Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 4th January 2011, 02:54   #10761  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs, @colinhunt

Hi!

Regarding "Peeping Tom" - Online reviews indicate that this recently made Blu-ray of a (IIRC) 1950s movie contains only a (single channel) monaural PCM audiostream, which is very likely the cause of the backup and playback problems.

I believe this can be remedied (for a movie-only backup) by, before using BD-RB, extracting the audiostream and using EAC3 to convert it to (two channel) stereo PCM and then using tsMuxeR to replace the original audiostream with the revised version - and then process with BD-RB...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 08:11   #10762  |  Link
omegaman7

All is well now with "The Other Guys". But some dark scenery suffered more than I'd like. So I'll be running it once again, with some different audio settings, and a longer encode

Jdobbs. Do you have a Theoretical explanation even, of what would cause the program to mistake audio languages? My first encodes had instructions of English audio only, and yet it kept Portuguese(or some other language) only. Shame I can't preview/sample the audio source by right clicking, and opening with a media player Then I could verify that the program is confused.
Dvd rebuilder has never done this before. Something weird must be going on to effect Bd rebuilder.
omegaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 10:51   #10763  |  Link
setarip_old

@omegaman7

Hi!
Quote:
Do you have a Theoretical explanation even, of what would cause the program to mistake audio languages? My first encodes had instructions of English audio only, and yet it kept Portuguese(or some other language) only. Shame I can't preview/sample the audio source by right clicking, and opening with a media player
Have you played the original Blu-ray disc to determine whether the audiostream selections work properly on it?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 10:56   #10764  |  Link
omegaman7

Yes. The uncompressed folder plays perfectly. So does my third attempt at the compressed output, keeping all audio tracks. I'm now running it again, removing select audio tracks manually. I won't be deleting the original folder for some time. I have to know what is causing this. This is really bizarre LOL!

You sure love that blue text lol.

Last edited by omegaman7; 4th January 2011 at 10:59.
Old 4th January 2011, 13:24   #10765  |  Link
Sharc

@Jdobbs
I tried the Alternative PAL DVD mode with ALTERNATE_PAL=1.
Perfect, no ghosted pictures any more.
Just to inform I set the Custom Size to 4483 MB and still got some undersize of 94% (video+1 audio) -- which on the positive side let me eventually add a nice menu ....
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 14:14   #10766  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
I know how to keep all audio now. I misunderstood at first, how the selections worked. Blond moment LOL!!! What ever my problem is, I'm keeping all audio now, and I'll see how that does tonight when I get home from work. If that doesn't work, i'll upgrade to the new version. I need to know if my current version is SOMEHOW causing it.
Well... there are rarely times when it is useful to keep all languages, unless you speak them all (which is rare). Every language you keep steals bandwidth from the video. If there is enough content, you're video quality may suffer noticably.
Old 4th January 2011, 14:16   #10767  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@jdobbs, @colinhunt

Hi!

Regarding "Peeping Tom" - Online reviews indicate that this recently made Blu-ray of a (IIRC) 1950s movie contains only a (single channel) monaural PCM audiostream, which is very likely the cause of the backup and playback problems.

I believe this can be remedied (for a movie-only backup) by, before using BD-RB, extracting the audiostream and using EAC3 to convert it to (two channel) stereo PCM and then using tsMuxeR to replace the original audiostream with the revised version - and then process with BD-RB...
Hmmm... mono tracks are completely legal and BD-RB should handle them, although I'm not sure I have run into any.
Old 4th January 2011, 14:19   #10768  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
All is well now with "The Other Guys". But some dark scenery suffered more than I'd like. So I'll be running it once again, with some different audio settings, and a longer encode

Jdobbs. Do you have a Theoretical explanation even, of what would cause the program to mistake audio languages? My first encodes had instructions of English audio only, and yet it kept Portuguese(or some other language) only. Shame I can't preview/sample the audio source by right clicking, and opening with a media player Then I could verify that the program is confused.
Dvd rebuilder has never done this before. Something weird must be going on to effect Bd rebuilder.
You can right click on the extracted audio before encoding and play it, or you could right click on the AUD_XXXXX.AVS file and play it.

The only way I could see that happening is if somehow the audio PID in the M2TS is not configured to match the one in the CLPI and/or M2TS. If that's true, then the source is corrupted. There's nothing BD-RB could do about that. As I may have said before -- after a couple thousand test runs against a huge number of commercial BDs... I have never gotten the wrong language.
Old 4th January 2011, 14:23   #10769  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
@Jdobbs
I tried the Alternative PAL DVD mode with ALTERNATE_PAL=1.
Perfect, no ghosted pictures any more.
Just to inform I set the Custom Size to 4483 MB and still got some undersize of 94% (video+1 audio) -- which on the positive side let me eventually add a nice menu ....
How is the sound after the compaction? I did a few tests, and couldn't notice much difference if any...
Old 4th January 2011, 19:11   #10770  |  Link
williamtel

Just some info.

@jdobbs

I do not know if this will be important to anyone else but I just wanted to share what I expirienced.
I was backing up "Salt" US version, when file 50 of 64 caused an error of tsmuxer.exe to stop working. Tried a couple of times and then I decieded to download the the latest version of Halli Media Spliter which was released on Nov 21, 2010. Program ran fine with no issues. I don't know if this info will help anyone else but this worked for me and I wanted to let someone else know. Thanks.
williamtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 19:33   #10771  |  Link
omegaman7

Thanks for the tip about running the workfiles. But the numbering scheme used by avisynth compared to Bd rebuilders numbering scheme is a bit cumbersome at best. I think I understand though. I'm even more baffled now. If I'm understanding avisynth correctly, the english audio track IS the english audio track. Which confuses me even more LOL!

I removed the extra english tracks, and the HD french track, and was happily greeted by HD english audio upon playing the main title. This would sure be easier if the main title was a single M2TS file. Wonder why they did it this way... Basterds! LOL!

I will now run it again at super fast settings, to hurry along the testing, so that I may understand the error. By the way, I can't seem to play the AVS files. "Cannot Render file". I'm gonna try to create the error once again, to be sure this is an error at all, and not just a fluke. The way it happened before, was keeping HD audio (English only).

Hmm the other machine plays the AVS files. Likely an association issue...

Last edited by omegaman7; 4th January 2011 at 19:50.
Old 4th January 2011, 20:01   #10772  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtel View Post
@jdobbs

I do not know if this will be important to anyone else but I just wanted to share what I expirienced.
I was backing up "Salt" US version, when file 50 of 64 caused an error of tsmuxer.exe to stop working. Tried a couple of times and then I decieded to download the the latest version of Halli Media Spliter which was released on Nov 21, 2010. Program ran fine with no issues. I don't know if this info will help anyone else but this worked for me and I wanted to let someone else know. Thanks.
There are other issues with that HAALI version -- when I tested it I got random X264 crashes. Use it if you wish, it's your computer -- but please don't post any bug reports, because I already know the cause.

Try enabling or disabling "Uncompressed" audio decoding in FFDSHOW and see if it has an effect.

I did the US version of "Salt" with no issues.
Old 4th January 2011, 20:04   #10773  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Thanks for the tip about running the workfiles. But the numbering scheme used by avisynth compared to Bd rebuilders numbering scheme is a bit cumbersome at best. I think I understand though. I'm even more baffled now. If I'm understanding avisynth correctly, the english audio track IS the english audio track. Which confuses me even more LOL!

I removed the extra english tracks, and the HD french track, and was happily greeted by HD english audio upon playing the main title. This would sure be easier if the main title was a single M2TS file. Wonder why they did it this way... Basterds! LOL!

I will now run it again at super fast settings, to hurry along the testing, so that I may understand the error. By the way, I can't seem to play the AVS files. "Cannot Render file". I'm gonna try to create the error once again, to be sure this is an error at all, and not just a fluke. The way it happened before, was keeping HD audio (English only).

Hmm the other machine plays the AVS files. Likely an association issue...
Numbering scheme? Huh?
Old 4th January 2011, 20:29   #10774  |  Link
omegaman7

Ok. I think I was intimidated by a number which made no sense to me. I think it does now. E.g. "AUD_00125_4352". 4352 is simply a way of distinguishing a different audio track within a clip(4352 should be english, and 4360 could be Portuguese). AUD_00125, is part of VID_00125. It has simply been Demuxed. Sorry, i'm about as green as it gets. I'm more than anything explaining this to myself
Old 4th January 2011, 21:06   #10775  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
How is the sound after the compaction? I did a few tests, and couldn't notice much difference if any...
Sound is good. I don't really notice a pitch shift when comparing the recoded ac3 with the original DTS. The 'time stretch/tempo' algo seems to perform very well.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 22:47   #10776  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Ok. I think I was intimidated by a number which made no sense to me. I think it does now. E.g. "AUD_00125_4352". 4352 is simply a way of distinguishing a different audio track within a clip(4352 should be english, and 4360 could be Portuguese). AUD_00125, is part of VID_00125. It has simply been Demuxed. Sorry, i'm about as green as it gets. I'm more than anything explaining this to myself
Ok. But don't confuse that number with languages. It is the PID (packet identifier) that distinguishes elementary streams that are muxed within an M2TS. PID 4352 could be any language (not just English).
Old 4th January 2011, 23:01   #10777  |  Link
omegaman7

I mean that 4352 was/is english in this particular M2TS's case. I hope I don't look stupid for this :S

I'm officially throwing my arms up on this BD. I redid The Other Guys exactly as I did the first time, and now the audio is english. It appears some unkown error occurred, and I have no way of knowing what happened From now on, I rename the INF files in such a way(1st, 2nd, etc) that BD rebuilder can't overwrite it. It's a shame it doesn't offer doing this for testing purposes. Sorry about any grief I've caused.

Don't ever think for a moment, that you're a bad teacher. I have a problem focusing on things at times. Plus I'm more a hands on guy

Last edited by omegaman7; 4th January 2011 at 23:06.
Old 4th January 2011, 23:17   #10778  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I mean that 4352 was/is english in this particular M2TS's case. I hope I don't look stupid for this :S
I sometimes post answers for the sake of all who are reading, not necessarily just the person who's post I'm answering... that's why I made that clarification.

Last edited by jdobbs; 4th January 2011 at 23:20.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 23:19   #10779  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I post answers for the sake of all who are reading, not necessarily just the person who's post I'm answering... that's why I made that clarification.
Ahh, yep yep. That's the general idea for a forum

I have now burned a different media for The Other Guys. This burn worked well, so it was not the PS3 updates that were on the disc. I did doubt that LOL! I strongly recommend staying away from Optical Quantum(Philps media). They were decent at first, but now I'm noticing minor - major flaws in the dye's. I usually stick with Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. But as you all know, they're currently rather spendy

Last edited by omegaman7; 4th January 2011 at 23:40.
Old 4th January 2011, 23:58   #10780  |  Link
JJB

Quote:
Ahh, yep yep. That's the general idea for a forum

I have now burned a different media for The Other Guys. This burn worked well, so it was not the PS3 updates that were on the disc. I did doubt that LOL! I strongly recommend staying away from Optical Quantum(Philps media). They were decent at first, but now I'm noticing minor - major flaws in the dye's. I usually stick with Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. But as you all know, they're currently rather spendy
I was not aware Ty made Blu-Ray disc. Do you have a link?

I have made about 150 backups using Optical Quantum (Blu-Ray) burning on 2 LG's and 1 Pioneer and have yet to have a failure verifying with Imgburn or watching them. Your setup maybe?

Last edited by JJB; 5th January 2011 at 00:07.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote