoedit might be the solution
see this thread
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61934

i've just created a VIDEO_TS folder with DVD Encore, ifoedit FOUND sectors to be corrected (a shame)

+
kheops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2003, 06:41   #17  |  Link
dvd2svcd

Sorry for the delay guys, I've been very very busy at work.

Tell me, what are you burning? The DISCIMAGE.DVD or the VIDEO_TS folder?
Old 24th September 2003, 06:51   #18  |  Link
Fastolfe

No worries.
In my case, scenarist creates the VIDEO_TS folder that I throw at Nero6 in DVD-Video creation mode.

FF
Old 24th September 2003, 07:29   #19  |  Link
VILLA21

Quote:
Originally posted by dvd2svcd
Sorry for the delay guys, I've been very very busy at work.

Tell me, what are you burning? The DISCIMAGE.DVD or the VIDEO_TS folder?
Both of them leads to an unplayable DVD for me.
Old 24th September 2003, 14:56   #20  |  Link
xp_eric

@DVD2SVCD : I tried the VIDEO_TS folder burned with NERO6.

I also tried to re-author the generated audio and video files with IfoEdit, same result.

I was wondering why the CCE settings used in version 1.2.1 build 2 are different then the ones you advised before DVD support was supported (DVD compliant and close all GOPs)

Eric
xp_eric is offline   Reply With Quote