Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Closed Thread

Old 29th October 2009, 07:01   #1  |  Link
koenich

"Archos AV 500" sound problem

hey guys,

i've got a little problem which i hope to solve with your help.

when i put a simple 700mb AVI file (DivX or XviD) on the AV 500 then everything runs fine. but when i download a movie that's split into two pieces (2cd or 2x 700mb) then i can only see the movie but without any sound. i know that this isn't a problem of the files because i already tried quite a few split files. it's always the same: only picture but no sound.

i already have the newest AV 500 firmware. i also tried to join the files using VirtualDub. same result...

anyone an idea?

EDIT:
alright. i've found one way how to make it work:
in VirtualDub i chose
"Direct Stream Copy" for video processing and
"Full Processing Mode" for audio processing.

well, now the sound works but the file got to 2gb but it should be 1,4gb.................
looks like the Archos has a problem with split audio files. any clue anyone?

Last edited by koenich; 29th October 2009 at 07:24.
Old 29th October 2009, 07:44   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

@koenich

Hi!

1) When you created one of these "split .AVIs", what audio format, frequency, and sampling rate did you use?

2) Please load one of the discs from a "split .AVI" into GSpot and post a screen capture back here...
Old 29th October 2009, 08:15   #3  |  Link
koenich

thanks for the fast response. let's hope we get an answer to this problem. because i hate problems! :-D

well, i didn't rip or encode the files. i downloaded all of them. you know how it is: a friend gives you a link and you download some movie because you can't afford to buy the DVD. ;-) (of course you delete the files after 24 hours. :-D)

first of all let's get some things clear:

1. a single AVI (700mb) plays fine.
2. a single AVI (1400mb) split by an encoder (like g-knot) into two files (2x 700mb) play aswell, but without any sound.
3. it looks like the audio track has to be re-encoded or joined before saving to AVI in order to be heard on the AV500.
4. i started VirtualDub, opened the first file and appendened the second one.
then i changed
Video option to "Direct Stream Copy" (because the picture plays fine and therefor hasn't to be processed) and
Audio option to "Full Processing Mode"
anything else i left default.
this file played fine on my player including sound. but the target size should be below 1.4gb. instead it was over 2gb...

here comes a cap of g-spot's analysis of the first part of the file i downloaded:

and this is a cap of g-spot's analysis of the file that i joined out of the two downloaded files (which plays fine including sound on the AV500):
problem is that it's size is too big. two 700mb files joined together should be 1.4 gigs. but the file that i got has 2.1 gigs...

after taking a look at the posted pic (too late, i know! :-D) i can only imagine three possible sources of error:
either the fact that the audio file is 48kHz or that it's AC3 format or that it was split by the ripper / encoder.

your help is much appreciated. thanks in advance! :-)

Last edited by koenich; 29th October 2009 at 08:32.
Old 29th October 2009, 09:24   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
well, i didn't rip or encode the files. i downloaded all of them. you know how it is: a friend gives you a link and you download some movie because you can't afford to buy the DVD. ;-)
No, I'm afraid I don't know how that is...
Old 29th October 2009, 19:47   #5  |  Link
koenich

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
No, I'm afraid I don't know how that is...
i just hope you don't live on a tree. ;-)
Old 29th October 2009, 20:00   #6  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

There's a reason we have Rule 6 and have everyone agree to the rules when the sign up. Closed.
Closed Thread