Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 13th January 2006, 23:59   #221  |  Link
Drinken

Yeah... AFAIK 250 is the max.
I just tried under XP:

Quote:
command /u:250 /C C:\PROGRA~1\IMGtools\mkisofs.exe -dvd-video -V "SAHARA" -o "d:\SAHARA.ISO" -p PgcEdit -m *backup* -m *Backup* -m .DS_Store -m "Copy of *" -split-output "F:\SAHARA" 2>&1
Didn't work, "The system cannot execute the specified program."
I don't have a 9x machine here so unable to test if it would behave the same way under 9x.
Same line with cmd works properly...

I would guess the easiest would be to pop up a window with instructions on how to edit config.sys to enable the workaround?
Drinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2006, 00:45   #222  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

thanks
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2006, 11:12   #223  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Drinken, I tried also command /u:250 under XP, without success. But the /u option is not listed in the output of command.com /?
Is it an option available only under 9X? If so, it's even mode crazy than I though!
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2006, 16:27   #224  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, I have found a way to use long command lines in MS-DOS. The trick is to split the command in several parts which are placed in environment variables. Then, the command is generated using the variables rather than the full text. It works well in CMD.EXE, and in the XP version of COMMAND.COM, but I'm not sure it will work under Win ME.

BOB66, could you try it?
Copy the following MS-DOS script in a batch file (with a ".bat" extension), and execute it. Mkisofs should work.
(Note that I have used for this example the arguments you gave in a previous post. Of course, the DVD folder should still be present on your hard disc!)

Code:
set p="E:\WIN_ME\ImgTool\ImgToolClassic\mkisofs.exe"
set a1=-dvd-video -no-pad -p PgcEdit
set a2=-m *backup* -m *Backup* -m .DS_Store -m "Copy of *"
set a3=-split-output
set a4=-V "SAHARA"
set a5=-o "d:\SAHARA.ISO"
set a6="F:\SAHARA"
%p% %a1% %a2% %a3% %a4% %a5% %a6% 2>&1
pause
Old 14th January 2006, 17:54   #225  |  Link
Drinken

Clever! I would never had thought about doing it that way.
Old 14th January 2006, 18:24   #226  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinken
Clever! I would never had thought about doing it that way.
the things M$ stupidity will force you to do!

jeanl
Old 14th January 2006, 20:29   #227  |  Link
BOB66

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
Damn, it's not what I want!
It should be possible to execute a long command line from a batch file. Can you copy the same commands in a .bat file, and execute it? Should work.

BTW, it's another crazy limitation of Win 9X! 127 characters in a command line is somewhat limited. (Max 259 characters under XP, and about 2000 under Linux!)

OK,
I checked all lines it in a BAT file and this one (and the last) made an ISO:
Code:
"E:\WIN_ME\ImgTool\ImgToolClassic\mkisofs.exe" -dvd-video -no-pad -V "SAHARA" -o "d:\SAHARA.ISO" -p PgcEdit -m *backup* -m *Backup* -m .DS_Store -m "Copy of *" -split-output "F:\SAHARA"
It`s nearly the original command without the "2>&1" at the end.

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>"E:\WIN_ME\ImgTool\ImgToolClassic\mkisofs.exe" -dvd-video -no
-pad -V "SAHARA" -o "d:\SAHARA.ISO" -p PgcEdit -m *backup* -m *Backup* -m .DS_St
ore -m "Copy of *" -split-output "F:\SAHARA"
/cygdrive/e/WIN_ME/IMGTOOL/IMGTOO~3/MKISOFS: No such host or network path. Canno
t open '//.mkisofsrc'.
0.23% done, estimate finish Sat Jan 14 20:04:33 2006
99.87% done, estimate finish Sat Jan 14 20:02:09 2006
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
Total directory bytes: 4248
Path table size(bytes): 42
Max brk space used 5000
2172731 extents written (4243 MB)

Results for me:
- there is no limitation to 127 characters with batch file
- it looks like that the "2>&1" at the end makes trouble

BOB66
BOB66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2006, 20:47   #228  |  Link
BOB66

Quote:
Well, I have found a way to use long command lines in MS-DOS. The trick is to split the command in several parts which are placed in environment variables. Then, the command is generated using the variables rather than the full text. It works well in CMD.EXE, and in the XP version of COMMAND.COM, but I'm not sure it will work under Win ME.

BOB66, could you try it?
Copy the following MS-DOS script in a batch file (with a ".bat" extension), and execute it. Mkisofs should work.
(Note that I have used for this example the arguments you gave in a previous post. Of course, the DVD folder should still be present on your hard disc!)

Code:
set p="E:\WIN_ME\ImgTool\ImgToolClassic\mkisofs.exe"
set a1=-dvd-video -no-pad -p PgcEdit
set a2=-m *backup* -m *Backup* -m .DS_Store -m "Copy of *"
set a3=-split-output
set a4=-V "SAHARA"
set a5=-o "d:\SAHARA.ISO"
set a6="F:\SAHARA"
%p% %a1% %a2% %a3% %a4% %a5% %a6% 2>&1
pause
I sended the result by email to you, did not work.

BUT IT WORKS without "2>&1" AND calling the batch file over DOS-prompt.

If I start the batch file direct, then it shows after the 5t line "no enough memory in the environment"

BOB66
Old 14th January 2006, 21:59   #229  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB66
If I start the batch file direct, then it shows after the 5t line "no enough memory in the environment"
Aaaargh! It is definitively impossible to do anything with Win ME! No stderr redirection, no variable substitution! And what else?!

Solution: switch to XP, or, better, to Linux!
I can't help more. Ask Bill Gates why!
Old 14th January 2006, 22:32   #230  |  Link
Drinken

Modify the Environment for a Specific MS-DOS Program
To increase the default environment space for a specific MS-DOS program, follow these steps: 1. Right-click the MS-DOS program icon, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Memory tab.
3. In the Initial Environment box, type the number of kilobytes (KB) that the program requires, and then click OK.

NOTE: The maximum amount of memory that you can allocate for an MS-DOS program is 4096 KB.

edit1:
Or: Edit config.sys again, and set SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:4096 /U:250 /P

I think the /U parameter is only available when using shell= in config.sys actually. There are lots of undocumented switches for MS software...

To be honest, I don't see a problem with editing config.sys as long as you make a backup.
This enviroment problem is easy enough to solve though.

Edit2:
I can't remember there being a problem with redirection in 9x, I'll look into it.

Edit3:

I forgot that ME ignores settings for the enviroment size in config.sys! The default space for environment variables is only 256 bytes!

To fix this:
1. Right-click the MS-DOS Prompt shortcut, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Memory tab.
3. In the Initial Environment box, set the initial environment size you want (from 256 to 4,096 bytes, in 256-byte increments).
4. Click OK.

Last edited by Drinken; 14th January 2006 at 22:47.
Old 14th January 2006, 22:58   #231  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, I have surfed the net, and found at several places that it is not possible to redirect stderr under Win 9X! I need that absolutely for the burn DVD function.
The line too long problem is also important, but w/o the redirection, I can't support Win9X anyway!

My last hope is that there is no real stderr stream under 9X, and that it is redirected anyway to stdout. In this case, the 2>&1 (which cause a syntax error) can be omitted, and everything is fine.
If it works, I will come back to the line too long and memory problems. But if it doesn't work, I will simply display a "Burn function not supported under Win 9X" dialog. Since win ME is outdated, I don't want to spend too many time trying to support it.

Thanks anyway for your help, Drinken.
Old 15th January 2006, 10:25   #232  |  Link
BOB66

Quote:
Well, I have surfed the net, and found at several places that it is not possible to redirect stderr under Win 9X! I need that absolutely for the burn DVD function.
The line too long problem is also important, but w/o the redirection, I can't support Win9X anyway!

My last hope is that there is no real stderr stream under 9X, and that it is redirected anyway to stdout. In this case, the 2>&1 (which cause a syntax error) can be omitted, and everything is fine.
If it works, I will come back to the line too long and memory problems. But if it doesn't work, I will simply display a "Burn function not supported under Win 9X" dialog. Since win ME is outdated, I don't want to spend too many time trying to support it.

Thanks anyway for your help, Drinken.

@r0lZ, @Drinken

thank`s for your help!
But it looks like that`s not (so easy) to fix this for Windows ME. Don`t spend much more time for this.

PgcEdit is a very great and powerful tool !!!
It works without any (other) problems for me and I can burn with ImgToolClassic till I switch to XP.

BOB66
Old 15th January 2006, 11:03   #233  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

That's right. Thanks for your comprehension.

But take in mind that you cannot burn a DL media with ImgTool Classic, because it has no provision to select the layer break cell.

Anyway, when I'll have some free time, I will send you a little tcl script to see it the 2>&1 syntax can be safely omitted under WinME.
Old 18th January 2006, 13:51   #234  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Another burn bug - is this known and solved?

Using v0.6.2 - Click on burn and it tells me the files need to be in VIDEO_TS. Click on OK. Moves them there but gives continual error about not being able to move Pgcedit_backup (when it has in fact been moved). Only way out of this is to cancel, after which main ISO image dialogue box comes up. Is this solved in a 0.6.3 beta 5?

EDIT: Also, is anyone experiencing problems with removing the Layer Break by unchecking the LB box? I had to manually make it "9" from "1" (there were no real angles) as unchecking it and OK did not "take".

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 18th January 2006 at 14:00.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2006, 14:13   #235  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach
Using v0.6.2 - Click on burn and it tells me the files need to be in VIDEO_TS. Click on OK. Moves them there but gives continual error about not being able to move Pgcedit_backup (when it has in fact been moved). Only way out of this is to cancel, after which main ISO image dialogue box comes up. Is this solved in a 0.6.3 beta 5?
Yes, this bug is solved in the latest beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach
EDIT: Also, is anyone experiencing problems with removing the Layer Break by unchecking the LB box? I had to manually make it "9" from "1" (there were no real angles) as unchecking it and OK did not "take".
Right. And this bug is still not fixed. Currently, the Layer Break checkbox is useless. You have to use the little Cell Flags dialog to change the seamless flag.
I will fix the problem right now.
Old 18th January 2006, 14:23   #236  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Merci beaucoup. I'm just lazy I think - have installed 6.3.B5 and read the version history and figured this was the fix.

Wonder why the LB thingy got broken?

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2006, 14:34   #237  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

It's mainly because of the change in the interface. The communication between the checkbox and the cell flags button was broken.
Old 18th January 2006, 21:22   #238  |  Link
Drinken

I think this has been reported earlier, but it's worth mentioning again I think.
PGCedits backup folders gets deleted correctly now when creating the ISO, but Vobblankers backup folder (in root) are left alone and gets included in the ISO.

Dr.

Edit: This is with beta5.
Old 19th January 2006, 12:32   #239  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I can't reproduce this problem! Could you give me the exact filename (with the path) to your VB backup folder? And is it something special in the mkisofs log?
Old 19th January 2006, 12:50   #240  |  Link
Drinken

No error in the log, just the default vobblanker_backup in the c:\Movie folder, not in c:\Movie\VIDEO_TS.

Name of VB Backup folder from memory, sorry I'm unable to check right now. I'll check later tonight if needed.

Edit: The only thing giving away that it's happening is if PGCedit decides to pad the ifos in the backup folder. Then the log shows pad of 2 ifos with the same name. I'll run a test now and post more specifics.

Edit2: Sorry about the delay, the name of the VB Backup folder is c:\Movie\VobBlanker_backup.

Last edited by Drinken; 20th January 2006 at 17:00.