Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 14th August 2003, 18:30   #1  |  Link
fedge

resize filters

I think some work needs to be put into these filters. While, Lanzcos(sp? no i can't speeell) seems to be decent for high bitrates in Divx etc (above 1200kbps).. and Bicubic is also similar in quality(but with a little artifacting compared to the other sharping resize filters. The simple resize, bilinear and nuetral bicubic filters always tend to artifact around contrasting colors (ie. people on a blue or light background) I ve have read a lot of other posts and this seems to be called mosquito effect. Is there a way to lessen this with settings in the other resize filters (looking for one disk sized files in the end. bitrate about 750-900kps) Ive noticed that the one that comes in Divx 5, although a pain to use, will give less artifacts than other reisze filters for avisyth 2.5, BUT(big butt here) It tends to sharpen or smooth the video quite drastically, and doing a proper resize is difficult(ratios are always wrong so vid is always either too tall or too wide).
fedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2003, 20:18   #2  |  Link
Piper

Have you tried MarcFD's BiCublin resize filter? I used to flipflop between Lanczos, BiCubic & BiLinear for reasons that you mention. After finding BiCublin, I've never looked back.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2003, 19:24   #3  |  Link
fedge

looks like something interesting to try out...

im not sure what filtered/unfiltered means though... im still a newbie to most of this stuff... im successfully creating rips with gordian knot, relying on that prog to make all the avi scripts for me... and do very little tweeking myself(only when i want to change the resize filters do i edit the file... or figure out how to change the cropping to tweek it a little more.)

I probably should just take some time to learn how to script avs files myself, ive tried before, but always with no success, some of the plugins are interesting,(the ones gordian knot doesnt use), but when i try to open the avs in virtual dub mod, it almost always says that there is an error in line XX... so i must be scripting it wrong... i guess its time to read , read, read, and experiment,(when i have about 4 hours of spare time that is.)
fedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2003, 22:36   #4  |  Link
Piper

I've never used Gordian Knot myself, so I can't comment on it, but I do know that creating your own .avs files isn't terribly difficult. Tweaking is a whole other matter. :-)

Do some experiments with a simple .avs file. Create something like:
AVISource("c:\capture.avi") and go from there.

Hope this helps.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote